Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

brutalbrutus 04-20-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3577416)
The numbers could be misleading for a variety of reasons. I believe the Chinese government might want to misteoresent the number of cases and deaths. But with testing being as limited as it is, I don't know that any country has a accurate handle on how many people actually developed Covid.

There was a story written a couple weeks ago where they tried look for any spike in deaths in Wuhan compared to previous years. They looked out how many urns had been ordered.

...there was something like 26,000 more this year.

DG_player 04-20-2020 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul2432 (Post 3577385)
The Ohio governor was cited in an article recently in (I think) the New York Times. It basically said Ohio's governor was really the first governor in the nation to really try and address the issue as aggressively as he did. He called off a huge sports event in Columbus (again I think lol) and was first or second for shutting down the schools to help stop the spread. I live in Western NY and I think Cuomo has done an admirable job with the virus, but then I see on FB people bitching about him tonight. It just boggles the mind.

DeWine did a great job. He took serious steps closing large events, etc. long before other worse off states did. Back when no one knew what was happening and the political pressure and heat was tremendous. He just did it because he knew it was the right thing to do and didn't worry about getting re-elected etc. Honestly I would like to see him primary trump for the Republican nomination. Not to mention I'd like to see the governor of my state, Tom Wolf, who also took early bold action replace Biden for the democratic nomination.

Cuomo has done an absolute garbage job. He puts on a good show blaming Trump and tooting his own horn, but he did an absolutely awful job bungling his state's response. He was way behind governors in many other states with way less serious outbreaks. Heck, bars and clubs were open in NYC long after PA and OH had shut them down. His health system was inadequately prepared. De Blasio did an even worst job. He's blaming everyone else but fought everyone of his advisors about shutting things down until the very end. NY state has double the per capita death rate of italy (which a few weeks ago was the center of the apocalypse). It's absolutely shameful. Honestly I don't know how anyone could possibly think anything positive about either or ever vote for them again.

The whole thing is shameful. People in power knew this was coming. Simply being honest with their citizens about the seriousness of the threat, and explaining the few simple steps that everyone can easily do, would greatly have mitigated this disaster.

R-Ogre 04-20-2020 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3577422)
There was a story written a couple weeks ago where they tried look for any spike in deaths in Wuhan compared to previous years. They looked out how many urns had been ordered.

...there was something like 26,000 more this year.

Yeah a lot of us were saying back in January when they started closing down factories that it had to be much nastier than they were letting on if they were shooting their economy in the foot to stop it. Iím even more convinced now than ever that we were right.

Might be a lesson in there somewhere for us too.

R-Ogre 04-20-2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3577431)
DeWine did a great job. He took serious steps closing large events, etc. long before other worse off states did. Back when no one knew what was happening and the political pressure and heat was tremendous. He just did it because he knew it was the right thing to do and didn't worry about getting re-elected etc. Honestly I would like to see him primary trump for the Republican nomination. Not to mention I'd like to see the governor of my state, Tom Wolf, who also took early bold action replace Biden for the democratic nomination.

Cuomo has done an absolute garbage job. He puts on a good show blaming Trump and tooting his own horn, but he did an absolutely awful job bungling his state's response. He was way behind governors in many other states with way less serious outbreaks. Heck, bars and clubs were open in NYC long after PA and OH had shut them down. His health system was inadequately prepared. De Blasio did an even worst job. He's blaming everyone else but fought everyone of his advisors about shutting things down until the very end. NY state has double the per capita death rate of italy (which a few weeks ago was the center of the apocalypse). It's absolutely shameful. Honestly I don't know how anyone could possibly think anything positive about either or ever vote for them again.

The whole thing is shameful. People in power knew this was coming. Simply being honest with their citizens about the seriousness of the threat, and explaining the few simple steps that everyone can easily do, would greatly have mitigated this disaster.

I wondered when someone else would notice that Cuomo is getting away with way too good of a rap here. I guess people like him because he locks horns with trump, but the reality of it is NYC was telling people to go out and use the subway (talk about a perfect breeding ground for a respiratory virus btw) while Seattle was already essentially in shutdown mode.

DG_player 04-20-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3577382)
... and as contagious as this thing is this point, I think we have an idea what the underlined would have been like. Can you imagine how much worse this would have been had schools and non-essential businesses reopened after just 2-3 weeks? Chances are it would have spread through any business with employees whose kids attend school.

