Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Twmccoy 03-22-2020 03:29 PM

Some people are acting like its ebola going around. I'd almost guarantee everyone on this board has been sick with something in the last year as bad or worse than coronavirus. This disease isn't remarkably lethal, it just seems to spread easily. Any young/fit person isn't going to be ridiculously worried about becoming infected. They'll be sick for a few days and then be fine.

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

Is attempting to slow the spread of coronavirus worth tanking the economy?

R-Ogre 03-22-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twmccoy (Post 3565051)
Some people are acting like its ebola going around. I'd almost guarantee everyone on this board has been sick with something in the last year as bad or worse than coronavirus. This disease isn't remarkably lethal, it just seems to spread easily. Any young/fit person isn't going to be ridiculously worried about becoming infected. They'll be sick for a few days and then be fine.

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

China decided so.

Italy’s is tanking anyway.

Spain is following Italy’s trajectory.

Nobody has come up with a good reason why Seattle, NYC, and LA don’t look like Lombardy in a month without drastic measures.

Halcón 03-22-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

I'm going to assume you don't watch a lot of news, follow a lot of social media, or work in healthcare. Let me correct you in your statement that everyone on this board has had something worse than coronavirus in the last year.

Please read this:

https://www.propublica.org/article/a...young-patients

Quote:

“Reading about it in the news, I knew it was going to be bad, but we deal with the flu every year so I was thinking: Well, it’s probably not that much worse than the flu. But seeing patients with COVID-19 completely changed my perspective, and it’s a lot more frightening.”
Quote:

This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”
Quote:

“Before this, we were all joking. It’s grim humor. If you are exposed to the virus and test positive and go on quarantine, you get paid. We were all joking: I want to get the coronavirus because then I get a paid vacation from work. And once I saw these patients with it, I was like, Holy s***, I do not want to catch this and I don’t want anyone I know to catch this.
Pretty scary, right? Even though this is meant to scare us into action, we also have to keep a level head and realize that most of who get it are going to be fine. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to minimize the risk to those who could die from this virus.

Orioles_Lefty 03-22-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

This post is incredibly naïve and dangerous. There are plenty of stories of young people getting seriously ill and there’s also the known high risk of them being vectors. Furthermore, whatever health issues people may have had in the past individually, the real risk now is the healthcare system being overwhelmed.

thrembo 03-22-2020 04:40 PM

What's happening is unprecedented. I have spoken with people older than me and no one has seen anything like this in our lifetimes. We already have temps down hear around 90 with moderate humidity, which hopefully the corona doesn't like. Also, we have our annual reduction in population this time of year as the snowbirds head home. If any are still here and want to go home they better hurry. Looks like the redneck rager is continuing for a second day. Grant me the strength to stay away lol.

ThrowaEnvy 03-22-2020 04:53 PM

What Coronavirus really needs to do is knock out a young healthy celebrity.. and then some kids will notice..

There could be ads "If you aren't Tom Hanks you probably aren't getting a ventilator"

DiscgolfStu 03-22-2020 04:57 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETk4UtxX...g&name=900x900

ru4por 03-22-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs
, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

And here.....we have the problem. :wall:

Young people are getting put onto vents at the same rate as older folks, in the US. Your post is wrong and misinformative. You are giving no credence to the panic and social unrest that a collapse of the healthcare system will create. Flatten the curve is as much about saving healthcare, as is it is about anything.

The bolded would be criminal, the rest of the comment is just myopic and ignorant. Sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble could VERY well save the lives of many people you care about, some you hold precious.

The economy is already tanked. It is going to get worse, as the virus spreads. You not helping is going to have NO positive impact on the spread or the economy.

Dang, people have GOT to have the ability to think this through. The benefit of over reaction vastly outweighs the risks. Especially in the short term...to protect the healthcare system.

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of YOU.

ru4por 03-22-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3565075)
What Coronavirus really needs to do is knock out a young healthy celebrity.. and then some kids will notice..

