Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

jakebake91 12-27-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3673171)
1 in 1000 Americans have died a premature death because of COVID :(

And the worst part? A way to large percentage of our population thinks that number is no big deal.

joecoin 12-27-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3673295)
So, .1% still a long way to go.

Well come on mike, do your part!

dysmike 12-27-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoin (Post 3673422)
Well come on mike, do your part!

Nah, I'll leave it to you to be a 1%er.

DG_player 12-27-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3673171)
1 in 1000 Americans have died a premature death because of COVID :(

And 999 in 1000 Americans have lost a year of their lives.

ejvogie 12-27-2020 10:15 PM

Don't think I lost a year, but I did have to move my vacation to somewhere not Niagara Falls. I'll live.

paul2432 12-28-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673483)
And 999 in 1000 Americans have lost a year of their lives.

And your point is???

At least they're still alive to complain about the pandemic. I'd rather have lost a year and made some sacrifices than my life. Tough choice :wall:

dysmike 12-28-2020 01:11 PM

He's inconvenienced. Wahmbulance on the way.

ru4por 12-28-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673483)
And 999 in 1000 Americans have lost a year of their lives.

Nope, COVID has cost 1000 out 1000 Americans a lost year of their lives....in your perception of lost time.

My year has been different, albeit sometime difficult, but far from lost. Losing a year would be completely on me, my choice. This pandemic has only dictated what i do in my life, not whether or not I live it to the fullest.

DanJon 12-28-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673483)
And 999 in 1000 Americans have lost a year of their lives.


5 bucks says this guy was an "All Lives Matter" bum.

RowingBoats 12-28-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673483)
And 999 in 1000 Americans have lost a year of their lives.

This is some distilled derp right here. I can extrapolate your entire derpy personality just from this like a fractal.

DG_player 12-28-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul2432 (Post 3673550)
And your point is???

At least they're still alive to complain about the pandemic. I'd rather have lost a year and made some sacrifices than my life. Tough choice :wall:

It's just a simple observation that the costs of the pandemic go well beyond the people who have died. Kids losing a year of education, people losing their jobs, old people living in isolation, etc.

Sorry, didn't realize the comment was going to trigger everyone.

DG_player 12-28-2020 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3673620)
Losing a year would be completely on me, my choice.

I don't see the choice.

I haven't seen a large portion of my extended family. I've seen very few of my friends outside of limited distanced settings. My kids have missed a year of growth, because they can't attend any of their activities and can't have normal social interactions at the playground or with friends.

I'm not sure what choice you think I had unless you mean choosing between being responsible and doing my part or choosing not to care.

air show 12-28-2020 11:01 PM

What has been even more wearisome than the pandemic this year is watching the battle between good and evil. I believe the tide is turning and the good, aka "intelligent people" are starting to be heard once again. Watching many heros moving to the forefront now confirms my faith in humanity... for this reason it has been an incredible year.

ru4por 12-29-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673721)
I don't see the choice.

I haven't seen a large portion of my extended family. I've seen very few of my friends outside of limited distanced settings. My kids have missed a year of growth, because they can't attend any of their activities and can't have normal social interactions at the playground or with friends.

I'm not sure what choice you think I had unless you mean choosing between being responsible and doing my part or choosing not to care.

It can be very hard. Life is full of hurdles, some emotionally challenging, some economically challenging.... it is your job to make the best of it. As a parent, it is your job to fill the void left by the educational system, your job to entertain and recreate your children. It is up to each of us individually, as to what we make out of one of the most difficult challenges of our lives.

Please don't think I am making light of any of it. This is a once in a lifetime global crisis. Things have changed, some will never be the same. I just don't see the year as lost. It has been the opportunity to really change and fight through some huge adversity. Those are things that I see as my choice.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Nothing worthwhile is easy. Your ability to overcome unfavorable situations will provide you with time to demonstrate your true strength and determination for success. Always set your standards high, your greatest achievements lie within the infinite feats you achieve in your life."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

robdeforge 12-29-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673711)
Sorry, didn't realize the comment was going to trigger everyone.

