Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

DG_player 02-09-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic5888 (Post 3688959)
Here is the answer to the million dollar question. Research out of Israel on the pfizer vaccine this morning shows it dramatically decreases the shedding of the virus if you contract it after being vaccinated. Waiting for the actual numbers to share. But this is good news.

That's good news.

For anyone interested here's an article that goes into some of the nuances of the issue:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/01/...inated-people/

Jay Dub 02-09-2021 08:48 AM

Ohio had under 2000 cases reported yesterday. It's been a long time since it was that low.

DavidSauls 02-09-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3688974)
Ohio had under 2000 cases reported yesterday. It's been a long time since it was that low.

Isn't it interesting how we acclimate to things....particularly, numbers. 4 months ago, that would have been scary.

Jay Dub 02-09-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3688982)
Isn't it interesting how we acclimate to things....particularly, numbers. 4 months ago, that would have been scary.

Very true. I go thru that every change of season. I feel 50 is kinda warm in the spring but in the fall it feels cold.

In this case it's a number on the way down (hopefully keeps going that way), 4 months ago it was on the way up.

ru4por 02-09-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3688984)
Very true. I go thru that every change of season. I feel 50 is kinda warm in the spring but in the fall it feels cold.

In this case it's a number on the way down (hopefully keeps going that way), 4 months ago it was on the way up.

At this point, trends are as important as numbers.

dysmike 02-09-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3689022)
At this point, trends are as important as numbers.

The problem with trends is that they shift. We saw upwards after the 4th of July.. then it dropped, then came Thanksgiving and it skyrocketed, then dropped.. then came Christmas, and well.. January was the deadliest month in AZ. (along with a day of over 12,000 new cases). That's finally dipped back, and now.. we had superbowl parties.

Really, just watching a sine wave without any subsequent change in behavior isn't important, at all.

McCready 02-09-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic5888 (Post 3688959)
Here is the answer to the million dollar question. Research out of Israel on the pfizer vaccine this morning shows it dramatically decreases the shedding of the virus if you contract it after being vaccinated. Waiting for the actual numbers to share. But this is good news.

This was my assumption. Of course you still “contract” the virus, but your antibodies immediately begin destroying it. So you might be “positive” for Covid, but at a very low viral load for a very short time, with no symptoms and negligible viral shedding. So as to Ru4por’s assertion, it seems like a question of semantics and to what extent a vaccinated person could spread the virus. Perhaps it’s possible but at a longer time of exposure in a more confined space. In any event, it would seem wise to keep wearing masks and social distancing until we’re in the clear, whether you are vaccinated or not.

medic5888 02-09-2021 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3689026)
The problem with trends is that they shift. We saw upwards after the 4th of July.. then it dropped, then came Thanksgiving and it skyrocketed, then dropped.. then came Christmas, and well.. January was the deadliest month in AZ. (along with a day of over 12,000 new cases). That's finally dipped back, and now.. we had superbowl parties.

Really, just watching a sine wave without any subsequent change in behavior isn't important, at all.

People are too stupid and selfish to do the right thing.

Jerbob 02-09-2021 08:27 PM

Would love to see a trending down wave. Four out of my six ventilated patients were on ECMO this weekend. Including one also on Nitric Oxide because the right ventricle is crap. One patient younger than me, I'm 44, is currently awaiting to be transferred to another facility for possible lung transplant, cause theirs are ruined from covid. Of course if you don't know these things, there are requirements for transplants and this patient is still trying to get the BMI below a certain level to qualify.

Hopefully, people weren't selfish around super bowl time, but prior history around Thanksgiving and Christmas would lead me to believe otherwise. Keep wearing masks, even when chucking the plastic!

ru4por 02-09-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerbob (Post 3689162)
Would love to see a trending down wave. Four out of my six ventilated patients were on ECMO this weekend. Including one also on Nitric Oxide because the right ventricle is crap. One patient younger than me, I'm 44, is currently awaiting to be transferred to another facility for possible lung transplant, cause theirs are ruined from covid. Of course if you don't know these things, there are requirements for transplants and this patient is still trying to get the BMI below a certain level to qualify.

