Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bag Suggestions & Feedback (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   BuzzzChief 2019 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133110)

BuzzzChief 01-07-2019 11:08 AM

BuzzzChief 2019

I'll join the club, since everyone is doing an update for the new year.

Entering my 17th year of playing disc golf. As of today, I'm playing better and more consistently than I ever have before. Mostly due to a complete overhaul of my putting stroke last summer, with lots of time on the backyard putting basket. Also less fiddling with the core of my bag.

There are many discs in my bag that have been there for years, and I really know/trust them. 14 of my discs have been in the bag for at least 4-5 years, with the other 5-6 slots constantly rotating. My Firebird, Gator and main putting Wizard have been in the bag for something like 12-15 years.

2x Outlaw - Light Pinnacle for Max D (400-420' today). Sparkle for OS duties, skip shots, forehands.
2x PD - Newish S-line is crazy OS (like a firebird). Beat-in C-line for hyzers/headwinds.
1x CD2 - drop-in replacement for my old beat S-line PD, dead straight 350-380' shots.
2x Rival - Both Pinnacle, both will hold into a headwind and finish left. One is longer/straighter.
1x Patriot - Icon that is beat but still a dead-straight stable flyer. Love this disc in the woods.
1x Stalker - Beat 1st Run Z. For me this flies like a long Comet. Holds whatever angle you put it on, all the way to the ground.
1x Firebird - old CE L-mold. Utility disc for headwinds, forehands, thumbers, etc.
1x Nemesis - Pretty much rollers only, occasional extreme right-turn shots

1x Gator - old pearly Champ, I lean on this heavily for Forehand upshots & random get-out-of-jail shots. Thumber/tomahawks, forehand rollers, whatever.
1x Roc3 - Fresh champ for slightly OS duties
2x Ghost - Gravity beat to dead straight, Protege beat to a gradual turnover disc
1x Comet - X, understable duties

1x Scale - Usually a beat proto Fossil, sometimes an Armor if it's really windy
4x Wizard - a fresh Nikko for stable throwing, a beat old small-stamp S for understable throwing. Putting putters are a super old small-stamp Medium, and a chalky "SS" that feels more like a Soft/Medium in flex.

I would like to simplify the drivers a little more. Rivals will probably be dropped long-term. I could just drop one outright, and the other could be replaced by a C-line or Roaming Thunder CD2. Then I need to pick between Patriot and Stalker as my straight-to-understable fairway. Mostly depends on what I can find, since Stalkers are semi-OOP and Patriots aren't sold locally here.

elmexdela 01-07-2019 01:14 PM

i miss a seasoned z stalker they were things of beauty longer than a buzz but just as workable

notroman 01-07-2019 01:19 PM

Firebird PD? You got your hands on one of the proto S-line PD's? Those had a different top on them and were overstable similar to Firebirds. They changed the top on it to make it a little straighter once the disc went into regular production.

discerdoo 01-07-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notroman (Post 3399250)
Firebird PD? You got your hands on one of the proto S-line PD's? Those had a different top on them and were overstable similar to Firebirds. They changed the top on it to make it a little straighter once the disc went into regular production.

I think he got one of the new embossed runs. I'm bagging one in my FB slot trying to beat some stank off of it. Pretty disappointed this run came out so OS.

BuzzzChief 01-07-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discerdoo (Post 3399259)
I think he got one of the new embossed runs. I'm bagging one in my FB slot trying to beat some stank off of it. Pretty disappointed this run came out so OS.

Yea, it's just a new fresh S-line that I picked up from DiscNation when we were in Austin a couple months ago. It's absurdly overstable for a PD, it's more like a fresh Firebird.

discerdoo 01-07-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzzChief (Post 3399274)
Yea, it's just a new fresh S-line that I picked up from DiscNation when we were in Austin a couple months ago. It's absurdly overstable for a PD, it's more like a fresh Firebird.

Yep, I won't be purchasing any more S PDs from this run. I have enough Firebirds.