"too many people have died :("
"yea well the people that didn't die have it bad too!!!"

you have to be an idiot or a troll to not realize that second line, presented as you did, is :thmbdown:

even though i am NOT excited about biden's presidency in a lot of ways, i can't &*^%()% wait for him to assume control of the fight against covid. it's so sad we've had to put up with an incompetent response for this long but hopefully things like this indicate that may change - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/28/bide...isor-says.html

JuanA 12-29-2020 10:25 AM

I've only lost a year of normalcy. I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

chevis 12-29-2020 11:01 AM

https://apurplelife.com/wp-content/u...AM-300x225.png

Monocacy 12-29-2020 11:37 AM

Golfer Greg Norman, describing his experience with COVID-19:

Quote:

I am fit and strong and have a high tolerance for pain but this virus kicked the crap out of me like nothing I have ever experienced before. Muscle and joint pain on another level. Headaches that feel like a chisel going through your head scrapping little bits off each time, fever, muscles that just did not want to work like yesterday walking my dog Apollo my quads and hip flexors just did not want to work due to fatigue. Then my taste failed where beer tastes bad and wine the same. And finally at times struggling with memory of names and things.

ru4por 12-29-2020 01:37 PM

We have talked about this a bit, in this thread. Things are bad, but could be very much worse. COVID could have been a lot more contagious, a lot more deadly and a lot more difficult to treat and vaccinate. Pandemics are not going away, being a matter of when, not if. Scary stuff. Here is an article that touches on that idea, but also has some nice numbers to ponder.

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/wh...?siteid=yhoof2

roggenb3 12-29-2020 02:19 PM

Somehow I am not confident that we learned our lesson for next time well enough.

RowingBoats 12-29-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3673721)
I don't see the choice.

I haven't seen a large portion of my extended family. I've seen very few of my friends outside of limited distanced settings. My kids have missed a year of growth, because they can't attend any of their activities and can't have normal social interactions at the playground or with friends.

I'm not sure what choice you think I had unless you mean choosing between being responsible and doing my part or choosing not to care.

Ah, yes. Of course. On one hand the government enforcing mask mandates, social distancing, and quarantines is an abusive violation of your individual liberties. On the other, your child being home from public schooling completely eliminates development, because it would be impossible for you to implement your autonomous faculties to find a way to make this situation into a productive learning environment.

Interesting.

DavidSauls 12-29-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3673927)
Somehow I am not confident that we learned our lesson for next time well enough.

I learned mine. Next time I read of a mysterious illness spreading rapidly, I'm flying to New Zealand while there's still time. With luck, travel bans will hit and I'll be stranded there.

Innova63 12-29-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3673927)
Somehow I am not confident that we learned our lesson for next time well enough.

Unfortunately, those that need to learn this lesson the most, are unwilling...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3673940)
I learned mine. Next time I read of a mysterious illness spreading rapidly, I'm flying to New Zealand while there's still time. With luck, travel bans will hit and I'll be stranded there.

Sounds like a good plan!

jakebake91 12-29-2020 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3673927)
Somehow I am not confident that we learned our lesson for next time well enough.



I share that concern!

DG_player 12-30-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowingBoats (Post 3673933)
Ah, yes. Of course. On one hand the government enforcing mask mandates, social distancing, and quarantines is an abusive violation of your individual liberties. On the other, your child being home from public schooling completely eliminates development, because it would be impossible for you to implement your autonomous faculties to find a way to make this situation into a productive learning environment.

Interesting.

First off derp, I have taken steps well beyond what the government has asked. I would be willing to bet that I've done more to minimize spread than 90% of the people posting here. If everyone conducted themselves like me this would all be over.

Secondly, you clearly don't have a kid if you think the only thing you get from schooling is book education, especially for small children. No parent can recreate the social development young kids get from interacting with their peers.

Finally, take your derpy comments to twitter or some other appropriate platform. This is DGCR, we have civil conversations here.

joecoin 12-30-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3673927)
Somehow I am not confident that we learned our lesson for next time well enough.


You make it sound (to me) as though this is over. My gut tells me otherwise.

We've only just begun.

roggenb3 12-30-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoin (Post 3674214)
You make it sound (to me) as though this is over. My gut tells me otherwise.

We've only just begun.

No, no. Not over. But fortunately we can now at least see the light at the tunnel's end. Assuming enough people here take the vaccine, which is a legit concern. But still, I think there's more hope now than anytime in the last 9 months. Maybe just because of the calendar turn.

My fear is that it could have been much deadlier, and the response would not have changed.

