Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Michigan New Course Updates (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059)

kw83028 09-16-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 2854326)
Grizzly Oaks has been redesigned and is operational again. From Oakland University News:

I've yet to get out there to see for myself... busy this Sat and Sun, so it'll be a while till I can check out the changes.

SWEEEET!!!! Now to find time to play :(

apdrvya 09-17-2015 11:11 AM

Played both Orc Hall and Holton DGC yesterday, neither of which left a lasting impression. My reviews are posted.

apdrvya 09-18-2015 05:41 PM

intended to post this yesterday. there are no baskets in the ground at cascade.

The Shide 09-18-2015 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2856202)
intended to post this yesterday. there are no baskets in the ground at cascade.

Still? From my home I think I can see the skid marks the township of Cascade is leaving as they drag their heels putting the baskets back in.

DirtyMittenDG 09-21-2015 04:33 PM

great to hear about OU. Its seemed like forever since they have had it under construction. Wonder what it looks like?

kw83028 09-21-2015 04:46 PM

Just got back from OU. I'm having extremely mixed emotions. I'll post a review at some point today. I wasn't happy playing it at all. I have to figure out how to weigh in danger into the overall rating. A ton of the holes are extremely close to each other with some baskets and tee pads being very close to each other. If that course ever gets busy, there will guaranteed be discs flying at you at all times on the new holes

DirtyMittenDG 09-21-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw83028 (Post 2857394)
Just got back from OU. I'm having extremely mixed emotions. I'll post a review at some point today. I wasn't happy playing it at all. I have to figure out how to weigh in danger into the overall rating. A ton of the holes are extremely close to each other with some baskets and tee pads being very close to each other. If that course ever gets busy, there will guaranteed be discs flying at you at all times on the new holes

Dang! OU always got busy back in the day. Is the entire course changed or what?

kw83028 09-21-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMittenDG (Post 2857397)
Dang! OU always got busy back in the day. Is the entire course changed or what?

Half is the same, half is different. It starts on the old hole 4 which is shortened but still a good hole. The new holes really ticked me off. The old holes that remained were still good. Now I have to rack my memory on which ones were which. I took some pics that I'll upload. No idea of distances on the holes. Nothing is marked except the baskets have correct number plates on them.

kw83028 09-21-2015 08:35 PM

I posted my review of Grizzly. I gave it a 2. I feel like it could be a harsh rating, but I guess, to me, the dangers of extremely close fairways and baskets/tees, and the horrific teepads killed it for me. Also, the fact that most of the new holes are filler putter shots. The tees/baskets/fairways at Firefighters are way farther apart than those at Grizzly, if that gives you an idea how close they are

davetherocketguy 09-21-2015 09:26 PM

FYI:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...58#post2856758

apdrvya 10-02-2015 07:13 PM

bumpity

Innovadude 10-03-2015 11:41 AM

Update: our private Ann Arbor course, BRATS- has 9 new holes in the ground and the Throw Shop Throw Down tournament tomorrow, Sunday Oct. 4th is open to all.
Registration 8-9:30am, no more chance of rain is forecast for at least registration-end of day!
Field cap- 55
30$ Ams/40$ Pro, lunch included.
5171 Waters Rd, Ann Arbor.
We'll be playing 18 regular course, followed by 9 new holes, including a 780' par 5.

kw83028 11-16-2015 04:19 PM

Not a "new" course update, but I got out to River Bends today and wow was I surprised! There has been a ton of work done on the course. There are now tee posts and next tee posts everywhere. Navigation is no longer a nightmare! The fairways were mowed too! It's probably the first time that I've ever seen the fairways mowed. The course will still suck in the wet months and after a bunch of rain, but overall, I'm back to really loving this course

I updated my review of the course from 2010. I give River Bends an absolute solid 4 rating now. The redesign is really good. I'm almost wondering if the course should get a new page since it was redesigned, had holes added, subtracted, and moved. The page was updated with more holes and pictures last year, but the changes and improvements are vast.

ru4por 11-16-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kw83028 (Post 2889442)
Not a "new" course update, but I got out to River Bends today and wow was I surprised! There has been a ton of work done on the course. There are now tee posts and next tee posts everywhere. Navigation is no longer a nightmare! The fairways were mowed too! It's probably the first time that I've ever seen the fairways mowed. The course will still suck in the wet months and after a bunch of rain, but overall, I'm back to really loving this course

I updated my review of the course from 2010. I give River Bends an absolute solid 4 rating now. The redesign is really good. I'm almost wondering if the course should get a new page since it was redesigned, had holes added, subtracted, and moved. The page was updated with more holes and pictures last year, but the changes and improvements are vast.