Can you imagine how much better it would have been if the general public had been alerted earlier? And we all took the simple basic steps needed to reduce the spread.

We're about a month out from when things got serious. FINALLY, my state has come to the realization that if you're gonna crowd a bunch of people in a grocery store, the employees and shoppers should be wearing masks so as to not spread the disease... Seriously, they just figured this out???? Every asian nation has been doing this since last year!

I took my kids to a disney on ice show in early february, with my buddy and his family. He had a huge fight with his wife because he didn't want to go because of the coronavirus. How the heck did the fringe societal people know and react to this quicker than our government? (I'm not just criticizing our government either, every single western nation has totally botched this)

DG_player 04-20-2020 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3577433)
I wondered when someone else would notice that Cuomo is getting away with way too good of a rap here. I guess people like him because he locks horns with trump, but the reality of it is NYC was telling people to go out and use the subway (talk about a perfect breeding ground for a respiratory virus btw) while Seattle was already essentially in shutdown mode.

I have to say I think he has done a good job since he finally realized he couldn't avoid the pandemic. I would say the same for Trump, and most of the other elected officials at the state and federal level. Once the inevitable came to pass they've stepped up to the plate. The problem is they did what politicians typically do. They had experts advising them and ignored it because they didn't want to mess up there beautiful economy that would get them re-elected or propel them to higher office. There are very few political leaders (DeWine, Wolf, and maybe a few from western states I'm not familiar with), who did what they knew was right be damned the political consequences.

DavidSauls 04-20-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3577436)
I have to say I think he has done a good job since he finally realized he couldn't avoid the pandemic. I would say the same for Trump, and most of the other elected officials at the state and federal level. Once the inevitable came to pass they've stepped up to the plate. The problem is they did what politicians typically do. They had experts advising them and ignored it because they didn't want to mess up there beautiful economy that would get them re-elected or propel them to higher office. There are very few political leaders (DeWine, Wolf, and maybe a few from western states I'm not familiar with), who did what they knew was right be damned the political consequences.

Leadership.

Think of how hard it would have been in January or February, with few cases and no deaths in the U.S. Now we have a quarter-million known cases, far more presumed, and 40,000 deaths, and there are still people saying we shouldn't be worried about it. So, absolutely, those who acted instead of reacted deserve credit.

robdeforge 04-20-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broomerang (Post 3577391)
:thmbup: Thanks Jay Dub. We're doing our best to stay safe, keeping plenty of distance, no touching, no putting. We've all got loved ones we're concerned about and wouldn't want to be the guy that puts them in the hospital.

We've seen some idiots out there. Honestly though we've seen far more non-disc golfer idiots than. There are more of these people than disc golfers so that makes sense. We keep an extra wide berth of those groups.

I'm still way more concerned about the hour a week I'm forced to go into the grocery store than my round of disc golf. I have a very stressful job with long hours (working from home, no risk), a round a week has been the highlight of my week for a long time. I'm blessed to have throwing partners like Jay Dub who are good people and not idiots that I need to be worried about being around while this Covid stuff is going on.

I'm a member of the better safe than sorry club. I'm currently only playing solo rounds at a private course.

When all of this is over, I'll be glad to know that I did EVERYTHING I could :)

(you spend an HOUR in the grocery store??)

robdeforge 04-20-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3577436)
I would say the same for Trump, and most of the other elected officials at the state and federal level. Once the inevitable came to pass they've stepped up to the plate.

Quote:

Asked whether he should take responsibility for the failure to disseminate larger quantities of tests earlier, Trump declined. "I don't take responsibility at all," he said.
he hasn't stepped up to the plate one bit. he's still blaming EVERYBODY else, because NOTHING he does can EVER be wrong.

broomerang 04-20-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3577452)
I'm a member of the better safe than sorry club. I'm currently only playing solo rounds at a private course.

When all of this is over, I'll be glad to know that I did EVERYTHING I could :)

(you spend an HOUR in the grocery store??)

I have to pick up my wifeís meds once a week. Post surgery stuff, have to get a written script. And generally speaking I have to go to 2 stores to get everything we need. We eat really healthy and fresh food selection is store dependent. So that takes an approx an hour combined.