There could be ads "If you aren't Tom Hanks you probably aren't getting a ventilator"

Certainly, neither of us is wishing illness or death on anyone, but you are probably right. Lose some twitch tok superstar influencer and maybe that generation would pay attention, lol.

DG_player 03-22-2020 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565067)
Looks like the redneck rager is continuing for a second day. Grant me the strength to stay away lol.

This is why we can't have nice things. Unless you're at an insanely crowded course, disc golf should be playable in a safe, low infection risk manner.

All we have to do to contain this is to reduce the number of other people an infected individual infects to below 1, instead of the 2-3 that the virus infects under normal societal rules. This is very easily attained with modest changes to our social behavior. Washing your hands and staying 6 feet from people drastically reduces your risk. The problem is, it takes the vast majority of people buying in for it to work. Unfortunately we have way too many people that think they know better, don't care, or are just plain stupid. So instead of us all being able to live somewhat normal lives and enjoy certain outdoor activities in a responsible fashion, we're going to all end up denied that in a few weeks when we're in lockdown.

wolfmandragon 03-22-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3565016)
Flattening the curve works. People are too dumb, stubborn, careless, and unbelieving to do it on their own, though.

Forcing the curve to flatten is going to destroy us.

Flattening the curve makes sense from a standpoint as to the number of beds available but it may lead to a worse impact supply chains as well as a possibility of pushing the disease into the next season. At this point we simply don't know.

I worry more about a long curve that lasts until the southern hemispheres winter months. If we take the hit now and let the virus burn itself out, then it may not spread to the southern hemisphere. If it gets a toehold in the southern hemisphere, then there is a good chance this becomes seasonal like the flu.

Hampstead 03-22-2020 06:38 PM

Local course is a multi use park. Way more people there today than I've seen in awhile. Didn't appear to be much social distancing. Each hole had large groups hanging out close together. Our group was vigilant about keeping distance. And you don't touch another man's disc!

Halcón 03-22-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3565102)
Didn't appear to be much social distancing. Each hole had large groups hanging out close together.

:|

This bears repeating:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3565049)
Simple gif showing how we can make a difference.

https://twitter.com/toby_etc/status/1241428108114190337

You could add, "This person didn't play disc golf in a big group."

BogeyNoMore 03-22-2020 07:20 PM

That gif really hits home.

ThrowBot 03-22-2020 07:24 PM

If you're smart about it, frolf can be a pretty low-risk activity. I played a fun round this morning with 2 friends. Course is 5 blocks from my house. No high fives, no standing close together, nobody came within 30' of another park user. It was also ~35°F and a fresh dusting of snow had just melted off, so I felt there was a very low chance of latent infection in the park.

One friend is a healthcare worker at a retirement community; she's very smart about avoiding transmission of disease. Other friend is a dummy. He offered us swigs out of a whiskey bottle. We heckled him good for that. I think he got the picture.

At one point we were playing this safari hole, maybe 550' or so, and dummy friend deuced it with a >200' throw in. Hyzers around a tree, clears the creek, skips of the asphalt path, $ma$hes chain$.

There weren't many other people in the park, but I guarantee you that they all heard the 3 of us yelling when that went down. It was a really great moment where I forgot about how weird the past weeks have been, didn't worry about the vast uncertainties of the future, and just enjoyed seeing an awesome throw-in with my friends.

But we were all standing 30' apart in a field. I told my dummy friend that NORMALLY I'd high-five his hand until it was bruised. He understood.

thrembo 03-22-2020 07:25 PM

Full disclosure. Today was my first 18 after a car accident back before last Thanksgiving. I have been in therapy and recovery mode and just recently got greenlighted by my doctors to start throwing again and rejoin society again. I have been sheltering in place for the last 4 months or so. At least I got one round in with my crew if this thing gets worse. I don't necessarily mind solo rounds, but was in need of some socializing.

thrembo 03-22-2020 07:31 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/3svyl9.jpg

SD86 03-22-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

CV has killed people, so we gotta respect the virus. Reasonable precautions are wise.