Agreed. With navigation solved, most tee pads in great shape and a redesigned, this course is back to its former glory. Great time of the year to visit it as well. Dry and no bugs! :hfive:

AikoAdam 11-18-2015 02:50 AM

We (Mason County Disc Golf Org.) are looking into a possibility of a new course. When details come together a bit more finalized I'll post. Because its what Ludington needs....more disc golf!

TimSyl 11-18-2015 08:16 AM

Not a new course update. Meyer Broadway in Three Rivers has had continuous improvement following Worlds. Fairways have been mowed wider than ever so the long disc catching grass is almost a non-issue. Basket on #7 North (scummy pond hole) is now beyond the pond. Hole is 54' longer and more difficult. "Plateaued" green on #9 North should finally be finished soon, probably after this weekend. "Island" of Russian Olives short of #12 North have been removed. Flags in baskets on #10 and #15 South eliminate walks to locate baskets. #13 South short tee cleared a little so tee shot isn't quite as tight. Plans are to build a bridge AND steps across the valley and up the hill on #6 South.

Mushin No Shin 11-18-2015 12:44 PM

Awesome stuff Tim! Looking forward to getting back there :) ... and getting revenge on that monster back 9

TimSyl 11-18-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mushin No Shin (Post 2890671)
Awesome stuff Tim! Looking forward to getting back there :) ... and getting revenge on that monster back 9

Many have tried. (Although someone shot 48 on the South in Worlds, still can't comprehend that one).

Reniger 11-19-2015 03:49 PM

Cascade Community has the baskets back in with the new layout!

http://i.imgur.com/Ev7BEbz.png

Just got out of the hospital, so I have little strength to play it, but I'm pretty stoked to try the new design!

The Shide 11-25-2015 09:03 PM

The new layout at Cascade is horrible. There is a lot of walking from hole to hole, a couple of crisscrossing holes, too many baskets are too close to where people are going to be in harms way, hole #4s basket is on a slope near the entrance road (a terrible placement for my style of throwing), I could go on about the things I do not like about this course.

There is only one hole that I really like and that is hole #11: the tee is situated atop the hill, near to where the basket for old hole #15 used to be, and you are throwing back toward where #15s tee used to be. The basket is located in the midst of the trees at the base of the hill.

Even though I'm not a fan of the new layout, I will likely play it to get away from the crowds at the other "GR" courses. So 1 out of 18 isn't... Nope, I was going to try but I just can't put a silver lining on this one.

It could have been so much better if the township had used the layout submitted by a friend of mine. As it stands I consider it complete failure to utilize the property intelligently. :thmbdown:

Kramp 11-26-2015 10:15 AM

How are the new wooded holes?

The Shide 11-26-2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramp (Post 2895487)
How are the new wooded holes?

Too tight & lots of scrub brush that needs to be cleared AND after you finish hole #14, I think, you end up walking across the fairway of #13 to get to #15. M-hmm. :doh:

brickdoctor 11-28-2015 09:01 PM

Does anybody on here know anything about the Bay City course? Was up that way today where they are suppose to be putting it and still nothing. Has the city given up? Such a shame Bay City has sooo much to offer, a course up that way would sure to be a hit.

Reniger 11-30-2015 04:38 PM

Cascade's new layout is refreshing... but not good. Very disorganized layout (as stated, long walks from hole to hole, and baskets/fairways crossing each other) the wooded holes are tight and challenging, which I like, but there is literally no fairways and on most holes, not even a walking path. Where you end up walking is about 2-3" of leaves laying over downed branches and gopher holes. Rough on the ankles. I do like that they brought some water into play on 17, and hole 11 is a massive downhill off the top of the sledding hill into trees. Tricky shot. I like it.

They lost most of their distance, as well. However, the whole point of this layout was to minimize danger to others in a multi-use park. They did a very nice job with this. There are very little risks to anyone besides the walking path on a few shots which is easy to watch for and avoid. No more parking lot risks, no more playground risk, no more soccer/baseball/lacrosse player risks, MUCH less danger to walkers. That deserves some kudos with all the bad media disc golf has gotten with recent accidents. They've also used the elevation very well. Instead of a 100' downhill putt on hole 5, they've reversed it to a ~140' uphill. Better challenge.

All in all, I think the layout is not only safer, it's more enjoyable. More interesting shots, some woods, less danger to the multi-use park. Before, I gave Cascade a 2★, now I'd give a 2.5★, with some paths/walkways/maintenance in the woods, I think it could go up a little more. Even better, if they moved 2 baskets/swapped basket and tee placement, or just changed hole numbers to make a more linear path to walk, it could even get up to a 3.5-4 possibly.

The Shide 12-01-2015 07:54 PM

Strongly disagree that the new layout at Cascade is "more enjoyable." Now it's just an annoying walk in the park because some of us know there was a better proposed layout that the township chose to not use. That's certainly their prerogative. Not sour grapes; just extremely disappointed.

