Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brodie Smith PDGA #128378 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135632)

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyBear (Post 3617516)
Everyone telling he doesn't belong on pro tour, what would you tell to everyone who he beat in Idlewild? You don't belong here?

You should quote who said this because I haven't seen anyone say what you claim.

bobmcnelly 08-11-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3617515)
ugh brodie is another one of those "there's no such thing as spoilers in sports" people. it's one thing to think that, another thing to be a total dbag about it. I was kinda starting to come around to the guy again but the past few weeks have done a quick u-turn on that

You have two options. 1. Watch it live. 2. Avoid social media for 24 to 48 hours. That is all.

Streets 08-11-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcnelly (Post 3617587)
You have two options. 1. Watch it live. 2. Avoid social media for 24 to 48 hours. That is all.

You should add:

3. Stop being a Karen

autocrosscrx 08-11-2020 11:20 AM

The first video with Paul and Simon was brutal.

...but I enjoy following the non-screaming, humble, eager to learn, hard working Brodie.

I think it very exciting to be able to follow the progress of someone basically starting from scratch with access to all the resources.

araytx 08-11-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3617276)
I've never seen anyone post, "Hey check out this cat video, it'll be the 76th best cat video you'll see this weekend".

I once had a person show me somewhere near that number of cat videos in ONE DAY. They can't all be in the top 10. And why make the situations totally parallel. I wasn't. Do you ever watch FPO coverage, btw?

robdeforge 08-11-2020 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcnelly (Post 3617587)
You have two options. 1. Watch it live. 2. Avoid social media for 24 to 48 hours. That is all.

yea that one was my fault 100% - was trying to avoid spoilers while watching his stories and literally clicked forward one too many times. so definitely not his fault here, not trying to say or suggest that.

but there definitely can be spoilers in live sports because not everybody is able to watch things live. this isn't like a crazy fringe idea....

when you're watching soccer on NBC sports, there is this option to hide spoilers of other live matches:
https://i.imgur.com/4EbMMCI.png

an all time favorite ad:
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DBc/hyundai...tbol-avoidance

disc golf subreddit has a rule for not spoiling the results of a tournament in the title of a post for a week after the tournament: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co...rs_within_two/

I'm a fan of rocket league, and the subreddit recently instituted something of a 24 hour anti-spoiler rule: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeagu...titles_within/

you can act like you're 100% right and everybody else is being ridiculous, but then you're just a jerk

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by araytx (Post 3617661)
I once had a person show me somewhere near that number of cat videos in ONE DAY. They can't all be in the top 10. And why make the situations totally parallel. I wasn't. Do you ever watch FPO coverage, btw?

No I don't. I respect all women but the pro disc golfers are not good enough to watch. Their constant scoring spread shows that, for one.

Now post how they can beat me in a round as if that's a reason to watch. :rolleyes:

bobmcnelly 08-11-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3617666)
yea that one was my fault 100% - was trying to avoid spoilers while watching his stories and literally clicked forward one too many times. so definitely not his fault here, not trying to say or suggest that.

but there definitely can be spoilers in live sports because not everybody is able to watch things live. this isn't like a crazy fringe idea....

when you're watching soccer on NBC sports, there is this option to hide spoilers of other live matches:
https://i.imgur.com/4EbMMCI.png

an all time favorite ad:
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7DBc/hyundai...tbol-avoidance

disc golf subreddit has a rule for not spoiling the results of a tournament in the title of a post for a week after the tournament: https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co...rs_within_two/

I'm a fan of rocket league, and the subreddit recently instituted something of a 24 hour anti-spoiler rule: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeagu...titles_within/

you can act like you're 100% right and everybody else is being ridiculous, but then you're just a jerk

That commercial is hilarious.

I just imagine a day when you go to ESPN's website and you'll see "Paul McBeth wins 6th World Title" and say "spoilers!"

I feel like soccer is slightly different in the sense of it's played all over the world so there are games that air at 2 in the morning in the US sometimes. I can't imagine ESPN having a spoiler blocker for the Superbowl or any other mainstream sport. I know disc golf is no one near any of the sports in terms of viewing but we would like it to be.

