Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

McCready 08-04-2020 03:23 PM

What angers me most about schools reopening — the rationale is to get back to “normal” so parents can go back to work and the economy will rebound, thus giving Trump a chance in November. But we know what’s really going to happen — September & October are going to feel like the apocalypse. The strain on the healthcare system is not anything we can even comprehend right now. If hospitals are already struggling to keep up, what’s going to happen when the volume of patients doubles, triples, or worse? And every dead teacher is going to become a meme to illustrate the utter failure to listen to expertise and common sense. And face it, kids will die too. The vast majority will be fine, but given a big enough sample size, it’s inevitable. Dead kids, and many with serious ongoing heart & lung issues, perhaps permanent. Think of the narrative in the media then — “Tommy was a straight-A student with dreams of playing football at Ohio State. Until his school reopened and he got sick...”. So politically, it’s going to backfire spectacularly. We are on track for a million deaths and probably more, most of them avoidable, all for nothing. This is going to be remembered as something akin to genocide. A callous and stupid campaign of misinformation and hubris that killed a ridiculous number of people to save a failing economy and president.

muptonfish 08-04-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3614940)
What angers me most about schools reopening — the rationale is to get back to “normal” so parents can go back to work and the economy will rebound, thus giving Trump a chance in November. But we know what’s really going to happen — September & October are going to feel like the apocalypse. The strain on the healthcare system is not anything we can even comprehend right now. If hospitals are already struggling to keep up, what’s going to happen when the volume of patients doubles, triples, or worse? And every dead teacher is going to become a meme to illustrate the utter failure to listen to expertise and common sense. And face it, kids will die too. The vast majority will be fine, but given a big enough sample size, it’s inevitable. Dead kids, and many with serious ongoing heart & lung issues, perhaps permanent. Think of the narrative in the media then — “Tommy was a straight-A student with dreams of playing football at Ohio State. Until his school reopened and he got sick...”. So politically, it’s going to backfire spectacularly. We are on track for a million deaths and probably more, most of them avoidable, all for nothing. This is going to be remembered as something akin to genocide. A callous and stupid campaign of misinformation and hubris that killed a ridiculous number of people to save a failing economy and president.

I'll mark you down as voting Republican for polling purposes

DavidSauls 08-04-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3614940)
What angers me most about schools reopening — the rationale is to get back to “normal” so parents can go back to work and the economy will rebound, thus giving Trump a chance in November. But we know what’s really going to happen — September & October are going to feel like the apocalypse. The strain on the healthcare system is not anything we can even comprehend right now. If hospitals are already struggling to keep up, what’s going to happen when the volume of patients doubles, triples, or worse? And every dead teacher is going to become a meme to illustrate the utter failure to listen to expertise and common sense. And face it, kids will die too. The vast majority will be fine, but given a big enough sample size, it’s inevitable. Dead kids, and many with serious ongoing heart & lung issues, perhaps permanent. Think of the narrative in the media then — “Tommy was a straight-A student with dreams of playing football at Ohio State. Until his school reopened and he got sick...”. So politically, it’s going to backfire spectacularly. We are on track for a million deaths and probably more, most of them avoidable, all for nothing. This is going to be remembered as something akin to genocide. A callous and stupid campaign of misinformation and hubris that killed a ridiculous number of people to save a failing economy and president.

Here on the ground, it's not that simple. Parents and local officials are in turmoil, trying to figure out what's best to do---or, what's least worst. Online schooling is a poor substitute, and no schooling at all is horrible. But going back to school is horrible, too. Schools in my county are offering an option (1) complete online learning or (2) a hybrid, 2 days in person, 3 days online (which allows the school to be half-full, or less). And parents are anguishing over the choice.

On the local level, there aren't a lot of people saying "We have to start schools to open the economy" or "because Trump". Nor are there any people saying "let's keep schools closed to defeat Trump." The politics really is local.

My wager is that we won't have that October apocalypse, only because we won't get that far. That it'll look something like major league baseball---a start, a positive test, a group quarantined, another, another, and a surrender to online learning, as best it can be done.

brutalbrutus 08-04-2020 04:28 PM

https://www.dgpt.com/announcements/d...lation-system/

Quote:

Level of Disciplinary Action

When an infraction occurs, the following disciplinary action system will be triggered. There are four levels of severity for discipline. Anyone on the event site may report infractions to a DGPT official. The DGPT will then investigate the infraction before assessing official discipline. Disciplinary action can apply to actions taken off of the event site, particularly related to Travel Policies. All disciplinary action details are confidential and kept between the DGPT and the offending person, other than announcements and basic information regarding disqualifications and/or suspensions from the DGPT or its events.

Verbal Warning: A verbal warning is issued during any level of infraction, unless a strong level of discipline is issued. Verbal warnings are documented by the DGPT and may build to a written warning, disqualification or suspension when accumulated. A verbal warning is most generally associated with a Grade 1 or 2 infraction.

Written Warning: A written warning is issued when Grade 1 infractions accumulate (displaying no change in behavior) or a Grade 2 or 3 infractions are assessed.

