Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

McCready 12-10-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3667509)
Well I don't think you could have done that any more professionally. Nicely done! Also somewhat (pleasantly) surprised they responded. Would have been easy to just sweep that one under the rug and ignore it. Good on them!

Rant:
Has anyone else started to take this behavior almost personally? I feel stupid for it, but it's true. Like, Ive completely changed my entire life around, skipped time with loved ones, my wife's busting her @ss in the testing clinic and working more OT than she has in a decade, just so some @sshats can pretend like nothing is happening? It's starting to really wear on me. Not just with people like Brodie. Everytime I see some perfectly able bodied individual walk into a gas station or grocery store or wherever without a mask or care in the world, I'm finding myself more and more upset. Feels like I'm being pi$$ed on.

/Rant

I guess I reached the absolute maximum level of frustration with human stupidity in general, and oddly my angst went from 100 to near 0. I just donít care anymore. Iím fully prepared to meet flat earthers and Covid deniers at parties and calmly chitchat about it, with barely an urge to bludgeon them to death. ďOh youíre a complete moron? Cool, I understand thatís becoming very popular these days. Youíve got some drool running down your chin. Napkin?Ē

At some point you shrug your shoulders and realize you just have to make the choices that make sense to you, and find ways to make this life meaningful and fun. Iíve spent too much time in utter despair about humanity and realized it got me nowhere. Hobbies definitely help to distract you if nothing else.

Jay Dub 12-10-2020 10:45 AM

Yeah^^ I have been able to keep my comments to myself so far to the deniers I have to get around.

What I really want to do is go all "Facebook" on them.

R-Ogre 12-10-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3667500)
Great tale, Ogre. Sounds like you were working hard to keep you and your family safe, plus setting an example. How did you find spending time in a N-95?

Hope your tests come back negative.

Honestly wasnít as bad as I expected. Worst part was not eating/ drinking except during breaks when I had a chance to step outside. Surprisingly even in the simulator I didnít have any issues with being understood when talking.

McCready 12-10-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3667550)
Yeah^^ I have been able to keep my comments to myself so far to the deniers I have to get around.

What I really want to do is go all "Facebook" on them.

What I find funny is the real wackos canít resist the urge to just unload their nonsense on you. At league on Sunday someone made a passing comment like ďCrazy year huh?Ē, there was kind of a pause and this one guy just had to start with the conspiracy crap. It was like he couldnít help himself. Whether your beliefs are based in reality or not, it canít be healthy to be that fired up all the time.

jakebake91 12-10-2020 11:48 AM

This year moreso than any I find myself reciting one of my favorite sayings. "Opinions are like @ssholes...... everyone has one, nobody wants to hear them"

Innova63 12-10-2020 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3667550)
Yeah^^ I have been able to keep my comments to myself so far to the deniers I have to get around....

Sometimes (most times actually) my verbal filter doesn't work, but because I am wearing a mask the Co-vidiots can't hear everything I am saying...

Side note
Had to run into a Wally-world today, while I was checking out at the self-checkout there was a Women at one of the scanners next to me. She was not wearing a mask, her 2 kids (best guess, about 4 and 9 y.o.)with her were running back and forth (neither wearing a mask) wanting her buy other stuff.

Co-vidiots raising more of the same....

So would that be child abuse or child neglect?

jakebake91 12-10-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innova63 (Post 3667722)
Co-vidiots raising more of the same....

So would that be child abuse or child neglect?

Neglect? I mean she isn't outright hurting them herself, she's just leaving the door open for them to get sick. So I vote neglect. And absolute utter ignorance.

Neither of my kids want to go anywhere without their masks. I actually feel bad because my youngest (not quite 2) is really recommended to wear one. But if I am and his brother (5 years) is, he wants one too. But he wears one, and If he can, why does anyone else b!tch about wearing one?

Now granted. They don't go in hardly anywhere anymore. We got flu shots on Saturday. That's the first time I had both kids in anyplace in.....I don't even know anymore....

robdeforge 12-11-2020 07:34 AM

classy by ricky and ulibarri

https://i.imgur.com/ztSEjcq.png
https://i.imgur.com/fq3e21C.png

Therealgoat 12-11-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3667549)
I guess I reached the absolute maximum level of frustration with human stupidity in general, and oddly my angst went from 100 to near 0. I just donít care anymore.

