Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Hampstead 01-04-2021 11:33 AM

Did you explain that you were doing research for DGCR?

ru4por 01-04-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3676456)
Did you explain that you were doing research for DGCR?

How do you think I got the golden ticket? :p

Halcón 01-04-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3676436)
I still have some feelings of guilt, in that I am even availed of the opportunity to get the vaccination at this point.

This is where I was at, and why I decided to wait on the vaccine. I had the chance to be one of the first in line, but felt guilty, especially since I already had Covid, and likely (hopefully!) have some leftover immunity. Little did I know that the distribution would be bungled, and the dose that I saved for someone's grandma may go to waste.

jakebake91 01-04-2021 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3676332)
My wife has a fairly large social bubble due to work, she's noticed people saying they won't take the vaccine due to the hyperbole surrounding side effects.

I'm hearing this everywhere too. Even people (that I trust) have told me that their primary care docs are telling them to wait "to make sure it's say". My wife works side by side with doctors, many of whom are leery about getting it too. If this keeps up, nobody is going to get this dam thing......

Did I miss something? Were the trials frought with terrible side effects? Did a team of highly trained scientists declare this an iffy idea? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I trust everything just cuz I'm told to. But where are these people getting this information? I'm not surprised to hear dumb@sses on the interwebs spewing nonsense.....but medical professionals too?

DiscFifty 01-04-2021 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3676601)
But where are these people getting this information? I'm not surprised to hear dumb@sses on the interwebs spewing nonsense.....but medical professionals too?

I've seen hacks of this article mentioned in a few places. Makes for a nice scary headline for those bent on ignoring the "2" in the article.

https://wpta21.com/2020/12/10/2-uk-p...-side-effects/

BogeyNoMore 01-04-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3676447)
I got caught poking around and the lady got a bit squirrely.

She prolly just thought,

"Well, he sure looks like a shady character. Better see what he's up to."

:p

JedV 01-04-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3676579)
This is where I was at, and why I decided to wait on the vaccine. I had the chance to be one of the first in line, but felt guilty, especially since I already had Covid, and likely (hopefully!) have some leftover immunity. Little did I know that the distribution would be bungled, and the dose that I saved for someone's grandma may go to waste.

...And how are you positioned to have been one of the first in line??

robdeforge 01-05-2021 07:20 AM

https://i.imgur.com/buq2T1u.mp4

ru4por 01-05-2021 11:35 AM

This is the nightmare. Freaking LA is getting hammered. As a former EMT and a nurse, this freaks me out.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-crisis-point

jakebake91 01-05-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3676854)
This is the nightmare. Freaking LA is getting hammered. As a former EMT and a nurse, this freaks me out.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-crisis-point

That is absolutely utterly horrifying.

BogeyNoMore 01-05-2021 03:57 PM

As sad as the situation is, it simply doesn't have to be this bad. People just need to mask up and avoid unnecessary social proximity with people they aren't living with, and thoroughly was their hands before they leave home, and as soon as they return home.

We need to limit the spread until most people have been vaccinated. If we keep doing what were doing, we're gonna decimate the medical workforce in the hardest hit areas, which will surely cost lives.

Brodysseus 01-05-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3676953)
As sad as the situation is, it simply doesn't have to be this bad.

You're right.

But people won't do this.

American society, at least a large enough subsection of it, has proven time and time again during this pandemic to be incapable of taking small steps for public health and the greater good.

DG_player 01-05-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodysseus (Post 3677007)
You're right.

But people won't do this.

American society, at least a large enough subsection of it, has proven time and time again during this pandemic to be incapable of taking small steps for public health and the greater good.

Sadly that seems to be the case, regardless of where you live. California has some of the most strict rules in the country and they're still suffering terringbly. People wear their masks to the store but break the most fundamental rule in private which is don't go around other people.

Initially I was very skeptical and critical of the byzantine European lockdowns. It didn't make any sense to me why you couldn't take your family to the park or elsewhere to get some safe socially distanced outdoor activity. At this point it's become very clear why it's necessary. The only way to make sure everyone is following the rules is too police all movement, because there's no way to be sure someone isn't headed to the park rather than to visit friends or family.

