Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Halcón 05-05-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3582765)
I just took an antibody serology test yesterday, as part of a vast research effort. We will see.

Keep us posted. :thmbup:

Hampstead 05-05-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3582755)
Hampy, ^ That's because they've all already gotten sick. Herd immunity.

It's the rising #'s elsewhere as everyone is clamoring to "reopen" and FOX News is complaining about social distancing that I found relevant.

Monocacy 05-05-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3582755)
Hampy, ^ That's because they've all already gotten sick. Herd immunity.

Hal, I hope you were joking. Just in case you were not, or for anyone who might have been misled by your post, here are some facts:

Herd immunity usually takes about 70% of the population to have effective antibodies.

New York State has conducted 15,000 antibody tests, finding 12% positives.

New York City found 20% testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. The highest percentage was from the Bronx, with 27% positives.

All of these numbers are well below the 70% required for herd immunity.

Halcón 05-05-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3582772)
Hal, I hope you were joking. Just in case you were not, or for anyone who might have been misled by your post, here are some facts:

Herd immunity usually takes about 70% of the population to have effective antibodies.

New York City found 20% testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. The highest percentage was from the Bronx, with 27% positives.

Whatever you want to call it, the number of NY'ers who have had, or are immune to Covid is vastly higher than in other parts of the US (like Hampy said). The virus simply doesn't have that many people to infect anymore, so the rates will naturally start to fall.

Noill 05-05-2020 02:49 PM

Just for general knowledge and only because this is very important, do not believe anything Hal says on this pandemic. He rarely gets facts straight nor does a deep dive on any study. Take whatever is said with a healthy dose of skepticism.

thank you monocacy for the corrective post.

DavidSauls 05-05-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3582772)

With the assumption that there is actual immunity (probable, but not proven).

DavidSauls 05-05-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3582762)
I hear this a lot from dismissers. It just does not make sense. I get that healthcare is a business, but in my experience, the people that work within the industry, overwhelmingly have a pretty basic altruistic drive. While lying on a death certificate could benefit a hospital system, in some very convoluted way, it just don't see clinicians buying into this kind of intellectual dishonesty.

Interestingly, the Dismissers with anecdotal evidence of inflated covid-19 numbers, never use the biggest weapon in their arsenal: That overall death rates are unchanged, indicating that the covid-19 numbers are just other deaths, re-classified.

Of course, there's a reason they don't: they can't. It's not true. Where covid-19 has hit, overall death rates are up, by a margin greater than the official numbers would account for. If anything, covid-19 numbers are under-stated.

JuanA 05-05-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3582797)
With the assumption that there is actual immunity (probable, but not proven).

Exactly. People have survived, tested negative, and were reinfected again.

I don't put 100% faith in these "Herd Immunity" claims.

BogeyNoMore 05-05-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3582765)
I just took an antibody serology test yesterday, as part of a vast research effort. We will see.

I haven't forgotten about that Oberon I promised you... when we can finally play a round together!

BogeyNoMore 05-05-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Cooper (Post 3582685)
7% mortality rate worldwide 5% in the US.....I'll take my chances

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3582734)
I got $20 on COVID!

Post of the year candidate.