Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   DIY field practice target? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140447)

Rastnav 10-26-2021 09:32 AM

DIY field practice target?
 
I’m looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I don’t want a portable basket. I’m not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore it’s basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod I’m going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

dmoore1998 10-26-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastnav (Post 3763999)
Iím looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I donít want a portable basket. Iím not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore itís basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod Iím going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

Home improvement stores have driveway markers so you know where to plow in the snow. Cheap, thin flagstick like, and just stick down into the ground easily. Lightweight, bright colors, less than a dollar.

Rastnav 10-26-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoore1998 (Post 3764005)
Home improvement stores have driveway markers so you know where to plow in the snow. Cheap, thin flagstick like, and just stick down into the ground easily. Lightweight, bright colors, less than a dollar.

Probably not down here in NC, but Iím sure I can find something online.

ray1970 10-26-2021 11:33 AM

Call me simple but if I need a target I just use my bag.

jakebake91 10-26-2021 11:40 AM

A regular orange cone?

autocrosscrx 10-26-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray1970 (Post 3764024)
Call me simple but if I need a target I just use my bag.

Every month or so, someone in our local group posts how they are doing fieldwork and someone will run up and steal their discs. So I'm pretty terrified that someone would take my bag.

GripEnemy 10-26-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3764029)
Every month or so, someone in our local group posts how they are doing fieldwork and someone will run up and steal their discs. So I'm pretty terrified that someone would take my bag.

I feel terrible for those who lost discs, but that's pretty damn funny not gonna lie. People are pathetic.

Some little disc goblin terrorizing the fields!

jupiterboy 10-26-2021 12:18 PM

Tree trunk, pretty not bad.

Monocacy 10-26-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastnav (Post 3763999)
Iím looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiterboy (Post 3764038)
Tree trunk, pretty not bad.

^ Tree trunk, telephone pole, stop sign, bush, etc. are my usual field work targets. Shame there aren't any trees in NC. ;)

Driveway marker is a good idea, too. Can probably mail-order if not available locally.

autocrosscrx 10-26-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripEnemy (Post 3764030)
I feel terrible for those who lost discs, but that's pretty damn funny not gonna lie. People are pathetic.

Some little disc goblin terrorizing the fields!

In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

Rastnav 10-26-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3764040)
^ Tree trunk, telephone pole, stop sign, bush, etc. are my usual field work targets. Shame there aren't any trees in NC. ;)

Driveway marker is a good idea, too. Can probably mail-order if not available locally.

Well, yes, I am aiming for objects in the background of where I am throwing. The opposite field foul pole makes a good target as well.

But, if the object is 450 feet away, and my putters are going 210, itís not quite the same. Ideally, I am looking for ways to practice both an aiming line and a final target.

Iíve even thought about taking the portable practice net I have out as a way of creating a sort of mando to throw around, but I donít know that something 7 to 8 foot high is really tall enough.

Monocacy 10-26-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastnav (Post 3764046)
But, if the object is 450 feet away, and my putters are going 210, itís not quite the same. Ideally, I am looking for ways to practice both an aiming line and a final target. . .

Maybe this is an ignorant question but . . . if an object is 450 feet away and you want to practice 210 foot throws, do you have the option of walking 240 feet towards the object, and then throwing from 210 feet away?

Rastnav 10-26-2021 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3764048)
Maybe this is an ignorant question but . . . if an object is 450 feet away and you want to practice 210 foot throws, do you have the option of walking 240 feet towards the object, and then throwing from 210 feet away?

Iím throwing in a baseball field, from one outfield corner towards the other. The things Iím throwing towards are outside the fence. Plus, I donít want to mar the actual field of play with repeated foot plants, so Iím always throwing from foul territory, preferable where there is already a lack of grass.

GripEnemy 10-26-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3764044)
In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

This thread is the first I'm hearing of either story lol. Wait...people *actually* hop out of their cars to steal discs? And *actually* steal field practice throws?

I thought it was just urban legend stuff.

Innova63 10-26-2021 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3764028)
A regular orange cone?

Most sporting goods stores carry small versions of orange traffic cones...

TurnedOver 10-26-2021 07:32 PM

The driveway marker is a great idea.