I want to feel this way about Covid, and similarly I've regressed to "let you live in stupid" for most other topics when encountering those folks. But letting people be stupid about THIS topic is actively hurting/endangering/killing others, and then I get all riled up again.

DiscFifty 12-11-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3667893)

Source?

robdeforge 12-11-2020 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3667896)
Source?

ricky posted a bunch of videos to his story a couple days ago, no longer viewable as far as I know. these pictures are from the instagram account of the sister that attended the wedding with Uli

autocrosscrx 12-11-2020 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3667549)
I guess I reached the absolute maximum level of frustration with human stupidity in general, and oddly my angst went from 100 to near 0. I just donít care anymore. Iím fully prepared to meet flat earthers and Covid deniers at parties and calmly chitchat about it, with barely an urge to bludgeon them to death. ďOh youíre a complete moron? Cool, I understand thatís becoming very popular these days. Youíve got some drool running down your chin. Napkin?Ē

At some point you shrug your shoulders and realize you just have to make the choices that make sense to you, and find ways to make this life meaningful and fun. Iíve spent too much time in utter despair about humanity and realized it got me nowhere. Hobbies definitely help to distract you if nothing else.

I would care less if the deniers didn't impact me.

...but when you have people that know that you have totally shut down your life to try to get your family through this and they won't wear a mask around you.

Or in disc golf space, the people that see you playing by yourself and wearing a mask on course and come up to talk to you, won't give you your space, etc.

DavidSauls 12-11-2020 09:24 AM

I just have to lean on the Serenity Prayer, a lot. It's clear at this point that I'm not going to educate the covidiots, locally or in authority. If they don't understand by now, they're not going to. So getting angry about their endangering me or people I love, or the damage they do to the broader world I live in, doesn't change it. So I try to tone the anger down to dismay and disgust, and like any other infection, hope to ride out the stupidity epidemic.

Riverdog 12-11-2020 09:28 AM

I kind of fall more in line with Frank Costanza's recitation of SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!![emoji106][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCready 12-11-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3667901)
I would care less if the deniers didn't impact me.

...but when you have people that know that you have totally shut down your life to try to get your family through this and they won't wear a mask around you.

Or in disc golf space, the people that see you playing by yourself and wearing a mask on course and come up to talk to you, won't give you your space, etc.

Youíre definitely right, of course. Totally justified in feeling that way. I guess my mindset has become a bit unhealthy even if itís working to help me cope. Wife and I have been in our bubble here at home for so long that it feels normal. Working from home, having everything delivered. Now the tree and all the decorations are up and Iíve got the Christmas spirit. So I see the death toll rising every day and it almost feels like itís happening somewhere else. I see people out there denying the virus and living their lives normally, and unfortunately Iím kind of rooting for them to die. I know thatís wrong but if we come out of this with fewer stupid people, that canít be a terrible thing for humanity, right? Especially if they never had a chance to reproduce.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! :hfive:

jakebake91 12-11-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3667924)
Youíre definitely right, of course. Totally justified in feeling that way. I guess my mindset has become a bit unhealthy even if itís working to help me cope. Wife and I have been in our bubble here at home for so long that it feels normal. Working from home, having everything delivered. Now the tree and all the decorations are up and Iíve got the Christmas spirit. So I see the death toll rising every day and it almost feels like itís happening somewhere else. I see people out there denying the virus and living their lives normally, and unfortunately Iím kind of rooting for them to die. I know thatís wrong but if we come out of this with fewer stupid people, that canít be a terrible thing for humanity, right? Especially if they never had a chance to reproduce.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! :hfive:

Right, wrong, or other......I don't disagree with this. We haven't been in quite the same bubble....wife nor I can work from home. But we go absolutely nowhere that isn't completely necessary. But yes. I can get behind a world with less stupid people!!!!

txmxer 12-11-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3667558)
What I find funny is the real wackos canít resist the urge to just unload their nonsense on you.

New word: Conspirarrhea

I googled up some "what you need to know about the vaccine". Good info on the CDC page:

Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines

But, they didn't ask the question I was really wondering about and that is if you are COVID positive and showing signs of illness, will taking the vaccine help to treat an active infection?

