Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Jay Dub 10-06-2020 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3640474)
That's the part I don't get. The restrictions were originally sold as needed to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. It's pretty clear now that the system is in pretty good shape across the U.S. So with that no longer being an issue, why do you care so much about what your fellow man does? If you can go into a grocery store, drug store, etc. and be safe, why do you care so much if the guy down the street wants to go to the gym or a restaurant? I understand the concern early on, but at this point, it's become pretty clear that necessary activities can be done with very little risk. So why impose excess restrictions on people who aren't that concerned? It just feels very ideological and not based on reason to me at this point. It's like people are mad that in choosing to be safe, they're being excluded from all these things, so they want to restrict the people who don't care from doing them as well.

Compound interest. If you understand why CI is such a good thing then you should understand why more people out and about = more infected is a bad thing.

If that makes no sense think of a snow ball rolling down a hill getting bigger and bigger. The bigger it gets the faster it gets bigger.

DG_player 10-06-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzzChief (Post 3640475)
Not really sure where you're getting this from. The trajectories of states have been wildly different.

You're right, I meant results. Trajectories have been vastly different depending on when and how steps were taken, but the end results end up being similar. About the only place the results seem vastly different is that states that were hit later learned from the early states and were able to be more proactive about keeping it out of their long term care facilities.

DG_player 10-06-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3640478)
To the bolded section, I think it was clear at the time those states made policy changes, which were following the scientific consensus at the time and which were flying in the face of it. I hear you that we haven't seen the effects in the southern states that many of us were expecting. I don't think that's relevant though if the question is "who was following the science". They didn't have a crystal ball when the decisions were made to open things up. At the time, the scientific consensus was that it was a terrible idea. There was guidance regarding where the numbers had to be to reopen safely and none of those states qualified.

I tend to agree with your final paragraph. Surface transmission doesn't seem to be a significant risk. Wearing masks and not packing a ton of people together seems to be the best defense.

It's still very early yet though. Much of what we think we know could still be proven wrong. We all want to be able to evaluate everything in real time, but sometimes we need to accept that we won't have all of our questions answered before we need to make a decision. You make the best choice you can with the information that you have. I don't think I could say the governors of Florida and Georgia did that. Just because something works out ok, doesn't mean it was a smart decision.

I'm not so much criticizing the initial reactions of Wolf and Whitmer, I definitely agreed with them at the time, but more so the idealogical trenches they seem to have dug. Not just them but both sides. It's like we're all in for severe restrictions, or we can't have any restrictions at all, not even a mask in essential business mandate. When in actuality the best course of action is probably somewhere in the middle.

DG_player 10-06-2020 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3640480)
Compound interest. If you understand why CI is such a good thing then you should understand why more people out and about = more infected is a bad thing.

If that makes no sense think of a snow ball rolling down a hill getting bigger and bigger. The bigger it gets the faster it gets bigger.

Whatever analogies you want to come up with for exponential growth it's not happening. The snowball keeps getting smaller. The only states where cases are going up are the middle of nowhere rural western states who by virtue of being in the middle of nowhere and rural, dodged the initial wave.

Jay Dub 10-06-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3640489)
Whatever analogies you want to come up with for exponential growth it's not happening. The snowball keeps getting smaller. The only states where cases are going up are the middle of nowhere rural western states who by virtue of being in the middle of nowhere and rural, dodged the initial wave.

I explained/answered your question as to why it matters to others what the people down the street do. I am not going to debate data.

DavidSauls 10-06-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3640450)
Yes, my focus is on limiting indoor gatherings, distancing, and masks. Limiting indoor gatherings is tough when younger son has moved home and spousal unit is an extreme extrovert who has been working from home for months. ;)

And I worry less about surface contact, but still keep hand sanitizer in the car. Cuz why not?

I was thinking, specifically, about disc golf, and more specifically, about disc golf tournaments. I've got two to TD in the next 5 weeks.

Perhaps cautions about disc prizes and water coolers are less urgent. Less worry about scorecards.

On the other hand, I run the event from my house (on a private course), and it'll definitely be a "staff only" place this year. Including my porch. Everyone outside, no player's meeting.

Dcinmd 10-06-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Do yourself a favor and read up on the 1918 pandemic.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

ru4por 10-06-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3640474)
That's the part I don't get. The restrictions were originally sold as needed to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. It's pretty clear now that the system is in pretty good shape across the U.S. So with that no longer being an issue, why do you care so much about what your fellow man does? If you can go into a grocery store, drug store, etc. and be safe, why do you care so much if the guy down the street wants to go to the gym or a restaurant? I understand the concern early on, but at this point, it's become pretty clear that necessary activities can be done with very little risk. So why impose excess restrictions on people who aren't that concerned? It just feels very ideological and not based on reason to me at this point. It's like people are mad that in choosing to be safe, they're being excluded from all these things, so they want to restrict the people who don't care from doing them as well.

It is not about what other people do, as whom they hurt. Seatbelts, stopsigns, gun restrictions....these have to be in place, only because far too many people are stupid and have no concern for how their actions impact others. Liberties and freedoms end where someone else's begin.

If someone could go to the gym and the risk to others, be none....I don't care.

Monocacy 10-06-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3640500)
I was thinking, specifically, about disc golf, and more specifically, about disc golf tournaments. I've got two to TD in the next 5 weeks.

Perhaps cautions about disc prizes and water coolers are less urgent. Less worry about scorecards.

On the other hand, I run the event from my house (on a private course), and it'll definitely be a "staff only" place this year. Including my porch. Everyone outside, no player's meeting.

I have not been to a tournament (or even casual league) since this started. But I don't play many tournaments anyway. I know that local TDs have done virtual players meetings, digital scorecards, etc. Not sure how they handled prizes.

As you said, coolers should be relatively low risk. Especially with a bottle of hand sanitizer nearby.

I will be interested to hear how you handle things, and whether it works out as expected.

DanJon 10-06-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

This isn't true at all.