Lawn flags are cheap, portable, and can be seen from hundreds of feet away. As long as you don't mind throwing towards a 1 foot tall target.

txmxer 10-27-2021 12:16 AM

3/4” rebar, put a point on it. Depending on soil, you might be sble to jab it in the ground, otherwise a hammer is needed. Definitely could paint it and put a flag on it easy enough.

Alternatively, a T post, but that would be harder to drive. Could sharpen it up to maybe work as well.

HyooMac 10-27-2021 07:25 AM

I second the suggestion of lawn flags. I make a circle with them of my “100% putt range” (18’ around a flag at the center). It gives my field work real focus.

biscoe 10-27-2021 07:30 AM

I tend to just use a disc.

OnlyZuul 10-27-2021 11:40 AM

5 gallon bucket. Use it to carry all your stuff to the field, too. (You’ll find more uses for a bucket than a traffic cone.)

thomaswit 11-20-2021 10:06 AM

https://propulldiscgolf.com/pages/practice-poles

Rastnav 11-20-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaswit (Post 3770017)

Nice. Exactly the sort of thing I am looking for, although out of stock.

mostlynorwegian 11-20-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastnav (Post 3763999)
Iím looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I donít want a portable basket. Iím not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore itís basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod Iím going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

I typically just go with the base of a tree. If the park has bin style (plastic) garbage cans. I use those as well. Those work really nicely for creating mando points at the soccer field I throw at, and doing pitch and putt stuff.

MarkDSM 11-20-2021 09:44 PM

Quad chair is what I have used a lot. Normal to have a couple in my vehicle. Blasting a quad chair over with a Roc laser beam is satisfying.

Elegant idea: Pole/stake + inflatable pool ring.

Novelty inflatable punching bag perhaps.

Dthunderchicken 11-24-2021 12:02 PM

Bicycle flag and a sharpened piece of conduit for a base?

Dthunderchicken 11-24-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripEnemy (Post 3764053)
This thread is the first I'm hearing of either story lol. Wait...people *actually* hop out of their cars to steal discs? And *actually* steal field practice throws?

I thought it was just urban legend stuff.

Saw it happen once.

txmxer 11-24-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3764044)
In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

First Iíve heard of anything like this.

Most courses Iíve played have some amount of non-player traffic. ZBoaz, has very little of that. There is an older dude that wanders around the course and I was told heís been known to steal discs. First and only encounter, he wandered through a couple of holes during a tournament round. He wandered past the pin as we were finishing upóand yes he was in the way and a distraction. Proceeded to wander ahead of us as we were on the teebox of the next hole.

autocrosscrx 11-24-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3770915)
First Iíve heard of anything like this.

Most courses Iíve played have some amount of non-player traffic. ZBoaz, has very little of that. There is an older dude that wanders around the course and I was told heís been known to steal discs. First and only encounter, he wandered through a couple of holes during a tournament round. He wandered past the pin as we were finishing upóand yes he was in the way and a distraction. Proceeded to wander ahead of us as we were on the teebox of the next hole.

I actually saw this happen 2 weeks ago. A guy throws an MD3 and before the shot has even settled, a dude passing by hops off his bike and runs over and grabs it. What is really wild is you might think that this is something that a kid would do. It was a white haired man in a full cycling suit.

Dude chases after him and forgets the FD2 or FD3 that he threw beforehand. Then someone else grabs that up before he remembers and goes back to it.

txmxer 11-24-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3770923)
I actually saw this happen 2 weeks ago. A guy throws an MD3 and before the shot has even settled, a dude passing by hops off his bike and runs over and grabs it. What is really wild is you might think that this is something that a kid would do. It was a white haired man in a full cycling suit.

Dude chases after him and forgets the FD2 or FD3 that he threw beforehand. Then someone else grabs that up before he remembers and goes back to it.

People suck.

autocrosscrx 11-25-2021 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3771007)
People suck.

Dude came in pretty hot thinking I took his FD. But he was having a bad day, so no worries. I just don't want him thinking I have his disc. I offered to give him a quick ITB.

Flyguy46 12-06-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3764044)
In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.

Haven't had that happen but have had someone deliberately drive over my disc when I threw an OB. Dude literally turned the wheels so he could hit my disc. Well, it is going to take less time to beat it in.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.