Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

muptonfish 05-15-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3586939)

The obvious answer is to protect the non-believers ;)

BogeyNoMore 05-15-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3586956)

Now that's some highbrow humor, right there.

Emoney 05-15-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3586799)
Look I'm not bitching haha. Well OK I am... maybe?

So I used Imgur to host that "Phase 1 be cautious " meme so I could share it with you. So far 3 likes, thank you very much boys.... It went viral on Imgur!! No longer do I have to worry whether my disc pics are a plus or minus haha. 1800+'s in 5hrs

I couldn't figure out why my phone has been pinging all day...

Im old and have no idea what language this is.

disco40 05-15-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3586713)
However, if someone is working in that store for 10 hours, their length of time exposed is so much greater that the risk is magnified.

Man, and to restate what should be obvious, during those 10 hour shifts we're wearing that mask so our *customers* don't get sick, and many aren't returning the favor. Way of the world.

But it's also a strange new way for us to behave. All our lives, being symptomatic was what kick-started our empathy. If I'm feeling sick, I then care enough about people that I don't want them to get sick...that's turned on its ear now with so much asymptomatic spread, so it's a difficult adjustment.

DG_player 05-15-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3586610)
That illustrates a problem with re-opening disc golf, and re-opening almost everything else.

Things that should be able to be done safely, or at least safely enough to justify their re-opening, depend on people actually doing them safely. I wish I could be more optimistic that they will.

I went to Walmart for the first time in 2 months, and a big banner proclaimed that their employees were wearing masks (and implored customers to do so). Well, you can imagine the customers. But the employees were wearing them correctly.....and wearing them over the mouth only.....and wearing them around their neck....and not at all.

Restaurants here opened with strict limitations on capacity and seating separation, but people mobbed shoulder-to-shoulder outside them.

Where I live I've seen extremely high mask compliance. The only place I've seen it lax is in small mom and pop stores, and only a few. Our major grocery and gas chains have security guards who will literally throw you out if you're not wearing one (I believe they made the national news for it). It probably helps that the governor made it mandatory for businesses, so companies have much more cover to enforce it on their employees and patrons. More importantly, if you're an employee who feels unsafe because you're business is not in compliance, you can demand they comply and have reasonable protections against any retaliation.

Sadly the ironic thing is, we could probably actually re-open a lot of the economy if we had high mask compliance, yet the ones least likely to comply are the ones rushing to re-open.

Hampstead 05-15-2020 10:37 PM

Bars were allowed to reopen with patio seating only today. As you can expect, several videos are circulating of bars with packed patios. In at least one instance, police were called to shut the place down. So, no, not everyone is taking this seriously.

Broken Shoulder 05-15-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3587173)
Bars were allowed to reopen with patio seating only today. As you can expect, several videos are circulating of bars with packed patios. In at least one instance, police were called to shut the place down. So, no, not everyone is taking this seriously.

Dum dum Minnesotans flocked to Wisconsin yesterday and packed their bars.
Crimony.

"We have to shelter in place for a little while to protect each other and prepare the healthcare system."

"Wah, it's too hard, we give up."

ThrowBot 05-15-2020 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3587173)

Yeah, I was driving today and saw parking lots PACKED at big box stores. They should really be regulating occupancy. I can't imagine it's safe in a store like that when the parking lot is so full.

But, retailers are desperate to get revenues up. Their most immediate financial incentive is to allow as many people in as possible. So they'll do that unless legally mandated otherwise. I know that restaurants here are regulated to cut their previous occupancy allowances by half. I'd think in a large retail environment where people are constantly moving around, 1/3 or 1/4 would be better.

A few weeks back, most of the people that I saw were being pretty smart about distancing and sanitation. I thought that a gradual reopen would be safe, because people are acting smarter, and new cases in my area have been on the decline. But now seeing folks crammed into large stores, I worry that I may have given my fellow citizens too much credit.

disco40 05-15-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowBot (Post 3587189)
Yeah, I was driving today and saw parking lots PACKED at big box stores.

We're doing Thanksgiving-Christmas season numbers some days (big box in a suburban area with medium-strength measures), and we've been beating sales goals ever since this started.

Quote:

They should really be regulating occupancy
There is technically a limit in place everywhere I'm aware of, but it would be really hard to reach it. 125-150 (including employees) seems about right for something like a department store/grocer combo or home/garden superstore, speaking just out of concern for everyone's health. The actual numbers used by retailers...at least double that lol.

The cash grab is real. Several places are even cutting back hours and working their people to the nubs for an extra couple bucks (despite sales being high enough to support waaay more staff), reasoning that customers will tolerate diminished service quality, which is really short-sighted imo, but that's what do.

BogeyNoMore 05-16-2020 08:04 AM

My mom's been in a nursing home in Miami for about 10 months. She was tested Fri the 8th, and was found to be positive, but asymptomatic.

She was still asymptomatic and feeling fine when I spoke to her Wed the 13th, but developed symptoms Thu the 14th.

She sounded quite congested (but not horrible) when I spoke to her yesterday. But I kept the conversation short, because I felt guilty even making her talk.

She's 89. I'm trying not to freak out and maintain my sanity, but I really hope she's strong enough to get through this.