Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

brutalbrutus 04-08-2020 11:49 PM

I wonder what would happen to the economy if most if not all the major cites that haven't been hit hard yet all started flaring up at once...

We are a long ways off from having enough people recovered to have a herd immunity.

Jugular 04-09-2020 04:19 AM

How many calories over the recommended amount do Americans eat on average? You're not coming close to starving. To say nothing of the farmers elsewhere who won't be taking any notice of Covid-19 risk to ensure they still get their meagre harvest in to stay just ahead of subsistence. 2-4% of those farmers die? Not an issue for your poptart supply.

Smigles 04-09-2020 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3572713)
Yessir...If you make 30k a year you are among the top 1% of global earners.

Wtf

Avgerage salary here in switzerland across the entire population (including all the minimal wage earners) is 75k a year.

anyway, about the whole when will the measures be reduced topic:

We have so far seen two stages of the pandemic.

Stage one was when we had little infected people. Gov tracked every infection, traced all contacts down, isolated the people with contact to infected people and tried to stay on top of infections. This is possible until the number of infected people overwhelms your administration.
Stage two is when you have too many infected. That's where the general isolation measures are introduced that we have now over most of the world.

Ideally you stay in stage two till you reduce your numbers of infected so much that you can go back to stage one. You stay in stage one till the entire population is immune. There is no way around it. Stage one is just a bit friendlier on the economy. But the virus is not gone, we will all have to keep social distancing and staying at home no matter what.

If you come out of stage two too early or if you dont test and track enugh once you get back to stage one, you will have a next wave of infections and a new spike.

Now of course with your muppet of a president we have no idea wether he will listen to the experts or not. At least he got off his plan to open the country again by easter. But who knows what he will come up with next...

DavidSauls 04-09-2020 06:41 AM

It makes me proud to know that the disc golf community isn't just full of medical experts, but economic experts as well. So I'll avail myself of the latter and ask:

Were we to do nothing and let the virus proceed unchecked through our and the world population, would the economy be immune to its effects?

Smigles 04-09-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3572747)

Were we to do nothing and let the virus proceed unchecked through our and the world population, would the economy be immune to its effects?

Hey, unemployment rate will go way down if 10% of the population die. Nobody will be jobless afterwards. Maybe that would be good for the economy :D

rjnoodlearm 04-09-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smigles (Post 3572740)
Wtf

Avgerage salary here in switzerland across the entire population (including all the minimal wage earners) is 75k a year.

anyway, about the whole when will the measures be reduced topic:

We have so far seen two stages of the pandemic.

Stage one was when we had little infected people. Gov tracked every infection, traced all contacts down, isolated the people with contact to infected people and tried to stay on top of infections. This is possible until the number of infected people overwhelms your administration.
Stage two is when you have too many infected. That's where the general isolation measures are introduced that we have now over most of the world.

Ideally you stay in stage two till you reduce your numbers of infected so much that you can go back to stage one. You stay in stage one till the entire population is immune. There is no way around it. Stage one is just a bit friendlier on the economy. But the virus is not gone, we will all have to keep social distancing and staying at home no matter what.

If you come out of stage two too early or if you dont test and track enugh once you get back to stage one, you will have a next wave of infections and a new spike.

Now of course with your muppet of a president we have no idea wether he will listen to the experts or not. At least he got off his plan to open the country again by easter. But who knows what he will come up with next...

The fact is you don't know and no one else knows what will/would/ happen under various scenarios. Its all a guessing game and the "experts" merely have slightly more informed guesses than the average rock.

davetherocketguy 04-09-2020 09:07 AM

Here's to sitting around in your house for the rest of 2020.

rjnoodlearm 04-09-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3572706)
I will gladly exchange economic hardship for 10 or thousands of lives.

I am not sure how focus on saving lives, qualifies me as "people like you". I hope there are a LOT more people like me, that want to save lives.

We all want to "save lives" but at what cost? Society makes decisions routinely that trade off "saving lives" with economic activity and freedom. Put governors on all motorized vehicles to limit them to a top speed of 25 MPH and you will save thousands of lives each year. Outlaw alcohol and you will save thousands more (because we did that once and there were no unintended consequences).

Ten lives? Really? Yes, let's wreck the national economy to save ten lives. Brilliant.

Emoney 04-09-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm (Post 3572775)
We all want to "save lives" but at what cost? Society makes decisions routinely that trade off "saving lives" with economic activity and freedom. Put governors on all motorized vehicles to limit them to a top speed of 25 MPH and you will save thousands of lives each year. Outlaw alcohol and you will save thousands more (because we did that once and there were no unintended consequences).

Ten lives? Really? Yes, let's wreck the national economy to save ten lives. Brilliant.

All these comments from people acting like they or their family arent part of the "possible" lives lost.

zontar 04-09-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm (Post 3572775)

I'm all for putting governors on vehicles so they go 25mph. especially MY governor...