Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2019 USDGC (Jomez lovefest optional) (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134994)

DiscJunkie 09-17-2019 10:12 AM

Personally, I don't think Innova has any obligation whatsoever to use Jomez.
Whether or not it's the best strategy is a totally different question.

They typically provide good coverage, and it will be free.
I still remember years that I had to wait to buy the DVD.

Sense of entitlement anyone?

perklc 09-17-2019 11:01 AM

And if they are using SpinTV for post, they put out a great product (other than their intro music which makes me feel like they are trying to sell me H2Flow from Parks and Rec).

turbosteve 09-17-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streets (Post 3497891)
Lol Salient...

Agreed. Jomez is great, and I think they are doing some of the best marketing in DG right now, but their fanboys need to dial it back several notches.

You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.

BlueMonk 09-17-2019 11:32 AM

Edit: I just saw SpinTV is involved so my post was kind of pointless.

Ryan P. 09-17-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbosteve (Post 3497921)
You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.

There is a lot of discussion around whether tournament sponsors are also video sponsors. In my mind, if Jomez isn't being paid to come to the tournament, they can do whatever they want with their videos. If the event or someone associated with the event is paying them, that becomes a little bit murkier (it then depends on what they are being paid for). JTacoma knows a lot more than I do and has a lot of good thoughts on it.

Hampstead 09-17-2019 01:37 PM

Like any other coverage, I'll watch it once and then decide if it's worth watching again.

Gonna save my outrage for now.

DiscJunkie 09-17-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan P. (Post 3497978)
There is a lot of discussion around whether tournament sponsors are also video sponsors. In my mind, if Jomez isn't being paid to come to the tournament, they can do whatever they want with their videos. If the event or someone associated with the event is paying them, that becomes a little bit murkier (it then depends on what they are being paid for). JTacoma knows a lot more than I do and has a lot of good thoughts on it.

Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.

jvphobic 09-17-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscJunkie (Post 3498005)
Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.

This is 100% correct.

Personally I would like to see some changes to policies regarding media rights. I believe that any PDGA approved company should be able to cover any event they choose. But, the TD/primary sponsor gets to pick lead card coverage. So if they have a preferred vendor, that works out for them. And all round coverage needs to include at least 1 or 2 (30-second) commercials from the primary sponsor of the event. The primary sponsor should have first right of refusal for all other commercial spots as well if they so desire.

But, we just are not in a place where it makes sense to lock out media rights. If a crew wants to cover 2nd or 3rd card of a major or NT, they should be allowed to.

Of course, that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that some sponsors and TDs would have issues with that.

lyleoross 09-17-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jvphobic (Post 3498023)
This is 100% correct.

Personally I would like to see some changes to policies regarding media rights. I believe that any PDGA approved company should be able to cover any event they choose. But, the TD/primary sponsor gets to pick lead card coverage. So if they have a preferred vendor, that works out for them. And all round coverage needs to include at least 1 or 2 (30-second) commercials from the primary sponsor of the event. The primary sponsor should have first right of refusal for all other commercial spots as well if they so desire.

But, we just are not in a place where it makes sense to lock out media rights. If a crew wants to cover 2nd or 3rd card of a major or NT, they should be allowed to.

Of course, that is just my humble opinion. I am sure that some sponsors and TDs would have issues with that.

It seems to me that the PDGA could do a package deal and control all media via an exchange of goods and services. I'm not advocating this, simply pointing out an alternative for others to fight over.

Now, media isn't going to pay for access in our sport, but ad placement and other graphics could be used instead of payment. Majors, NTs and A tiers would all come under such a process. Anything lower is up to the event.

This model gives the PDGA a bunch of power of the delivery of our sport in the media. To make it work better, I'd have a media control group that includes voices from major events to vote on and have a say in the relationship between media and the PDGA.

A lot of folks will be mad about such a thing but think what you could leverage with such a process. Advertising for other events, or across a series. Coordinated broadcasting and negotiation, top to bottom.

Yep, Innova would be upset that they couldn't go directly to SpinTV, but they are a PDGA sanctioned event. And coordinated broadcasting gives them a venue to advertise their event during other broadcast events.

Many sports leagues do exactly this. They do it for a couple of reasons, leverage of a larger product, and consistency.

befree1231 09-17-2019 07:19 PM

I just love how in a few short years we've gone from "Is anyone going to do video coverage of this event? I don't care who I'd just love to see coverage of this event because I love watching disc golf" to "BOYCOTT! RIOT! MY FAVORITE MEDIA TEAM ISN'T COVERING THE EVENT BYAHHH!!!!"

Some of y'all really need to grow up a bit and learn how the real world works, especially when it comes to business.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.