Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Broken Shoulder 05-14-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3586669)
True.

It's weird now to not have one on. I would feel like I was offending others if I didn't have a mask on.

Exactly.
If I have a mask on I'm effectively telling everyone around me that I have considered their well-being.

Countchunkula 05-14-2020 01:38 PM

Just to offer a little context from the workers' perspective, have any of you worn a mask for 8+ hours straight?

I do it once per week when I need to go into the office and it sucks. You can't breathe quite as easily, which isn't a big deal when wearing the mask for a few minutes at a time, but it adds up over the course of the day. I usually have a headache when I leave for the day and my coworkers report the same along with coughing fits.

Don't take this as support for not wearing masks or not covering the nose. I wear a mask whenever I am near people outside my household and have worn one continuously for 12+ hour days when we are closing the books. I think we all should do the same, but I also understand why you are seeing workers with their noses uncovered. I'm a desk jockey and would imagine that the effects that I'm feeling would be worse for someone who's doing physical activity for their full shift.

robdeforge 05-14-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugular (Post 3586616)
What's the effectiveness difference? Since you don't shed anywhere near as much virus when breathing through your nose.

Is it 80% as good? 50% as good? If you could get that much improvement I'm still in favour of their use.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

why don't you tell us?

disco40 05-14-2020 01:52 PM

Reflexively shook hands with a pick-up partner. Oops. Played in a group of 4 and we were mostly mindful, but honestly the spread potential was higher than you want. I think the length of time we've been acting antisocial is starting to wear on my sense of preservation.

Mulligan 05-14-2020 01:55 PM

There is an impressively ignorant lack of mask wearing in Columbus Ohio. Like, maybe 5% everywhere that isn't in a store. Had to leave a park because it was swamped with people without masks yesterday. And I wonder why we are being looked at as a possible hot spot...

Broken Shoulder 05-14-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3586702)
Just to offer a little context from the workers' perspective, have any of you worn a mask for 8+ hours straight?

I do it once per week when I need to go into the office and it sucks. You can't breathe quite as easily, which isn't a big deal when wearing the mask for a few minutes at a time, but it adds up over the course of the day. I usually have a headache when I leave for the day and my coworkers report the same along with coughing fits.

Don't take this as support for not wearing masks or not covering the nose. I wear a mask whenever I am near people outside my household and have worn one continuously for 12+ hour days when we are closing the books. I think we all should do the same, but I also understand why you are seeing workers with their noses uncovered. I'm a desk jockey and would imagine that the effects that I'm feeling would be worse for someone who's doing physical activity for their full shift.

I definitely appreciate this.
I'm thinking of this from a retail perspective. The probability of a customer in a store for 15 minutes buying groceries contracting the virus is very small, unless someone coughs into your mouth.
Even if asymptomatic people are exhaling their virus breath in the cereal aisle, you're probably not going to get it.
However, if someone is working in that store for 10 hours, their length of time exposed is so much greater that the risk is magnified. So, if ALL customers wore masks and contained a much higher percentage of the virus behind their masks, worker exposure is then greatly reduced.

Throw it all out the window in a restaurant. If someone sits in there for an hour exhaling their virus breath all over the place, social distancing isn't going to help anything when the air movement is circulating it all over the place.

DavidSauls 05-14-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3586702)
Just to offer a little context from the workers' perspective, have any of you worn a mask for 8+ hours straight?

I do it once per week when I need to go into the office and it sucks. You can't breathe quite as easily, which isn't a big deal when wearing the mask for a few minutes at a time, but it adds up over the course of the day. I usually have a headache when I leave for the day and my coworkers report the same along with coughing fits.

Don't take this as support for not wearing masks or not covering the nose. I wear a mask whenever I am near people outside my household and have worn one continuously for 12+ hour days when we are closing the books. I think we all should do the same, but I also understand why you are seeing workers with their noses uncovered. I'm a desk jockey and would imagine that the effects that I'm feeling would be worse for someone who's doing physical activity for their full shift.

No doubt. It only took me 30 minutes to gain additional respect for those who wear them all day.