Having said that, I predict people are going to start having the same sentiments in the near future that you're expressing. What good is trying to not catch CV when you don't have money to buy food, much less any place to get food, much less be told to stay in your home so that you can't travel to get food?

BogeyNoMore 03-22-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565111)
Full disclosure. Today was my first 18 after a car accident back before last Thanksgiving. I have been in therapy and recovery mode and just recently got greenlighted by my doctors to start throwing again and rejoin society again. I have been sheltering in place for the last 4 months or so. At least I got one round in with my crew if this thing gets worse. I don't necessarily mind solo rounds, but was in need of some socializing.

Glad healed up enough for some activity. It had to feel good to play for the first time in months.

Hope you guys didn't hug and kiss! :p

thrembo 03-22-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3565115)
Glad healed up enough for some activity. It had to feel good to play for the first time in months.

Hope you guys didn't hug and kiss! :p

Thanks. No hugging or kissing but we did experiment with the no contact high fives and no contact fist bumps. It felt great and I did surprisingly ok. I had plenty of time to watch form videos and after 45 years finally decided to really get a distance throw and surprised myself how much further I could throw with better technique.

DavidSauls 03-22-2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

The only thing we have to fear, is fearlessness itself.

BrotherDave 03-22-2020 08:50 PM

The WHO is not a trustworthy source of coronavirus info either. They have been peddling propaganda for the CCP.

ru4por 03-22-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3565128)
The WHO is not a trustworthy source of coronavirus info either. They have been peddling propaganda for the CCP.

Please cite source.

DavidSauls 03-22-2020 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3565124)
The only thing we have to fear, is fearlessness itself.

Okay, willful ignorance too.

BrotherDave 03-22-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565132)
Please cite source.

The WHO originally said it wasn't contagious (human to human), opposed Trump's Jan. 31 travel ban, and downplayed the threat for almost a month after China reported its first death.

Jowie 03-22-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565132)
Please cite source.

Here is a pretty good article from Ben Hunt from the beginning of February:

https://www.epsilontheory.com/the-in...doctor-tedros/

ru4por 03-22-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3565140)
The WHO originally said it wasn't contagious (human to human), opposed Trump's Jan. 31 travel ban, and downplayed the threat for almost a month after China reported its first death.

That is not a source. And a long way from validating, the WHO is a Chinese Communism propaganda organization ,conspiracy theory.

Not going to say that WHO is immune from political influence, or from just making mistakes, but it is irresponsible to promote your conspiracy theories as fact....without proof.

I am curious though....how did the WHO say the virus was being spread?

R-Ogre 03-22-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3565140)

They also reported that asymptomatic transmission wasn’t an issue.

DavidSauls 03-22-2020 09:30 PM

If not WHO, who?

ru4por 03-22-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3565147)
If not WHO, who?

*whom :p

ru4por 03-22-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jowie (Post 3565144)
Here is a pretty good article from Ben Hunt from the beginning of February:

https://www.epsilontheory.com/the-in...doctor-tedros/

Interesting editorial.

DavidSauls 03-22-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565149)
*whom :p

Poetic license.

DiscgolfStu 03-22-2020 09:51 PM

Way earlier in this whole thing a guy at work was saying that the Who were warning people about a virus. Both me and the third guy there thought he was talking about the band and both wondered out loud why the Who would be going on about virus'. It was pretty funny.

trifocal 03-22-2020 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a link to what the AVMA is telling us about Covid-19 and dogs.
https://www.avma.org/resources-tools...lfare/covid-19

I've had mild symptoms since Tuesday evening ( fever/chills, headache, body aches) certainly less painful
than the flu/sinus infection I had last November and I am feeling a lot better this evening.
I threw soft discs to Frank on a hillside this afternoon, well away from people.
Felt good to be out and watch an athlete in action.

So, is hand feeding, treating or training reward risky?
I don't know, but still, I won't be going to the dog park or allowing people to be touching Frank for a couple weeks after I am symptom free.

