Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Most popular discs you never tried (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134588)

jakebake91 07-19-2019 12:12 PM

Most popular discs you never tried

Just a curiosity question for you guys, stemming from a discussion at the course the other day.

We talk all the time about all these popular molds we love and yada yada. But what are the "staples" or popular mainstream molds you have never thrown? Any reason in particular you never tried them? My list will probably shock some people (just like the guy I was talking to the other day)

My never thrown list includes:

Roc
Teebird
Destroyer

My reasons: I just fell in love with certain discs early, and also developed an issue with Innova early. Not based on the discs per se, but from a quality standpoint. Another discussion for another time.....

Jowie 07-19-2019 12:34 PM

Aviar

It took me a while to think of it, because I have tried almost all of the most popular molds, but I have never thrown one. No reason really, but now I'm motivated to give them a shot just for the experience.

rocthecourse 07-19-2019 12:42 PM

Polecat, one of these days I am going to get my hands on one.

discerdoo 07-19-2019 12:47 PM

I always have a Firebird in the bag but have never tried a Sexybird.

slowplastic 07-19-2019 01:18 PM

I think I've tried all of the classic and modern classic molds. The biggest generalization I think I can say is that with the older Innova popular/classic molds, you need to throw them already beaten in to understand why certain people love them so much. Like a Roc/Teebird/Eagle/Destroyer needs to have been bagged for a couple of years and then when you try one that is perfectly neutral but still handles all the power you have, you understand why they are so loved. Out of the box, usually not so special though unless you are lucky and know how to pick them.

Deej 07-19-2019 01:36 PM

Never thrown a Roc or Buzzz.

Dcinmd 07-19-2019 01:48 PM

Wraith and Valkyrie

R-Ogre 07-19-2019 01:52 PM

Roc, teebird. Maybe Aviar? I have an ancient Innova misprint putter that I used for years that I guess is some sort of aviar but not sure.

ChefKoolaid 07-19-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowplastic (Post 3474653)
I think I've tried all of the classic and modern classic molds. The biggest generalization I think I can say is that with the older Innova popular/classic molds, you need to throw them already beaten in to understand why certain people love them so much. Like a Roc/Teebird/Eagle/Destroyer needs to have been bagged for a couple of years and then when you try one that is perfectly neutral but still handles all the power you have, you understand why they are so loved. Out of the box, usually not so special though unless you are lucky and know how to pick them.

My knowing how to pick them is all skill, no luck involved ;)

wims 07-19-2019 02:58 PM

I have never thrown a Destroyer for some reason. Basically it's too fast for my arm

wproct 07-19-2019 03:08 PM

I have owned a ton of discs, but never owned or thrown a Roc.

aphilso1 07-19-2019 03:09 PM

I've never thrown a Buzzz, Eagle, or Firebird. Nothing against each of those molds, but I already have discs that cover what I think they do. I may get around to trying them out of pure curiosity, but not with an intention to bag them.

swhite 07-19-2019 04:59 PM

I just looked at DiscGolfCenter's current Top Seller list. There are four molds on it that I have not thrown yet: Zeus, Anax, Luna, and Raider.
The Raider looks to be a mold that could be serviceable to me, though I would just be substituting it for another mold that I am already familiar with.

All the hype for the Paul McBeth molds actually turns me off from them entirely.
People talk about fanboyism for Dynamic Discs products, but the Paul McBeth line is on a whole different level.

So, I guess I won't be bothering to try the new molds just yet.

SD86 07-19-2019 05:16 PM

Comet.

mball1684 07-19-2019 06:21 PM

Anything discmania

slowplastic 07-19-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3474739)
I just looked at DiscGolfCenter's current Top Seller list. There are four molds on it that I have not thrown yet: Zeus, Anax, Luna, and Raider.
The Raider looks to be a mold that could be serviceable to me, though I would just be substituting it for another mold that I am already familiar with.

I personally didn't consider the super hot just released discs...I was only thinking of stuff that has stayed popular for at least the last season. Lots of drivers get tons of hype as soon as they come out, but some you can tell are staying popular like the Shryke still gets lots of praise even though it isn't brand new.

swhite 07-19-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowplastic (Post 3474782)
I personally didn't consider the super hot just released discs...I was only thinking of stuff that has stayed popular for at least the last season. Lots of drivers get tons of hype as soon as they come out, but some you can tell are staying popular like the Shryke still gets lots of praise even though it isn't brand new.

I am a bit of a disc junkie, so I chose to think of this in terms of discs that are very popular right now.

Otherwise, I would be saying something like, "I've never thrown a, um, ... Discraft Wildcat." To which people will respond with, "Discraft Wildcat!? That hasn't been in production for years." To which I will apologize with, "Sorry. I was having trouble finding another one."

Orioles_Lefty 07-19-2019 09:34 PM

A Groove.

Moose33 07-19-2019 09:58 PM

I’ve tried most of them, I know it’s a modern classic but probably Ion is the only mold people rave about I haven’t at least tried. Though I’ve not tried the Sexybird but have tried like 1000 Firebirds.

dwalk77 07-19-2019 10:04 PM

I've never thrown a Comet, but I'm mighty curious about it. I throw a Buzzz so I feel like that's close enough. And I mostly play at an open course, not wooded. Maybe some day I'll pull the trigger

DiscJunkie 07-19-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwalk77 (Post 3474822)
I've never thrown a Comet, but I'm mighty curious about it. I throw a Buzzz so I feel like that's close enough. And I mostly play at an open course, not wooded. Maybe some day I'll pull the trigger

Comet is nothing like a Buzzz.
Well, they're both round and plastic...
They have very different speed requirements and flight paths.

