Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Move to lower glide discs in winter? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135368)

Tinkles 11-15-2019 10:56 AM

Move to lower glide discs in winter?

I was thinking about how the denser air creates more lift and drag on a disc and whether I should look at using something with less glide than my FDs and Wraiths in winter. Maybe replacing Wraiths with Orcs for example.

Does anyone change their bag for winter vs summer?

ejvogie 11-15-2019 11:16 AM

I'm no physicist, but it seems like you'd want MORE glide to fight the increased drag...

Jay Dub 11-15-2019 11:25 AM

I change out some discs for winter play but that's due to plastic type. Old classic DX discs gets put away and replaced. CE Spider stays inside during the winter but never because of glide.

I agree with ejvogie, I would think you'd want more glide.

Tinkles 11-15-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3519606)
I'm no physicist, but it seems like you'd want MORE glide to fight the increased drag...

Also not a physicist, but my thought was that higher glide = (generally) higher drag so in cold weather, a 4 glide disc might fly closer to a warm weather 6 glide disc. I was thinking that throwing a higher glide disc in denser air would make the disc slower and more nose angle sensitive. To cut through the denser air and get similar flight to warm weather, you would want a lower glide disc, no?

Monkeypaws 11-15-2019 11:38 AM

I change up my bag, but for me it's all about grip in cold weather - out with the Champion/Opto, in with the Pro and baseline. I also go lighter because the footing tends to stink: lots of standstill throws. I agree with the others that more glide is probably welcome in such conditions.

biscoe 11-15-2019 11:40 AM

Discs will behave as if they are more overstable in colder weather. Also- flight numbers are uncalibrated nonsense.

ejvogie 11-15-2019 11:59 AM

Perhaps my understanding is flawed, but I'd put drag and glide on the opposite ends of the spectrum

ru4por 11-15-2019 01:33 PM

I don't know about glide, and honestly don't think any difference is appreciable enough to warrant much consideration. I would want more glide and less stability because of the impact of reduced run up and decreased mobility from increased clothing.

ThrowBot 11-15-2019 01:49 PM

If you REALLY care about the physics of it, going from hot to cold air (in terms of air density, and how that affects disc flight) is the same as going from high elevation to sea level. If you go from 100F to -20F, that's equivalent to moving from 2000' of elevation down to sea level.

In that perspective, temperature effects on air density are pretty negligible. 100F to -20F is a HUGE swing, whereas 2000' of elevation...heck, I've played disc golf holes that vary by hundreds of feet of elevation just going from tee to basket!

I agree with those who say that grip is more important in cold weather!

F. Howl 11-15-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3519616)
Discs will behave as if they are more overstable in colder weather. Also- flight numbers are uncalibrated nonsense.

Really? My understanding is that discs are more overstable in hot weather (hot air has less density, sinse heat causes molecules to move faster and further apart). So discs behave understable in cold weather.

I think Throw, has it right.