Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Max distance for average arm (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135385)

todvan 11-18-2019 05:02 PM

Max distance for average arm

Disc flight theory question:

Given that both discs are thrown correctly with proper nose angle at a medium power.

What flies further:

A stable disc but slower disc (say speed 7, turn 0) that gets up to proper flying speed with medium power.

-or-

An under stable but faster disc (say speed 11, turn -2) that may not be at full speed so it has just a bit of flip, but mostly goes straight at the same power.

Example: Teebird at proper speed vs Beast slightly underpowered. Just curious. Right now speed 9 is about my power level, but wondering if an under stable speed 11 or 12 would give me mor distance....thanks!

PMantle 11-18-2019 05:29 PM

The faster one. I have seen it over and over with lower power players. While maybe they should not be throwing the faster disc they don't get up to full power, that 7 0 disc is going to be really stable and go nowhere near as far.

texasissouth 11-18-2019 05:56 PM

I think max distance is probably going to be something between speed 9 or 11 and with high lift.
Like a Saint, River, Roadrunner, Sidewider, Mamba, Heat, Mantis.
Where it bites you is in the wind.

Siriusbomb 11-18-2019 06:05 PM

Right now speed 9 is about my power level, but wondering if an under stable speed 11 or 12 would give me mor distance....thanks!

They probably will, but not any more distance than an understable speed 9 would get you. Discs like the Valkyrie are made for arms like yours.

PMantle 11-18-2019 06:08 PM

Sidewinders are extremely long, and give me almost as much distance as my longest 12/13 speeds.

rocthecourse 11-18-2019 06:29 PM

From my experience the understable faster disc will go further.

Twmccoy 11-18-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMantle (Post 3520988)
The faster one. I have seen it over and over with lower power players. While maybe they should not be throwing the faster disc they don't get up to full power, that 7 0 disc is going to be really stable and go nowhere near as far.

I agree. Even when I was a crappy player years ago I'd throw Beasts well further than Teebirds. Faster discs will provide good distance, even with less than optimal arm speed.

The fact that the Beast has high speed turn is really the reason you'll see better distance with it. Throw the Teebird vs. a Starfire and things may be different. The Teebird and Starfire have no high speed turn, but the Starfire is going to fade out a lot sooner and harder.

I also agree about the Sidewinder comment. Thrown properly, those things will easily go as long as much faster discs.

R-Ogre 11-18-2019 07:03 PM

Or you could be a weirdo like me and get your max d forehand, and need a slightly overstable disc to get it :(

wolfmandragon 11-18-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3521041)
Or you could be a weirdo like me and get your max d forehand, and need a slightly overstable disc to get it :(

Sounds like you have low rotational speed.

Casey 1988 11-18-2019 08:52 PM

My dad can use any disc that is comfortable backhand for forehand except the Juju in supreame plastic, that disc is too floppy and deep for forehand. Yeah even the soft Pro/R-Pro Rhyno he can use.

Me When I could forehand beyond forehand and flick putts, I had to use slightly US 9 speed or lower discs to achieve this as I did not put enough speed on the disc in forehand with speed being a reason I stopped doing forehand shots.