Casual observation: Me and the dog walk often and there is definitely an upsurge of people walking dogs that I have not seen ever walk their dog over the past two years.

ohtobediscing 03-22-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjnoodlearm (Post 3564951)
If you use your gloved hand to open your car door then you have transferred germs that you touched with the gloved hand to your car door. When you next touch that handle, unless you are wearing gloves.........

Don't forget, though, that C-19 only survives about 24 hrs. on dry non-porous surfaces.

Central Scrutinizer 03-22-2020 11:32 PM

I don't think we're taking this seriously enough as a whole.

A lot of young adults still don't have fully developed brains. They often don't perceive risk effectively. So we can't expect enough of them to behave appropriately on their own for this and they will spread this virus like wildfire if left to their own volition.

...but it's not just the kids who are at fault here. As long as businesses are going to make up their own minds, too many of them are needlessly going to stay open. A lot of us don't really have a choice. My workplace is still going. We service other businesses. If we don't service our customers who are still open, our competitors will take them from us. I have 21 years at this company and have clawed my way to five weeks' paid vacation now. What the hell am I supposed to do? Quit? I can't. So I'm showing up and so are my coworkers and we're carrying on with our jobs as usual.

It's going to take the law to flatten the curve and it should have been done already. It's still not too late. I'd say the deaths we prevent will be worth the economic impacts (and it was in a precarious position to begin with). I'm ready. I have a basket, an empty field, a stack of throwing putters to work on my form (that needs it anyway), and a bunch of indoor activities too.

I implore state and national authorities to force us to stay home except for groceries, medical attention and exercise until this threat subsides. We don't want to wait until it's too late and end up like Italy, do we? They have over 5,400 deaths from this right now, and counting fast. Our population is 5.5 times more than theirs. You do the math. That's not a number I want to think about.

It's time for a lock down, in my opinion, and let's get this pandemic over with.

ru4por 03-22-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 3565169)

A lot of young adults still don't have fully developed brains. They often don't perceive risk effectively. So we can't expect enough of them to behave appropriately on their own for this and they will spread this virus like wildfire if left to their own volition.

...but it's not just the kids who are at fault here. As long as businesses are going to make up their own minds, too many of them are needlessly going to stay open. A lot of us don't really have a choice. My workplace is still going. We service other businesses. If we don't service our customers who are still open, our competitors will take them from us. I have 21 years at this company and have clawed my way to five weeks' paid vacation now. What the hell am I supposed to do? Quit? I can't. So I'm showing up and so are my coworkers and we're carrying on with our jobs as usual.

It's going to take the law to flatten the curve and it should have been done already. It's still not too late. I'd say the deaths we prevent will be worth the economic impacts (and it was in a precarious position to begin with). I'm ready. I have a basket, an empty field, a stack of throwing putters to work on my form (that needs it anyway), and a bunch of indoor activities too.

I implore state and national authorities to force us to stay home except for groceries, medical attention and exercise until this threat subsides. We don't want to wait until it's too late and end up like Italy, do we? They have over 5,400 deaths from this right now, and counting fast. Our population is 5.5 times more than theirs. You do the math. That's not a number I want to think about.

It's time for a lock down, in my opinion, and let's get this pandemic over with.

The Italian scenario scare the crap out of me. I can't imagine being put in a position that I have to decide whom to help. We are getting close to that point already. Limited ventilators and medical equipment. This has kind of been my point here all week. Are those young adults, running around ignoring all requests to help protect everyone, going to be cool when they are told that their Father is not going to be assisted to breath with a vent. That we simply have younger, stronger patients with less co-morbidity that we will save instead. That is what they have done in Italy, set an age and help only those younger.

Central Scrutinizer 03-22-2020 11:52 PM

Ohio and Illinois are shut down. What are we waiting for in Michigan?

Ohio has about 1 million more people and 1/3 the cases of covid-19 that we do.

Why are we still getting on I-94 and going to our jobs? This is insanity.

Orioles_Lefty 03-23-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 3565169)

Yup. Incremental decisions may not be cutting it. And we’re giving people too much leeway to screw up.

peabody 03-23-2020 12:22 AM

Louisiana is shutting down too.