Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brodie Smith PDGA #128378 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135632)

DiscFifty 03-30-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3703725)
I don't know why some people are so surprised.

Probably because those who followed Brodie due to his trick shot videos witnessed his failure in 2 previous ventures before disc golf. The skill set doesn't surprise me near as much as his (disc golf related) business success does.

He took the exact...same...path with ball golf 2 years ago, but failed to build a sustainable revenue stream. It's all there... the skill growth, the celebs, the club fittings, tournament results critique, getting his girlfriend to play, etc, etc.

btw...this channel looks like he combined it with a much older channel.
https://www.youtube.com/c/BrodieSmithGolf/videos

Partnering up with McBeth early on was pure geniu$. Combine that with a substantial amount of luck regarding "right place, right time" and you have the foundation for a possible long term money maker.

Brodiesmith 03-30-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3704174)
He took the exact...same...path with ball golf 2 years ago, but failed to build a sustainable revenue stream.

Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

Ryan P. 03-30-2021 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

Welcome sir.

Luckj 03-30-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

I enjoy watching your journey. While I know there are a lot of naysayers, it's neat to see the results of someone dedicating themselves to the sport. I'll support anyone who loves throwing a disc and shares that passion with others. Keep working hard and good luck.

Jay Dub 03-30-2021 10:25 AM

Oh no, D50 is going to have a woody now. :p

If that's really Brodie.

davetherocketguy 03-30-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

Is there some way timg can verify this is Brodie? I really want it to be. It would be super cool to have Brodie a part of these discussions...

And FYI Brodie - feel free to call me a critic. Don't call me a hater. I don't do that. And welcome to DGCR good sir.

Jay Dub 03-30-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3704274)
Is there some way timg can verify this is Brodie? I really want it to be. It would be super cool to have Brodie a part of these discussions...

And FYI Brodie - feel free to call me a critic. Don't call me a hater. I don't do that.

I reported his post asking them to do just that. I think it'll take a little time.

Odd after all this time he finally decides to post here....if it's him.

DiscFifty 03-30-2021 01:10 PM

"Oh no, D50 is going to have a woody now. :p"

And Cherry would *** all over himself knowing it was really just another alt account of mine, that makes what....3 of mine now Cherry? ;) <3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

A lot more money in Golf??? Guessing it's not Brodie, it's common knowledge his golf videos didn't do too well, with only a few having over 300k views over 2 years. If it really is him, congrats on making the right decision and sticking with disc golf. He's obviously brought alot of new players into the sport. :clap:

Jay Dub 03-30-2021 01:11 PM

lol I love how easy you are.

brutalbrutus 03-30-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3704153)
I'd venture something near two decades of disc sports including working hard enough at it to be one of the best ultimate players in the world is a benefit to the muscle memory...

He also became a near scratch ball golfer at a fairly quick rate, right?

Emoney 03-30-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

Lol yes!!!

Welcome and please dont feed these ppl. Rise above!

Emoney 03-30-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3704274)
Is there some way timg can verify this is Brodie? I really want it to be. It would be super cool to have Brodie a part of these discussions...

And FYI Brodie - feel free to call me a critic. Don't call me a hater. I don't do that. And welcome to DGCR good sir.

If its him he can read the whole thread and figure who is who lol

davetherocketguy 03-31-2021 06:57 AM

I like how folks seem to know celebrities actual revenue without actually talking to said celebrity. Good times

Nick Pacific 03-31-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3703725)
I don't know why some people are so surprised.

Andrew Fish still working a day job - 998 end of 1st year, 1016 end of 2nd year.
Bodie Smith full time disc golfer - 999 end of 1st year, ....

Not exactly apples to apples though. Fish was a lot younger and had two healthy knees when he started. Also Fish was a very accomplished Ulti player and athlete so he wasn't just some newb.

I do think both Fish and Bradley Williams are the two best golfers today who have full time day jobs.

Jay Dub 03-31-2021 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3704482)
If its him he can read the whole thread and figure who is who lol

Not sure what this means. If you are talking about the super fan boys vs those who are not.

I'll make it easy for him about me, I think people who are super fans of ANY individual in ANY sport have mental issues. Get your own life.

I am one who's never said I hate Brodie but has been accused of it multiple times. :popcorn:

DiscFifty 03-31-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3704522)
I like how folks seem to know celebrities actual revenue without actually talking to said celebrity. Good times

I'm just looking at youtube view counts / socialblade stats, (I work in IT/Media/etc). Most people thought with all the merch / discs, selling out so fast, the Discraft sponsorships (lids and discs) that he was making bank. Turns out the man himself says he made more playing ball golf and gave all that money up to throw frisbees and compete again. Lots of people have questioned his commitment to the sport itself, that should clear that up.

Moose33 03-31-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

Brodie, if this is really you, on the next video you make Please yell MY LIFE! After a poor shot.

ejvogie 03-31-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose33 (Post 3704562)
Brodie, if this is really you, on the next video you make Please yell MY LIFE! After a poor shot.

I'd go more subtle. Just put a stick in the hole in 8's fairway. Any 8, doesn't matter where.

davetherocketguy 03-31-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3704551)
Turns out the man himself says he made more playing ball golf and gave all that money up to throw frisbees and compete again.

You're not basing that off of one post from a as of yet unverified account on DGCR are you?

txmxer 03-31-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3704600)
You're not basing that off of one post from a as of yet unverified account on DGCR are you?

My thought as well. Im a bit of a doubter on this one.

brutalbrutus 03-31-2021 12:24 PM

Ehh... It seems a rather obvious post to start with to think its really him. If it was a fake, i can think of lots of other posts in this thread they could have started with

txmxer 03-31-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3704617)
Ehh... It seems a rather obvious post to start with to think its really him. If it was a fake, i can think of lots of other posts in this thread they could have started with

Any response in this thread would beg the question.

