Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pay to play disc golf (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12816)

Fender088 03-05-2010 10:06 AM

I think that free courses are the best way to get people into the game. After you've been playing awhile I think you realize the importance of paying to keep the maintained courses with great amenities around. However, I do think it's cool if you can reciprocate in other ways such as sponsorships, buying discs from them, etc.
I also think it's cool if private courses have specific days of the year where they let in people for free to check out the layout and such. It only spreads the sport.

_.-Dut-._ 03-05-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fender088 (Post 286400)
I do think it's cool if you can reciprocate in other ways

^^ I agree totally with that. The free courses are still upket, ussually by the local disc golf club. If it wasnt for them using their time and money than vandalism and theft would make many courses unplayable shortly after being put into the ground.

Dave242 03-05-2010 10:27 AM

I did a quick search of the top 20 rated courses on this site (with 5+ votes). 11 of 20 are pay to play and at least 10 are private.

As such, DGCR users have voted convincingly that Pay-4-Play DG has a huge part in the existence of elite courses.

leppard 03-05-2010 10:30 AM

I've never paid to play, but I would if I had the opportunity. It's fun to play new courses.

solomon.trenton 03-05-2010 11:01 AM

i dont mind paying as i said before but within reason. i remember someone mentioning having to pay 20 bucks for a lift ticket to the top of a ski mountain in the off season. seriously, WTF? put in a course lower so you dont have to run the lifts.

wolito 03-05-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therealbigtrav (Post 285901)
I love the pay to play. It keeps the "riff raff" out, and the course amenities and maintenance are usually top notch. I don't mind paying a few dollars to not have to wait behind groups of eight who only care about drinking and smoking. I'm glad that there are still free courses, but I have been buying seasonal memberships at two separate courses for the last five years.

Agreed. I have yet to pay to play any courses, but certianly open to. If a donation box is available at the start, I will always put some money in there. Great to have a free sport, but the few bucks to play a great course is certianly reasonable as well.

paulrothley@msn.com 03-05-2010 11:31 AM

Guy's, Guy's, Guy's - Wake up!! I ran a recreation department for a city, and a county. I can tell you first hand that when a city or county rec. center decides to drop 10 to 15 large of tax payers money on anything, they are looking for that final project to be somewhat self sustaining. Is the public pool free, a little league for your kid, evening flag football league, seniors aerobics, NO, none of these things are free. There is always a nominal user fee to support the least funded department in any city or county (the parks & recreatuion department). NOTHING is free, and we should all be very thankfull that we have played for free this long, but someone paid at least 10 large to put in whatever course that you play for free on. We should be throwing money in those donation boxes in abundance every chance we get to let these people know that we appreciate the course and there efforts to put it in. We are spoiled and the gravy train will not last forever, EVERYTHING costs money, WAKE UP, and support your local courses W/ all the resources you have access to.

Scott Van Dyke 03-05-2010 04:30 PM

Private course or city park. I would pay $2 for the option to play the entire day at any course out there. If the course sucks, then I won't be back. Pay to Play work well for me for several reasons:

1. Less traffic.
2. Course now has a staff to help keep it clean and work on "projects".
3. Less traffic.

craftsman 03-05-2010 07:16 PM

Let me say that I am not against ptp, BUT....
Why only dg??? So everyone pays $4(or $20/yr) to get in, but why is it only us that has to pay the extra $2(or $50/yr)? I'd imagine more people get hurt riding thier bikes or skating then discin. I also feel the beach people leave more trash. Or the fact that a playground cost 3-10+ the price of a course.
I don't mind paying but I do feel a lil picked on.

RussMB 03-05-2010 07:33 PM

I've got to say, I have no problem dropping cash to play a P2P. I've yet to got to Trophy Lakes in Charleston, but I've been told it's a fantastic course! I agree with whoever said it. If you want the Course to grow, plant some seeds. (Seeds=Cash) I love a good Free course, don't get me wrong. I didn't care for it much before, but now I've kinda changed my tune. We had a FANTASTIC 18 hole course here in SC. It was on a campground. Well, the cost to maintenance, became a problem as long as it was free. So the Owner made it a P2P. ...well, now it's gone. This was a course, you would have wanted to pay to play! I drove 40 miles to try to find it, only to discover it was extinct.
A fantastic course, gone because no one wanted to chip in! :(
Stillwater Farms RIP

Course webpage

Granted, I don't want to see courses gouging prices, but I would like to see more courses at full potential!