Disqualification from Event: Any person who is disqualified from an event, competitor or otherwise, will be asked to leave the event site immediately, or will be disallowed from entering the event site, for the duration of the event. Disqualification is issued when written warnings accumulate, or if a Grade 3 infraction occurs that the DGPT decides warrants immediate disqualification.

Suspension from Tour: After a person has been disqualified from an event, any further infractions may result in Suspension from the Disc Golf Pro Tour and all associated events. Past performance will not be affected. Suspensions may range from one event to several to the remainder of the season. Suspensions may stretch into the 2021 season.

jakebake91 08-04-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3614960)
Here on the ground, it's not that simple. Parents and local officials are in turmoil, trying to figure out what's best to do---or, what's least worst. Online schooling is a poor substitute, and no schooling at all is horrible. But going back to school is horrible, too. Schools in my county are offering an option (1) complete online learning or (2) a hybrid, 2 days in person, 3 days online (which allows the school to be half-full, or less). And parents are anguishing over the choice.

On the local level, there aren't a lot of people saying "We have to start schools to open the economy" or "because Trump". Nor are there any people saying "let's keep schools closed to defeat Trump." The politics really is local.

My wager is that we won't have that October apocalypse, only because we won't get that far. That it'll look something like major league baseball---a start, a positive test, a group quarantined, another, another, and a surrender to online learning, as best it can be done.

My son starts kindergarten on September 1st. They are offering full time 5 day schedules, and some sort of tele/hybrid thing. As much as it terrifies me to send him, as a working adult, it's my only real choice. My wife and I both work long hours during the week, and we have a toddler at home as well. By the time they are picked up from daycare, I have time to make supper, get the kids cleaned up, and it's basically bedtime. We might have 30 minutes a night? What kind of education can I provide him at home in that time? Are we supposed to spend all weekend doing school work? And his stuff is easy. It's kindergarten. But it is stuff he needs.

If they choose to shut down the schools, his education will suffer greatly. Don't get me wrong. I love my son. I'd move mountains for that kid. I'd make it work one way or another. But there just isn't enough hours in the week to get the job done right.

I feel like we are all caught between a rock and a hard place. It just sucks.


So. People. Be freaking responsible. Quit @#$&ing and wear a mask. It's the LEAST you can try to do to help. Even if you don't agree, suck it up. Do your part.

JuanA 08-04-2020 04:37 PM

I live alone and have no kids...I can't even imagine what some of you are going through as schools start opening for the year.

DavidSauls 08-04-2020 05:13 PM

I don't have kids, either, but my brother and sister have homes on the same land, and 4 kids between them. So I get to watch the anguish. And worry what the kids might bring home to their 61-year-old uncle.

Interestingly, our governor decreed that schools offer 5-day schooling as an option, and was completely ignored by most school districts in the state.

McCready 08-04-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3614960)
Here on the ground, it's not that simple. Parents and local officials are in turmoil, trying to figure out what's best to do---or, what's least worst. Online schooling is a poor substitute, and no schooling at all is horrible. But going back to school is horrible, too. Schools in my county are offering an option (1) complete online learning or (2) a hybrid, 2 days in person, 3 days online (which allows the school to be half-full, or less). And parents are anguishing over the choice.

On the local level, there aren't a lot of people saying "We have to start schools to open the economy" or "because Trump". Nor are there any people saying "let's keep schools closed to defeat Trump." The politics really is local.

My wager is that we won't have that October apocalypse, only because we won't get that far. That it'll look something like major league baseball---a start, a positive test, a group quarantined, another, another, and a surrender to online learning, as best it can be done.

In our area the debate looks pretty well defined along political lines, which is typical of every aspect of the pandemic. One side looks to science and expertise for guidance, the other side spouts nonsense like “faith not fear”.

Completely agree that online learning is less than ideal. The alternative is to pretend that in-person learning can be made safe whatsoever when we all understand kids are not going to practice social distancing or keep a mask on all day. Parents and schools can try to concoct all kinds of screwball policies to create an appearance of safety, but tests are going to keep coming back positive. Everyone knows it, so let’s just stop the charade.

A second grader in a neighboring county just tested positive, so that class is closed for two weeks. It’s day two for that school.

McCready 08-04-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3614989)
A second grader in a neighboring county just tested positive, so that class is closed for two weeks. It’s day two for that school.

Also that kid tested positive last Thursday. Parents sent the kid to school anyway.

LateWesternSky 08-04-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3614967)
If they choose to shut down the schools, his education will suffer greatly. Don't get me wrong. I love my son. I'd move mountains for that kid. I'd make it work one way or another. But there just isn't enough hours in the week to get the job done right.

I am by no means a child development expert, but I don't think most kids education would suffer greatly if they missed of year of school as long as they could make it up later. Especially if they have a dedicated parent like you seem to be.

I guess I can only speak for myself, but I don't feel like my brain would have developed much differently if I graduated at 19 instead of 18.

Obviously there is still the issue of how to manage a job while having your kid home all day, but I'm only talking about the education piece. And every kid/situation is different, so clearly this wouldn't work for everyone.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.