Nick Pacific 05-14-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3586638)
I currently avoid all stores, but a grocery store is something we all have to visit.

You can avoid that too by ordering online and doing curbside pickup (well some areas of the US can)

BogeyNoMore 05-14-2020 04:19 PM

Other than my home, the only buildings I've been to since late March have been:

1) 2 different Grocery stores.
2) A mom & pop neighborhood diner I've been going to for years, that I trust and want to support through this. Been carrying out 1-2 meals a week, and tipping as best I can.
3) Gas station... techically outside, but you're operating a pump and possibly touching buttons other's have.

Gloves and masks for all those. I made about eight masks out of old T-shirts, and have been washing those.

Might need to get more gloves soon... I wonder if Harbor Freight has any.

I have not been wearing a mask when I take walks or kayak, or DG. Keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in my car, in case I feel I need to disinfect my hands for some reason, wherever I may be.

Emoney 05-14-2020 04:32 PM

I went to the local h.e.b. was crazy to wait in a social distancing line of about 50ppl before they let us enter. Plastic partitions up everywhere.

First time i been to the store since this started. Was a crazy thing to see.

I wear a mask as a reminder for ppl. I feel like if i see masks, it reminds me to wash my hands/dont touch face.

I have been minimally impacted by this. I can understand that is rare. Alot of ppl out there are legitimately struggling through this.

Who knows what the next few months will hold but i think we should all still take precautions. The office life that i had seems like it will never return.

Cmon vaccine! Im glad to hear labs/companies are working together. There will be plenty of money to spread around if EVERYONE needs the vaccine.

JuanA 05-14-2020 04:46 PM

I took a detour through the mall yesterday to avoid construction on the way home, and saw PIAS was open.

Pretty tempting, but I thought "NOPE!"

Jay Dub 05-14-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3586769)
I took a detour through the mall yesterday to avoid construction on the way home, and saw PIAS was open.

Pretty tempting, but I thought "NOPE!"

A local here went to PIAS the other day and they were all out of used discs. Mgr at the store said they have been selling like crazy since the lock down.

JuanA 05-14-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3586770)
A local here went to PIAS the other day and they were all out of used discs. Mgr at the store said they have been selling like crazy since the lock down.

I keep thinking of everyone out of work right now, so that's great to hear. I hope they're all doing well.

BogeyNoMore 05-14-2020 05:21 PM

All I know is I've seen more newbs and families on the course late March and early May (stopped playing basically all of Apr), than I ever have before.


n00b hyzers... everywhere.

Guess they're hitting the local PIAS for discs on the cheap.

ThrowaEnvy 05-14-2020 06:45 PM

Look I'm not bitching haha. Well OK I am... maybe?

So I used Imgur to host that "Phase 1 be cautious " meme so I could share it with you. So far 3 likes, thank you very much boys.... It went viral on Imgur!! No longer do I have to worry whether my disc pics are a plus or minus haha. 1800+'s in 5hrs

I couldn't figure out why my phone has been pinging all day...

Hampstead 05-14-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulligan (Post 3586706)
There is an impressively ignorant lack of mask wearing in Columbus Ohio. Like, maybe 5% everywhere that isn't in a store. Had to leave a park because it was swamped with people without masks yesterday. And I wonder why we are being looked at as a possible hot spot...

I pretty much only go to Kroger and they're usually 75% wearing masks. Menard's make you wear one to enter. If people weren't wearing them in an outdoor space, I'm not that concerned. Two views of the same city.



-shrug-

biscoe 05-15-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3586770)
A local here went to PIAS the other day and they were all out of used discs. Mgr at the store said they have been selling like crazy since the lock down.

Covid is going to wind up being a boon to disc golf in the long run in some senses. LOTS of new players since many other activities are harder to do under social distancing. I have a fairly large resort in the area that has been looking at getting a course. They are putting almost all developmental items on hold but are still on board with dg because of the ability to play "safely" in the current circumstances.

