Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 04-10-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3573154)
Just got home from a volunteer shift. They have an IR camera scan every one coming in for fever. I have no idea how accurrate/foolproof it is, but at least they're trying to ensure the workers/volunteers aren't sick. The workspace is pretty well spread out, and everyone was given gloves and faceshields. Made 589 face shields tonight. Felt good to actually do something productive. At least I feel like I'm helping in some small way. Going back Fri night.

Thanks for the help, Bogey. We use them and they are an important tool to keep all hospital workers safe. :clap::clap:

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2020 11:40 AM

Glad to hear it and thanks for that feedback!

Dcinmd 04-10-2020 11:43 AM

Excellent article I read today which I agree 1000%. Just because a government official flips a switch it does not mean it will change the patterns of the citizens.

Quote:

Information doesn’t just come from governments. The death tolls in Italy and New York probably did more to change behavior on the ground than all of Trump’s press conferences or Dr. Anthony Fauci’s TV appearances.

And this raises another complication for those who think the government can just “re-open” the economy with the flick of a switch. Trump and all of the governors could lift the stay-at-home orders and federal advisories tomorrow. That wouldn’t necessarily fill the restaurants, airplanes or stadiums. People would still need to be convinced it’s safe. Such persuasion comes via clear, believable information, not orders from on high.

And that’s how it should be in a free society.

DavidSauls 04-10-2020 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateWesternSky (Post 3573260)
I don't have per capital data for Ohio, but I can eyeball it. Given that they have 3 and a half large cities, and are surrounded by states that are not doing well, they are doing a decent job. They were also one of the first to issue stay at home orders.

Sortable by column. The per capita is in the /M columns:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I have no idea whether this site is the most accurate, but they've got an easy-to-follow format.

davetherocketguy 04-10-2020 11:49 AM

If you’d like I can get you the guys contact info and you can tell him that everything will be just fine yourself.

Jay Dub 04-10-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3573280)
Sortable by column. The per capita is in the /M columns:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I have no idea whether this site is the most accurate, but they've got an easy-to-follow format.

That's the site I was looking for. if you click on the "Tot Cases/1M Pop" it will sort per capita. then see where each state is on the list. Ohio is pretty far down.

DavidSauls 04-10-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3573284)
That's the site I was looking for. if you click on the "Tot Cases/1M Pop" it will sort per capita. then see where each state is on the list. Ohio is pretty far down.

Certainly better than most of your neighbors.

As I said, I look at deaths/M. Because if you look at tests, Ohio's not so good, so the cases may be misleading.

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcinmd (Post 3573278)
Excellent article I read today which I agree 1000%. Just because a government official flips a switch it does not mean it will change the patterns of the citizens.

Any chance you could link that or at least tell us the source?

DG_player 04-10-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3573167)
Dave/RJ: rather than complaining about how the cure is worse than the disease, perhaps you can respond to the underlined? How about a solid recommendation?

:popcorn:

There are countries taking a much different approach than the "lockdown" approach taken my most western governments. Think about it, the only way we are ever getting back to remotely normal is when we have herd immunity, achievable with a vaccine (a long ways off) or enough people getting sick and recovering. Is endless economic shutdown viable, or is a smooth way to get to herd immunity a better option?

The netherlands is pretty much open for business, large events and schools are closed, but aside from that it's pretty much business as usual (restaurants etc. open). People are treated like adults and asked to maintain social distancing and use basic precautions during their activities (maybe the dutch generally act more adult like than most). High risk and older people are being asked to take much more drastic precautions, essentially the ones many in other parts of the world are taking. In this way the disease spreads through the young and healthy with hopefully minimal mortality and eventually they will reach a level of immunity that the normal life can be resumed with the disease's ability to spread being greatly mitigated.

Is their strategy better than ours and other european nations? Currently their per capita death rates are similar to other european nations. If they can maintain this and reach herd immunity quicker, while letting their economy run mostly normal, I think it would be clear that this is the best strategy. Time will tell. Who knows it might blow up on them. At any rate it's definitely an experiment other national leaders should be watching closely.

As an aside, our local park course recently had the baskets pulled. I'm not sure if this was a preemptive precaution by the parks department, or was a reaction taken as a result of DGers failing to maintain social distancing. Personally, I find it a little sad I can't be treated like an adult and be allowed to engage in an outdoor activity that can be responsibly done with social distancing. I also find it sad that when people are given the freedom to act like responsible adults, a small minority can't.

ru4por 04-10-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3573282)
If you’d like I can get you the guys contact info and you can tell him that everything will be just fine yourself.

The crazy situation the world is in, is hard on everyone. I think, even this forum, has clearly demonstrated that we are all in bad shape in some different way.

Living paycheck to paycheck has a vast list of potential perils. This current virus, while certainly not imaginable, a serious event to trash the economy was not. (9/11, stock market crash, oil embargo....). I feel for everyone, but poverty has many options. Starving to death is a matter of poor choices in this country. In my area, NOBODY is getting their utilities cut off, food banks are running and getting donations. Though very unfortunate and uncomfortable, shelter, food and water are available.

It is not by accident that I have always had a few months of living expenses set aside and liquid since I was married 30 some years ago. I was taught this by my parents.

I hope your friend is able to research the options and find the help he needs.