Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How much distance walked during a round of disc golf? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121430)

cox3 03-29-2016 10:43 AM

How much distance walked during a round of disc golf?

Lets say you play a course that is 5,280 feet (1 mile) for 18 holes. Obviously you don't walk in a straight line from the tee to the basket every time and this also doesn't take into account walking from the basket to the next tee. My question is, how much distance do you typically actually walk during a round on this course? 2 miles? Less than that? More than that? Thanks!

HarkeyPuck 03-29-2016 10:45 AM

If I throwing well, 2 miles or so.

If I'm spraying my drives, 2.5-3 miles :D

Toro71 03-29-2016 10:53 AM

Other factor...if I'm playing solo, and throwing multiple shots. This leads to more walking in and of itself, not to mention the backtracking I have to do when I inevitably leave a soldier behind. ("I gotta FIND BUBBA!")

grodney 03-29-2016 10:57 AM

I'd say the distance from basket to next tee is a far bigger variable than the spray of your shots.

Based on speed rounds I've run with my pedometer/gps:
Elon Eager Beaver - Short Tees -- 3338 feet (0.63 miles) averages 5808 feet run (1.10 miles).
Elon Angry Beaver -- 7001 feet (1.33 miles) averages 9715 feet run (1.84 miles).
(Note: These are two separate courses, not different tees on the same course.)

I've been about 1.29-1.45 miles on Eager Beaver when walking and playing with 1-2 other people. Extra distance over speed rounds probably due to fidgeting around the tee, looking for discs, avoiding lines, meandering with the other players a little.

Mulligan 03-29-2016 11:02 AM

My iPhone tells me its usually around 2 miles a round of 18

grodney 03-29-2016 11:17 AM

Selah Lakeside - Short Tees - 6378 ft (1.21 miles), ~2.39 including basket to next tee, Google fitness app says 3.3 miles during a round of doubles.

Selah Creekside - Short Tees - 6545 ft (1.24 miles), ~2.86 including basket to next tee, Google fitness app says 3.9 miles during a round of singles.

I don't fully trust the Google fitness app when in walking mode....I've never checked it.

ru4por 03-29-2016 11:17 AM

Get an app or pedometer to track your distance.

Anon 03-29-2016 11:33 AM

Right around 2 miles for my local 'long' 18 hole course.

ThrowBot 03-29-2016 11:38 AM

Some friends had a work-related pedometer challenge a few years back, and they compared their data from disc golf tournaments vs. their coworkers' data from a half-marathon and a triathlon.

As I recall, a 36-hole tournament stacked up pretty well against the half-marathon in terms of steps taken. Of course, "steps taken" doesn't tell the complete story of distance traveled, and there are other factors in play...it's kind of like comparing apples to KC Pro Aviars.

Cdickgo 03-29-2016 11:58 AM

Check your iPhone.

Tripper 03-29-2016 12:19 PM

If i see someone looking for a lost disc, I typically help them look for a little while if the course is not crowded, so that kind of stuff will add distance as well.

Old Bassman 03-29-2016 12:53 PM

One of our locals posted distances walked for two courses.
Mt Airy was 2.12 miles. About 7200 feet from tee to pin.
Idlewild was 3.91 miles. 9415 shorts or 10356 in longs.

46YearOldSlinger 03-29-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripper (Post 2974507)
If i see someone looking for a lost disc, I typically help them look for a little while if the course is not crowded, so that kind of stuff will add distance as well.

Yeah, and don't forget trips back to the car for more beer.

DG_Before_Breakfast 03-29-2016 02:01 PM

Get a little Pedometer or one is built into iPhone "Health" app, or there are better pedometer apps for mobile phones.

But ya, around 2 miles. I typically do ~20 holes at Delaveaga twice a week before work, and its about 2.5 miles. The full course of 27 is 3+. Pinto lake is 3+ for 18 holes, lots of walking between holes - but beautiful.

Ryan Ranch I end up walking more, and have had 4-5 miles there, probably chasing some discs around.

CSUMB if you do the Worlds positions for 27 holes is more like 4-5 miles. One day did Cypress and Oaks, and spent a lot of time looking for Discs and got 6.5 miles.

