Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Michigan New Course Updates (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059)

ru4por 07-08-2015 01:51 PM

Stunning course, well manicured. A challenge for all levels. Michigan players should do themselves a favor and check out this course. Just a great setup for tournaments as well. Kudos, Donny.

donnyv 07-08-2015 02:21 PM

Thanks buddy :)
Glad you had a chance to check it out! I'm busting butt to get the rest of the course ready by fall. Bring the gang up with ya when the leaves are changing in early October. It's awesome out here!

http://www.discgolfscene.com/media/222820_g.jpg

http://www.discgolfscene.com/media/222821_g.jpg

http://www.discgolfscene.com/media/222825_g.jpg

http://www.discgolfscene.com/media/222781_g.jpg

http://www.discgolfscene.com/media/222823_g.jpg

goosefraba1 07-08-2015 02:42 PM

Man that is a beautiful course... I can't wait to get a chance to play it.

BogeyNoMore 07-08-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnyv (Post 2804572)
Thanks buddy :)
Glad you had a chance to check it out! I'm busting butt to get the rest of the course ready by fall. Bring the gang up with ya when the leaves are changing in early October. It's awesome out here!

I'm taking you up on that, Donny! :hfive: While I'm out that way, I'll try to hit Sage Creek, too!

mbntheman 07-09-2015 02:31 PM

My brother & I had the pleasure of playing Mill Creek and few months ago - looking forward to playing it again soon (thanks again Donny).

Any one have any info about the new course opening in New Boston or how the plans for the Sterling Hts course is coming along?

donnyv 07-09-2015 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbntheman (Post 2805361)
My brother & I had the pleasure of playing Mill Creek and few months ago - looking forward to playing it again soon (thanks again Donny).

Any one have any info about the new course opening in New Boston or how the plans for the Sterling Hts course is coming along?

Your welcome buddy!

I haven't heard anything about the Sterling Heights course in a while. I know John has been busy with Stony's expansion and running USADGC and GLO this year.

I hope to start working on the back nine and re-alignment this fall/winter at East China and I think Neil is plotting out Ira's expansion. Josh and Kevin are working with Marysville for a course and Rory has an awesome piece of disc golf land going in at Croswell. 2016 is already looking good!

esdubya 07-13-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2804700)
I'm taking you up on that, Donny! :hfive: While I'm out that way, I'll try to hit Sage Creek, too!

Please let me know when this is happening! :D

Reniger 07-13-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkoz (Post 2745150)
Exciting news for Grand isle park in Plainfield two.(Grand Rapids). The baskets are in the process of being ordered. Depending upon the amount of rain we get this spring we will have the course set up around June.
It will be a full 18, with a couple par 4 holes. At present it will be only disc golf in the park. The twp. Has plans to add to the park amenities but there is no plan for development at present. The course will be in parts of the park not affected by other activities, except the potential extension of the white pine trail along the rivers edge.

The funding for the course is possible from a donation from the Rotary club in full for the entire cost. Big shout out to them for making this possible.

The park is along the grand river and it has a tendency to flood. So let's all pray for light rains. It is a mostly open park with little elevation. However there are some ponds that will come in to play.

The course designer is Mike Durco.
The course will have new prodigy baskets.
The course will be another nice addition to the north side of Grand Rapids.

Hope this info finds you well this spring!

Same designer as Fallasburg? Nice. Any updates on progress? Any need for volunteers? It's a bit of a drive from the Lowell/Cascade area, but, I'd love to help if needed and would be even more excited to play it! The Arroyo Vortex looks amazing, but, I haven't made it out to Huver Dam to check out Kevin's design.

Cheers.

ru4por 07-13-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2804700)

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdubya (Post 2807683)

Me three, please. Seriously, start thinking about some weekend dates, Bogey. We email both courses and get this thing on the books. I am not available the weekend of Aug 15th. Other than that I am pretty much open.

sgamerp 07-15-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reniger (Post 2807694)
Same designer as Fallasburg? Nice. Any updates on progress? Any need for volunteers? It's a bit of a drive from the Lowell/Cascade area, but, I'd love to help if needed and would be even more excited to play it! The Arroyo Vortex looks amazing, but, I haven't made it out to Huver Dam to check out Kevin's design.

Cheers.

If you ever go to DiscBaron, or talk to Jake, I know he is helping some, and may have some information.

TimSyl 07-15-2015 11:18 AM

Meyer Broadway, Three Rivers update. Cement pads are all in, longs and shorts on North, added short cement pads on South/Original. (Hole 5, 7, 10 South and hole 8 North have one pad). Double chains will be added to the South course Discatchers baskets by this weekend.

Jukeshoe 07-15-2015 12:16 PM

^Noice! :hfive:

Mushin No Shin and I ran into TimSyl hard at work at MB Original a couple of weeks back. Mowing, true to his word. :) :thmbup: :cool:

The new wooded holes that replace the missing originals are awesome. I don't even mind losing the long mando hole (old #5) because of the wooded elevation that replaced it. The new signs are a HUGE upgrade over the old handmade (but very worn/vandalized) signage.