I would think it might if it could promote production of antibodies, but not sure if it would be too late once a person is symptomatic?

JuanA 12-11-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3667954)
New word: Conspirarrhea

I googled up some "what you need to know about the vaccine". Good info on the CDC page:

Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines

But, they didn't ask the question I was really wondering about and that is if you are COVID positive and showing signs of illness, will taking the vaccine help to treat an active infection?

I would think it might if it could promote production of antibodies, but not sure if it would be too late once a person is symptomatic?

Good question. I hadn't really thought about it until you asked, but I guess I've always thought of it as a vaccine and not an antidote.

ejvogie 12-11-2020 11:37 AM

In general, vaccines do not behave that way. IIRC

Note - I am NOT a doctor. Do NOT take medical advice from random frolfers on a disc golf website.

dehaas 12-11-2020 11:41 AM

I don’t know if getting vaccinated while infected would help?

Gotta figure it takes your body some time to respond to the vaccine, and if you’re presently infected your body is already starting that process? AKA your body will get the job done on its own before the vaccine can begin to assist?

I would assume still suggested to get it though to prevent reinfection down the road.

txmxer 12-11-2020 11:44 AM

That's what I was thinking particularly if one is already symptomatic. I would think if a person is asymptomatic, the vaccine might be beneficial.

jakebake91 12-11-2020 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This cracked me up....also very true!

Monocacy 12-11-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3667954)

From what I read it takes about 2 weeks to produce a good antibody response after vaccination. If someone is already infected, the outcome of the infection is likely before 2 weeks.

JedV 12-11-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3667899)
ricky posted a bunch of videos to his story a couple days ago, no longer viewable as far as I know. these pictures are from the instagram account of the sister that attended the wedding with Uli

Whoops.

Social Media will be the downfall of modern society :|

Jay Dub 12-11-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3667975)
This cracked me up....also very true!

I saw one on Facebook but comparing it to hot dogs. :thmbup:

Hampstead 12-11-2020 11:23 PM

I take mask wearing seriously. I have never walked into a gas station while forgetting a mask. I've been in a small town where nobody was wearing one and endured funny looks while I had one on. That said, I was at my local park today, walking my dog without a mask on. Because I was outside and far from anyone else. Almost everyone I saw out walking had a mask on. People drove by wearing a mask in their cars. I believe the science. I wear a mask. But, walking alone in the woods is a maskless space for me and I have no interest in debating it.

ThrowaEnvy 12-11-2020 11:50 PM

I am so tired of wearing a mask, my left ear is sore. I love getting outside or on a job solo where I don't need it. It made fixing a leaky Hottub in chillish weather worthwhile, except for the getting wet and cold part.

I find if I pop into a job and I'm wearing a mask other people are like hold on let me get mine. Pretty mask friendly around here! :)

robdeforge 12-12-2020 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3668212)
I am so tired of wearing a mask, my left ear is sore. I love getting outside or on a job solo where I don't need it. It made fixing a leaky Hottub in chillish weather worthwhile, except for the getting wet and cold part.

I find if I pop into a job and I'm wearing a mask other people are like hold on let me get mine. Pretty mask friendly around here! :)

Re: sore ear. Maybe something like these would help?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CN5V2TW?

ru4por 12-12-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3668212)

There are definitely all kinds of masks now available. I have bought a few that ended up sucking, mostly online, where they looked promising. But, I have now settled on about 5 that are large enough to be comfortable and safe enough to wear for most purposes. One in the car, one in my golf bag, one in my disc golf bag, two in a wash rotation/home use. I also have and use my Discraft Ledgestone neck gaiter. It is an awful mask, too thin to offer much protection, but I use it outdoors when someone gets into my space. It generally will take me 15 seconds to a minute or so, to get them out of my space...so it is fairly effective. Besides, it is a great way to keep my neck warm for rounds and have it ready in a flash for knucklehead drive ups.

ThrowaEnvy 12-12-2020 07:07 PM

Yeah my masks are decent, only two layer but from the BC construction safety Association.. Comfy really, my woman stole 3.. I have a dozen and bought a bunch for the guys. I didn't notice really until I started pushing 5-6 days a week. And it's two months of that.. It's just a repetitive strain thing, like wearing a hard hat or workbelt too long. I hang mine on the shifter in my vehicles.