Hopefully, people weren't selfish around super bowl time, but prior history around Thanksgiving and Christmas would lead me to believe otherwise. Keep wearing masks, even when chucking the plastic!

OK....that is all crazy. I have never even seen an ECMO machine in action. Granted, I am a med surg nurse, not ICU, but still.....the concept is nuts. Not that transplanting a lung is some kind of run of the mill idea.

People just don't know how much damage COVID can do and the long lasting, known and unknown, effects. Stay safe, man.

Halcón 02-09-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3689172)
People just don't know how much damage COVID can do

This is absolutely true.

uncle pennybags 02-10-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3689172)
People just don't know how much damage COVID can do and the long lasting, known and unknown, effects. Stay safe, man.

I'm in my 3rd month of recovery and been back to work for a month now, I still get randomly winded and tired for what I think to be no good reason. I still haven't regained all the strength I lost from those 8 days in the hospital and another 14'ish of almost no movement at home.

I have a funny feeling that this will permanently change me in ways that I'm not going to be super happy with. Well....either that or turning 43 this year :\

jakebake91 02-10-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerbob (Post 3689162)

On the optimistic side...super bowl parties aren't quite as popular as Thanksgiving and Christmas are. So there's hope that the ensuing spike *shouldn't* be as bad. But time will tell.

P.S..... As always, thanks for doing what you do!!!!

dysmike 02-10-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3689215)
I'm in my 3rd month of recovery and been back to work for a month now, I still get randomly winded and tired for what I think to be no good reason. I still haven't regained all the strength I lost from those 8 days in the hospital and another 14'ish of almost no movement at home.

I have a funny feeling that this will permanently change me in ways that I'm not going to be super happy with. Well....either that or turning 43 this year :\

It's not the being 43, here's to healing up!

hiflyer 02-10-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3689274)
On the optimistic side...super bowl parties aren't quite as popular as Thanksgiving and Christmas are. So there's hope that the ensuing spike *shouldn't* be as bad. But time will tell.

P.S..... As always, thanks for doing what you do!!!!

And on the pessimists side, there's a lot more drunkenness, high-fives, chest bumps, "thank you jeebus" smooches, multiple hands in the chip bowl, wide mouthed cheering and hooting... Essentially more vectors are present at a Super B... Big Game party, than a (usually)more subdued holiday party.

medic5888 02-10-2021 08:34 PM

I just wish everyone could see what all of us medical providers see. I see the front end of it. I have intubated covid pts bc its my last resort knowing they will probably never come off a vent. Watching people struggling to breath worse than any asthmatic or CHF patients I have ever had as 17 years as a paramedic. I can only imagine how my nurses on here feel having to stay with these people day in and day out. My 8 by 6 box for 45 min going as fast as I can down the road is rough enough. To all my health care workers on here, my brothers and sisters on here thank you for everything you do.

DavidSauls 02-10-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medic5888 (Post 3689449)
I just wish everyone could see what all of us medical providers see. I see the front end of it. I have intubated covid pts bc its my last resort knowing they will probably never come off a vent. Watching people struggling to breath worse than any asthmatic or CHF patients I have ever had as 17 years as a paramedic. I can only imagine how my nurses on here feel having to stay with these people day in and day out. My 8 by 6 box for 45 min going as fast as I can down the road is rough enough. To all my health care workers on here, my brothers and sisters on here thank you for everything you do.

Not "just the flu", eh?

Monkeypaws 02-11-2021 01:10 AM

You know, I was in Spain when it blew up in March 2020: they clamped down like nothing seen here except NYC. It worked, for a while. They are now just as bad as the US, where no, we never took it seriously.