Can't wait to get back up there and see the new tees! Keep up the good work, sir!

MHaas 07-15-2015 04:44 PM

Anybody hear anything on Grizzly Oaks lately? Impact on the course from construction, any plans to re-open, etc?

kw83028 07-15-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHaas (Post 2809372)
Anybody hear anything on Grizzly Oaks lately? Impact on the course from construction, any plans to re-open, etc?

I'm interested too. I haven't heard anything in a long time. I know that the new stadium that they built definitely wiped out at least a few holes, if not more. If worse comes to worse it could easily still be a 9 holer, but I think that there's still opportunity to redesign and make something out of it. I'm hoping!

BogeyNoMore 07-16-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esdubya (Post 2807683)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 2807696)
Me three, please. Seriously, start thinking about some weekend dates, Bogey. We email both courses and get this thing on the books. I am not available the weekend of Aug 15th. Other than that I am pretty much open.

I'll see what I can do gentlemen! I'm thinking some weekend in Sept. Will contact both of you.

davetherocketguy 07-16-2015 09:14 AM

Looks like Lake Michigan college (in Benton Harbor) has a disc golf course in the works around the new dorms on campus. Unless things drastically change it's going to be another wide open 200-250' boring 9 holer that's way too close to everything else. Anyone with contacts to LMC are encouraged to contact them in the hopes of avoiding this potential abortion of a course. Tee pads aren't in yet and will be going in this fall so there is hope...

ru4por 07-16-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2809657)
I'll see what I can do gentlemen! I'm thinking some weekend in Sept. Will contact both of you.

Hoooray!!! Bogey! Bogey! Bogey! :thmbup:

apdrvya 07-16-2015 03:10 PM

Review, pictures and a map posted for lighthouse christian ministries in Grand Haven... not a bad little ace run course.

apdrvya 07-20-2015 01:36 PM

added a "tone pole" course on Sawyer AFB in Gwinn (U.P.) to the list today.
Will have to attempt it next time we're in the yoop.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/K_I_Sawyer_DGC

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=7789

superberry 07-20-2015 03:06 PM

Add this one then too.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/courses...Bible_Camp_DGC

Actually supposed to be private and many people who play were never invited and the owners also wish they had never found out.

sgamerp 07-21-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMittenDG (Post 2789062)
Btw. SGAMPERP. I got your Buzzz. Inbox me your adress

seeing as I sent you my address a month ago, I am guessing this was all a joke.

B3NDER 07-21-2015 11:19 AM

joke's on you

maybe he's throwing it to your house.

apdrvya 07-22-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superberry (Post 2812718)
Add this one then too.

http://www.discgolfscene.com/courses...Bible_Camp_DGC

Actually supposed to be private and many people who play were never invited and the owners also wish they had never found out.

I added the other course before we talked about it.
I have asked timg for further guidance on whether it should stay in the listings or not.
As a rule, I don't add private courses to the listings but this one looked pretty publicly accessible.
~J

superberry 07-22-2015 12:52 PM

Albert Township is currently developing an 18 hole course at the township park in Lewiston MI. I did a site evaluation there in April and last I heard they are in construction and plan to open in August.

apdrvya 07-22-2015 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superberry (Post 2814175)
Albert Township is currently developing an 18 hole course at the township park in Lewiston MI. I did a site evaluation there in April and last I heard they are in construction and plan to open in August.

jesus, that's more remote than most of the up

esdubya 07-31-2015 02:29 PM

Right from the horses mouth at Independence Lake Red Hawk DGC: After discussing some areas for improvement, the park staff is taking on an aggressive approach to the tall weeds in a few strategic areas where discs tend to land most often. Next time you play here look for wider fairways where it is most needed.

www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3096

Disc Golf Live 08-01-2015 09:20 AM

I wondered what that horse did when he's not hanging out with Hannah.

Thanks for the note, Scott.

After some pestering, there has been a bit of secondary mowing along some fairway edges at Hudson Mills. Not much, but a little.

Joe

Mushin No Shin 08-01-2015 10:46 AM

Norway Mountain in da UP is in great shape for a 2 month old course. About 7500 feet :) Currently the holes play on the slopes, with only 3 uphillers. They pick you up after the first 9, and bring you back up top for the back, then they come and pick you up again! Hopefully going forward some pin and tee positions will get tucked into treelines. For now, it's a great round of playing wind and pretty big elevation. Fairways are mowed wide, fyi. Super Fun course:)

ajbova 08-06-2015 09:55 AM

Couldn't find a thread for the course but does anybody know the current conditions of Belle Island? I am traveling from Indy to Windsor Canada and wanted to check it out on Sunday.

