Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tournaments & Leagues (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   State Tournament Schedules (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135390)

ru4por 11-19-2019 12:04 PM

State Tournament Schedules

I was hoping for some feedback.

How do various states handle tournament scheduling? Both sanctioned and non sanctioned.

Do State Coordinator duties vary from state to state?

For those that have some kind of State Championship, how is this handled. Are there berths assigned, given or won? Is it open sign up?

DavidSauls 11-19-2019 12:11 PM

I can only speak for my state of South Carolina.

We have an excellent state coordinator, who works hard to work out the schedule with TDs. He'll create a calendar with big events (A-tier & above) in and near the state, and traditional dates for state events, and distribute it to TDs. TDs will confirm dates or changes. If there are conflicts, he works hard to work them out---a tough job with an increasingly crowded calendar.

He also coordinates with the SCs of neighboring states, to minimize conflicts. And he'll put non-sanctioned events on the working calendar, as an advisory (since he has less say-so in them).

DavidSauls 11-19-2019 12:12 PM

….South Carolina has no state championship, so our SC doesn't have to deal with that.

biscoe 11-19-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3521362)
I can only speak for my state of South Carolina.

We have an excellent state coordinator, who works hard to work out the schedule with TDs. He'll create a calendar with big events (A-tier & above) in and near the state, and traditional dates for state events, and distribute it to TDs. TDs will confirm dates or changes. If there are conflicts, he works hard to work them out---a tough job with an increasingly crowded calendar.

He also coordinates with the SCs of neighboring states, to minimize conflicts. And he'll put non-sanctioned events on the working calendar, as an advisory (since he has less say-so in them).

pretty much this... no state championship here either.

Innova63 11-19-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3521359)

How do various states handle tournament scheduling? Both sanctioned and non sanctioned.

For those that have some kind of State Championship, how is this handled. Are there berths assigned, given or won? Is it open sign up?

Here in Wisconsin, we have been beyond fortunate.

Back when I started ('85 or so) "Duster" Don Hoffman (more so his wife Terre) was the central point for scheduling. When Duster stepped aside Terry (before he was "The DGGuy" ) Miller was voted in as state coordinator and really handled the "explosion" of events in the state. Terry has stepped aside and Mike Harrington (harr0140 on DGCR) has been voted in as state coordinator and is setting up the schedule now. We have a state board (WDSDA) that I believe assists in this as well.

krupicka 11-19-2019 03:27 PM

Indiana collected requests via a Google form and had a meeting where the SC worked with the TDs who want to run events (happened last Sunday).

In Illinois, I'm busy collecting requests from TDs and will start working on resolving conflicts with TDs Thursday after the 11/20 deadline I gave to TDs to get them in for the Illinois schedule. We just do this online.

Michigan (where the OP is from) has probably one of the most crowded calendars around. I don't envy Mark's job.

ru4por 11-19-2019 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupicka (Post 3521451)
Indiana collected requests via a Google form and had a meeting where the SC worked with the TDs who want to run events (happened last Sunday).

In Illinois, I'm busy collecting requests from TDs and will start working on resolving conflicts with TDs Thursday after the 11/20 deadline I gave to TDs to get them in for the Illinois schedule. We just do this online.

Michigan (where the OP is from) has probably one of the most crowded calendars around. I don't envy Mark's job.

Truth. Mark does a fantastic job!!

DiscGolfCraig 11-19-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3521365)

Is there a commonwealth championship?

biscoe 11-19-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig (Post 3521458)
Is there a commonwealth championship?

Negative oh clever one... ;)

Dcinmd 11-19-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3521365)

Is that because we have a state Frisbee tournament?

I can speak very highly of our State coordinator, I can't remember the last state event he was not involved in one capacity or another. And he even support putting leagues hour and half way. His endless energy and dedication to the sport is amazing.

I also know that a fair amount of coordination take place between, VA, DE, MD and PA on scheduling.

biscoe 11-19-2019 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcinmd (Post 3521474)
Is that because we have a state Frisbee tournament?

no. it is because no one has ever started one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcinmd (Post 3521474)
I can speak very highly of our State coordinator, I can't remember the last state event he was not involved in one capacity or another. And he even support putting leagues hour and half way. His endless energy and dedication to the sport is amazing.

I also know that a fair amount of coordination take place between, VA, DE, MD and PA on scheduling.

Bob is the best. When I was coordinator I stuck around for 2 years longer than i wanted to because I didn't feel the people who wanted the job at that point would be good for it. I was quite happy when he stepped up and he has surpassed my wildest expectations. He may be the most selfless person I know. Add WV and NC to the list of states involved.

ru4por 11-19-2019 07:27 PM

Appreciate the feedback guys. Anyone out there know about other State Championships?

Dcinmd 11-19-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3521521)
Appreciate the feedback guys. Anyone out there know about other State Championships?

PA has a rotating State Championship. Not exactly sure how it is setup.

Steve West 11-19-2019 07:57 PM

There's a map here. It shows one in VA, but I'm told there isn't one.