It is good exercise!

runningDoc 03-29-2016 02:08 PM

When I first started playing DG it was a reason to hike. I wore a garmin running gps watch (I run/bike a lot) and measured what a typical round was. It always seemed to be in that 2.5-3.0 mile range (regular round including throws).

It was wierd because it was in that 2.5-3.0mile range no matter what course from shorter below 6,000ft par 55 ones to longer 7,000+ft par 60+ ones.

Dcinmd 03-29-2016 03:55 PM

For a 27 hole tournament at Hawk Hallow I have 11.94 miles for the day. I figure a good 8 miles of that is on the course. Along with 115 flight of stairs for the day, so about 90 of them are on the course.

This was tracked using a fitbit.

RFrance 03-29-2016 04:01 PM

I carry my pedometer in my pocket on the course because it has a clock as well. On my local course 18 holes is about 2.25 miles. I usually do a round of both the short and long when I can and it ends up about 4.5 miles.

air show 03-29-2016 04:02 PM

On a 8500 ft course with putting warmup a few practice drives and then 18 holes I put in around 3 mi.

BogeyNoMore 03-29-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 2974457)
Get an app or pedometer to track your distance.

^This. The distance between holes can differ greatly from course to course.

Some courses have holes so close together that that people on one tee often have to be on the lookout for incoming discs coming from the previous hole. Others are spaced out so much they really make you wish you had a cart.

This can also depend largely on the type of course. Fairly open layouts don't provide much in the way of protection from discs coming at you from other holes, so good designers tend to space holes out judiciously, to avoid the situation I mentioned initially.

Typically, well-wooded holes can safely be strung closer together, since the trees and brush provide a barrier to protect players on the next tee.

Might also depend on what else is going on near the course. If the course has to work around other pre-existing park activities in a responsible manner, there will probably be some longer walks between holes, to keep other park goers safe.

SD86 03-29-2016 05:50 PM

I played with a friend who used her iPhone app when we played a round. It said we walked two miles.

Timber 03-30-2016 08:46 AM

Giles Run White Tees to Silver baskets, Car to tee to pin to tee...and back to car is 3.15 miles (16,632') on a 7,931' layout. 47%play/53%walk. Ouch! Non aced holes(Ha ha) and searching for discs in the thorns probably adds another half mile or more to the round.

Most of the extra walking is due to a 275' wide RPA running through the middle of the course and the 6% slope guideline for hiking trails. Crossing this area twice in an 18 hole round accounts for 2950' or 0.55 miles.

filobedo 03-30-2016 11:30 AM

By far the furthest I have ever walked during a round was at Langely Pond last weekend (5 miles each round with elevation) is what I was told. Someone mentioned fitbits were showing 12-13 miles for both rounds which included walking out to starting holes and back after finishing holes. Our MMI group started the second round at the furthest point out which was a 25 minute walk each way.

garublador 03-31-2016 09:05 AM

I was going to guess to double the total hole length. It looks like that's not a bad estimate.

scarpfish 03-31-2016 11:03 AM

The first time I did a one day marathon I played my home course several times over. I measured the difference between the 'playing loop' (distances of all holes put together) versus the 'walking loop' (which includes the between hole walks). There was nearly an extra half mile per lap. Roughly 40% more than just the hole distances.

ballgolfconvert 03-19-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningDoc (Post 2974662)
When I first started playing DG it was a reason to hike. I wore a garmin running gps watch (I run/bike a lot) and measured what a typical round was. It always seemed to be in that 2.5-3.0 mile range (regular round including throws).

It was wierd because it was in that 2.5-3.0mile range no matter what course from shorter below 6,000ft par 55 ones to longer 7,000+ft par 60+ ones.

That's because you generally walk past the long tees to get to the shorts.

disco40 03-19-2020 10:46 PM

Was just wondering this the other day. Thanks for the bump. I thought it would be like 1.5x, but looks to be more like 2.2x on average.

ohtobediscing 03-20-2020 09:37 AM

I know that at Milo, in the BSF layout, its near 4 miles or more per round.

brutalbrutus 03-20-2020 12:18 PM

A guy was wearing a step counter for the Ky State Dubs at Idlewild a few years ago. 2 rounds, 24longs then 24 shorts. It read 16 miles at the end of the day.:eek:

ejvogie 03-20-2020 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowBot (Post 2974475)
...it's kind of like comparing apples to KC Pro Aviars.