TimSyl 08-06-2015 10:07 AM

FYI-it's Belle Isle, not Belle Island

donnyv 08-06-2015 10:13 AM

Croswell has 9 baskets in with a temporary layout and natural tees. Haven't got over there yet to check it out but the FB pics look promising. Not sure when it will be finished and open to the public yet. I'll get a hold of the guys and see when they want her added to the directory.

ajbova 08-06-2015 10:17 AM

Is Belle Isle playable?

ru4por 08-06-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disc Golf Live (Post 2821913)
I wondered what that horse did when he's not hanging out with Hannah.

Thanks for the note, Scott.

After some pestering, there has been a bit of secondary mowing along some fairway edges at Hudson Mills. Not much, but a little.

Joe

What is wrong with tall grass?

ru4por 08-06-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajbova (Post 2825398)
Is Belle Isle playable?

Sadly, Belle Isle is closed. Hopefully only temporarily. They had a water main break on the course, combined with what is a very wet area to start with. They guys putting in all the time on the course were not able to mitigate the water issues, rendering this course unplayable. It is a State Park, be advised to not try to check it out, anyways. It is patrolled and trespassing enforced.

I might suggest a side trip to Bonnie Brook. A fantastic, private course not too far off I-96. It is in great shape, and a wonderful course. Also located on an old ball course. Honestly the only other Detroit course worth the play.

apdrvya 08-06-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 2825444)
Sadly, Belle Isle is closed. Hopefully only temporarily. They had a water main break on the course, combined with what is a very wet area to start with. They guys putting in all the time on the course were not able to mitigate the water issues, rendering this course unplayable. It is a State Park, be advised to not try to check it out, anyways. It is patrolled and trespassing enforced.

I might suggest a side trip to Bonnie Brook. A fantastic, private course not too far off I-96. It is in great shape, and a wonderful course. Also located on an old ball course. Honestly the only other Detroit course worth the play.

i'll second bonnie brook

BogeyNoMore 08-06-2015 02:55 PM

Belle Isle DGC is closed until further notice. As far as I know, the baskets haven't been pulled, but maintenance is an ongoing issue. Mowing and such isn't that big a deal on a lot of courses, but trust me, Belle Isle isn't like a lot of courses... don't mow for a while here and forget about playing, you'll never find your discs.

The State of MI signed a 30 yr lease with the City of Detroit, that began on Feb. 10, 2014. Until we can convice the state to maintain the course on a regular basis (not really sure it's feasible to for a club or group of individuals to attempt that here), I don't see things getting any better.

On the pluys side, it's quite feasible/enforeceable to make that course pay to play, so that the cost of ongoing maintenance is partially (if not totally) offset.

ru4por 08-06-2015 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2825766)
Belle Isle DGC is closed until further notice. As far as I know, the baskets haven't been pulled, but maintenance is an ongoing issue. Mowing and such isn't that big a deal on a lot of courses, but trust me, Belle Isle isn't like a lot of courses... don't mow for a while here and forget about playing, you'll never find your discs.

The State of MI signed a 30 yr lease with the City of Detroit, that began on Feb. 10, 2014. Until we can convice the state to maintain the course on a regular basis (not really sure it's feasible to for a club or group of individuals to attempt that here), I don't see things getting any better.

On the pluys side, it's quite feasible/enforeceable to make that course pay to play, so that the cost of ongoing maintenance is partially (if not totally) offset.

Yeah, I think Bogey is right on the mark here. The fellas did a terrific job in trying to stay on top of this course, but I think it was nearly an impossible feat for any small group of individuals. The State Park system has shown some faith in installing a few course around the state, I too hope they decide to step up. Belle Isle has some of the greatest potential around. The amenities of a collection shack, public restrooms on the course, an out building for equipment, a sweet bridge, fantastic views and a location on an iconic public space with State Park amenities around. I cannot express enough thanks to the guys who have been slaving away to make this park possible in the first place.

Fab Man 08-06-2015 11:14 PM

Thanks for the update on Belle Isle, it was on my to do list when I'm up in the D later this month.

BogeyNoMore 08-06-2015 11:37 PM

I'll ditto ru4por's Bonnie Brook recommendation - it's an interesting course that's fun to play, with a few pretty unique holes. I've yet to write my review, but its definitely an excellent course.

Just be forewarned:
1) course lies in a flood plain, so it's not at its best for a day or two after a heavy rain
2) bring a couple of drivers you won't cry about losing, inked with your #. There's a significant amount of water in play and some areas where the rough is really tough to search in. That said, the owners are great about fishing discs out of the stream, but they're pulling out so many that calling everyone back can get a bit ridiculous... they have boxes of recovered discs.

BogeyNoMore 08-09-2015 08:54 AM

FYI: There's a new course called The Lyon's Den that recently opened up, pretty much just across the highway from Kensington Black Locust. Plays long and open with significant elevation. Almost like they snuck it in. No one I know of was even aware they were thinking about putting a course here let alone building one, and all of a sudden... boom! there it is.

Bring water and sunscreen... not much in the way of shade.