Cgkdisc 11-19-2019 08:08 PM

Minnesota has had an annual State Championship for over 30 years. At some point in the 80s, the Minnesota Frisbee Association - MFA (the oldest state org) created a circular wooden award divided into three pie wedge plaques. These wedges are traveling trophies awarded to the Open winner of the MN Majestic, State Championship and the MN Summer Tour Champ (or maybe the Fall Championship winner.) Only a few players in the past 40 years have won or at least held all three wedges at one time during a 12-month period.

Chris "Critter" Meyer has been running the State Championship for the MFA as a single day, 2-round PDGA event in October for several years now. Although the MFA owns the Tournament name, it seems like the MFA Board has been satisfied with Critter running it until he wants to pass it on.

ru4por 11-19-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cgkdisc (Post 3521533)
Minnesota has had an annual State Championship for over 30 years. At some point in the 80s, the Minnesota Frisbee Association - MFA (the oldest state org) created a circular wooden award divided into three pie wedge plaques. These wedges are traveling trophies awarded to the Open winner of the MN Majestic, State Championship and the MN Summer Tour Champ (or maybe the Fall Championship winner.) Only a few players in the past 40 years have won or at least held all three wedges at one time during a 12-month period.

Chris "Critter" Meyer has been running the State Championship for the MFA as a single day, 2-round PDGA event in October for several years now. Although the MFA owns the Tournament name, it seems like the MFA Board has been satisfied with Critter running it until he wants to pass it on.

Is the State Championship run like any other A/B Tier? Is there a berth or qualification system?

Cgkdisc 11-19-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3521551)
Is the State Championship run like any other A/B Tier? Is there a berth or qualification system?

Nothing special. It was a regular B-tier this year. For several years, it was run in early August with the winner becoming the MN qualifier for the USDGC when that was a thing.

DavidSauls 11-19-2019 09:07 PM

15 or 20 years ago, when tournaments weren't nearly as common, South Carolina had two state championships, plus a points series.

There was a South Carolina Disc Golf Championship, and a South Carolina Flying Disc Championship (distance, MTA, & disc golf). Both were routine events, nothing special, no qualifiers. The points series was a bigger deal.

MikeK 11-19-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

In Louisiana, there are no holds barred for tournament scheduling, as in there is no central coordinating authority or person.

State coordinator duties in Louisiana are the same as any other state.

Anyone can sign up for the Louisiana State Championships, there are no berths assigned, given, or won.

biscoe 11-20-2019 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve West (Post 3521529)
There's a map here. It shows one in VA, but I'm told there isn't one.

Isn't it your map? Which event did you use?

kenjiac 11-20-2019 10:35 AM

NY has a state championship each year. Established clubs donate some funds $100 from small clubs $200 from the larger ones. We had a change in PDGA reps recently and we as a state group of organizers went over this again last year and decided to break the state up into 5 regioins that will rotate hosting each year. It's up to the clubs in the hosting region to work together to decide which course in the region to host it at. It was out in Western NY year it will be in Central NY next year. Every other year it also is where we induct people into the NY State Disc Golf Hall of Fame.

Steve West 11-20-2019 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3521649)
Isn't it your map? Which event did you use?

I looked for events that had "championship" and a state in their name. Unfortunately, once I found one, I only copied down the results, not the event name, so I don't have a list.

biscoe 11-20-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve West (Post 3521745)
I looked for events that had "championship" and a state in their name. Unfortunately, once I found one, I only copied down the results, not the event name, so I don't have a list.

Your results are from the Virginia Junior Championships Under 15 division...

Casey 1988 11-20-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Due to South Dakota having the smallest population of any state, the South Dakota State Disc Golf championships is an Open Sign up and as of latest one they are only B tier, not even big enough to have it be A tier yet. One guy is basically going to win since he got sponsored by Latitude 64 and went pro in same year in 2016, a pro player Justin Cournoyer from Rapid City is probably going to win the State tournament. This is a Pro/Am event.

ru4por 11-21-2019 11:35 AM

Thanks for the input.

I would love to hear more about some State Championships. It seems the club running the long standing Michigan State Championship, is experiencing some growing pains. There is an effort to change the way that the tournament has been run and handled. Not that this is a bad thing, but there seem to be a lot of ideas being discussed. Any info I can gather would help me, my club and other clubs make decisions and bring ideas to the table.

Sorry for badgering the sage collective of DGCR. :D

Innova63 11-21-2019 03:38 PM

It's been years since I played tournaments, so I am not sure how true it is now.

Here in Wisconsin, the tour (going on for over 25 years straight) finale is an invite only. Qualified by earning point @ tour events. I believe to even be considered to be part of the tour the event must be a PDGA B-tier or higher and have an established TD. Funny thing is the tour finale is not a PDGA event. At the finale tour champions are crowned, but the finale does not count in the tour. So I guess we don't have championship tournament, but a tour championship.

crazykrug 11-21-2019 03:52 PM

MDeeter can tell you about what he does for Iowa as he is our State Coordinator.

Norvelljeff 12-03-2019 01:45 PM

Colorado State Championship was a 3 day A tier on two beautiful courses in Pueblo, CO, and Colorado Springs, CO. It was not invite only and open sign-ups. Pro/Am pools alternated courses. Was awesome.