Watching live sports is more fun.

takman 08-11-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3617281)
I only watch the top rated players in any sport, this isn't about movies. Or babies or cats.

So if one of the players on a card isn't top rated, do you turn away every shot to avoid potential contamination of the senses?

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takman (Post 3617696)
So if one of the players on a card isn't top rated, do you turn away every shot to avoid potential contamination of the senses?

Oh gosh!! You got me there. :rolleyes:

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 02:24 PM

Why did DGPT keep cutting away from the lead card Sunday? And why are people not complaining about them cutting away from the lead card Sunday?

robdeforge 08-11-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobmcnelly (Post 3617679)
That commercial is hilarious.

I just imagine a day when you go to ESPN's website and you'll see "Paul McBeth wins 6th World Title" and say "spoilers!"

I feel like soccer is slightly different in the sense of it's played all over the world so there are games that air at 2 in the morning in the US sometimes. I can't imagine ESPN having a spoiler blocker for the Superbowl or any other mainstream sport. I know disc golf is no one near any of the sports in terms of viewing but we would like it to be.

Watching live sports is more fun.

I pretty much agree with you, and I watch a mix of the two. I used to really not like live coverage but the extra cameras to provide other coverage is just what the doctor ordered. this time, just didn't have the time to watch on Sunday and figured I would wait for post produced after a certain point.

"Daddy, we won!" gets me every time

dehaas 08-11-2020 02:45 PM

Couple of thoughts on a few things...

It was mentioned that KJUSA was a punter in college. I would expect in highschool he played an offensive or defensive position also, if not both, and just happened to be the best punter on his team so he did that also. Chances were probably slim of playing in college at whatever his "regular" position was, and was a good enough punter to be able to play at the next level. Same principle as guys who pitch in MLB...in high school all those guys were star athletes and played out in the field on days they weren't on the mound. Get far enough along and you become a dedicated pitcher...so when you see MLB pitchers who are terrible at the plate it's just because their focus is elsewhere now. I'd be curious to see how long KJ has been playing, I'd expect close to 10 years?

McBeth also talked fairly openly here about his chances to play baseball beyond highschool, and chose to dedicate his time to disc golf instead. Dude wasn't some random kid who just picked up a few discs and was a natural overnight. He's been playing for quite some time too...

So I think Brodie definitely has an advantage over a lot of new players, sure he's been playing ultimate for a long time and there is definitely some overlap as far as skill set is concerned. There are also some differences though, and others have commented on how they think those are still holding him back to a certain extent. He'll get there, he's been playing for less than a year. The ultimate background has him on the fast track from a pure throwing perspective, but he still needs time to learn the "golf" part of disc golf. The one thing I do like about his videos is how he is always asking questions after a lot of his shots. He's trying to learn when it makes sense to throw one certain type of shot as opposed to another, things like that ultimately need playing experience, and will be what shaves a couple strokes per round. Dude appears to have the desire to actually learn the game and do what it takes to be competing at a higher level. I'm pretty sure he knows there are a lot of high expectations out of him, as fair or unfair as those may be.

He also has some different views of how to "grow the sport". I personally don't think disc golf needs to mirror ball golf completely to be successful, but I do like some of his ideas. He mentioned on one of the Foundation podcasts that there needs to be a larger focus on the stories unwinding at some of these bigger events...if it's a lower rated player making their way up to a lead or chase card or whatever the story may be. I think that's what draws a lot of us to sports in general, the drama and ability to overcome adversity and perform when it matters.

I can definitely see why people might tune him out though, he's not proved himself on the highest stage yet and is rocking the boat a bit. He also understands the concept of promoting himself as far as social media and youtube is concerned. I think we're starting to see other top level players follow suit, Simon probably the best example of that.

DiscFifty 08-11-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3617558)
More athletes are coming, will be fun to watch.

