Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   I drank the Kool-Aid, and and threw it up (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96011)

Midnightbiker 09-28-2013 12:55 PM

I drank the Kool-Aid, and and threw it up

All my friends are going nuts over the Vibram putters, so I bought a Ridge. Its not a bad putter, goes where you point it for the most part, but I can't seem to drive with it very well, and it doesn't have the glide that I like. I kept it in the bag for a few months, but I went back to my old Soft Magnet, and I am much happier.

nolangherity 09-28-2013 01:02 PM

vibram discs cant have glide as it is a property of plastic, and they use rubber.

turbine712 09-28-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolangherity (Post 2186755)
vibram discs cant have glide as it is a property of plastic, and they use rubber.

Then why do all the reviews I have been reading about the Unlace talk about how well it glides? Or are you just talking about rubber putters?

Midnight, I too have been bouncing between the Magnet and the Ridge. I'm taking your advice and trying the Magnet one more time. If not we will have a talk.

Hlasianguy06 09-28-2013 01:21 PM

I've always enjoyed the lack of glide, but they do beat into having more glide. One I've been throwing for 2 years is more comparable to a summit now, has a fair amount of glide. Kind of elevators down now instead of dropping when it fades.

nolangherity 09-28-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hlasianguy06 (Post 2186771)
I've always enjoyed the lack of glide, but they do beat into having more glide.

this is because when rubber deteriorates it slowly turns into plastic; such is the circle of life.

smarkquart 09-28-2013 01:46 PM

Once the top sinks in a little on the Ridge, especially the X-Link, it will develop some glide. In fact, it almost ceases being a useful putter and works better as a point and shoot upshot and short driving midrange.

Midnightbiker 09-28-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbine712 (Post 2186760)
Then why do all the reviews I have been reading about the Unlace talk about how well it glides? Or are you just talking about rubber putters?

Midnight, I too have been bouncing between the Magnet and the Ridge. I'm taking your advice and trying the Magnet one more time. If not we will have a talk.

I have had this old beat in Soft Magnet for years now, and it just works. Point and shoot, and it goes in. Has great glide, and I love it. Just can't get the feel for the Vibram. I have a Summit and a Ridge, and don't use either. I had a VP for overstable shots, and it has left the bag also, for lack of glide

BrotherDave 09-28-2013 11:27 PM

The Summit glides okay. I like the Vibram putters for the lack of glide personally. If you want a driving putter, get an IonAnodePureChallengerWizardVoodooBBAviarMagnet etc etc etc.

I putt with a Summit and drive with Ions and a Polecat. Approach game: Covered.

Edit: The Sole is shaped more like a Magnet than the other Vibram putters. Never thrown one though.

Halcón 09-29-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolangherity (Post 2186774)
this is because when rubber deteriorates it slowly turns into plastic; such is the circle of life.

I'd like a reference, please. Not saying you're wrong, but this sounds interesting, and some google searches came up empty.

Savage Henry 09-29-2013 01:18 AM

Rubber doesn't inherently lack glide. It may take longer to beat up and get glidey but that's it. I dig my vibram trio because they don't float past the pin. If you like the magnet or any of the countless beveled putters try the Sole. Its glidetastic.
And rubber doesn't just turn into plastic any faster than crude oil just turns into natural gas. Which means not in human terms. I'm sure that expired latex jimmy cap in my wallet hasn't turned into a fancy new polyurethane condom.