ThrowaEnvy 05-15-2020 09:58 AM

https://i.imgur.com/2MWrOig.jpg

ThrowaEnvy 05-15-2020 10:50 AM

https://i.imgur.com/WwesRjO.jpg

DiscFifty 05-15-2020 10:51 AM

50cal, assault weapons at a grocery store.... really?

muptonfish 05-15-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3586939)

The obvious answer is to protect the non-believers ;)

BogeyNoMore 05-15-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3586956)

Now that's some highbrow humor, right there.

Emoney 05-15-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3586799)
Look I'm not bitching haha. Well OK I am... maybe?

So I used Imgur to host that "Phase 1 be cautious " meme so I could share it with you. So far 3 likes, thank you very much boys.... It went viral on Imgur!! No longer do I have to worry whether my disc pics are a plus or minus haha. 1800+'s in 5hrs

I couldn't figure out why my phone has been pinging all day...

Im old and have no idea what language this is.

disco40 05-15-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3586713)
However, if someone is working in that store for 10 hours, their length of time exposed is so much greater that the risk is magnified.

Man, and to restate what should be obvious, during those 10 hour shifts we're wearing that mask so our *customers* don't get sick, and many aren't returning the favor. Way of the world.

But it's also a strange new way for us to behave. All our lives, being symptomatic was what kick-started our empathy. If I'm feeling sick, I then care enough about people that I don't want them to get sick...that's turned on its ear now with so much asymptomatic spread, so it's a difficult adjustment.

DG_player 05-15-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3586610)
That illustrates a problem with re-opening disc golf, and re-opening almost everything else.

Things that should be able to be done safely, or at least safely enough to justify their re-opening, depend on people actually doing them safely. I wish I could be more optimistic that they will.

I went to Walmart for the first time in 2 months, and a big banner proclaimed that their employees were wearing masks (and implored customers to do so). Well, you can imagine the customers. But the employees were wearing them correctly.....and wearing them over the mouth only.....and wearing them around their neck....and not at all.

Restaurants here opened with strict limitations on capacity and seating separation, but people mobbed shoulder-to-shoulder outside them.

Where I live I've seen extremely high mask compliance. The only place I've seen it lax is in small mom and pop stores, and only a few. Our major grocery and gas chains have security guards who will literally throw you out if you're not wearing one (I believe they made the national news for it). It probably helps that the governor made it mandatory for businesses, so companies have much more cover to enforce it on their employees and patrons. More importantly, if you're an employee who feels unsafe because you're business is not in compliance, you can demand they comply and have reasonable protections against any retaliation.

Sadly the ironic thing is, we could probably actually re-open a lot of the economy if we had high mask compliance, yet the ones least likely to comply are the ones rushing to re-open.

Hampstead 05-15-2020 10:37 PM

Bars were allowed to reopen with patio seating only today. As you can expect, several videos are circulating of bars with packed patios. In at least one instance, police were called to shut the place down. So, no, not everyone is taking this seriously.

Broken Shoulder 05-15-2020 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3587173)
Bars were allowed to reopen with patio seating only today. As you can expect, several videos are circulating of bars with packed patios. In at least one instance, police were called to shut the place down. So, no, not everyone is taking this seriously.

Dum dum Minnesotans flocked to Wisconsin yesterday and packed their bars.
Crimony.

"We have to shelter in place for a little while to protect each other and prepare the healthcare system."

"Wah, it's too hard, we give up."

ThrowBot 05-15-2020 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3587173)
Bars were allowed to reopen with patio seating only today. As you can expect, several videos are circulating of bars with packed patios. In at least one instance, police were called to shut the place down. So, no, not everyone is taking this seriously.

Yeah, I was driving today and saw parking lots PACKED at big box stores. They should really be regulating occupancy. I can't imagine it's safe in a store like that when the parking lot is so full.

But, retailers are desperate to get revenues up. Their most immediate financial incentive is to allow as many people in as possible. So they'll do that unless legally mandated otherwise. I know that restaurants here are regulated to cut their previous occupancy allowances by half. I'd think in a large retail environment where people are constantly moving around, 1/3 or 1/4 would be better.