I really liked the old layout, despite it's few flaws <sniff>.

Reniger 12-02-2015 01:31 PM

I like the woods and the water hole, but this is definitely a lot of added, and unnecessary walking (which with a current injury is not welcome) The layout needs some definite work, but I do find that overall, the holes are more interesting to me.

It can never be Fallasburg. ;)

apdrvya 12-23-2015 11:14 AM

added about five new courses to the registry this morning:
Marlette Golf Course
Buttles Park (Lewiston)
Yankee Springs Golf Course (Wayland)
Mecosta Twp Hall (Big Rapids)
Canadian Lakes DGC

go Michigan disc golf!!!

ru4por 12-23-2015 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 2912758)
added about five new courses to the registry this morning:
Marlette Golf Course
Buttles Park (Lewiston)
Yankee Springs Golf Course (Wayland)
Mecosta Twp Hall (Big Rapids)
Canadian Lakes DGC

go Michigan disc golf!!!

No reviews yet?? Cooome ooon maaann!!

Good stuff, I get up toward Lewiston/Atlanta once in a while, it will be nice to see another option. Thanks for getting these posted.

ChrisWoj 12-23-2015 02:15 PM

http://www.13abc.com/home/headlines/363228761.html - Michiganders on top of this?

The Shide 01-03-2016 05:05 PM

Anybody heard about a new course in Hudsonville/Georgetown area at Rush Creek Park?

apdrvya 01-04-2016 12:58 PM

for some reason I am thinking this is private?
nick kohn has been posting on it though on facebook

skizzle34 01-04-2016 01:05 PM

I know Ella Sharp Park in Jackson just started cutting in the new course that will be there. I know a few of the guys involved with design. Sounds like it could be good!

BogeyNoMore 01-04-2016 02:23 PM

Sad News...

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like Bonnie Brook was laid to rest today.

Course Conditions as of 1/4/2016:
Quote:

Closed. Thank you for everything and for all of your support. (Last updated by TedS36486)

Doesn't seem like it's just closed for the winter. Nothing on DG Scene about it, nor on Facebook. I have a feeling Ted and the property owner came to some sort of impasse, whatever it might have been.

All the blood, sweat, tears (not to mention money) Lydia, he, and Brett put into that place. I played about 20 rounds there this year, and noticed tangible improvements literally every round. They were always tweaking, clearing, fixing, really pouring heart and soul into the course. I truly feel for them.

I’m apprehensive to ask what the deal is… don’t wanna pour salt in the wound. :(

I'll hold a small glimmer of hope they'll reopen in spring, but...
Glad I was able to log so many rounds while it was still active.

Fondest memory: playing with my son, caught up to a group of five who offered to let us play through on 17... aced it with everyone watching.

Also hit a putt from this lie to card a 3 from #12's long tee (480'):

skizzle34 01-04-2016 02:47 PM

I had heard whispers mid year that they may not have a chance to renew their lease but hoped they were just rumors. Bonnie was a great course. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that some kind of break through happens and they stick around!

ru4por 01-04-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skizzle34 (Post 2918432)
I had heard whispers mid year that they may not have a chance to renew their lease but hoped they were just rumors. Bonnie was a great course. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that some kind of break through happens and they stick around!

This is too heartbreaking for me to even consider. I threw up a post on DGS to see if I can get a response. Losing Belle Isle and Bonnie would be tragic. The economic viability of running and maintaining a course is slight, they've done a wonderful job.

mrclc 01-04-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 2918467)
This is too heartbreaking for me to even consider. I threw up a post on DGS to see if I can get a response. Losing Belle Isle and Bonnie would be tragic. The economic viability of running and maintaining a course is slight, they've done a wonderful job.

Seconding all those thoughts. From two Detroit courses to zero in less than a year would be awful, especially with all the untold hours of hard work put into them.

mball1684 01-04-2016 10:09 PM

Man, that sucks

rshrevo 01-11-2016 09:31 PM

Rush creek park

georgetown township park is in the ground. 9 holes short couseno tee signs like their other course at rosewood. first three holes are too close together. after that it spaces out better.
pitch and putt course or putter only course. park is located off 48th avenue turn right on first street past port sheldon going north. turn right then left then right park is straight ahead. first tee is right side of tennis court.

apdrvya 01-21-2016 12:29 PM

apparently, the current course in Greenville (Alan Davis) is going to be removed and the baskets moved to tower park next year. The current park has 9 baskets to 9 will be added to make an 18.
Kind of excited but kind of sad to see Davis go... it was an interesting little park :)

sgamerp 02-08-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyMittenDG (Post 2789062)
Btw. SGAMPERP. I got your Buzzz. Inbox me your adress

Hey in case anyone cares.... I never got that buzzz :+