DG_player 01-05-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Kudos to you for opting out. I think it's absolutely criminal that they're vaccinating people who have already had Covid. I was listening to a vaccine Q&A on the radio today and caller was asking if it was safe to get vaccinated since she had just recovered from Covid. All I could do was shake my head and think how you could possibly be that selfish?

DG_player 01-05-2021 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3676436)
I am under the impression (ONLY MY OPINION) that the system is getting a lot of vaccinations and are getting to the point where our frontline and hospital staff employees have been vaccinated. There does not seem to be a plan from there.

I was initially pretty skeptical and somewhat appalled by Florida's "Black Friday Sale" style vaccine rollout. At this point I'm starting to wonder if they're not on to something.

I've done a lot of research on behalf of my dad to figure out how he can get it in my state. There's absolutely no info and my doctor's office had zero either. There's no internet portal to sign up for it, no email list to get on for updates and information, it's just a complete void of information. On top of this there's reports our state has administered less than half of their doses so far. At least in florida you can camp out in a parking lot and have a chance of getting it if you're over 65.

McCready 01-05-2021 09:34 PM

I love Florida but man, it’s a different world down there. That’s a pretty insane vaccine rollout and I’m not at all surprised that’s what they’re doing. They probably have em line up outside the vape/CBD/kratom shops.

ru4por 01-05-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3677024)
Kudos to you for opting out. I think it's absolutely criminal that they're vaccinating people who have already had Covid. I was listening to a vaccine Q&A on the radio today and caller was asking if it was safe to get vaccinated since she had just recovered from Covid. All I could do was shake my head and think how you could possibly be that selfish?

I really struggled with this decision. I have tested positive for the COVID antibodies x2, 8 months ago. I am not overly concerned with getting it again. Of course, the efficacy of the tests is somewhat suspect. I am still concerned about my ability to get it again and spread it. In conversations with the infectious disease docs I know, they seem to think that the better safe than sorry path is wisest. Many, many people have tested positive x1 for COVID (not antibodies) and were sent home. I think you have to treat them as if they were a false positive. The risk is too great. The spread is too quick. Inoculate everything. There is currently far from a shortage of vaccine. Distribution is the problem. My hospital system is now vaccinating anyone associated with the system. Because they want volume and the state is not giving them the green light to move on to the elderly with comorbidity. They have to start moving the backstock.

ThrowaEnvy 01-05-2021 11:02 PM

Crazy man, I wish there was a better plan. At least it's happening and finally here!

DG_player 01-05-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3677038)
I really struggled with this decision. I have tested positive for the COVID antibodies x2, 8 months ago. I am not overly concerned with getting it again. Of course, the efficacy of the tests is somewhat suspect. I am still concerned about my ability to get it again and spread it. In conversations with the infectious disease docs I know, they seem to think that the better safe than sorry path is wisest. Many, many people have tested positive x1 for COVID (not antibodies) and were sent home. I think you have to treat them as if they were a false positive. The risk is too great. The spread is too quick. Inoculate everything. There is currently far from a shortage of vaccine. Distribution is the problem. My hospital system is now vaccinating anyone associated with the system. Because they want volume and the state is not giving them the green light to move on to the elderly with comorbidity. They have to start moving the backstock.

Your situation is a bit different.

A positive antibody test when you never had any symptoms is pretty iffy. I'm more referring to the people that have actually been sick and received a positive PCR test.

JedV 01-06-2021 12:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3676677)
...And how are you positioned to have been one of the first in line??

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3677024)

I'm still wondering what Halcon does that entities him to be at the front of the line.

I work in frontline health care and haven't received it yet. So Hal is either over 80 years old, or works in some form of health care position.

I'm sorry Halcon, but I sincerely do not buy your story.

Smigles 01-06-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3677049)
A positive antibody test when you never had any symptoms is pretty iffy.