Even where govenment takes it seriously, there is no accounting for human nature, especially folks who wanna party. Such a slippery slope, and so easily violated.

robdeforge 02-11-2021 07:38 AM

super essential travel led to the creation of this video

Jay Dub 02-11-2021 07:44 AM

^^^"They are pro disc golfers, why the hate"? :\

:wall::wall:

jakebake91 02-11-2021 07:51 AM

I just watched a fairly new (I think) Dave Feldburg video where he's touring Infinites warehouse in Utah. A few of the workers were masked, but Dave's walking around with another guy, shaking hands with everyone, no mask, no sense of distancing. That one struck me as particularly bad.

Brodysseus 02-11-2021 08:32 AM

The discgolfguy posted a story on IG in a fairly crowded bar, maybe 10% of people masked, for a putting league. No distancing from anyone, drinking and carrying on like Covid doesn't exist.

That was an easy unfollow.

VictorB 02-11-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3689515)
super essential travel led to the creation of this video

while it may not be the best decision, it is outside and there aren't additional people there like fans or whatever. I haven't masked up to golf at all, but I also have only played rounds with a few select people since the pandemic started. Risk with outdoor activities is much lower than being inside, so I don't particularly hold it against them.

Plus, this can be considered essential travel because their jobs require it - these pros make their money off of tournaments and youtube, which both help with their disc sales.

I'm not saying it's 100% morally correct, but let's be real here - there's not a lot of risk in playing a filmed round of golf with just a couple other people around.

ru4por 02-11-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorB (Post 3689558)
while it may not be the best decision, it is outside and there aren't additional people there like fans or whatever. I haven't masked up to golf at all, but I also have only played rounds with a few select people since the pandemic started. Risk with outdoor activities is much lower than being inside, so I don't particularly hold it against them.

Plus, this can be considered essential travel because their jobs require it - these pros make their money off of tournaments and youtube, which both help with their disc sales.

I'm not saying it's 100% morally correct, but let's be real here - there's not a lot of risk in playing a filmed round of golf with just a couple other people around.

I think you are right, minus the travel. They could be making content close to home. Keeping the group to a handful, minding social distancing would make this a petty safe venture. My objection is the quest to become an actual sport, yet no attempts are made by those benefiting, to make the effort to be professional. All if would take is a show of masking at the beginning and end and a bit more distancing. Maybe a quick mention of how they take the virus seriously and encouragement for all disc golfers to lead the way, to protect local golfers and courses. It is not rocket science. For the love of god, if I can pull up my mask for a league pic, I am not sure why this is so hard for a group that lives off of social acceptance.

robdeforge 02-11-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

pretty much agreed, but that's why I specified travel in my post as the thing I have trouble with.

where were all of these people two weeks ago? one week ago? where are they now? the answer is all over the country - Paige has gone from hawaii to charlotte(?) to arizona. big jerm just yesterday filmed a video with ulibarri, so now his bubble is pretty darn big cause of all the travel

edit: once again ru4por got to the heart of it better than I could :wall:

dysmike 02-11-2021 10:53 AM

It's pretty clear that most people really love the current situation.

Horsman 02-11-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

I personally feel like this line of thinking is part of the reason why covid is still not under control. Lots of people feel its ok because the numbers of people they gather with is small.

The bigger issue that I see is that these recorded rounds are showing the top pros in the sport, not social distances or wearing masks while they are in close contact with each other. I feel like it sets a bad example.

Jay Dub 02-11-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 3689604)
I personally feel like this line of thinking is part of the reason why covid is still not under control. Lots of people feel its ok because the numbers of people they gather with is small.

The bigger issue that I see is that these recorded rounds are showing the top pros in the sport, not social distances or wearing masks while they are in close contact with each other. I feel like it sets a bad example.

And it wouldn't hurt if they would promote safe COVID practices each time they get in front of the camera. All other pro sports have their top players doing it often.

Horsman 02-11-2021 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3689605)
And it wouldn't hurt if they would promote safe COVID practices each time they get in front of the camera. All other pro sports have their top players doing it often.