Like idk what the threshold is for the stupid. How deadly and contagious would a pandemic need to be for the untold millions of stupid to not deny it, or for the apathetic to not dismiss basic regulations just because?

dysmike 12-30-2020 09:00 AM

It's gonna take most of 2021 for the vaccine to be 100% available. Actually, at the current rate longer. Because we're still insisting we don't see the ghost, I believe 2021 will be more of the same. Since we have people who now believe that since a vaccine has been created, we don't need to do anything more, it may well just become worse.

DavidSauls 12-30-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3674237)
It's gonna take most of 2021 for the vaccine to be 100% available. Actually, at the current rate longer. Because we're still insisting we don't see the ghost, I believe 2021 will be more of the same. Since we have people who now believe that since a vaccine has been created, we don't need to do anything more, it may well just become worse.

All true, but I'm hoping that the benefits of the vaccinated will offset the complacency.

Even with a partially-vaccinated vaccine, we should see benefits. When 25% are immune, we'll see a reduction in hospitalizations, etc., from the same number of infections. If the vaccinated also don't spread it, or don't spread it at the same rate (unproven), then a portion of the population being immune and non-spreaders will also slow the spread.

My hope is that these reductions will reduce the damage more than the covidiots can increase it.

dysmike 12-30-2020 09:30 AM

Only 10% of the promised (timelined) vaccinations have been delivered, so far. We're way behind schedule, so a long.. long way from 25% of the total population being vaccinated.

ray1970 12-30-2020 10:15 AM

Looks like my state is getting a jump on things and kicking off Covid 2.0.

Coming soon to your location.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/h...0-fe009324d7fd

dysmike 12-30-2020 10:27 AM

Which means that it's already a community spread virus, most likely well outside of Colorado at this point.

ray1970 12-30-2020 11:00 AM

Just saw this. Might require some extra attention to social distancing.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/supe...231115597.html

RowingBoats 12-30-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3674180)
First off derp, I have taken steps well beyond what the government has asked. I would be willing to bet that I've done more to minimize spread than 90% of the people posting here. If everyone conducted themselves like me this would all be over.

Secondly, you clearly don't have a kid if you think the only thing you get from schooling is book education, especially for small children. No parent can recreate the social development young kids get from interacting with their peers.

Finally, take your derpy comments to twitter or some other appropriate platform. This is DGCR, we have civil conversations here.

Looks like I may have misinterpreted you, and shouldn't jump in like that anyways even if I didn't.

I apologize.

NeverLostAdisc 12-30-2020 12:26 PM

Flu cases vanish. Hmm I wonder what happened to the flu. Couldn't possibly be reported as covid cases now because I trust what the government tells me. They have my best interests in mind.

Jay Dub 12-30-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverLostAdisc (Post 3674323)
Flu cases vanish. Hmm I wonder what happened to the flu. Couldn't possibly be reported as covid cases now because I trust what the government tells me. They have my best interests in mind.

Fill us in with more than a conspiracy laden comment. Saying this type of sh!t is easy. Truly researching the data is what people like you seem to not have a clue about.

dysmike 12-30-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3674331)
Fill us in with more than a conspiracy laden comment. Saying this type of sh!t is easy. Truly researching the data is what people like you seem to not have a clue about.

There is no data. Only accusations that are impossible to disprove because the target will continually shift.

roggenb3 12-30-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverLostAdisc (Post 3674323)
Flu cases vanish. Hmm I wonder what happened to the flu. Couldn't possibly be reported as covid cases now because I trust what the government tells me. They have my best interests in mind.

Politics forum please, OMD.

JuanA 12-30-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverLostAdisc (Post 3674323)
Flu cases vanish. Hmm I wonder what happened to the flu. Couldn't possibly be reported as covid cases now because I trust what the government tells me. They have my best interests in mind.



Flu rate slowing was something that was anticipated awhile ago. It only made sense with masks and social distancing.

Quote:

Social distancing measures aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus could also help reduce flu transmission this fall, according to public health experts. But Caroline Buckee of Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health says itís still important for people to get a flu shot.
Coronavirus social distancing measures could slow flu, too

Jay Dub 12-30-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3674340)
Flu rate slowing was something that was anticipated awhile ago. It only made sense with masks and social distancing.



Coronavirus social distancing measures could slow flu, too

^^^ Right, this isn't new. The info has been out there for a while.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.