20 to 25% of infections are completely asymptomatic, why would this be iffy?

wims 01-06-2021 07:55 AM

I imagine the death rates are going to go dramatically down once they have vaccinated most people over 70 years old. It's not like we need to have 100% of the population vaccinated to start climbing out of the abyss.

ru4por 01-06-2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smigles (Post 3677089)
20 to 25% of infections are completely asymptomatic, why would this be iffy?

To a degree, testing, much like the vaccine, was developed very quickly. It was also designed with caution, offering more false positives than false negatives. I cannot speak to the accuracy of the tests, but I am sure there is some date now available. I think DGP's comment was that, with the efficacy of the test at less than perfect and some people testing positive with no symptoms, there are certainly false positives.

Speaking to the idea of designing the test to deliver more false positives than negative. This is really about potential harm. If I test false positive, little harm is done. I continue to wear a mask, wash my hands, social distance and stay the fluck at home. False negative could impact treatment. and potentially risk life.

autocrosscrx 01-06-2021 08:28 AM

The vaccine rollout is really frustrating. We were promised vaccines very early and then have sort have been ghosted. The latest rollout moved teachers and the elderly. I get it, but it is frustrating that people (who are criticial enough that they have to continue to work even when they aren't getting paid during "shutdowns") that have to work in and eat in close proximity to others fall behind people that don't.

Halcón 01-06-2021 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JedV (Post 3677068)
I'm still wondering what Halcon does that entities him to be at the front of the line.

I work in frontline health care and haven't received it yet. So Hal is either over 80 years old, or works in some form of health care position.

I'm sorry Halcon, but I sincerely do not buy your story.

I work in healthcare.

ru4por 01-06-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3677118)
The vaccine rollout is really frustrating. We were promised vaccines very early and then have sort have been ghosted. The latest rollout moved teachers and the elderly. I get it, but it is frustrating that people (who are criticial enough that they have to continue to work even when they aren't getting paid during "shutdowns") that have to work in and eat in close proximity to others fall behind people that don't.

I think I have forgotten what your do, autocross. You are working, but no longer getting paid? Why do you have to eat with others?

Setting those questions aside, the rollout has been badly botched. I am curious to hear ANY plan. I don't know who "they" think is going to inoculate the masses. Hospital systems do not have the staff. Ours is currently dragging volunteers to work OT to vaccinate, but that is not sustainable. And is only possible here, due to lower volumes of COVID patients. Christ, they cannot find staff to work with COIVD patients, in places like LA.

Jay Dub 01-06-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3677127)
I work in healthcare.

Don't believe this.

autocrosscrx 01-06-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3677131)
I think I have forgotten what your do, autocross.

I haven't posted about it. :)

wintry mix 01-06-2021 11:21 AM

Hopefully if we get a new senate leadership money will be appropriated to facilitate a more efficient distribution of the vaccine.

Vonbeezy1 01-06-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3677131)
I think I have forgotten what your do, autocross. You are working, but no longer getting paid? Why do you have to eat with others?

Setting those questions aside, the rollout has been badly botched. I am curious to hear ANY plan. I don't know who "they" think is going to inoculate the masses. Hospital systems do not have the staff. Ours is currently dragging volunteers to work OT to vaccinate, but that is not sustainable. And is only possible here, due to lower volumes of COVID patients. Christ, they cannot find staff to work with COIVD patients, in places like LA.

Just want to chime in here regarding vaccinations. I am a travel nurse and there are so many openings right now for travel nurses to vaccinate at hospitals and in the communities. CVS is hiring so many people currently. I applied but accepted an offer to work a covid unit in SC instead for more money. My best guess is that the vaccine jobs through CVS and Walgreens will last at least through the summer and possibly the entire year.

ru4por 01-06-2021 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vonbeezy1 (Post 3677218)
Just want to chime in here regarding vaccinations. I am a travel nurse and there are so many openings right now for travel nurses to vaccinate at hospitals and in the communities. CVS is hiring so many people currently. I applied but accepted an offer to work a covid unit in SC instead for more money. My best guess is that the vaccine jobs through CVS and Walgreens will last at least through the summer and possibly the entire year.

Yeah, that certainly seems like part of the plan. Around here, perhaps everywhere, CVS is going to be vaccinating nursing home patients and staff. I just don't believe they are able to handle to volume needed to vaccinate 100's of millions of people. Drive thru vaccination sites? Convention center vaccination sites? I don't have the answer, just frustration.

Glad to hear you are not out in LA beezy. That has to be a nightmare. Here, in March/April, it was very bad....LA is beyond comprehension, at this point.

Vonbeezy1 01-06-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3677222)
Yeah, that certainly seems like part of the plan. Around here, perhaps everywhere, CVS is going to be vaccinating nursing home patients and staff. I just don't believe they are able to handle to volume needed to vaccinate 100's of millions of people. Drive thru vaccination sites? Convention center vaccination sites? I don't have the answer, just frustration.

Glad to hear you are not out in LA beezy. That has to be a nightmare. Here, in March/April, it was very bad....LA is beyond comprehension, at this point.

Pick your poison on location. Any area could be the next hotspot. SC is now state funded because the crisis is boiling up. Texas seems to be simmering down some. But from what I am seeing pay wise (which usually correlates with the demand for nurses and increased covid cases), Cali, AZ, TX, Wi, Mi, and SC seem to be the worst hit this wave.

The plan for walgreens and CVS is that they will require nurses to travel up to 75 miles a day to give vaccines at LTC facilities and other similar situations

TheOtherBill 01-06-2021 12:10 PM

Wealthy donors received vaccines through Florida nursing home

MorseLife has made coronavirus vaccines — intended for residents and staff of long-term-care facilities — available not just to its residents but to board members and donors, according to multiple people who were offered access.

multiple sources

jakebake91 01-06-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherBill (Post 3677248)
Wealthy donors received vaccines through Florida nursing home

MorseLife has made coronavirus vaccines — intended for residents and staff of long-term-care facilities — available not just to its residents but to board members and donors, according to multiple people who were offered access.

multiple sources

Who could have seen that coming?????

billmh 01-06-2021 01:36 PM

Hammerin' Hank gets the vaccination!

https://twitter.com/HenryLouisAaron/...993667588?s=20

etdefender19 01-06-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billmh (Post 3677298)

I approve of the GOAT getting priority.

txmxer 01-06-2021 02:29 PM

The failure to distribute and administer the drug is an insult to those researchers that worked another clock to develop it.

What’s more ridiculous is we still have this problem after it was initially identified weeks ago. We may need to get discgolftom to work on this. Problem solved in days.

ru4por 01-07-2021 04:13 PM

Thought I would update my vaccine story. The day I got the vaccine, I felt pretty crappy about four hours later. For the rest of the day I had a good sized headache, general body aches, malaise and non much of an appetite. My arm also hurt moderately. The following day was a bit better, but my back was killing me, the body aches were a bit better, I was still fairly worn out and the headache faded. By day three I was fine, with a slight arm ache. It is said the second dose is supposed to be worse, that will suck, but worth it.

Broken Shoulder 01-07-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3678034)
Thought I would update my vaccine story. The day I got the vaccine, I felt pretty crappy about four hours later. For the rest of the day I had a good sized headache, general body aches, malaise and non much of an appetite. My arm also hurt moderately. The following day was a bit better, but my back was killing me, the body aches were a bit better, I was still fairly worn out and the headache faded. By day three I was fine, with a slight arm ache. It is said the second dose is supposed to be worse, that will suck, but worth it.

Good luck with your altered DNA.
Should have taken my $100.

bsammons 01-07-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3678041)
Good luck with your altered DNA.
Should have taken my $100.

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but regardless.

The vaccine is an mRNA vaccine, meaning it teaches your body to give an immune response when coming in contact with a certain protein. The coronavirus vaccine does in no way affect your actual DNA; people get spooked when they hear anything related to DNA or RNA, but the vaccination does not rewrite anything in your body, it only trains it how to act when presented with certain pathogens.