Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Michigan New Course Updates (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059)

apdrvya 09-08-2014 09:25 PM

yessir, I aim to please

davetherocketguy 09-14-2014 09:58 PM

Just played the new layout for Lake Township today - twice. MUCH better IMHO. Probably around a 3 or 3.5 disc rating from me depending on what the Township installs. Just having concrete teepads will be huge. The holes along the fences are gone as are the idiotic crossing fairways. It'll be a great beginner to intermediate course that Am2's and up will still find interesting. Heck, some water will actually come into play.

King_Scooter 09-19-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2567214)
added a course at Caledonia HS south of grand rapids today. 9-hole, decent little course. nothing block buster but it's there.

nice. i'll have to check this out soon. i got a couple i never knew about in area to check as well. Smaller, simple design courses like this one. Jenison is one of them.

apdrvya 09-19-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Scooter (Post 2577628)
nice. i'll have to check this out soon. i got a couple i never knew about in area to check as well. Smaller, simple design courses like this one. Jenison is one of them.

i did not like jenison

Puckstopper 09-19-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2562859)
I have played and reviewed Whiskey Creek. Great course just still needs a LOT of work.

That part of the state has so many great courses already, but it will be nice to have another good course to play when I hit Flip again next year.

fullnelson 09-20-2014 02:16 PM

Per Bonnie Brook DGC Facebook page...
"We are happy to announce we have an opening day! This Monday 9-22-14 at 8 am we are open for business!"

fullnelson 09-22-2014 09:38 AM

Update... Due to the rain over the weekend, the course is flooded in some areas, and the opening is postponed for a couple days.

apdrvya 09-22-2014 01:26 PM

I added this course to the database a couple days ago. then I look yesterday and there's a new course in Iron Mountain... FML

flip_hyzer 09-24-2014 01:39 PM

Bonnie Broook in Detroit (8 mile and Telegraph) apparently just opened

BogeyNoMore 09-24-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip_hyzer (Post 2581002)

Might check it out next week.

fullnelson 09-24-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip_hyzer (Post 2581002)

Played this morning! A little muddy and rough around the edges, but in time, I think this is going to be a great course.

Geof734 09-24-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullnelson (Post 2581045)
Played this morning! A little muddy and rough around the edges, but in time, I think this is going to be a great course.

awesome. May be just as close as belle isle to me.

King_Scooter 09-28-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2577634)
i did not like jenison

yea, i just checked it out. Not that good at all. It did get frustrating that 3 of the 4 holes I played around the soccer field, my disc rolled down into charlie's dump. :wall:

I had my cardio in by hole 5.

The lack of any idea for tee pads and directions suck, but maybe in the future they'd add that.

esdubya 09-29-2014 04:08 PM

Bonnie Brook is legit! Elevation, OB Water, some very difficult holes, some easy ones. As it stands right now I would give it an A-, but with a bit more love, and some concrete pads it should be a solid A and one of the better courses in SE Michigan. I don't know why it wasn't on here, so I added it..

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7150

BogeyNoMore 10-01-2014 10:35 PM

Just played Bonnie Brook for the 1st time today. Like it a lot... bought season pass #60. Ted & Lydia have done a really nice job creating a course that's inviting, fun, challenging, and quite unique for this area. I really hope this works out well for them. Don't plan to review it until I've played it a few times and have good feel for it's subtleties.

apdrvya 10-02-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdubya (Post 2584940)
Bonnie Brook is legit! Elevation, OB Water, some very difficult holes, some easy ones. As it stands right now I would give it an A-, but with a bit more love, and some concrete pads it should be a solid A and one of the better courses in SE Michigan. I don't know why it wasn't on here, so I added it..

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7150

I added it several days before you did but it was deleted. not sure if I posted a few days too early before it was "officially" open or what happened. Timg only likes me on wednesdays.

blg723 10-02-2014 01:11 PM

I would love to Play Bonnie Brock. It really stinks that I am not old enough to play it though because it says you must be 18 and up

esdubya 10-02-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2587526)
I added it several days before you did but it was deleted. not sure if I posted a few days too early before it was "officially" open or what happened. Timg only likes me on wednesdays.

I thought I remembered seeing it on here.. But then it was gone.

I like how Detroit now has two courses, with two distinct characters (and both provide a safe environment to play a round I may add).

Distance-wise, they could not be farther apart! Bonnie Brook on the far northwest corner, then Belle Isle on the far south-east corner. Might actually be the farthest possible away with still being in the same city.

