Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Countchunkula 04-09-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3572711)
Probably best to learn some new recipes. Folks from the Depression are laughing at our weakness.

No doubt. The post war generations of Americans haven't had to deal with something like this. I was talking with a coworker about this a few weeks back. She grew up in Poland in the eighties and has vivid memories of taking turns waiting in multiday breadlines with her siblings. That experience has given her perspective on our current situation that many of us lack.

For my generation growing up in America (I'm 40 for reference), we haven't ever experienced mass hardship to this degree. Sure the great recession impacted a lot of people (as did 9/11), but for most their day to day lives weren't impacted to the degree that those who lived through the Spanish flu outbreak, the great depression, or world wars experienced. Now we're beginning to find out just how easy we've had it.

DavidSauls 04-09-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3572925)
No doubt. The post war generations of Americans haven't had to deal with something like this. I was talking with a coworker about this a few weeks back. She grew up in Poland in the eighties and has vivid memories of taking turns waiting in multiday breadlines with her siblings. That experience has given her perspective on our current situation that many of us lack.

For my generation growing up in America (I'm 40 for reference), we haven't ever experienced mass hardship to this degree. Sure the great recession impacted a lot of people (as did 9/11), but for most their day to day lives weren't impacted to the degree that those who lived through the Spanish flu outbreak, the great depression, or world wars experienced. Now we're beginning to find out just how easy we've had it.

My 79-year-old mother is chafing a bit at the homebound restrictions. But we were talking last night; she was a child during WWII and has a few memories---ration tickets, and since they lived near the coast, having blackout curtains and only 1 light on at night. They moved from SC to California for a job and, when the war ended, they couldn't drive home---it was impossible to get enough gas---so they sold their car to take a train ride, on a train jammed with returning troops. There were shortages of everything, and of course every family had men drafted off to war. We also talked of the dread of polio, in the 40s and 50s.

We'll get through this.

BogeyNoMore 04-09-2020 03:16 PM

As I said two weeks ago:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3567988)
The best analogy I can come up with is this is our generation's WWII. It's going to have a widespread global impact in terms of lives, lifestyle, economics, and all of us are going to have to make some sacrifices in at least one way, shape or form.

At this point you can't compare scales, because this has only been happening for a few months. WWII occurred over the course of several years. I don't even want to think about this pandemic lasting beyond the spring, let alone years.

Now think about all our friends working in healthcare on the front lines of this battle (ru4 has been called back into active duty). They're our military in this battle.
Thank you all for your service!

Jay Dub 04-09-2020 05:37 PM

Most of the country always makes fun of Ohio and how bad it would be to live here.
Now it's about the best state in the country (without looking up stats, if not it's close) and we want y'all to stay out....for now.:)

I'm real impressed with how this has all been handled here.

^^^Not political. Ky Gov has done a great job also. (Now both parties are covered)

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2020 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3572398)
Yesterday the hospital had a group of us on my floor, put on the Ford built faceshields and take a couple pictures, with a Built Ford Tough sign. :thmbup:

Thanks for the kind words, Bogey. Be safe.

Just got home from a volunteer shift. They have an IR camera scan every one coming in for fever. I have no idea how accurrate/foolproof it is, but at least they're trying to ensure the workers/volunteers aren't sick. The workspace is pretty well spread out, and everyone was given gloves and faceshields. Made 589 face shields tonight. Felt good to actually do something productive. At least I feel like I'm helping in some small way. Going back Fri night.

DiscFifty 04-10-2020 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3573001)
Most of the country always makes fun of Ohio and how bad it would be to live here.

Is the drug/meth/heroine problem still a reality there? I know it was bad 7+ years ago when I helped move my brother and his family out of Ohio. We do talk about the relatively small number of cases there and it's a bit surprising, especially in the Cincinnati area.

DavidSauls 04-10-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Now it's about the best state in the country (without looking up stats, if not it's close) and we want y'all to stay out....for now.:)

^^^Not political. Ky Gov has done a great job also. (Now both parties are covered)

Don't look up the stats. It may not rank as high in this crisis as you think, compared to all of the other states. On the other hand, Ohio's much better off then some other states in your region.

davetherocketguy 04-10-2020 07:43 AM

From another forum I frequent:

Quote:

My worry isnít that weíre overreacting. My worry is that the mandated reaction may have a better chance of killing me than the virus.

If Michigan enforces a stay-at-home travel ban I will lose all sources of income. Shortly thereafter I will lose my leased car which will prevent me from working when ďthings return to normal.Ē Utility shut offs follow that. Before that, Iíll have run out of food.

Iím a 55yo Type II diabetic, but itís not the virus I fear.

The cost of saving lives from the virus could end up being just as high as the potential virus deaths.

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3573159)
Don't look up the stats. It may not rank as high in this crisis as you think, compared to all of the other states. On the other hand, Ohio's much better off then some other states in your region.

Doesn't matter if it's football, basketball, or the hospitals... Ohio kicking Michigan's @$$ is gettin' old. :( :wall:

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm (Post 3572775)
We all want to "save lives" but at what cost? Society makes decisions routinely that trade off "saving lives" with economic activity and freedom. Put governors on all motorized vehicles to limit them to a top speed of 25 MPH and you will save thousands of lives each year. Outlaw alcohol and you will save thousands more (because we did that once and there were no unintended consequences).

Ten lives? Really? Yes, let's wreck the national economy to save ten lives. Brilliant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3573163)
From another forum I frequent:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3572837)
The economy is important, absolutely. But it is also important to recognize that the economy will not return to anything resembling normal during an out-of-control pandemic.

So serious question: how would you propose that we move forward? What, in your opinion, would be the best balance between economic activity and public health?

Dave/RJ: rather than complaining about how the cure is worse than the disease, perhaps you can respond to the underlined? How about a solid recommendation?

:popcorn: