Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   PD v Thunderbird? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119569)

ODRB 12-18-2015 05:01 PM

PD v Thunderbird?
 
Let's have a civil and meaningful discussion about the differences between these two seemingly-identical discs. Let's leave the obviously-inferior Starfire out of it.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...896321777921OO

ThunderMuffin 12-18-2015 05:10 PM

Why would you call the Starfire inferior, let alone "obviously" inferior? They're a damn good mold and anyone who has known the market for a decade or more will agree with me.

PD > Starfire I understand the argument. The Thunderbird hasn't even been out for a year.

whentherainscome 12-18-2015 05:16 PM

I swapped my S-PD for a Champ Thunderbird. Same flight and better grip on the JL plastic blend. PDs are more versatile but only because they've had more runs/plastics to provide the variants needed to cover so much ground. You can throw a Thunderbird in a bag of PDs and not skip a beat.

DGHippie 12-18-2015 05:19 PM

I've used both of them as faster alternatives to my eagles. In my experience, PDs are more similar to a longer Eagle X's and Thunderbird are more similar to longer fresh Eagle L's. I beat in my first PD, so it can cover shots where I might have otherwise used a Thunderbird. I dropped the Thunderbird because I like cycling discs. Even if I really clicked with the Thunderbird, I'd still keep a PD in the bag for when the wind picks up or if I need a sharper hyzer finish.

Disclaimer - I've only thrown max weight C and S-Line PDs and max weight glow thunderbirds. There are quite a few variants of each disc so YMMV.

hugheshilton 12-18-2015 05:32 PM

I've never liked the anhyzer top on the PD. Seems to make me not get a consistent release with it, although I completely understand that that's my own issue and probably also due to me never taking the time to really learn to throw them.

Anyway I'm currently throwing DX Thunderbirds, which I love. They start out very beefy but still with some glide, I'd say beefier than the S-PD's I've thrown (granted I've only thrown a couple). I've thrown champion and GStar Thunderbirds briefly as well, and they both started out less overstable than the DX. I haven't thrown a Star Thunderbird, but I've heard they are quite OS with less glide. Given the variance in Thunderbirds by plastic, I'm guessing you could cover all the same lines people use PDs for, but my experience is fairly limited so I could be wrong. Possibly the more OS runs of C-PDs are still more OS than a Star Thunderbird?

SD86 12-18-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910010)
Let's have a civil and meaningful discussion about the differences between these two seemingly-identical discs. Let's leave the obviously-inferior Starfire out of it.
http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...896321777921OO

You want a civil discussion then proceed to slander the Starfire like that?!?!? :p

SD86 12-18-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGHippie (Post 2910024)
I've used both of them as faster alternatives to my eagles. In my experience, PDs are more similar to a longer Eagle X's and Thunderbird are more similar to longer fresh Eagle L's.

I'll buy that for a dollar, though maybe a Canadian dollar.

ilmcgee 12-18-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderMuffin (Post 2910014)
Why would you call the Starfire inferior, let alone "obviously" inferior? They're a damn good mold and anyone who has known the market for a decade or more will agree with me.

PD > Starfire I understand the argument. The Thunderbird hasn't even been out for a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD86 (Post 2910035)
You want a civil discussion then proceed to slander the Starfire like that?!?!? :p

Haha :doh:

OB Four 12-18-2015 05:46 PM

I mainly throw first run PDs, so take that in mind in my comments..

They are pretty similar discs in feel and flight. The main difference for me is the glide. They both have similar distance potential, I'm typically throwing them in the 370-400 range. The Thunderbird will get there by glide and the PD will get there by speed. The PD typically works better in wind for me also.

BirdieMachine 12-18-2015 05:52 PM

I don't always agree with the charts but they are pretty close to my experience with these two. Biggest difference is that the SPD has a little earlier and harder fade then the Champ Thunderbird. I prefer the Thundy. I've thought about trying the CD-2 also, seems very close to the Thunderbird also spec and chart wise.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.