Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   MVP 150 class discs - how are they flying? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108435)

Monkeypaws 08-15-2014 03:05 PM

MVP 150 class discs - how are they flying?
 
Was looking at a 154 Proton Inertia, and was wondering if the lighter weight discs have the same flight characteristics as the 170's brethren.

Timeetyo 08-15-2014 03:09 PM

I have a 158 Neutron Inertia (only MVP disc I have) that I picked up recently and I was surprised how US it is - especially for my noodle arm. On ~300' throws it is more US than my 155 sidewinders. Go figure...

Aim For The Chains 08-15-2014 03:57 PM

150's can be quite a bit more beginner friendly when on the understable side of the MVP lineup. the OS to stable models don't really get affected as much it seems-- some slight differences in glide for sure.

gcr_russell 08-15-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeetyo (Post 2546394)
I have a 158 Neutron Inertia (only MVP disc I have) that I picked up recently and I was surprised how US it is - especially for my noodle arm. On ~300' throws it is more US than my 155 sidewinders. Go figure...

Its an inertia so its supposed to be that understable. My 150 MVPs are just a tick less stable compared to their heavier counterparts for the most part.

Mike C 08-15-2014 04:06 PM

They fly nice. I regularly drive with 165 Envy's that never flip on me, and I bag a 156g Crave that I throw BH and FH on hyzers all the time without issue. I love that Crave for when I can't get a run up or even a full reach back, and want a consistent straight to fade shot.

I have a 155 Inertia I'm going to bring with me next time I do field work. It's fun to throw on open shots.

Halcón 08-15-2014 04:34 PM

I have a 150's Inertia, and a 174 tester. They both fly pretty similarly for my arm, but the lighter one is easier to get D from, and it's got a bit less stability, like gcr russell said.

With the Inertia, any weight is a good weight. Especially for normal arms.

Mike C 08-15-2014 04:44 PM



I just thought of this video, where I'm throwing the Tesla for the first time. One of the holes is 440' I think, and I throw a 155, 166 and 165. You can see they fly pretty true to the ratings, but the 155 definitely had a longer left to right drift.

Monkeypaws 08-15-2014 04:59 PM

Thanks for the replies - that vid really shows the difference 10 grams can make.

I'm guessing at my power it would fly just like it should.

asc349 08-15-2014 10:05 PM

Cool thing about MVP is if you like a certain mold you can carry three of the same disc at 150's-160's-170's and get different variations of the intended flight characteristics. I have three Resistors in each and they are a great fairway trio.

AndyJB 08-15-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains (Post 2546445)
150's can be quite a bit more beginner friendly when on the understable side of the MVP lineup. the OS to stable models don't really get affected as much it seems-- some slight differences in glide for sure.

QFT here. I prefer my 156 gram Motion because I can really mash on it, but it is just as overstable as its max weight counterparts. Overhands and skip shots are a little more unpredictable at that weight, but I don't use those type of shots too much anyway.

Aim For The Chains 08-15-2014 10:26 PM

yeah I hear you Andy-- lost my 156g tesla I traded for on here just to check out and miss it for those longer shots and stretched out spike hyzers. My 16?g is the same way but its the LE tesla stamp so I get scurrrred to throw it all the time'

I actually bag upper 160's motions and generally like to throw max weight but that disc is just damn OS.

Photoguy 08-15-2014 10:36 PM

I'm glad MVP is making 150-160 discs for most of their lineup. But I wish there were a few more around the 150 area. Seems like the 155-160 are the most common. I know, I know. It's not a huge difference. But I like my drivers to be 150 class on the "150" end.

Still, I'm excited to try the 155 Crave and 157 Inspire I just picked up.

Aim For The Chains 08-15-2014 10:45 PM

sometimes its just not possible without blowing air into the discs.... and we know what happens then :p its why you don't see light weight volts etc as they just don't mold up right to justify making them it appears. I am sure MVP could make a 130 disc but its not going to be up to "par" like you find now with their current line-up. I wouldn't lose sleep over 5 paperclips.

Photoguy 08-15-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains (Post 2546838)
sometimes its just not possible without blowing air into the discs.... and we know what happens then :p its why you don't see light weight volts etc as they just don't mold up right to justify making them it appears. I am sure MVP could make a 130 disc but its not going to be up to "par" like you find now with their current line-up. I wouldn't lose sleep over 5 paperclips.

Agreed.

But sometimes it's just one of those things that gets in your head. Like how some people insist on a specific color for their putter or whatever. You start thinking "But this is heavier!" when it is such a little difference in reality.

Aim For The Chains 08-15-2014 11:01 PM

I never focused a lot on weight when buying discs as a new player so its never been a big issue for me but I know what you mean. Its just nice to see such a wide weight range in the newer models without much variance in flight.

