Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Halcón 04-30-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexplz (Post 3581100)
What do you guys think of returning to casual, lone wolf disc golf, assuming the powers that be have given the weary thumbs-up?

Go for it.

Alexplz 04-30-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3581101)
I think the risk as long as you’re not a covidiot is and always has been very low to nonexistent.

The risk on a small scale - to me, from me, to my bubble of people - is likely zilch. As to whether it's the right thing to do, what I need to ask myself is this - if every intrepid disc golfer in my town or yours decided to start up lone wolf rounds again, would it turn out OK?

Also what is this covidiot thing? Like someone who chooses not to take this stuff seriously, or chooses to break pandemic rules regardless?

Alexplz 04-30-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3581102)
Go for it.

HON, THIS INTERNET GUY SAYS GO FOR IT! SEE YOU IN 4 HOURS!

Monocacy 04-30-2020 04:43 PM

Haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexplz (Post 3581104)
The risk on a small scale - to me, from me, to my bubble of people - is likely zilch. As to whether it's the right thing to do, what I need to ask myself is this - if every intrepid disc golfer in my town or yours decided to start up lone wolf rounds again, would it turn out OK?

I have been playing occasional solo rounds as long as the course is close to empty. If the course is packed and people are behaving unsafely I will leave without hesitation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexplz (Post 3581104)
Also what is this covidiot thing? Like someone who chooses not to take this stuff seriously, or chooses to break pandemic rules regardless?

Yep. In disc golf terms usually a mob round with no physical distancing, etc.

BogeyNoMore 04-30-2020 04:47 PM

Yesterday I saw a 8 guys playing basketball in a public park very close to where I live while I was taking a solitary walk through the park. :\

I'm not saying they couldn't possibly live in the same household, but given the range of ages and ethnicities (which I'd normally point out as a positive)...
My guess is they don't.

I dunno. I'm not ready to get close with people yet, but somewhere down the line, don't we kinda have to? The next several weeks and months are definitely going to be a strange experience for all of us, is everyone feels their way through what they think is acceptable risk.

We're aware how this is affecting us and how we've had to change our habits in the here and now, but it'll be interesting, if not a bit painful, to see how this affects personal and societal behavior and norms in the medium and long term time frames.

I imagine the development of a vaccine would have a huge impact on how behaviors evolve, but I sure as hell ain't holding my breath waiting for one.

DiscFifty 04-30-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3580996)
Car accidents kill a lot of folks each year too. Should we compare that and COVID? I miss the point of this.

We could easily easily save 300k+ lives a year. Hint: It doesn't require a vaccination.

zgmc 04-30-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3581116)
We could easily easily save 300k+ lives a year. Hint: It doesn't require a vaccination.

That’s true sweet-cheeks. We could decide that the risk to driving was too high, and lower the speed limit to the point where there was virtually zero driving related deaths... no one is saying there aren’t risks to living. There are risks in everything you do. Do you think no one is taking this into account when thinking about the actions of govt with regards to covid19? I mean maybe you should call the CDC. Those wazbags have no clue what’s going on.

knivvves 04-30-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zgmc (Post 3581124)
That’s true sweet-cheeks. We could decide that the risk to driving was too high, and lower the speed limit to the point where there was virtually zero driving related deaths...

First automobile fatality happened in 1896 when a pedestrian was hit by a vehicle doing 4 mph, going to have to cap it at 3 maybe.

Monocacy 04-30-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3581116)

What do you propose?

jeffmonty 04-30-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexplz (Post 3581100)
Question for you guys - the other day here in WA, the governor issued an update to the prior order, stating that a number of outdoor activities were being opened back up from the perspective of state govt - state parks for example, along with fishing, non-team sports... Golf specifically was mentioned as something they are giving the thumbs-up on to start up again, assuming distancing is maintained and that each group contains no more than 1 household

My home courses are Woodland Creek in a Lacey city park and the Evergreen course on the state college campus. I emailed the Lacey parks and rec dept yesterday to find out what the status of the parks is... not sure about evergreen.

What do you guys think of returning to casual, lone wolf disc golf, assuming the powers that be have given the weary thumbs-up? The legal side is one thing - that is to say, are the courses actually open or not. As to whether it makes good sense, that's another.

The important thing in this to remember is that some parks may open under distancing guidelines, but a course like Evergreen may continue to remain closed as they are free to decide themselves when to safely re-open. Then it becomes an issue of trespassing. That is just too fine of a course to jeopardize because a few folks just can't keep off of it. That course provides basically nothing that I can think of to that college outside of a few bucks/day in parking fees, so if only a few people disrespect their closed signs, it would be nothing for them to tell the local club to pack up the baskets and get out, permanently. I know it's a bit of a stretch for that to happen, but I once saw a good course go extinct over 8 beer cans.

Sometimes, relationships with parks departments, colleges, etc. can be either so new or already weak that it wouldn't take much to crush them.