Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Bard (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112826)

PMantle 02-16-2015 08:43 PM

Just from the little I can see in that vid, the Bard wing looks more Warshipy than Verdicty.

nolangherity 02-16-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdieMachine (Post 2701689)
It's a little deeper inside also, 1.3 rim depth vs 1.2. Bard should be slower then the Verdict. Plus some dome will also slow it down, Verdicts are pretty board flat.

ah thats very interesting! thank you for pointing that out.

BrotherDave 02-16-2015 09:22 PM

Hell, if it's a Warship that doesn't get flippy it would be pretty useful in Westside's lineup.

World Eater 02-17-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJB (Post 2701610)
Okie dokie. I have a Drone, so I'll pick up a Verdict or a Mace, whichever I can find easier around here.

Not sure the Mace is going to be a very useful comparison. totally different beast.

Andy, how do you not have a Verdict? You should get one of those anyway, except you'll have a Bard which I think will probably be pretty similar...

Anyone have a pic of the rim? if its similar to the Verdict/Truth/Claymore rim I might try some.

DeLa-Loc654 02-17-2015 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by World Eater (Post 2701943)
Anyone have a pic of the rim? if its similar to the Verdict/Truth/Claymore rim I might try some.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 2693585)

From first page

Toxic Twinky 02-17-2015 02:17 AM

How does it handle forehands compared to the Verdict?

Hoss22 02-17-2015 11:20 AM

Quote:

Not sure the Mace is going to be a very useful comparison. totally different beast.

Andy, how do you not have a Verdict? You should get one of those anyway, except you'll have a Bard which I think will probably be pretty similar...

How is the Opto Mace a different beast from the Bard? And, I do want to clarify from my post that I was curious about Opto (ZH and GL have pretty different flight characteristics from my experience)...from the few Opto Maces that I have thrown, at 300', they have absolutely 0 HSS fly like maybe a speed 4.5, and have a hefty fade at the end of the flight. This coupled with the deeper rim, sounds like a Bard to me. That's the only reason I was curious. But maybe the 2 Opto Maces I threw were weird ones...who knows. I'm trying to think of discs outside of just the Verdict, because I don't think its going to feel or fly like the Verdict.

AndyJB 02-17-2015 11:22 AM

Quote:

I have thrown one a couple times but never clicked with it. I'll make sure to throw it more before the video so I don't look like an idiot trying to throw it on tape.

World Eater 02-17-2015 05:56 PM

@Hoss22, I tend to put Maces in the flat top straight mid category, but I think you're right. Maces are more HSS and have a harder fade than most other discs like that (Truth, Roc3, Buzzz, etc.) so maybe the comparison is pretty useful.

@DeLa Wow.. That looks nice. Very similar rim to my current mid lineup. I'll definitely be picking one of those up at our Westside Warmup at Monroe in a couple weeks. Thanks for the pic, you rock!

@Andy lol, you'll do fine! just think Z Hornet with all the HSS you could ask for.

kw83028 02-20-2015 10:18 AM

Release date Feb 28th. 11PM CT

pecosROB 02-22-2015 01:48 PM

I hope I get every Bard I ordered. Grabbed a few seers and Swan reborns. I say grabbed, I should say ordered. This will be an exciting week for me.

Monkeypaws 02-22-2015 05:35 PM

I'm probably gonna wait for my local shop to get them in. Definitely interested in all three.

AzteC 02-22-2015 10:26 PM

I ordered two over a week ago and they still aren't in. :(

onemilemore 02-22-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzteC (Post 2707908)
I ordered two over a week ago and they still aren't in. :(

They haven't been released yet.

AndyJB 02-22-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onemilemore (Post 2707918)
They haven't been released yet.

And won't be until next week. They are probably still on the boat (?) from Finland.

AndyJB 02-26-2015 04:10 PM

I stand corrected...Infinite got theirs in and I have a VIP and TP Bard on the way!