To the OP:
Never thrown anything DD.
Never thrown MVP, but I have a few Envies.
Haven't really tried anything that's come out in the last few years.
I've come to the conclusion that I suck.
And no disc is going to fly any better for me than any other until I learn to hit a line.
Why spend money on new plastic if I can't control the plastic I already have?
:\

dwalk77 07-19-2019 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscJunkie (Post 3474845)
Comet is nothing like a Buzzz.
Well, they're both round and plastic...
They have very different speed requirements and flight paths.
:\

I don't disagree, but as a minimalist, if I'm going to take one mid on an open, windy course, it's going to be a Buzzz over a Comet.

elmexdela 07-20-2019 12:15 AM

whats the difference between sexybird and firebird

DiscJunkie 07-20-2019 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3474861)
whats the difference between sexybird and firebird

What I have been told is that the Sexton Tour Series Firebird (SexyBird) was molded for increased glide.

wolfhaley 07-20-2019 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocthecourse (Post 3474635)
Polecat, one of these days I am going to get my hands on one.

Oh the good old rollcat...I mean polecat. I got a nice lime green dx one just calling your name in the other room. You'll absolutely love it like I did for some reason years ago:doh:

wolfhaley 07-20-2019 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty (Post 3474816)
A Groove.

Well played sir. I was going to say the same thing. But honestly I've somehow never thrown a yao phoenix. Only the Hu phoenix. I know, I know everyone's throw the Yao. I'm behind the times.

Moose33 07-20-2019 08:47 AM

I actually like the Yao... and if you ever did want to try it the Phoenix is the better plastic for its flight. Dragon molds up too domey...

elmexdela 07-20-2019 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscJunkie (Post 3474878)
What I have been told is that the Sexton Tour Series Firebird (SexyBird) was molded for increased glide.

wouldnt that be a star firebird then just with a cool name and in champ plastic :confused:

Suspect 07-20-2019 09:45 AM

Buzzz

perklc 07-20-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3474812)
I am a bit of a disc junkie, so I chose to think of this in terms of discs that are very popular right now.

Otherwise, I would be saying something like, "I've never thrown a, um, ... Discraft Wildcat." To which people will respond with, "Discraft Wildcat!? That hasn't been in production for years." To which I will apologize with, "Sorry. I was having trouble finding another one."

You're in luck! The Wildcat is one of the 3 Discraft Ace Race discs this year :D

swhite 07-20-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perklc (Post 3474918)
You're in luck! The Wildcat is one of the 3 Discraft Ace Race discs this year :D

:thmbup:

I look forward to trying all three of the Ace Race Classics that are coming out this year. I've thrown the Hawk in Pro D, but want to try it in premium plastic. The Wildcat and Eclipse will both be first timers for me.

It would be cool if Discraft and Innova each put out a bunch of retro molds for newer players to try.

filobedo 07-20-2019 10:14 AM

Never thrown any disc with a DD stamp.

Central Scrutinizer 07-20-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3474921)
:thmbup:

It would be cool if Discraft and Innova each put out a bunch of retro molds for newer players to try.

I've been saying for years Innova should put out a Champion Ram. The ones I threw 20 years ago were very overstable until you hit about 4 or 5 trees. I'd guess you could chop down a tree with a Champion Ram and it would still fly the same.

They did the Barracuda in Champ plastic a few years ago. Why not do the Ram?

Pymm 07-20-2019 12:32 PM

Never thrown a Teebird, Firebird, or a Zone or any Discmania or Prodigy stuff, except for the FD, which I throw all all the time.

Bardu 07-20-2019 12:38 PM

Cloudbreaker

GoobyPls 07-20-2019 02:17 PM

Zone. I tried Harps first and love them. No real need for competition in that slot, really

slowplastic 07-20-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3474904)
wouldnt that be a star firebird then just with a cool name and in champ plastic :confused:

They feel really gummy and they are generally pretty flat, but without the FAF stability. Basically they feel incredible and have that mellower Firebird flight. I don't disagree that it's similar to star Firebirds in flight but generally you need to go with a domier one in those cases. I think you can go to an FD3 or a more stable Felon too for a similar slot without the price if you're not picky.

Emoney 07-20-2019 04:50 PM

Destroyer or Firebird

wolfmandragon 07-20-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwalk77 (Post 3474822)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwalk77 (Post 3474858)
I don't disagree, but as a minimalist, if I'm going to take one mid on an open, windy course, it's going to be a Buzzz over a Comet.

You have never thrown a Comet but you already have an opinion about why you won't throw one.

Heavy Comets can be wonderful tailwind discs. If thrown clean and flat, headwinds are not an issue either. Exposing the bottom of the disc to a cross wind.... yeah, that will send it OB, that's the big danger of mixing Comets and wind.

As for a popular discs I have never thrown, other than recent Trilogy molds, the Boss is all I can think of.

R-Ogre 07-20-2019 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfmandragon (Post 3474981)
You have never thrown a Comet but you already have an opinion about why you won't throw one.

Heavy Comets can be wonderful tailwind discs. If thrown clean and flat, headwinds are not an issue either. Exposing the bottom of the disc to a cross wind.... yeah, that will send it OB, that's the big danger of mixing Comets and wind.

As for a popular discs I have never thrown, other than recent Trilogy molds, the Boss is all I can think of.

Comet in field practice with a headwind can make for some completely impractical, but still fun and absurd hyzer flips.