I'm guessing there is a plethora of potential high level athletes from just about any sport who worked hard their entire life to "make it" only to find themselves in their 20s, 30s with no college scholarship, no pro career, etc. Those are the guys that could end up slinging discs as well.

And for those that don't care for Brodie...quit posting your drivel here, we get it already. :rolleyes:

Like others have said, his fans really don't care what his rating is or how well he plays. There is no doubt, he probably kicks himself in the ass on more than one occasion lately for not taking the game more serious years ago. If he sticks with the game, getting into the top 10 will be much more likely in the master's division.

R-Ogre 08-11-2020 04:13 PM

For as much as certain people hate Brodie, they’re certainly doing a good job keeping this thread near the top of the recent threads list...

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 04:40 PM

That's the other thing. Anything except praising Brodie is considered hate by you super fan boys.

McCready 08-11-2020 05:01 PM

I don’t love or hate him, just find the obsession with him kind of weird. Definitely a cool story to be 983 rated already, but he’s not someone I’m thinking about when I watch the pros.

araytx 08-11-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3617276)
I've never seen anyone post, "Hey check out this cat video, it'll be the 76th best cat video you'll see this weekend".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3617673)
No I don't. I respect all women but the pro disc golfers are not good enough to watch. Their constant scoring spread shows that, for one.

Now post how they can beat me in a round as if that's a reason to watch. :rolleyes:

Nah, I respect that.

I personally do watch it. Maybe to see how well I compare. Or maybe for the same reasons I *sometimes* watch the WNBA, LPGA tour, WTA, -- or even NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. They are all better athletes than I at what they do; I simply enjoy watching competitive sport. Like movies, they don't have to be "the best work or art" in order for me to want to watch. But that's just me. I get that it's different strokes for different folks. I was just asking there.

araytx 08-11-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 3617709)
Couple of thoughts on a few things...

It was mentioned that KJUSA was a punter in college. I would expect in highschool he played an offensive or defensive position also, if not both, and just happened to be the best punter on his team so he did that also. Chances were probably slim of playing in college at whatever his "regular" position was, and was a good enough punter to be able to play at the next level. Same principle as guys who pitch in MLB...in high school all those guys were star athletes and played out in the field on days they weren't on the mound. Get far enough along and you become a dedicated pitcher...so when you see MLB pitchers who are terrible at the plate it's just because their focus is elsewhere now. I'd be curious to see how long KJ has been playing, I'd expect close to 10 years?

...


Don't know how long he's been playing dg, but he was receiver and safety in high school and WR college for a bit.

https://arkansastechsports.com/sport...evin-jones/848

And the Ultiworld story from 3 years ago.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/...s-kevin-jones/

brutalbrutus 08-11-2020 08:02 PM

There's Sean Tapley also. He was a WR in college and was on Local Routes New Year's Day event in Cali. Dude crushes but seems to have plateaued for the moment in the 970 range.

McCready 08-11-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3617701)
Why did DGPT keep cutting away from the lead card Sunday? And why are people not complaining about them cutting away from the lead card Sunday?

Because it was no longer the lead card?

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3617870)
Because it was no longer the lead card?

Hey, maybe if I spin it he won't notice... :rolleyes:

...the answer is because they were showing the best golf.

McCready 08-11-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3617873)
Hey, maybe if I spin it he won't notice... :rolleyes:

...the answer is because they were showing the best golf.

So we agree. :hfive:

Jay Dub 08-11-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3617879)
So we agree. :hfive:

No we don't agree in the context of this conversation. Nice try though. :thmbup:

McCready 08-11-2020 08:46 PM

Does Bogey have any signature discs or swag like shirts and hats that I could buy? I don’t know what it is, I just want to follow his career now.

Jimb 08-11-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3617885)
Does Bogey have any signature discs or swag like shirts and hats that I could buy? I donít know what it is, I just want to follow his career now.

