Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pay to play disc golf (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12816)

tmahan 03-05-2010 01:16 AM

I'll generally contribute for any course I want kept around.

Rupert M 03-05-2010 01:25 AM

I left ball-golf and started playing disc-golf almost immediately after my Pings were stolen. To replace my awesome set of clubs, I would have had to sell my car, blood, plasma and dog. That and the greens-fees, which average $40-50 a round, combined with the high cost of balls, gloves, shoes, etc was a great excuse to try a new past-time. I've been playing for twelve years, pay-to-play courses, free courses, private courses, tourney fees, park entry fees, bags and discs combined...you can't even compare the two. We have it so easy and cheap, its laughable.
It is funny, though. Some of you that don't like the pay-to-play deal have spent quite a bit of $$$ on your HUNDREDS of discs. Hypocritical??
All in all, the courses that do charge $1- $10 to play a round are really freaking nice. Mostly. Just remember, tip your servers.

REDARMY 03-05-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevep (Post 285870)
Should it be free or pay to play?

Read article here

don't need to read it. pay-to-play keeps the douchebag/drunk/pothead factor down and also (hopefully) goes towards course improvements.

a win-win if you ask me.

craftsman 03-05-2010 01:34 AM

Kensignton- worth it
Hudson- worth it
willow-????

compn 03-05-2010 07:34 AM

i'm only opposed to some doofus on a segway, put that disc golf fee in the park admission and i'm absolutely fine with that. at dexter, its a washtenaw county law offence (misdemeanor?) if you dont have your disc golf tag and get caught. i know this because they had it plastered on a sign before you start playing. hope it doesnt blow your concentration!

Quote:

It is funny, though. Some of you that don't like the pay-to-play deal have spent quite a bit of $$$ on your HUNDREDS of discs. Hypocritical??
in this thread i'm the only one who said he didnt like some negatives to the pay to play course. but if you want to complain about non existant posters, then go right ahead.

compn 03-05-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftsman (Post 286247)
Kensington I'm guessing. H mills people are nice. How do feel about the $50 price. I'll admit it hurt shellin out $70 for the pass ang tag- and that's before any league fees.

i usually just get daily passes. i could see buying a yearly one , but i would lose the tag pretty quickly for sure. i dont play with a bag (so i cant put the tag on it) because i'm a single discer.

willow is playable in early spring or fall. worth playing if you already bought the tag and its in your area, no doubt.

Quote:

I also think it bs they want to charge for non players. I realize this is a slipery slope but sometimes a lil common sense is in need.
kensington charged my mom to walk the dog with us. thats another reason i'd rather see the fee put into the park admission.

jkdisc 03-05-2010 07:50 AM

i dont mind if: fee is low and the course is worth it

skottyb 03-05-2010 08:52 AM

Anyone in the Twin Cities should be overjoyed to have Timmy Gill devote his time and money too promote disc golf in the area. You have some (if not) the best courses in the country. Pay to play is definitely the way to go to when it comes to top notch facilities. Nothing is free afterall

DavidSauls 03-05-2010 09:19 AM

I wouldn't say pay-to-play is the future of disc golf....but it's part of the future.

In my experience the fees are modest, especially compared to the benefits.

This will vary widely from place to place, depending on the quality and crowdedness of the free public courses.

Pay-to-play itself varies widely. Private courses, courses on ball golf courses and ski resorts, state parks and similar county parks where there's a fee to enter, etc.

Pay-to-play expands the choices for disc golfers, with the opportunity for better courses, better amenities, courses that are disc-golf-exclusive, and sometimes features you couldn't offer on a public course.

_.-Dut-._ 03-05-2010 10:01 AM

I cant imagine the sport will ever become pay to play, simply because of how many free options in public parks there is now. The sport would become less attractive to alot of people aswell.

With all that being said I have never played a pay to play course, mainly because I am surrounded by great courses that are free. I am not against some popping up and like others have said I am all for supporting Private courses. Also the IDGC in GA charges fees and I plan to play those fairly soon.

Quote:

No, its not hypocritical to not want to pay to use a course but dont mind buying your own equipment. No more than it would be hypocritical to buy a car, but not want a toll booth put on your road.