Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scale and/or Wizard throwers, a question (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134308)

Blobfish 06-07-2019 08:11 AM

Scale and/or Wizard throwers, a question

I bought a Reptilian Discs Scale this week (in fossil fuel). I was very excited about this because I was looking for a glideless OS putter and the company sounded cool. I got to throw it yesterday and yep, it lives up to its hype of being pretty glideless.

That's the good.

The bad is that I can't find a comfortable grip to use with it. the rim feels even deeper (taller?) than my challenger and the bead at the bottom makes it feel almost as deep as my rattler. I was hoping to use this disc on shots like a 200' downhill shot with OB or water behind the basket, so I actually intend to "throw" it, not putt with it.
I can't get a RHBH power grip on it at all unless I pronate my wrist to the point of both forearm bones being parallel to the ground at the wrist, which is not at all how I hold my other discs... (or am I supposed to hold all of my discs that way? This is now really screwing with me haha)

When I toss my rattler or my challenger short distances RHBH, I do so with my four fingers all extended in an extreme fan grip of sorts and the rim rests on the meat of my first knuckles. It's not a comfortable throw as the rim (which is usually chewed up anyway) scrapes against my fingers. This is also why I don't like beads.

With the scale's minute thumb groove, I got my best results putting the edge of my thumb in the groove and resting the rim of the disc on my SECOND knuckle

OR

by squeezing the disc between the meat of the base of my thumb and my fingertips.

Neither of these seem to be "normal" techniques, and as the wizard is such a popular putter, I was hoping that some of you could share with me how you hold this disc to throw it backhand (not putting).

Thanks in advance!

Innova63 06-07-2019 09:07 AM

Try a serpent, basically a scale but without the bead, Similar flight.

Or try the stego.....
Very different feel and flight (or lack of glide).

BuzzzChief 06-07-2019 09:53 AM

You've got to be doing something strange with your fingers, if you need that much pronation to hold it level. I use essentially the same power grip for my distance drivers all the way down to my Wizards/Scales. It feels more or less the same.

Blobfish 06-07-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzzChief (Post 3459558)
You've got to be doing something strange with your fingers, if you need that much pronation to hold it level. I use essentially the same power grip for my distance drivers all the way down to my Wizards/Scales. It feels more or less the same.

I can hold all of my drivers and mids, as well as my zone and challenger with a regular power grip. I can't do so with a rattler at all, and like I said, the only way I can with the scale is the wonky way I explained. I have no doubt that it's popular for a reason, I just can't seem to hold it like my other discs, so I didn't know if it's just me or if wizard (or scale) throwers hold it a special way...

lines 06-07-2019 12:55 PM

Extended your middle finger out. It will take a minute to get used to it.

Blobfish 06-07-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lines (Post 3459675)
Extended your middle finger out. It will take a minute to get used to it.

middle finger tip on flight plate and the pinky and ring finger and index finger all along the rim? I'm trying that right now with a hornet I have handy. The scale's in my car :)

lines 06-07-2019 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blobfish (Post 3459688)
middle finger tip on flight plate and the pinky and ring finger and index finger all along the rim? I'm trying that right now with a hornet I have handy. The scale's in my car :)

Yes, power grip it and then extended your middle finger. Any luck?

Blobfish 06-07-2019 02:50 PM

About an hour or so I'll be able to go give it a whirl... just wanted to make sure I understood what you said. Thanks!

dreadlock86 06-07-2019 06:48 PM

i extend the middle and ring fingers, index and pinky on the rim. ring finger less extended than the middle, sometimes even touching the pinky.

Tepi 06-08-2019 07:59 AM

I never felt comfortable placing my fingers inside the rim on putters, that's why I ended up throwing them with somewhat unorthodox grip I guess.

https://imgur.com/a/MZLyvH2

Some might say it's not strong enough for throwing, but I can get my putters to 300 feet with it even thought my technique is far from good. Other advantage is that those come out of hand really clean.