Both on defunct ball golf courses. BB has elevation, while BI has the island character and water shots. BI definitely needs to do more trimming to get up to par with BB though. It would be cool to see the 'before' shots of BB. Judging by the dead stuff on the ground the grass/weeds were really high out there before the trimming started.

BogeyNoMore 10-02-2014 02:52 PM

Speaking of Belle Isle: Battle At The Belle 3 is this Sunday! Spots are still available.

Yeah, it'd be hard to pick two places within the city limits any farther from each other... and each course fills a pretty bigh DG void in the area. Technically, Lola Valley, The Farm and Lawrence Tech aren't far from BB, but they're not in the same league at all.

I helped with some of the work on BB - some of the earlier holes near Telegraph Rd had some sort of stalky/weedy type of crap that grew about 4 ft high and pretty dense... the kind of stuff that makes searching for a disc really suck. Pretty sure they used a brush hog to clear all that out, but it's pretty nice now. Fairways are fairly generous before rough gets ugly, except where Ted specifically intended to make you hold a tight line.

BB plays fine with the natural tees, but as low as that plot of land lies, I can see the ground staying very soft for daaaays after it rains, resulting in some nasty tees down the road. No clue if they plan to pour concrete in the future (prolly depends on the how much $$ the course generates), but at least they'll have a bunch of rounds under their belt to make sure they know exactly where they want to the tees before they pour concrete (assuming they want to do so). Unlike pin placements, it pretty hard to move a tee once you pour. :\

BI needs concrete for a different reason, but it too would really benefit from better tees, not to mention signage.

donnyv 10-02-2014 03:14 PM

There is hope for Lawrence Tech

My buddy Bart goes to school there and helped redesign the course this fall. I haven't played it but it sounds like they have already changed it up a bit. They have a tourney there Oct 12 with the new layout.

BogeyNoMore 10-02-2014 05:08 PM

IMO, as long as LTU has holes that throw parallel to, and in proximity of, busy roads (still the case with 3 or 4 holes when I played there in June), it will continue to suck. I don't mean moderately busy, I mean 10 Mile Road and the service drive for Northwestern Hwy. I'm not saying it's that hard to hit the desired landing zone, but it's waayyy too easy for an errant shot go into the street. One thing drivers most definitely aren't looking out for is flying discs.

Hole 7 or so at Brys may be even worse... too easy for a disc to get flippy and head directly into oncoming traffic on northbound I-94. I think holes like that to a disservice to the sport, and an even bigger disservice to the community.

$0.02 :\

Future_Primitive 10-02-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2587674)
Speaking of Belle Isle: Battle At The Belle 3 is this Sunday! Spots are still available.

Came very close to going myself but our League season starts the same day and I am already traveling to play on Saturday. Good luck out there Canadian Champ :D

Good luck to Ru4por as well, tear it up team DGCR. :hfive:

esdubya 10-03-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Future_Primitive (Post 2587858)
Came very close to going myself but our League season starts the same day and I am already traveling to play on Saturday. Good luck out there Canadian Champ :D

Good luck to Ru4por as well, tear it up team DGCR. :hfive:

I'll be out at Belle Isle as well, but helping out, not playing.. :hfive:

apdrvya 10-05-2014 04:28 PM

added a new 18 hole course in East Jordan today.
Per Todd Lewis, she's open for play
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7159

Chanbearguy 10-06-2014 12:01 PM

Anyone know if they are going to put the air zoo baskets ata new location?

apdrvya 10-06-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanbearguy (Post 2590974)

excellent question.

ru4por 10-06-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanbearguy (Post 2590974)

I would think KAces would be in the know.

ru4por 10-13-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2590414)
added a new 18 hole course in East Jordan today.
Per Todd Lewis, she's open for play
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7159

Could not find this course this weekend. Spent quite a while walking around and searching without any sign of it. There are a couple Whiting Parks right here, a beach side park, with a campground next to it and a park office park across the street. The park office entrance matched the directions. Too bad, I was looking to play a flat course. After a couple days of Avalanche, Boyne and Charlevoix, a flatlander style was a welcome change of pace.

TheDGEmcee 10-13-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2587843)
IMO, as long as LTU has holes that throw parallel to, and in proximity of, busy roads (still the case with 3 or 4 holes when I played there in June), it will continue to suck. I don't mean moderately busy, I mean 10 Mile Road and the service drive for Northwestern Hwy. I'm not saying it's that hard to hit the desired landing zone, but it's waayyy too easy for an errant shot go into the street. One thing drivers most definitely aren't looking out for is flying discs.