Its really not that hard to wear a mask and play disc golf. I workout with a mask on, I go on runs with a mask on.

zontar 02-11-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3689605)

exactly. I'm still recovering, with weird breathing, fatigue and intense headaches, all of which come and go. DON'T GET IT, folks. it's not worth f ucking with.

autocrosscrx 02-11-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horsman (Post 3689609)
Its really not that hard to wear a mask and play disc golf. I workout with a mask on, I go on runs with a mask on.

Especially this time of year. The difference it makes as far as staying warm on course is remarkable.

dysmike 02-11-2021 12:22 PM

I don't wear a mask when I'm running, or riding.. but I'm either trail running or mountain biking. It's pretty easy to maintain at least 10 meters of distance. Riding I do have one with me, and it's come in handy when others have needed help.

Hell man, if people would just wear one going into a hardware or grocery store it'd go a long way (especially since those idiots are the ones hanging out in crowded bars too)

Magnet69 02-11-2021 01:01 PM

Too many responses to read them all... Since the start of the pandemic, 11 months ago, I've played many rounds with up to 5 total golfers... The average age of the 5 is 65.5, and taking me out as the young guy, its 69... We all keep our distance, grab only our discs, and there are no fist bumps/high5s for great shots... Like many of the other people that have responded, you really need to get outside!!! I don't think that those companies are/were being irresponsible... People just need to be cautious and responsible...

R-Ogre 02-11-2021 01:06 PM

Dose 2 of Moderna yesterday. Much worse reaction for me. Didn’t sleep, headache, etc.

DavidSauls 02-11-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3689659)
Dose 2 of Moderna yesterday. Much worse reaction for me. Didn’t sleep, headache, etc.

Nonetheless, I'm jealous.

Streets 02-11-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3689689)
Nonetheless, I'm jealous.

David, how's your brother doing?

Horsman 02-11-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnet69 (Post 3689655)
Like many of the other people that have responded, you really need to get outside!!! I don't think that those companies are/were being irresponsible... People just need to be cautious and responsible...

I dont think theres much debate there, the issue is that people are not being cautious and responsible and its all being captured on film.

ru4por 02-11-2021 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnet69 (Post 3689655)
Too many responses to read them all... Since the start of the pandemic, 11 months ago, I've played many rounds with up to 5 total golfers... The average age of the 5 is 65.5, and taking me out as the young guy, its 69... We all keep our distance, grab only our discs, and there are no fist bumps/high5s for great shots... Like many of the other people that have responded, you really need to get outside!!! I don't think that those companies are/were being irresponsible... People just need to be cautious and responsible...

There has been much discussion on this in the responses here. I think most agree that disc golf can be a solid COVID safe activity with some personal responsibility. That is the key part though. Around here, we saw many courses close, due to golfers failing to practice safe COVID measures and then ignored warnings. That was back in March/April, when things went sideways here.

I hope you and your fellow geezers get to continue playing. Set the example, talk to those younger players, encourage them to practice smart play. I have stopped for a second or two on several occasions to just shed some praise on a group of players that I have seen on the course. "Hey guys. You all have a good round? Saw you guys out there tearing it up...haha. Thanks for keeping some distance, it sets a great example. Have fun, see you guys around."

DavidSauls 02-11-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streets (Post 3689692)
David, how's your brother doing?

Much better, thank you. He had a really rough time -- if he'd let us, we might have shipped him off to the hospital -- but he's back to doing routine things. I don't think he's tested himself with any real exertion yet. A few days ago he was complaining about the brain fog; I don't know if that's cleared yet. Beyond that, the details aren't really mine to share.

Until you see it firsthand, it's easy to summon bravado and say, "I'll take my chance and if I get it, I get it." It's quite different when you look down that barrel.

Jay Dub 02-11-2021 02:31 PM

Good to hear he's recovering, David!

More good news, Ohio has lifted their curfew starting this evening!

:thmbup: