Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bag Suggestions & Feedback (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Developing Yet Fun bag (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126144)

GoobyPls 02-09-2017 11:19 AM

Developing Yet Fun bag

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 8 months; a couple years of rec-level Ultimate
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Yeti/KC Aviar: 150/180'; Roc+: 200/240'; Valkyrie/Saint: 240/290'

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Runner's knee
Other sport proficiencies?: Football

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I'm a noodle-arm who tends to prefer lighter-weight stuff (to a point), and this mostly covers that

Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to make sure I'm bagging what I need as a mostly-beginner while still keeping my weekly game fun. Shooting in the upper-70's is not fun.

Immediate and long-term goals: Improve distance and work on form, but still be able to play with my more-experienced friends every week. Would like to be driving ~350' long-term, don't need more than that.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
158 Opto Air Saint (new) - main driver, used ~60% of the time
149 StarLite Teebird (used) - straight/control drives, used ~20% of the time
139 StarLite Valkyrie (used) - long-range rollers, used two or three times a round
150 DX Firebird (beat) - headwinds & overhands, used once or twice a round

Mids:
167 R-Pro Roc+, (beat) - main mid
165 G* Valkyrie (used) - standing roller approaches (less than 200'), kind of a utility disc

Putters:
160 Yeti Pro Aviar, (beat) - main putter

thirtydirtybirds 02-09-2017 01:13 PM

Toss a fresh Dx Roc in there.
I think you might benefit from a slower Understable driver, I'm right about in the same skill pocket as you and it helped me a lot. Suggestions for that: JLS, Leopard, FD, River. I just rediscovered my JLS stash and it is by far the best driver for me. Between a Glow (soft glow champion), Quantum (champion), and regular millennium (innova pro like) I've got it all covered except steady hard winds.

GoobyPls 02-09-2017 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds (Post 3137035)
I think you might benefit from a slower Understable driver, I'm right about in the same skill pocket as you and it helped me a lot. Suggestions for that: JLS, Leopard, FD, River.

I got a River from my local brick-and-mortar store about two weeks ago and loved it. The problem was the only color they had was purple, which was impossible to find for the one round I threw it. I traded it for the Saint, but have a couple of brightly-colored X-out Rivers on order.

Pymm 02-09-2017 01:48 PM

I would suggest a straight/US mid to complement your OS Roc. I bag both a Comet and a Mako3, which are both great. I used to bag a Claymore but lost it. I keep meaning to replace it; great disc. Maybe at some point you could add an OS putter for windy days and for approaches. I use a Harp for that. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend and it slowly grew into a great upshot disc for me.

Nice to see you using the Saint, hands-down my favorite driver.

SD86 02-10-2017 04:55 PM

Looks like a good bag, and since you have River on order, the bag will get even better when the River arrives.

The only thing I would consider is a very overstable mid/approach disc for fighting the wind. Maybe a Gator or a Harp, something along those lines.

drew2000 02-12-2017 09:59 PM

Try out a very low weight Blizzard Champion Boss. I have one that is 136 and can typically throw around 350-375, and the Blizzard Boss was my go to distance driver for a while to the point that it got so beat I can throw a roller with it with under 400ft of power.

lines 02-13-2017 06:42 AM

I would add a few more mid options. If you like the way the roc feels consider adding a dx roc for a predictable, straight flight and a champ roc3 for something more overstable (hooks, skips, flicks). Grab a few more putters... practice, practice, practice. You have a good start on drivers (not sure why you have a valkyrie listed as a mid).

zontar 02-13-2017 07:57 AM

another Roc for sure. my noodle arm does about the same distances yours does. the Roc is dependable and versatile.

EROPPER 02-13-2017 08:14 AM

Harp could be your 1 disc solution for OS approaches, windy putts, get out of trouble FHs, mid/putter combo- I highly recommend it, I love the feel (beadless) in the medium plastic

GoobyPls 02-13-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lines (Post 3138194)
You have a good start on drivers (not sure why you have a valkyrie listed as a mid).

I listed it as a mid because that particular one is my go-to for standstill roller approaches. The only time I drive with it is during field practice.