Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 04-19-2020 02:21 AM

Don't get me wrong, the discussion of numbers is interesting, but man...it is sooo speculative, at this point. With the minuscule testing that has been done, there is not enough info to even really count as data. We cannot even test everyone that is certain they have the virus, let alone asymptomatic cases and antibody testing. It could be years before the numbers will give us a reliable picture of what is happening. Really that is the basis of shelter in place. With the lack of data, simply gambling on the side of safety is a simple choice.....well, to most.

DiscFifty 04-19-2020 02:29 AM

Some really interesting info here. Are any of you involved with local politics where you live?

tomte 04-19-2020 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3577154)
Don't get me wrong, the discussion of numbers is interesting, but man...it is sooo speculative, at this point. With the minuscule testing that has been done, there is not enough info to even really count as data. We cannot even test everyone that is certain they have the virus, let alone asymptomatic cases and antibody testing. It could be years before the numbers will give us a reliable picture of what is happening. Really that is the basis of shelter in place. With the lack of data, simply gambling on the side of safety is a simple choice.....well, to most.

True, numbers are very young on not really safe and especially not in context. But we could have better numbers by now. Here in Europe Sweden again is the first country that made a random test of a couple of thousand people to see how many are actually infected in April. This could have been done in Italy two months ago or in China in December already to get a better understanding. Putting aside that the tests are less then perfect themselves.

The information I posted should be treated with the same caution as all the other information circling around - but I feel that information in the common outlets is very one-sided.

robdeforge 04-19-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomte (Post 3577153)
Also death numbers are incorrect. Pretty much all deaths are counted as covid - even if they are not even tested positive for covid.

do you have a source for this claim?

ohtobediscing 04-19-2020 08:39 AM

Actually, C19 deaths appear to be more than claimed, as per FL governor fudging C19 deaths down to validate opening beaches, businesses, and wrestling. :rolleyes:

By the way, are "folkshalsomyndigheten" scientists?

paul2432 04-19-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohtobediscing (Post 3577187)
Actually, C19 deaths appear to be more than claimed, as per FL governor fudging C19 deaths down to validate opening beaches, businesses, and wrestling.

In NY there is a general sense that there are countless more deaths from Covid then what have been reported. And I totally agree with you on the FLA governor. Florida's death rate from the pandemic has continued to rise, but he turns around and opens the beaches. Can we call that political Darwinism? (As is in the Darwin awards)

JedV 04-19-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul2432 (Post 3577192)
In NY there is a general sense that there are countless more deaths from Covid then what have been reported. And I totally agree with you on the FLA governor. Florida's death rate from the pandemic has continued to rise, but he turns around and opens the beaches. Can we call that political Darwinism? (As is in the Darwin awards)

I definitely agree with the Darwinism sentiment ;)

DavidSauls 04-19-2020 09:48 AM

The Dismissers move from one set of numbers to another, as they're debunked or disproved. Remember all the "H1N1 killed 11,000 Americans, and we didn't shut the country down" posts that were flying around, a few weeks ago? As the U.S. closes in on 40,000 dead, you don't read much of that anymore.

It's inevitable that they' transition from "people won't die" to "people didn't die", in yet another effort to dismiss the seriousness of covid-19.

pearlybakerbest 04-19-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohtobediscing (Post 3577187)
By the way, are "folkshalsomyndigheten" scientists

Seeing as this is Sweden public health agency, I would assume that yes, many scientists/health experts make up this institution.

Halcón 04-19-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3577200)
The Dismissers...

I'm not sure what a "dismisser" actually believes, but are there people out there who think that we should have done nothing? That we should have carried on with life as if nothing was wrong? (Basically like we do with the flu every year)*



*I suppose this question is rhetorical, since we have flat earthers, and other such nonsense floating around.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.