BuzzzChief 01-20-2019 10:46 PM

Just for fun, here’s my “snow bag” for the next few days, I am gonna head out and play in the 8 inches or so that we just got:

Skyline Rampage (max D)
P-line PD (straight control D)
S-line PD (meathook)
C-line CD2 (slightly overstable, flies like a teebird)
Pinnacle Phenom (slightly understable)
DX Eagle (old and beat to dead straight)
Excel Patriot (very beat and flippy)
Gravity Ghost (straight stable mid)
DX Roc (beat and flippy)
Champ Caiman (gator duties)
2 bright-colored throwing wizards
2 putting wizards from the backup pile

Covers everything I need. They are all discs from my backup bag, so I know them well. But I won’t be heartbroken if anything disappears in a snowbank either.

BuzzzChief 02-18-2019 09:58 PM

Pared down travel bag:

Pinnacle Outlaw (Max D)
Raging Thunder Swirly S-line CD2 (OS control D)
Stock S-line CD2 (Slightly US Control D)
S-line PD (super OS, utility duties)
Z Stalker (straight-to-US fairway)
Champ Caiman (FH Approaches)
Gravity Ghost (dead straight mid)
Firm Nikko Wizard (for putting and throwing)

BuzzzChief 03-05-2019 01:03 PM

I really liked playing with the Roaming Thunder CD2, and especially the Caiman, on my recent Texas trip. I love my Gator but the Caiman comes out much cleaner on full-power forehand throws. For everything else, the two are basically interchangeable. It almost hurts me to pull the Gator. It's been in the bag for so long.

Starting to prep for the tourney season, assuming my elbow holds up. Heading in with a 969 rating- I'm not really that consistently good. The goal is to keep the rating above 950 over the course of the year. There were a couple changes/additions over the past 2 months:

2x Outlaw - light Pinn for max D, heavy Sparkle for skip shots and forehands.
1x PD - 3rd run, still the go-to for headwinds and hyzers. This is my longest disc in a stiff headwind.
2x CD2 - Roaming Thunder is almost as stable as my PD, and kicked out my Rivals. S-line is laser straight and holds a turnover line.
2x Firebird - Beat old CE for forehands, thumbers, utility/trick shots. Fresh pearly flat Champ for meathook duties.
1x Patriot - Semi-beat Icon is dead straight to 350.
2x Stalker - Fresh Z is straight with slight fade, Beat 1st line Z turns but doesn't burn.
1x Nemesis - Rollers and extreme right turns only.

1x Caiman - Pancake flat Champion. Main approach disc. Short-range verson of my beat Firebird for get-out-of-jail thumbers, skip shots, etc.
1x Roc3 - Champion and still pretty fresh.
2x Ghost - Beat Gravity is starting to flip on me. Flat Protege is also slightly US and doesn't get thrown much, it's a backup.
1x Comet - X, understable duties on lockdown.

1x Scale - Beat to straight and has no glide anymore. It has its uses but doesn't get much play.
2x Wizard Throwers - A rotating mix depending on the weather, but mainly fresh-ish Nikkos and old beat small-stamps.
2x Wizard Putters - Still rolling with the same old medium and SS, although I am putting really well with firm Nikkos lately.

I'll probably toss in a Rival for windy days or more open courses. I might pick up a Glo Stalker for that slot. I'm not in love with the Champ Roc3, I wish it were slightly more stable and will probably swap in a fresh KC Pro Roc. I also fully expect the OS mid to be a rotating mix of Caiman/Gator/Zone over the course of the year. They are all fun to throw.

BuzzzChief 04-08-2019 06:04 PM

Alright, first tourney of 2019 for me this weekend. Here's the bag.

It seems like a lot of driver molds, but in practice it feels simple. It's 3 max distance (Outlaws), 3 control distance (PD/CD2), 3 fairways (Patriot/Stalker). In each category I've got one that's more overstable, one that's straight stable, and one that flips. Firebirds and Nemesis are utility discs. The firm Nikko wizard has become a staple thrower for me, it is a perfect driving wizard IMO.

3 Outlaws
1 PD
2 CD2s
2 Firebirds
2 Stalkers
1 Patriot
1 Nemesis

3 Ghosts
1 Caiman
1 Comet

4 Wizards