Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Jay Dub 04-12-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3573893)
And while I'm rolling out what should be my "trademarked" lines.. Wish I'd established the rights to "weekend warriors" 30yrs ago but anyhow, and totally off topic:

lol you're really claiming this as yours? That phrase was around long before social media or the Internet existed.

DG_player 04-12-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowBot (Post 3573829)
That's why talk of re-opening the economy scares me. A slow down of new cases is evidence that we should continue shutdowns, not end them.

There's a huge behavioral change between "then" and "now". I mean will you go back to carrying on the way you did prior anytime in the near future? I think i'll be fundamentally changed forever. Just the awareness of the threat by the general public is going to go do a lot to slow the spread. Even if you went back to partially normal it will still be much safer, because people will act different than they did before.

The sad thing is it could have been slowed even more had our government been honest with us initially, and if our mainstream news outlets weren't lazy and did actual reporting. They could have been warning us of the threat, encouraging businesses to enact work at home where possible, and encouraging people to practice basic social distancing. Instead it was "everything is fine" until it was too bad for them to conceal anymore. There's something wrong in the world when the best information I got about the virus before all this started was from my crazy relative (I have since changed my opinion of his craziness). It's easy to understand why conspiracy theories thrive nowadays, our government institutions are dishonest with us and no one trusts them anymore.

Armus Patheticus 04-12-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3573732)
It's conclusion-based research. Start with a conclusion, find facts that support it.

It's more efficient than learning.

Sometimes learning is close to impossible. Where should a person go to find the truth about this situation? Clearly news media and governmental officials are worthless, but so too are supposedly bona fide scientific sources, since they contradict one another, present isolated data as a basis for broad conclusions, and engage in or at least enable propagandic warfare. I haven't got a television, nor do I listen to news on the radio or read it online. But I try my best to do good research and sometimes that just isn't possible. This is one of those times.

So, since I'm not motivated by fear, my only choice is to make decisions based on common sense logic (as awfully inadequate as that often is) and consideration for the beliefs and needs and fears of others. If I have my own opinions I also recognize that they may be wrong and that no one else needs to hear them. But, if I can fulfill my own wishes or preferences without doing harm (as far as I can know by my earnest attempts to know) I will do so.

Your oil-change analogy, by the way, might be good at illustrating one form of fallacy, but it is an invitation to a horde of anecdotes that I suspect contradict your own conclusions. We all know about the Civic that ran 370k without an oil change, or the well-maintained cars failing left and right. Anecdotes, statistics, speculations, logic... all great ways to get absolutely nowhere.

Do your darndest everybody, and my best wishes. I'm going out to deliver these here mushrooms.

Central Scrutinizer 04-12-2020 12:10 PM

When the pandemic is all over, I would like to see a tally of courses we lost permanently due to the idiots not following common sense or the law.

brutalbrutus 04-12-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3573896)
lol you're really claiming this as yours? That phrase was around long before social media or the Internet existed.

Yea. Hasn't that phrase been around to describe Army reservists/National Gaurd for a loooong time? I think they even said it First Blood when the National Guard guys shoot the rocket at Rambo and blow up the cave entrance...

ru4por 04-12-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 3573904)
When the pandemic is all over, I would like to see a tally of courses we lost permanently due to the idiots not following common sense or the law.

And sadly it will be the adults, that have sat home and sacrificed playing for months, that will have to go and try to re-initiate a relationship with the park or municipality to begin work on getting the courses back in. So the same covidiots can come and litter, draw disc chargers and make some bottle cap art. I would expect an increase in pay to play, as well.

jeffmonty 04-12-2020 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 3573904)

Yeah, and those same idiots will blame it on over-reactionary parks departments or whomever else they can blame other than their own damn self.

BogeyNoMore 04-12-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3573905)
Yea. Hasn't that phrase been around to describe Army reservists/National Gaurd for a loooong time? I think they even said it First Blood when the National Guard guys shoot the rocket at Rambo and blow up the cave entrance...

Ted Nugent released his Weekend Warriors album in 1978...and he didn't coin the phrase, so it goes back more than 4 decades.

ThrowaEnvy 04-12-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3573905)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3573896)

I really am.. I'm not saying other people can't come up with it but I started using the line when I was 10 or 12 (1986 ish) to describe the people that would vacation at my grandparents resort and party like no tomorrow.

This thread needs an injection of nonsense

Monocacy 04-12-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3573898)
The sad thing is it could have been slowed even more had our government been honest with us initially, and if our mainstream news outlets weren't lazy and did actual reporting. They could have been warning us of the threat, encouraging businesses to enact work at home where possible, and encouraging people to practice basic social distancing. Instead it was "everything is fine" until it was too bad for them to conceal anymore.

Completely agree on government response, or lack thereof.

Out of curiosity I did a search for newspaper articles on the novel coronavirus from January 2020. Turns out that there was plenty of reporting and quite a few warnings from major newspapers. A lazy search turns up:

Washington Post: First U.S. case of potentially deadly Chinese coronavirus confirmed in Washington state (January 21)

NPR: The Coronavirus Crisis: 1st Case Of New Coronavirus Detected In U.S. (January 21)

Business Insider: Health experts issued an ominous warning about a coronavirus pandemic 3 months ago. The virus in their simulation killed 65 million people (January 23)

BBC News: China coronavirus spread is accelerating, Xi Jinping warns (January 28)

Scientific American: Experts Warn of Possible Sustained Global Spread of New Coronavirus (January 27)

New York Times: Is the World Ready for the Coronavirus? Distrust in science and institutions could be a major problem if the outbreak worsens. (January 29)

CNBC: CDC confirms first human-to-human transmission of coronavirus in US (January 30)