Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 12-21-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3671637)
We are in Christmas break as if Friday. On Saturday my 4th graders principal called to inform us one of Samís classmates tested positive for Covid late on Friday.

The kids wear masks all day. The school gets bombed every night with disinfectant. They wipe down surfaces continually throughout the day.

We will be fairly isolated through the break. But did have a few last minute XMas items I was planning to pick up.

Other than masking and normal hand sanitizing/washing how isolated/quarantined would you be in this situation? We wonít be around any elderly or at risk folks other than ourselves (me, my son and my wife) except for the potential store runs.

I think it is always about personal risk assessment. I am lucky to be able to self isolate pretty strictly. My wife does the weekly grocery shopping and outside of a couple doctor's appointments each, we don't leave the house. We have only done carry out a handful of times since March. The exception for me is disc golf. This of course, does come with a gas station visit occasionally.

I just had to go into the hospital for two 8 hour shifts. Obviously masked up and I was able to avoid COVID units and areas. BUT.....it is the biggest risk I have undertaken in several weeks. So, I am at home for a couple weeks, no exceptions for me. It simply is not worth it. My family has cancelled Christmas, so that is not an issue. It holds little religious importance to my family and now that we are all grown up, no kids for the time being....nieces and nephews are grown, none have kids yet. This sweet spot allows us to get over the holiday thing pretty quickly. Mom is a bit bummed, but she understands.

So, I see the introduction of the greatest risk in a while, as a reason to quarantine. Your choice potentially impact so many others.........

Broken Shoulder 12-21-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

We are in Christmas break as if Friday. On Saturday my 4th graders principal called to inform us one of Samís classmates tested positive for Covid late on Friday.

The kids wear masks all day. The school gets bombed every night with disinfectant. They wipe down surfaces continually throughout the day.

We will be fairly isolated through the break. But did have a few last minute XMas items I was planning to pick up.

Other than masking and normal hand sanitizing/washing how isolated/quarantined would you be in this situation? We wonít be around any elderly or at risk folks other than ourselves (me, my son and my wife) except for the potential store runs.

Can you order them as store pickup and limit contact?

txmxer 12-21-2020 11:14 AM

Good idea

DavidSauls 12-21-2020 11:42 AM

Quote:

We had something similar in my bubble: my nextdoor niece (9th grade) had a school friend confirmed positive. The school didn't include her in the quarantine -- they said the girls weren't together for long -- but her father had her tested, and for the 5 days it took to get an answer, we were all extra careful, around each other and not venturing out, which she was quarantined in her room. (She came back negative, and weeks have now passed).

So that's my guess, depending on age of your kid, and how much exposure. A few levels of extra firewalls, and fingers crossed. After all, you get through every day with the possibility of a yet-undetected infection and transmission; this may be just be heightened a bit.

autocrosscrx 12-21-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3671431)
I did not watch it, but it is a local A Tier event. I have played tournaments all summer and you would be hard pressed to see a mask during play. Tournament central, yes. Four guys on the card, no.

There have been a few times where I pulled off my sunglasses to clean them and saw the reflection of a masked disc golfer, but that is it.

I've actually quit playing courses because things are really bad in TN and I can't seem to avoid groups of people that don't give you your space.

ru4por 12-21-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3671667)
There have been a few times where I pulled off my sunglasses to clean them and saw the reflection of a masked disc golfer, but that is it.

I've actually quit playing courses because things are really bad in TN and I can't seem to avoid groups of people that don't give you your space.

That is a shame. Disc golf is certain played in an environment where social distancing is easy. I did stop playing a league this fall/winter because the group that played were a COVID nightmare. But, for the most part, golf has been great.

jakebake91 12-21-2020 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3671667)

Im with you there too. There's 2 courses in my area I won't play until this is over. One is seemingly just always packed with bafoons, the other is a layout issue where multiple teepads end up right next to each other and grouping is inevitable.

Snows on the ground now up here though, so the course traffic is gonna go way down.

autocrosscrx 12-21-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3671670)
Im with you there too. There's 2 courses in my area I won't play until this is over. One is seemingly just always packed with bafoons, the other is a layout issue where multiple teepads end up right next to each other and grouping is inevitable.

Snows on the ground now up here though, so the course traffic is gonna go way down.

Yeah.

Courses are a LOT less crowded here in the summer. You can play super early to beat the crowds and if you do want to or need to play in the middle of the day, a lot of casuals would rather be at the pool or lake or inside than getting beaten down by the sun in a wide open field.

This time of year, if you want to play on a sunny 50 something degree afternoon, you might be one of about 20 people standing around waiting to tee off.

dysmike 12-21-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3671651)
Can you order them as store pickup and limit contact?

Is this actually functional where you are? The only places around here that seems to actually have that down are:

Record stores
REI
Liquor stores

Grocery stores don't even tell you, before you pick up, that items aren't going to be actually delivered. It's a continual guessing game... still.. months in.

The comments on golf being ridiculously easy to social distance, yet people absolutely refusing to, are pretty spot on IMO.

Jay Dub 12-21-2020 01:01 PM

I did the grocery order and pick up once. Half my order was changed. So I go early morning and have all the old ladies hit on me.