Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am Payouts stifle pro growth? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134052)

F.Luke 05-06-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riltim (Post 3448442)
From a consumer perspective if the TD is charging me $40 and giving $10 to the Open payout he could have just charged me $30 and added nothing. I don't gain anything from my extra $10 going to the open field.

Do you think the TD should make a profit off of the wholesale to retail mark up? I do.

What the TD chooses to do with it is their prerogative.

biscoe 05-06-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

From a consumer perspective if the TD is charging me $40 and giving $10 to the Open payout he could have just charged me $30 and added nothing. I don't gain anything from my extra $10 going to the open field.

When you go to McDonald's do you dissect the price point on the cheeseburger by ingredient or do you simply decide if the whole thing is worth the money?

IMO the question amateur players need to ask themselves is whether the entirety of the playing experience plus the trinkets is worth the money they are paying- not what the TD does with some part of the money. If playing in an organized event on courses prepared for it holds no value for players then this game is truly f*cked in the long run. Entry fees are pretty reasonable in my area based on what i read on here so I don't really hear a lot of the sentiment that the Ams feel ripped off.

riltim 05-06-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.Luke (Post 3448449)
Do you think the TD should make a profit off of the wholesale to retail mark up? I do.

What the TD chooses to do with it is their prerogative.

It's also my prerogative to not pay an extra $10 knowing it will go to the pros.

F.Luke 05-06-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riltim (Post 3448454)
It's also my prerogative to not pay an extra $10 knowing it will go to the pros.

You can choose to not play the tournament. You canít choose to pay less than the entry fee.

Again: Should the TD be allowed to make a profit?

CaptainAnhyzer 05-06-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC17393 (Post 3448428)
Using the retail profit on am prizes and player pack items as added cash in the pro division is not padding the pro purse with am entry fees. It's padding the pro purse with club/vendor/TD profits. There is ZERO reason for the PDGA to ban this practice.

Agreed. I should've been more specific with my description.

riltim 05-06-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3448453)
When you go to McDonald's do you dissect the price point on the cheeseburger by ingredient or do you simply decide if the whole thing is worth the money?

IMO the question amateur players need to ask themselves is whether the entirety of the playing experience plus the trinkets is worth the money they are paying- not what the TD does with some part of the money. If playing in an organized event on courses prepared for it holds no value for players then this game is truly f*cked in the long run. Entry fees are pretty reasonable in my area based on what i read on here so I don't really hear a lot of the sentiment that the Ams feel ripped off.

Would you go to McDonald's if you knew they were charging you extra for a #1 so they could give a select group of others who bought a #1 a free Big Mac?

Ams and pros both get a similar experience if it's the same layout at the same course.

CaptainAnhyzer 05-06-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.Luke (Post 3448459)

As long as he/she is transparent about it.

biscoe 05-06-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riltim (Post 3448464)
Would you go to McDonald's if you knew they were charging you extra for a #1 so they could give a select group of others who bought a #1 a free Big Mac?

Ams and pros both get a similar experience if it's the same layout at the same course.

My only concern is "do i get my money's worth from the $1.49 (or whatever) this cheeseburger costs me?"

Are you citing TD's using the difference between retail and wholesale price points as added cash for pro purses as some of "your" money going to the pros? If so my position is that that money is the organizers to do with as they see fit at that point whether that be to add it to the pro purse, pocket it, or buy everybody a yummy cheeseburger.

JC17393 05-06-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

No, from a consumer perspective, you're giving the TD $40 and he's giving you $40 worth of merchandise and services (player pack, prizes, trophies, a tournament experience). End of transaction.

Did you get a player pack? Were there prizes paid out? Did the value of those things add up to the total entry fees paid to your division? If the answer to each of those questions is yes, then what the TD does with the money he receives from you is none of your concern.

Would you feel better or worse about it if instead of adding "your" $10 to the pro purse, he used it to take his family out to a nice dinner after the tournament?

riltim 05-06-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.Luke (Post 3448459)

Profit is what you bring home at the end of the day, not what you shuffle around. If the TD were including the tournament profits as income on their taxes would they declare the added cash to open as profit?