I guess I just need to take more weekends off.

ru4por 12-12-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3668507)
Yeah my masks are decent, only two layer but from the BC construction safety Association.. Comfy really, my woman stole 3.. I have a dozen and bought a bunch for the guys. I didn't notice really until I started pushing 5-6 days a week. And it's two months of that.. It's just a repetitive strain thing, like wearing a hard hat or workbelt too long. I hang mine on the shifter in my vehicles.

I guess I just need to take more weekends off.

Spending more than a couple hours in a mask is brutal. I don't care how you slice it. I would go outside every few hours just to spend a few moments relishing oxygen.

Man, I cannot imagine the anguish of having COVID threaten to make you feel that way....perhaps permanently. Another great irony of the deniers. Don't want to be told to suffer a mask, but willing to sentence others to a lifetime suffering of it.

Jay Dub 12-12-2020 07:24 PM

I might have "picked a bad year to stop sniffing glue" but it was a good year to retire with all this going on. :thmbup:

DavidSauls 12-12-2020 07:25 PM

In the realm of Covid and disc golf, the local college team runs an annual event at our course, as a fundraiser for the team. It's in doubt this year, as the school may not authorize it.

Which is understandable. Yet I can't help but think, that whatever those college kids are doing on a regular weekend, it's probably much more hazardous than running or playing in a disc golf tournament.

Monocacy 12-12-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3668516)
. . . Yet I can't help but think, that whatever those college kids are doing on a regular weekend, it's probably much more hazardous than running or playing in a disc golf tournament.

College students? Probably studying, right? How dangerous could that be? ;)

ThrowaEnvy 12-12-2020 07:51 PM

Yeah but that's the problem is not the disc golf, it's the other activities. What if there were viable CoVid damage lawsuits? Reckless endangerment kinda thing.. Would that work?

We've got some teepads that are tight, I made it out for skins for first time in months. People that I respect and are concerned were accidentally getting too close too often. I saw them talk forwards instead of to, but even intelligent people aren't perfect, running an event would get you fined here. Or having too big a gathering...

We tried the carrot..

Meet big Oakay... the Christmas Stick!!!

hiflyer 12-12-2020 08:32 PM

I've come to realize another benefit to masks. Theres the obvious personal and social health benefits, the accentuating of the eyes, and being able to mumble things more discreetly. Today I realized my mask makes a pretty good odor barrier. As I walking to a store, I was applying my mask. As soon as I put it on, I could barely smell the pizza from the shop next door. It made me wonder how stank some of the people I've encountered actually were.

JedV 12-12-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer (Post 3668543)
I've come to realize another benefit to masks. Theres the obvious personal and social health benefits, the accentuating of the eyes, and being able to mumble things more discreetly. Today I realized my mask makes a pretty good odor barrier. As I walking to a store, I was applying my mask. As soon as I put it on, I could barely smell the pizza from the shop next door. It made me wonder how stank some of the people I've encountered actually were.

On more than one occasion, I've noticed how bad my own breath was... Then I realized that with everyone else around me wearing their own masks, they weren't going to smell it :p

Nova P 12-12-2020 09:37 PM

I'm just bummed that years ago I lost the M17 gas mask that my weird Marine brother-in-law gave me. I'd honestly feel a lot safer in that mofo than with a little bit of fabric.

Monocacy 12-12-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nova P (Post 3668565)
I'm just bummed that years ago I lost the M17 gas mask that my weird Marine brother-in-law gave me. I'd honestly feel a lot safer in that mofo than with a little bit of fabric.

If the M17 gas mask has an exhalation valve it will protect you but not those around you. Last time I had a doctor's appointment they wouldn't let me in with a mask that had an exhalation valve.

Nova P 12-12-2020 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3668571)
If the M17 gas mask has an exhalation valve it will protect you but not those around you. Last time I had a doctor's appointment they wouldn't let me in with a mask that had an exhalation valve.

Way ahead of you. I'd planned to fit that with a filter too. Unfortunately, I have no idea where the fool thing is, and I don't have a lot of places for things to be, so it's likely lost.