I'm sure that Bogey could work something up for you! :)

For Brodie I'd check out Foundation Disc Golf, Discraft's site, or Brodie's YT channel.

wolfhaley 08-11-2020 10:31 PM

We need some BogeyNoMore shirts and hats. 😁

brutalbrutus 08-11-2020 10:43 PM

Here's the store linked on his YT channel. Doesn't look like he has any DG specific apparel yet(there is some Darkhorse stuff though) and his discs are sold out...https://brodiesmith21.com/collections/frontpage

He should get some Get Freaky stuff. I imagine it would sell pretty well.

thecandydan 08-11-2020 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takman (Post 3617696)
So if one of the players on a card isn't top rated, do you turn away every shot to avoid potential contamination of the senses?

My young son & I are playing our club's handicap league (we are a doubles team, each playing singles). We played against a team one night where the B-player (his opponent) had poor form. On the drive home he told me that every time his opponent started to throw he would close his eyes and open them only when he thought the throw was nearly over because he didn't want to see it. Lol

aredoubles 08-12-2020 11:54 AM


disco40 08-12-2020 12:54 PM

Feels like 5 down is a good realistic target for him, but I could see him either getting hot or throwing a lot of OB.

Brodie's technique on his more powerful shots is coming along nicely. He barely looks like a noob now, he looks like a real player. Impressive.

jakebake91 08-12-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugular (Post 3617561)
Surely there needs to be plenty more money in it yet before this is a thing?

Coming over from Ultimate (where there isn't much money to be made) and coming over from something which has an enormous potential upside (NFL or MLB) is quite a different prospect. Outside of KJ, who was a serious athlete in one of those big money US sports that's made the switch?

Wouldn't call him a top pro, but the Sheldon guy that was just on CCDG card, bombing 80+ mph FHs was a minor league pitcher (or high end college?) I thought Ian said.

sidewinder22 08-12-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugular (Post 3617561)
Surely there needs to be plenty more money in it yet before this is a thing?

Coming over from Ultimate (where there isn't much money to be made) and coming over from something which has an enormous potential upside (NFL or MLB) is quite a different prospect. Outside of KJ, who was a serious athlete in one of those big money US sports that's made the switch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3618360)
Wouldn't call him a top pro, but the Sheldon guy that was just on CCDG card, bombing 80+ mph FHs was a minor league pitcher (or high end college?) I thought Ian said.

I don't know about a switch per say. KJUSA has been playing disc golf since early teens.

Same with McBeth who said he was serious about baseball.

Not sure Sheldon was in minors, but college for sure.

Wiggin's waited to turn pro in disc golf for some time because he wanted to play college baseball.

I think Pat Brown and Nikko were avid skateboarders.

Ben Askren from MMA

Emoney 08-12-2020 08:29 PM

Brodie needs to get with Austin Hannum and discuss forehand technique. They are both pretty wristy but Brodie is way too nose up. The biggest flaw in his game seems to be distance forehand.
Everything else is average to good. I really like his simple step putt.

kp_1024 08-12-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3618376)
Brodie needs to get with Austin Hannum and discuss forehand technique. They are both pretty wristy but Brodie is way too nose up. The biggest flaw in his game seems to be distance forehand.
Everything else is average to good. I really like his simple step putt.

Hopefully his performance on Idlewild 15 shows him this is true.

DiscJunkie 08-12-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3618376)
Brodie needs to get with Austin Hannum and discuss forehand technique. They are both pretty wristy but Brodie is way too nose up. The biggest flaw in his game seems to be distance forehand.
Everything else is average to good. I really like his simple step putt.

I think he knows that he throws nose-up.
Bad habit from Ultimate days.
Ultimate lids are so understable that they throw them nose-up to gain stability and distance.
Believe he is working on it.
Repetitions...

brutalbrutus 08-12-2020 09:34 PM

He talked about it during the podcast last week but you could tell he did a lot of FH practice between DGLO and Idlewild. He still had a few bad ones, including that one that slipped right out of his hand on 15 in round 3.

brutalbrutus 08-13-2020 12:48 PM


brutalbrutus 08-13-2020 01:11 PM

Northwood taking a bite out of him so far. 3 bogeys thru 4 to start.

McCready 08-13-2020 01:20 PM

Gettin freaky.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.