Kodachrome 02-26-2015 04:12 PM

Kind of an ugly design For a stamp when the foil is plain, but there are some amazing foils that bring it to life in a big way. Pretty awesome, bravo! One with a bunch of stars and gears in it, reminds me of Kirby's dreamland.

Kodachrome 02-26-2015 05:49 PM

i was || that close to walking out with one just to throw it since it was so purty.

PMantle 02-26-2015 05:50 PM

Someone please do a Vs. with Verdict when you can.

World Eater 02-26-2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMantle (Post 2712158)

seen the vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXkeoGcGx1c

nothin verbal, but he throws 'em.

PMantle 02-26-2015 06:53 PM

I have the hardest time following the flights.

AndyJB 02-26-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMantle (Post 2712158)

I ordered a Verdict specifically because it was asked for in this thread. I'll also compare it against the Buzzz OS and maybe the Drone.

World Eater 02-26-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMantle (Post 2712230)
I have the hardest time following the flights.

lol, I believe the Bard was shorter and had more fade. its a little hard to tell because I think he releases the Bard a little later and sends it out to the right further, but it comes back harder I believe.

Anyway, cant wait to have the real skinny. I'll be picking mine up on Saturday and will post in the evening.

Andy, do you have your Bards yet?

PMantle 02-26-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJB (Post 2712286)
I ordered a Verdict specifically because it was asked for in this thread. I'll also compare it against the Buzzz OS and maybe the Drone.

:dancingbanana:

AndyJB 02-26-2015 10:46 PM

they shipped today so I'll have mine Saturday or Monday. I'll throw 'em and give written feedback on here, but if the weather doesn't lift I'm not going to able to film (discs won't show up on white sky background)

Monkeypaws 02-27-2015 12:56 AM

Bard looks like it will be a very handy mid for blustery spring weather.

I like these March 1 releases Westside has has the last few years.

AndyJB 02-28-2015 04:02 PM

Bards received today. VIP has a slightly sunken top, while the TP is flat with a barely there shoulder rise. Comparing to the Verdict, the Bard is quite a bit deeper. Similar beads. I'll have a short preview video up soon...weather is still holding me back from a true review video...

DeLa-Loc654 02-28-2015 04:09 PM

These are up on infinite discs now. I picked up a 177g orange VIP. Should be beefy

AndyJB 02-28-2015 07:23 PM

Preview

As promised, here is the preview for the Bard. I will try and get out and film some tomorrow...no promises...but I'll have the full video up as soon as possible!

Snaques 03-01-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJB (Post 2714055)
Bards received today. VIP has a slightly sunken top, while the TP is flat with a barely there shoulder rise. Comparing to the Verdict, the Bard is quite a bit deeper. Similar beads. I'll have a short preview video up soon...weather is still holding me back from a true review video...

Interesting. I'm really curious to hear how the Bard flies, but what comes to the feel, to me at least, they are worlds apart.

The verdict is flat with no shoulder, no bead and a very low profile. As a result it is very fast for a mid.

The Bard, that I got to feel in a store, on the other hand is very deep, has a substantial shoulder which makes it feel like it is domey and has a big bead. I expect it to be quite a bit slower than the Verdict.

So from the Trilogy mids I've tried, these are maybe the furthest apart from each other. I'd say that maybe a Warship is what would come closest to the Bard in feel.

AndyJB 03-01-2015 03:46 PM

I don't know what Bard you felt, but the ones I have have the exact same micro bead as the Verdict.

The main difference is the wing. Bards is very blunt and rounded while the Verdict is much sharper. The bard does have a bigger rise in the shoulder, but the two I have are just as flat as a Verdict, with one being even flatter. I don't think these will fly anything like a Warship.

Check my preview video and see if my Bards are equivalent to the ones you saw.

Kodachrome 03-01-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaques (Post 2714762)
Interesting. I'm really curious to hear how the Bard flies, but what comes to the feel, to me at least, they are worlds apart.