Hole 7 or so at Brys may be even worse... too easy for a disc to get flippy and head directly into oncoming traffic on northbound I-94. I think holes like that to a disservice to the sport, and an even bigger disservice to the community.

$0.02 :\

Where is this at? Never heard of it.

and Air Zoo... doubts are they will have course there, not sure about future but the new tower they may possibly do some demolition on old tower but likely to turn into parking lot? not sure.

apdrvya 10-14-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 2598037)
Could not find this course this weekend. Spent quite a while walking around and searching without any sign of it. There are a couple Whiting Parks right here, a beach side park, with a campground next to it and a park office park across the street. The park office entrance matched the directions. Too bad, I was looking to play a flat course. After a couple days of Avalanche, Boyne and Charlevoix, a flatlander style was a welcome change of pace.

I am asking for directions from Todd Lewis. He should be able to give me directions so I can update.
and holy s#it yeah, mt mcsauba is a monster of a course. There is no more physical course in michigan.

BogeyNoMore 10-14-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDGEmcee (Post 2598247)
Where is this at? Never heard of it.

and Air Zoo... doubts are they will have course there, not sure about future but the new tower they may possibly do some demolition on old tower but likely to turn into parking lot? not sure.

LTU = Lawrence Technological University
Brys Park

ru4por 10-14-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2598609)
I am asking for directions from Todd Lewis. He should be able to give me directions so I can update.
and holy s#it yeah, mt mcsauba is a monster of a course. There is no more physical course in michigan.

I will get back up that way. I love staying at Boyne and hitting those dozen or better courses within an hour, I was just excited to see another down the street. I would probably agree apdrvya, McSauba is a beast and very well could be the toughest physical course in the state. Holes 14 through 20 are not too bad, nor are the first 5 or so, but man, inbetween. Avalanche had a hole A and hole B mowed, layed out, but no baskets. Great idea there, the two holes are put into a couple of the big walks between holes.

apdrvya 10-15-2014 09:25 AM

so, between 2 and 3 and 9 and 10? those are some longer walks.
yeah. that course is pretty sweet but the disappointment of not throwing down the mountain is pretty overwhelming.
last year I did a trip from sault ste marie to st ignace to mackinac to harbor springs x2 to petoskey. stayed the night in petoskey. went to charlevoix then boyne city, then boyne falls... helluva trip over two days... so many epic courses. next time you're up there, hit up blissfest. really surprisingly awesome.

apdrvya 10-15-2014 11:15 AM

ok, I have updated the listing for Community Park in East Jordan. Whiting park is completely the wrong park. Google maps lead me to the wrong place. I have messaged Timg to fix the listing title.

ru4por 10-22-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2599568)
so, between 2 and 3 and 9 and 10? those are some longer walks.
yeah. that course is pretty sweet but the disappointment of not throwing down the mountain is pretty overwhelming.
last year I did a trip from sault ste marie to st ignace to mackinac to harbor springs x2 to petoskey. stayed the night in petoskey. went to charlevoix then boyne city, then boyne falls... helluva trip over two days... so many epic courses. next time you're up there, hit up blissfest. really surprisingly awesome.

Got to play both Blissfest and Wild Haven on a trip up North earlier this summer. Both were a pleasant surprise. I have tried to find Blissfest a couple times and my GPS caused me to pull into some guys driveway. Finally gave up a year ago. A little more persistence paid off this year. Very, very nice courses.

ru4por 10-22-2014 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2599684)
ok, I have updated the listing for Community Park in East Jordan. Whiting park is completely the wrong park. Google maps lead me to the wrong place. I have messaged Timg to fix the listing title.

Thanks apdrvya. Probably look to check it out next season. :hfive:

apdrvya 10-23-2014 01:12 AM

Yeah, blissfest took some doing to find but it is pretty p
amazing. I really liked wild haven as well...
Yvw on the east Jordan course...

esdubya 11-03-2014 12:06 PM

Belle Isle DGC now in hibernation, see you in the spring..

ru4por 11-03-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdubya (Post 2614549)
Belle Isle DGC now in hibernation, see you in the spring..

Sleep well, my new friend....sleep well.

apdrvya 11-05-2014 11:47 AM

Flip City is close for improvements for the winter.
Seriously folks, don't cry.
It'll be ok.