But, I was thinking beyond this reply. Brodie's career is his social media presence. Playing disc golf is his side/supporting gig. He's not going to jump in to a social media platform half assed (IMO). It would be whole assed!

ejvogie 03-31-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3704624)
Any response in this thread would beg the question.

But, I was thinking beyond this reply. Brodie's career is his social media presence. Playing disc golf is his side/supporting gig. He's not going to jump in to a social media platform half assed (IMO). It would be whole assed!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3DxDIAsnSx5eg/giphy.gif

brutalbrutus 03-31-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3704624)
Any response in this thread would beg the question.

But, I was thinking beyond this reply. Brodie's career is his social media presence. Playing disc golf is his side/supporting gig. He's not going to jump in to a social media platform half assed (IMO). It would be whole assed!

But you're forgetting that he has likely been warned off getting too involved on this site by multiple people. For instance, paul used to be a fairly regular poster on here and that's who he started playing with.

Three Putt 03-31-2021 01:08 PM

I mean it's not a big thing. If you are someone who wants a verified account, timg is easy to find.

If that wasn't the guy OR it was the guy but he has no intention of posting regularly and doesn't feel the need to get the account verified, they won't contact timg.

As it is, if it is him the process of everyone guessing if it is or isn't him is keeping this thread active. Which isn't really necessary since this is by far the most active thread dedicated to anyone playing disc golf I can remember on this site.

Literally, this thread is getting traffic 3,000/60 over the Wysocki thread that started just a few months after this one. That's a lot of talking about Brodie Smith.

ChrisWoj 03-31-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3704274)
And FYI Brodie - feel free to call me a critic. Don't call me a hater. I don't do that. And welcome to DGCR good sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3704482)
If its him he can read the whole thread and figure who is who lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3704540)
I'll make it easy for him about me, I think people who are super fans of ANY individual in ANY sport have mental issues. Get your own life.

I am one who's never said I hate Brodie but has been accused of it multiple times. :popcorn:

Its super easy with me: Why yes, Brodie, I am the same abrasive ass that used to be on Twitter.

ejvogie 03-31-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisWoj (Post 3704644)
Its super easy with me: Why yes, Brodie, I am the same abrasive ass that used to be IRL.

QFT ;)

ChrisWoj 03-31-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3704653)
QFT ;)

I no longer exist IRL. :(

Whitehead has been hassling me about that. Just need to get this hip injury under control... doctor appointment to get a referral to an ortho today.

DiscFifty 03-31-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3704600)
You're not basing that off of one post from a as of yet unverified account on DGCR are you?

If it was a troll account, there's plenty of posts from the haters to have fun with. Maybe the ball golf > disc golf comparison pissed him off a bit and /or he's trying to down play the money he's making in disc golf. Who knows.... :popcorn:

Halbrust 04-07-2021 02:56 PM

Whether or not that post was from the real Brodie; it sure shut down this thread.

robdeforge 04-07-2021 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbrust (Post 3706540)
Whether or not that post was from the real Brodie; it sure shut down this thread.

there hasn't been anything interesting to talk about IMO. just looked at his twitter and i guess he's making 1000 1000 rated discs which is... something

glassila 04-07-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3706643)
there hasn't been anything interesting to talk about IMO. just looked at his twitter and i guess he's making 1000 1000 rated discs which is... something

I thought the same thing, the thread drying up had nothing to do with the post #2922 from Brodiesmith.
As soon as he has a great round/tournament this thread will heat up, likewise as soon as he says or does something controversial.

brutalbrutus 04-07-2021 10:36 PM

He's playing The Vintage this weekend so I'm sure "somebody" will have a post or two about his rounds...




:D

MaxFlight 04-07-2021 11:35 PM

Just tagged Brodie on the Foundation Discord to see if he's aware of this page. Will see if he responds.

DiscFifty 04-07-2021 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halbrust (Post 3706540)
Whether or not that post was from the real Brodie; it sure shut down this thread.

This should get it going again....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyZiHNdX...jpg&name=large

DiscFifty 04-07-2021 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFlight (Post 3706689)
Just tagged Brodie on the Foundation Discord to see if he's aware of this page. Will see if he responds.

He's aware..(of this thread)... he was tagged a long time ago. I'm guessing if it was a fake account the mods here would have shut it down by now.

MaxFlight 04-08-2021 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3706694)
He's aware..(of this thread)... he was tagged a long time ago. I'm guessing if it was a fake account the mods here would have shut it down by now.

Gotcha!

VictorB 04-08-2021 09:04 AM

I don't have an issue with Brodie doing a "1000" disc. It's a big deal for him. He probably commissioned it anyway (same with his get freaky stamps) it wouldn't be any different than you or I doing the same thing with a custom stamp. He's selling his brand, you can't really be mad at the guy for celebrating a goal that none of us will likely ever even get close to. That being said, I'm not buying one

Three Putt 04-08-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3706694)
He's aware..(of this thread)... he was tagged a long time ago. I'm guessing if it was a fake account the mods here would have shut it down by now.

Nobody is checking into an account that posted once, so don't take the fact that the account is open as proof of anything.

BuiltTooLong 04-08-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodiesmith (Post 3704195)
Just wanted to clear this up. I was making a lot more money in golf, than disc golf. I switched because I missed throwing the frisbee and competing.

Knowing what you know now (growth of disc golf, money earned by McBeth and others), would you say that your earnings potential is higher with disc golf or golf?

During the Pardon my Take interview it was stated that golf being so expensive is one of the reasons that drove you to disc golf. That doesn't exactly mesh with your statement here, although it doesn't completely contradict it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.