Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Love for the Gazelle (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66332)

smarkquart 03-15-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_08 (Post 2965902)
That's sort of what lead to the decline of the gazelle. People found easier distance with a Teebird. I find them to be different the gazelle. Less glide is nice, and the 16mm rim fits my hand better. I don't bag a teebird, I use a JLS. So the gazelle fits my stable slot.

I will second this. They do have less glide than a TeeBird, which means on the same line usually comes up 10% shorter. I am always flip-flopping between Star Gazelles and PFN Star TeeBirds, but since I have a very limited stock of these TeeBirds, I stick with the Gazelles. Still, there is a difference I always notice. I do not have to throw the TeeBird as hard to get the same distance, and therefore get more distance when powered up, but conversely because I have to throw the Gazelle with a little more power, I am actually a little more accurate with it. I am far more accurate, mainly because the disc fades less at power, throwing 70-80% versus trying to finesse (which usually leads to more) at 60-70%.

Kodachrome 03-15-2016 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IllustratorVir (Post 2965881)
Question for you and any other Gazelle throwers. Is there a distinctive enough difference between them and a Teebird to warrant a try? I have thrown them before and they were great because (with my experiences) the flight was predictable and controllable.

Yes.

They are different enough to try, but not different enough to bag both imo.

I never find myself wanting for distance when I throw the gazelle. They are slow fairway drivers for placement shots, not for distance-they do fly far, but I find the distance to to be largely irrelevant. I am using gazelles on holes 290-7000' (made up number) because I value accuracy here in the woods. Teebs can do that too.

My champ gazelles have about the stability of a new, current run champ teebird.

My cfr glo probably started out as stable as a nice star teebird. No turn, decent fade. The star is dead straight out of the box. The gstar...whatever...they're weird....the dx starts out like a dx teebird with less fade.

The cfr glo and the star/gstar are my money makers.

The star and cfr glo are domey and glide quite well. It's not as far flying as a teebird, but sure as hell farther than a mid. My Max is about 440' (real max, not very consistent/usable) and I can pump the stars out to 360' pretty easily. I could probably toss a teebird 380/390, but why do that when I have other discs that do that, and do it easier?

I used to bag teebirds and realized the champs were just too overstable for woods golf unless you have a real cannon. The gstar were great, but then I never could decide to throw an olf/pd or a tb because the tb flew so far.

93EXCivic 03-15-2016 03:17 PM

I don't have a lot of distance. I like the Gazelle over the TeeBird because it felt better in my hand and I found that I was more accurate with it.

Kodachrome 03-15-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93EXCivic (Post 2965995)
I don't have a lot of distance. I like the Gazelle over the TeeBird because it felt better in my hand and I found that I was more accurate with it.

I think I would have been better off just saying that, lol.

Gazelles are more accurate for me but don't sacrifice what I consider to be meaningful distance.

geo_08 03-15-2016 04:53 PM

Neither do I feel like I lose meaningful distance. For those of you who like the gazelle, but want something a tad longer and a bit more turn I suggest the JLS, the feel similar in hand.

93EXCivic 03-15-2016 07:32 PM

How does the Ptero compare to the Gazelle? Would it be a disc that would make sense to bag with Gazelles of different plastics?

geo_08 03-15-2016 07:43 PM

I'd say it would go well with all but maybe some beat dx gazelles. You will get more distance and more of an S in the ptero than you will a gazelle. I've done it, would still do it if there were lighter pteros.

93EXCivic 03-16-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_08 (Post 2966145)
I'd say it would go well with all but maybe some beat dx gazelles. You will get more distance and more of an S in the ptero than you will a gazelle. I've done it, would still do it if there were lighter pteros.

So is it somewhat like a JLS?

geo_08 03-16-2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93EXCivic (Post 2966817)
So is it somewhat like a JLS?

The ptero is close to a worn in TL or a shorter s line FD. The JLS is a bit more US than those. Either way I think the gazelle pairs well with them as it tends to fight wind better.

geo_08 03-21-2016 01:18 PM

Mail call!

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ba1fb25edd.jpg