The verdict is flat with no shoulder, no bead and a very low profile. As a result it is very fast for a mid.

The Bard, that I got to feel in a store, on the other hand is very deep, has a substantial shoulder which makes it feel like it is domey and has a big bead. I expect it to be quite a bit slower than the Verdict.

So from the Trilogy mids I've tried, these are maybe the furthest apart from each other. I'd say that maybe a Warship is what would come closest to the Bard in feel.

I don't agree. Mace would be closer IMO in terms of feel. not much shoulder at all, really. really flat. Felt like a good beaded mid. Thumbed through stacks of them at gggt and they were all pretty similar. Maybe you got a crappy one?

World Eater 03-01-2015 04:24 PM

Mace has a flanged rim, more like a warship. The picture of the Bard rim a few pages back looks pretty much like the Verdict/Truth/Claymore rim with a little more bead.

I'm really curious about the fade. Hoping for some real right to left travel on it. I banged up my foot so I didnt make it out to Tall Firs this weekend to pick mine up. Im about to place an order and trying to decide on weights and plastics.

Kodachrome 03-01-2015 04:29 PM

I guess we're all kind of all over the place in our comparisons. I meant how it felt a little deeper, not quite as fast. But also by no means a slow disc.

august dupree 03-01-2015 05:18 PM

I just picked up a 169 tournement Bard and threw it about 10 times in an open field. Initial thoughts are:
Great deep feel in the hands. Lots of HSS. It will not flip. The fade is strong but not dumpy like a new Hard Harp or a Gator. It's more of a gradual forward fading kind of disc. I think it will be a sweeping hyzer machine and make a perfect compliment to a Truth/Claymore/Warship. Looking forward to getting it out on the course. My mind is already day dreaming about the lines I'm going to hit.

AndyJB 03-01-2015 05:19 PM

so the weather turned bad for filming, and I'm stuck inside with these pretty new Bards. Using extremeley scientific measurements called "eyesight" and "feel" I would like to amend my previous statement: the Bard does have a bigger bead than the Verdict. While the Verdict has a microbead, the Bard has a true bead, albiet much smaller than the other beaded discs I'm fiddling with: Ion, Wizard, Scale, KC Aviar, Roc and Vein.

What gives it the illusion of a bigger bead is the rim shape itself. As you can all see from the pictures posted earlier, the Bard has more of a "ski slope" lip than the Verdict, which has more of one graduated slope. The Bard bead has more hieight but no more width/depth than the Verdicts microbead.

As for depth, I would say the Bard is easily twice as deep as the Verdict. I'm on my phone so I can't look up the exact specs, but it FEELS twice as deep, if not more. The Bards top is just as flat as the Verdict, but it has noticeable shoulder rise (which likely gives it the added depth) whereas the Verdict practically goes from lip to top, with no transisition, a la Buzzz OS.

Overall, the Bard feels more like a traditional mid (like the Warship and Tursas) as opposed to a wholly unique feel like the Verdict. All those nuances aside, they actually aren't all that different. Similar noses, with the Verdicts actually being a little taller and blunter.

Still haven't thrown them, but just by feel the Verdict will be faster...it's just made to slice through the air. In effect, I believe this will mean the Bard will be beefier. I surmise they may actually have the same distance potential.

august dupree 03-01-2015 08:47 PM

After thinking about this for a while, I actually think the Bard is a lot like a Star Rancho Roc but with a more comfortable flat top grip. This may or may not be what some of you would like to hear. Your mileage may vary. I for one am immediately enthused.

Kodachrome 03-01-2015 10:57 PM

Bt bard would probably scare my rocs.

Sooner34 03-01-2015 11:02 PM

Hmm. I wonder if an Opto Bard is the OS wind fighting Roc I want... Very interested about them!

AzteC 03-02-2015 01:58 AM

My TP bard has a puddle top on it which is cool, my vip one is pretty flat. Was rainey today in San Diego (what a shocker), but I will get out to my local course to test them out when the weather permits. I can't wait.