A few weeks back, most of the people that I saw were being pretty smart about distancing and sanitation. I thought that a gradual reopen would be safe, because people are acting smarter, and new cases in my area have been on the decline. But now seeing folks crammed into large stores, I worry that I may have given my fellow citizens too much credit.

disco40 05-15-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowBot (Post 3587189)
Yeah, I was driving today and saw parking lots PACKED at big box stores.

We're doing Thanksgiving-Christmas season numbers some days (big box in a suburban area with medium-strength measures), and we've been beating sales goals ever since this started.

Quote:

They should really be regulating occupancy
There is technically a limit in place everywhere I'm aware of, but it would be really hard to reach it. 125-150 (including employees) seems about right for something like a department store/grocer combo or home/garden superstore, speaking just out of concern for everyone's health. The actual numbers used by retailers...at least double that lol.

The cash grab is real. Several places are even cutting back hours and working their people to the nubs for an extra couple bucks (despite sales being high enough to support waaay more staff), reasoning that customers will tolerate diminished service quality, which is really short-sighted imo, but that's what do.

BogeyNoMore 05-16-2020 08:04 AM

My mom's been in a nursing home in Miami for about 10 months. She was tested Fri the 8th, and was found to be positive, but asymptomatic.

She was still asymptomatic and feeling fine when I spoke to her Wed the 13th, but developed symptoms Thu the 14th.

She sounded quite congested (but not horrible) when I spoke to her yesterday. But I kept the conversation short, because I felt guilty even making her talk.

She's 89. I'm trying not to freak out and maintain my sanity, but I really hope she's strong enough to get through this.

Nick Pacific 05-16-2020 08:53 AM

Prayers for your mom brother.

For those of you who haven't been following this doctor's work online, get on it, he's been doing the best coverage since January.


Monocacy 05-16-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3587226)
She's 89. I'm trying not to freak out and maintain my sanity, but I really hope she's strong enough to get through this.

Best wishes for your Mom, Bogey. I saw on the news that a lady who was 100+ managed to fight it off.

thrembo 05-16-2020 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3587231)
Best wishes for your Mom, Bogey. I saw on the news that a lady who was 100+ managed to fight it off.

Agreed. Hope she is doing well. This thing really getting aggravating. We are supposed to do an Ft Lauderdale trip later this month to play the new Tradewoods course and a couple of strays.

Broken Shoulder 05-16-2020 10:55 AM

Indeed, best wishes for your mom, Bogey.
Not that you could visit her anyway, but that's way tougher being half a country away.

Halcón 05-16-2020 10:59 AM

I'll echo what everyone else is saying and wishing your mom the best, Bogey. I'll say a prayer for her too, if that's ok.

BogeyNoMore 05-16-2020 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the support everyone, and I particularly appreciate this heartening bit of news:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3587231)
Best wishes for your Mom, Bogey. I saw on the news that a lady who was 100+ managed to fight it off.


BogeyNoMore 05-16-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3587251)
I'll echo what everyone else is saying and wishing your mom the best, Bogey. I'll say a prayer for her too, if that's ok.

You know Hal, she'd appreciate the prayers as much as anyone. Her religion is core to who she is as a person. To says she's in with both feet doesn't begin to convey the depth of her personal belief. I know you're not Jewish, but that's fine. It's the thought that counts.

Halcón 05-16-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3587267)
You know Hal, she'd appreciate the prayers as much as anyone. Her religion is core to who she is as a person. To says she's in with both feet doesn't begin to convey the depth of her personal belief. I know you're not Jewish, but that's fine. It's the thought that counts.

I also believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, so it works out. :)

wims 05-16-2020 01:16 PM

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...76706560_n.png

JRW III 05-16-2020 02:19 PM

As a society, we are going to need to find a balance between the economy and safety risk. To "stay at home" until a vaccine is available for mass distribution would be a worse destruction to our society than to completely open up and let the virus run its course. While not everything should open up to full capacity, we are going to need to find the "new normal".


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.