Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Looking for midrange/approach that works at 60-80% power (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137582)

Evan27 09-17-2020 11:47 AM

Looking for midrange/approach that works at 60-80% power

Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I've been playing disc golf for many years and just recently started to seriously improve my game. This question concerns one of my weakest areas of disc golf, which is approaching from outside 50 feet to the the next distance I can reliably power down a fairway driver (for me this is champion banshee and probably would put that at approx. 120 ft give or take 10 feet or so. So for me this is about i.e. flat footed shots in the woods or behind trees trying to give myself the best chances on a putt.

I think the more glide the better in this situation (travels further on misthrow). Right now the best thing I've found is the DX shark, which has worked out okay for me, but that is usually due to luck (it doesn't go on the intended line, but still somehow gets me close enough). I switched to a g-star shark to provide more stability at higher speeds(over 80%), but it lost me some of the accuracy within my gap. I've looked at lot within innova molds and one thing I found out is my middle finger can't handle beaded rims without getting irritated.

I have no experience with other manufacturers so I wanted to get some input and also wanted to see if this was a common range that people struggle with.

xyman621 09-17-2020 12:33 PM

I struggled with that distance because I'm not too good at low power shots. Upshots shouldn't be forgotten with field work, I take a stack of putters and work that shot to warm up. Here's what I use

Sonic 75% of the time. Soft, glidey upshots. Good for any distance from long putts to 180ft. Straight or turn over. Never in strong winds.
Pig for overstability. Headwinds.
Wizard for when those two don't feel right. Stable. Baby-flexes.

elmexdela 09-17-2020 01:20 PM

why arent you throwing a putter from that range

but to answer your question try a discraft buzzz

Evan27 09-17-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3632970)
why arent you throwing a putter from that range

I have a small bag that can hold like 5 discs. I don't like throwing my putting putter for approaches and I prefer to have something that doubles for other midrange duties. I know I always could get a bigger bag, but I prefer the flexibility/ease of the smaller bag.

My other discs are:
blizzard destroyer
QOLS
Champ banshee
?????
Electron Pilot

I've found I can shoot par or close to it at many courses with this setup (pending the midrange of course)

todvan 09-17-2020 01:45 PM

I vote Buzzz also.

Evan27 09-17-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xyman621 (Post 3632951)
I struggled with that distance because I'm not too good at low power shots. Upshots shouldn't be forgotten with field work, I take a stack of putters and work that shot to warm up. Here's what I use

Sonic 75% of the time. Soft, glidey upshots. Good for any distance from long putts to 180ft. Straight or turn over. Never in strong winds.
Pig for overstability. Headwinds.
Wizard for when those two don't feel right. Stable. Baby-flexes.

As I mentioned in the other post, I am expecting the disc to cover a variety of shots in addition to the problem I listed (ideally). The other duties would be shots under 160 ft. for short holes or placement drives. Could the sonic hold that kind of power without turning over?

jakebake91 09-17-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan27 (Post 3632980)
As I mentioned in the other post, I am expecting the disc to cover a variety of shots in addition to the problem I listed (ideally). The other duties would be shots under 160 ft. for short holes or placement drives. Could the sonic hold that kind of power without turning over?

No idea about a Sonic, but I use my Ion in this way. It's not a mid, but flies nearly as far as one. I throw it basically for anything sub 250'

geo_08 09-17-2020 01:52 PM

Gateway element, glidey and straighter than the rest of your bag. It holds the line at lower powered shots. Diamond if you want more stability, platinum if you want less.

JuanA 09-17-2020 01:58 PM

One of the most versatile discs I've ever tried is a Comet.

Moose33 09-17-2020 02:36 PM

For me it’s a Swan2 but I’d you need a bit more speed and glide check out a Warship. It’s like a glider Buzzz.