Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

dysmike 02-02-2021 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3687345)
It comes down to cheap design and mass production. If we paid more attention to detail during the manufacturing process, we'd end up with tighter tolerances, fewer quality issues, and more consistency over all.

I'm talking about humans... not the vaccine.

We're all bespoke. That's the problem.

Jay Dub 02-03-2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

It comes down to cheap design and mass production. If we paid more attention to detail during the manufacturing process, we'd end up with tighter tolerances, fewer quality issues, and more consistency over all.

Holy sheet!

You have no idea how big of a deal it is for me to see you (or anyone here) say this.

In my early years in my career as a machine designer an engineer showed me an article that proved your point. And that article has always stood out to me.

A plant in Detroit and one in Japan were given the same blue prints and specs and had to use the same material to make transmissions.

ALL the ones made in Japan were much better and lasted much longer. The only reason they could find was the tolerance. In machine design +/-.005 is common tolerance for a machined surface.
Detroit made trans stayed within tolerance but most times just barely. So they were + or - .004 many times.
Japan made trans showed every number was within +/-.001. And it made all the difference.

On topic: Ohio numbers are still looking better. :)

Nick Pacific 02-03-2021 07:45 AM

Quote:

Context matters. Humans as an animal species are far and beyond the most selective in terms of breeding than any animal that has ever existed in history of the planet.

I know were just having fun, but I try and remember that all things considered, Idiocracy isn't real and is just a funny B movie and in actuality we humans are moving in the opposite direction.

jakebake91 02-03-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3687428)
Holy sheet!

You have no idea how big of a deal it is for me to see you (or anyone here) say this.

In my early years in my career as a machine designer an engineer showed me an article that proved your point. And that article has always stood out to me.

A plant in Detroit and one in Japan were given the same blue prints and specs and had to use the same material to make transmissions.

ALL the ones made in Japan were much better and lasted much longer. The only reason they could find was the tolerance. In machine design +/-.005 is common tolerance for a machined surface.
Detroit made trans stayed within tolerance but most times just barely. So they were + or - .004 many times.
Japan made trans showed every number was within +/-.001. And it made all the difference.

On topic: Ohio numbers are still looking better. :)

Speaking my language!!!! As a machinist/toolmaker, tolerances are everything. Poorly dimensioned/designed parts are the bain of my existence. Oh i could go on and on and on about engineers.....but I won't.

Also. Wisconsin numbers apparently trending better also!

autocrosscrx 02-03-2021 08:20 AM

As a cost engineer, tight tolerances are the bain of my existence. :p

jakebake91 02-03-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3687443)
As a cost engineer, tight tolerances are the bain of my existence. :p

Hey. I'm good with +/-.130 the rest of my life!

autocrosscrx 02-03-2021 08:34 AM

They really aren't the bain of my existence.

...but Covid is, both professionally and personally.

ejvogie 02-03-2021 10:07 AM

Bane, people. Bane. Like the DC supervillain.

Wife's getting her second dose today. She's expecting to miss a day or two of work. She only works Thursdays and Fridays in her primary position (she works contingent as well).

Monocacy 02-03-2021 10:19 AM

Are we not taking COVID-19 seriously? Let me answer a question with a question.

How many will be going to Super Spreader Sunday parties?

ejvogie 02-03-2021 10:26 AM

I might not even watch it, I'll just hit up YouTube for the commercials