JohnnyBee 08-15-2014 11:16 PM

The Inertia can be touchy, but I have had some flat out bombs with it, it has kicked my Valkyries out. I am trying out the Inspire to compete with my Leopards. Not sure about the rest of them in the 150's, they seem to take more oomph to get to fly right compared to my flocks of 150 Teebirds and Eagle-L's, but they do seem to have some unique flights

Aim For The Chains 08-15-2014 11:18 PM

gyro meng! real DG discs that's why :D

Savage Henry 08-15-2014 11:40 PM

I always buy the drivers under 160 because I think they are better for my weak game. Unless it's supposed to be a wind fighting Magic Mike beefcake like my resistor. But I've thrown heavier ones and they fly the same for me. And my volt is first run 167 (factory blank, not trying to brag ;) and I can throw it just fine. Also I've got a 163 N envy and a 175 melon envy and I think the only differennce is seasoning. Maybe a few feet longer with the lighter one.

Aim For The Chains 08-15-2014 11:46 PM

Henry.. why you bragging meng?!

Savage Henry 08-15-2014 11:52 PM

I wish I could get a pile of those. Or 160ish volts.

wkelly42 08-16-2014 07:25 PM

My 155 Tesla flies just about like the numbers say it should, at least for me. I use it for forehand quite a bit with some good results. My 155 Crave (which I just got this morning) flies almost exactly like my old 162 Trak did before I lost it, which is about right according to the inFlight chart on each.

I've always been a bit leery of throwing distance drivers because of my lack of arm speed, but my Tesla (and the 165 Inertia I had and lost and will be replacing soon) fly great. While the Crave isn't a distance driver, it is still a great disc and I can see it becoming my go-to fairway driver.

Monkeypaws 08-16-2014 09:31 PM

So I bought said Inertia. Fun disc to throw; I got steady turn for the initial flight, followed by fade that depended on the altitude of the shot. Low shots, which I prefer, were dead straight. A little height gave a pretty nice s-curve.

Probably threw this disc further than anything else I've thrown from MVP. Me likey. :)

Aim For The Chains 02-04-2015 11:40 PM

150 class ions coming out in the new plasma plastic :eek:

!!!!!!

money 21 07-12-2018 11:04 AM

bump from way back. :D I have had some arm injury issue over the last couple years. During that i have bounced back forth between 150 class and heavier disc, but finally this spring settled on staying with the lighter discs. Tried a ton of molds from most of the companies that make lighter disc. and found that the mvp/axiom disc seem to fly the best in the 150 class.(and IMHO better then they do in heavier weights but that is probably just me).

Monocacy 07-12-2018 12:58 PM

Yep. Mid-150s Insanity (Neutron and Plasma) and Wave (Neutron) have been my jam lately.

Also testing 155ish Plasma Photons.

brutalbrutus 07-12-2018 01:35 PM

I have a 157ish N Photon that is just as beefy as my max weights and hasn't changed much in the 2-3 years I've had it. Its flat top and PLH are identical to my Duality Photon. The only difference in flight is that the fade just kicks in a second or two later and gets a tad squirrelly sometimes in high winds.


My 157ish Fission Photon is a different matter. It has a slight rounded top and has a slightly lower PLH. So it has a bit of natural turn to it but when new it still had plenty of fade. The Fission actually seasons like a normal disc, so it has lost most of its fade but doesn't really turn to much more than it did when new. Great flyer and line shaper.

DarkAce1978 07-12-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3329504)
I have a 157ish N Photon that is just as beefy as my max weights and hasn't changed much in the 2-3 years I've had it. Its flat top and PLH are identical to my Duality Photon. The only difference in flight is that the fade just kicks in a second or two later and gets a tad squirrelly sometimes in high winds.


My 157ish Fission Photon is a different matter. It has a slight rounded top and has a slightly lower PLH. So it has a bit of natural turn to it but when new it still had plenty of fade. The Fission actually seasons like a normal disc, so it has lost most of its fade but doesn't really turn to much more than it did when new. Great flyer and line shaper.

My 150s Neutron Photon is also very beefy. Wave seems pretty stable at my arm speed and is one of my favorite discs! Inertia and Insanity feel quite a bit more understable than the heavier ones but in a good way.

money 21 07-13-2018 11:27 AM

picked up a 153 Plasma Photon. It has the hardest finish i have ever seen on a Photon. Its HSS is similar to my Proton but when the LSS stability kicks in it fades like a Resister.

I also picked up a Wave and Inertia 153 and 155 respectfully and both seen to be more stable then the same disc in other plastics. My experience with heavier discs is the Plasma is generally the least stable of the premium plastics. Has anyone else had this experience with the 150 class plasma.

DiscAnarchy 07-15-2018 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Henry (Post 2546889)
I wish I could get a pile of those. Or 160ish volts.

You can get Fission Volts in that range.

DiscAnarchy 07-15-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeypaws (Post 2547564)
So I bought said Inertia. Fun disc to throw; I got steady turn for the initial flight, followed by fade that depended on the altitude of the shot. Low shots, which I prefer, were dead straight. A little height gave a pretty nice s-curve.

Probably threw this disc further than anything else I've thrown from MVP. Me likey. :)

I like the Inertia too, but I like my 164 Proton Insanity even more.

elmexdela 07-18-2018 09:27 AM

i loved my 150g inertia

for fh and bh you barely had to put anything on it and obtain easy d


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.