Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Stiffer flight plate = more distance? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140595)

seedlings 11-21-2021 07:41 PM

Stiffer flight plate = more distance?

Watching a random YT disc demo and guy said that he could tell which plastic had more distance by the flight plate. Dude said stiffer flight plate has more distance than softer flight plate, for the same mold. That sounds like mumbo jumbo to me based on Gstar, star, champ in my bag, but maybe itís a wives tale based on hint of truth?

GripEnemy 11-21-2021 08:08 PM

No science guru here, but that can't be true. I've thrown countless hundreds of discs over the years and never once was that an observation of mine. Typically domey goes farther, typically flatter means more overstable, but there's always exceptions to these rules.

Until discs are produced in the same facility as microprocessors or lab equipment, we'll never have a definitive answer.

For now the best we get is the same lab John Jones got his dick pills from (heh).

autocrosscrx 11-22-2021 10:36 AM

I've had a similar thought of recent...

I throw a lot of DX drivers. I really like stiff, chalky Destroyers and Wraiths. Since I tend to lose drivers, I'll occasion buy 3 DX drivers on a friday to get a F2 Friday disc that might be of interest. After years of getting stifff, chalky drivers, the last few orders have been these really soft, glossy, almost Pro-like discs. And they don't fly nearly as far.

...and I've had similar experience with Pro plastic. The last couple of Pro discs that I've ordered online were incredibly soft. And none of them fly nearly as far as the same molds Pro molds from a few years ago. Those are by no means stiff, but they are definitely stiffer than the new stuff.

ThrowaEnvy 11-22-2021 11:47 AM

Yeah, I kind of found that with envy's, comets and some drivers. All factors identical, a star/plasma plastic disc will not fly quite as far as a champ/proton. I figured something between less air resistance and less imperfections in the flight plate/dome. When the dome starts to drop or divot it will make it less stable but it also creates turbulence. IME it was maybe 10' difference. If you can get more flex out of a star disc it will increase your distance that way.

A slicker plastic should have less air resistance but if it affects your grip you also won't transfer as much power/spin. It also tends to fly straighter with less of an S.

Kinda like the dome thing, seems to me dome can add glide but it can also provide a touch more hss to overcome. Sometimes flat means it turns easier but fades harder and faster.

flatflip 11-22-2021 12:06 PM

Actually surface roughness improves aerodynamics, up to a point -- thus the dimples on a golf ball.

I am in the same boat -- I've cycled DX firebirds forever and I have a hard time getting the flight I want on low lines out of the softer blends, even with similar PLH and dome. Assuming this is my technique which torques the disc in a way that makes it burn over too quickly (like, it rolls more than a roadrunner). I've had to replace this slot recently with something more predictable (specifically a MOLF, and yes, they are stiff).

For some reason, I do not have this problem with floppy mids and putters. Guessing this is because I tend to get more air under them.

Three Putt 11-22-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seedlings (Post 3770277)
Watching a random YT disc demo and guy said that he could tell which plastic had more distance by the flight plate. Dude said stiffer flight plate has more distance than softer flight plate, for the same mold. That sounds like mumbo jumbo to me based on Gstar, star, champ in my bag, but maybe itís a wives tale based on hint of truth?

People say a lot of things. I'd file that away under "funny things frolfer think are true" and move on with my day. :|

ThrowBot 11-22-2021 01:00 PM

Maybe the stiffness of the fight plate is a hand feel thing. Depending on grip & technique, some throwers might be able to rip harder on more firm disc.

chevis 11-22-2021 02:02 PM

more believable than saying 'nice' can affect disc flight

BillFleming 11-22-2021 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevis (Post 3770410)

WAIT!!!! You mean it doesn't? Dang, now what excuse do I have?

seedlings 11-22-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevis (Post 3770410)

Wait, wait, hold on now. I played a glow round with a casual friend and an acquaintance who I had played with only once before. They got MAD at each other for calling nice.