Challenge accepted.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1584725024

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1584725026

araytx 03-26-2020 04:01 PM

Yeah. one of many pedometer apps will give you the info.

I typically expect about 6000 or so steps on a course in the 6000' range, and around 2 miles.

holly7845 03-26-2020 05:33 PM

Depending on the event, my apple watch has tracked up to 11 miles.

Delaware Challenge- 6 miles a day
Idlewild- 5 miles a day
Silver cup - 8 miles, final day
Titan Open - 11 miles
Beaver Fling - 6 miles

BogeyNoMore 03-26-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holly7845 (Post 3567137)
Depending on the event, my apple watch has tracked up to 11 miles.

Delaware Challenge- 6 miles a day
Idlewild- 5 miles a day
Silver cup - 8 miles, final day
Titan Open - 11 miles
Beaver Fling - 6 miles

Thanks for chiming in, Holly.

I assume these figures are for two rounds?
Also, do they include all the walking around before, between rounds, and after the event?

My experience has been that I take quite a few more steps during the course of a tournament than I typically do when playing a casual round or two, especially if my card starts on one of the remote holes for one or both rounds.

For casual play, I'm typically from the car to hole #1, through the course, and back to my car.

Three Putt 03-28-2020 12:49 PM

I've never paid all that much attention except that I do remember right after I got a Fitbit years ago I played in the Fall Harvest at Ozark Mountain and played Ozark Mountain and Akitas Run in one day. The Fitbit tracked that at 11 miles. Those were some long days; I don't think I've played a combo longer than that.

Add in the fact that it was rugged up and down terrain AND the fact that the event was unsanctioned for several years and we were generally blasted drunk before the first round was over and it seems like a really, really bad idea in retrospect. :eek: Playing a second round on Akitas blindly drunk and barrel rolling down hole 8 is either the worst moment or highlight of my disc golf career. RIP OMO.

Kegelexercise 03-28-2020 01:56 PM

My all time single day record (since getting a Fitbit) is 14.2 miles, which involved a 2 round (18h ea) disc golf tournament and later spending 3+ hours carrying drinks up and down the steps of baseball stadium for a game. Only time I’ve ever recorded a step count in excess of 30,000.

Usually, I feel like a round of 18 is worth between 2-3 miles, depending on course length, how accurate I’m shooting, etc. based on rough data I’ve skimmed from my Fitbit occasionally.

holly7845 03-28-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3567163)
Thanks for chiming in, Holly.

I assume these figures are for two rounds?
Also, do they include all the walking around before, between rounds, and after the event?

My experience has been that I take quite a few more steps during the course of a tournament than I typically do when playing a casual round or two, especially if my card starts on one of the remote holes for one or both rounds.

For casual play, I'm typically from the car to hole #1, through the course, and back to my car.

No, the above numbers are based on one day per event. Not two days or an average. I just pulled the data from either a Saturday or Sunday.

Yes it includes all walking from the time I enter the parking area until I leave the parking area.

I agree, I certainly walk more during an event compared to a casual round. A lot of shuffling around during events.

BogeyNoMore 03-28-2020 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holly7845 (Post 3568090)
No, the above numbers are based on one day per event. Not two days or an average. I just pulled the data from either a Saturday or Sunday.

Yes it includes all walking from the time I enter the parking area until I leave the parking area.

I agree, I certainly walk more during an event compared to a casual round. A lot of shuffling around during events.

Thank for responding.

I understand the underlined... they were single day events. But I assume mileage you gave was for 2 rounds, no?

If so, we'd cut those #'s on half to get a "per round" distance walked.

brutalbrutus 03-28-2020 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3568125)
Thank for responding.

I understand the underlined... they were single day events. But I assume mileage you gave was for 2 rounds, no?

If so, we'd cut those #'s on half to get a "per round" distance walked.

I can see 5mi for a single round at Idlewild Open. Like I posted before, a guy got 16mi for a 2rd dubs tourney. Just the hole distance for the tourney 18 there is almost 2mi and then you also have to walk 3 unused holes and the normal walks in-between holes. Then all the milling around waiting to tee off, walking around the greens, walking up to see lines on the blind holes, crisscrossing fairways...etc Also might not have had all the spotters out there in the early morning rounds, so they might have had to hunt for discs on a couple holes.