Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ThrowaEnvy 03-23-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trifocal (Post 3565161)
Here's a link to what the AVMA is telling us about Covid-19 and dogs.
https://www.avma.org/resources-tools...lfare/covid-19

I've had mild symptoms since Tuesday evening ( fever/chills, headache, body aches) certainly less painful
than the flu/sinus infection I had last November and I am feeling a lot better this evening.

Well gee man take care of yourself and Frank. Let me know how it goes... get lots of sleep and liquids.

Smigles 03-23-2020 09:14 AM

Judging by this thread alone, yes, you guys are not taking it seriously enugh.

Smigles 03-23-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565170)
The Italian scenario scare the crap out of me. I can't imagine being put in a position that I have to decide whom to help. We are getting close to that point already. Limited ventilators and medical equipment. This has kind of been my point here all week. Are those young adults, running around ignoring all requests to help protect everyone, going to be cool when they are told that their Father is not going to be assisted to breath with a vent. That we simply have younger, stronger patients with less co-morbidity that we will save instead. That is what they have done in Italy, set an age and help only those younger.

Keep in mind, italy had severe restrictions in place for two weeks now and the numbers of cases are still rising. A little slower, but still rising.

If you look at the US graph, you can see that you are at the very beginning of the outbreak and if you close everything NOW and quarantaine the entire country, it will still take 2 to 3 weeks before these measures slow down the spread. And the growth will keep happening exponentially in those 2-3 weeks.

That combined with the fact that half of the americans dont have health insurance -> you will have more deaths than most 3th world countries.

The virus shows us very well if we have a working health system, working infrastructure and politicians who can act intelligent in a time of crysis. Your health system is a joke and so is your president.

I guess doomsday preppers weren't so stupid afterall. Locking yourself in somewhere on the countriside for the next 6 months is the best thing you could do at the moment.

peabody 03-23-2020 09:47 AM

Hong Kong is shutting down again cause they let their guard down.

Smigles 03-23-2020 09:51 AM

This **** will be around tilll we have everybody vaccinated or immune. As soon as we lower our restrictions, we will have more cases again. Vaccines are estimated for 2021.

Stay at home guys, stay at home. For a long time.

Dcinmd 03-23-2020 09:55 AM

Yup it looks like the common cold to me. :wall:

https://cdn.telanganatoday.com/wp-co...na-600x400.jpg

https://www.sciencemag.org/sites/def...?itok=1HF7PBkM

ru4por 03-23-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer (Post 3565174)
Ohio and Illinois are shut down. What are we waiting for in Michigan?

Ohio has about 1 million more people and 1/3 the cases of covid-19 that we do.

Why are we still getting on I-94 and going to our jobs? This is insanity.

Looks like we are going to get the shelter in place order today. I was brought out of RN retirement today. I work full time in IT, building and maintaining the electronic medical record system used by nursing and physicians (as well as all other ancillary clinical/non clinical hospital staff).

I have been told that I will move back to clinical work full time and to transition my current workload. Really my worst fear. I am not a young man, I am not interested in working the hardest job I have ever had (by far) again. I am not interested in putting my entire family at an additional risk. Yet, my employer is not interested in what my interests are, lol.

Maybe more personal info than anyone here wants to know, but it is indeed a sign of how strained the healthcare system is already.

Jay Dub 03-23-2020 10:49 AM

Starting 11:59 tonight Ohio is shut down but they are still encouraging getting outside at safe distances.

Halcón 03-23-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565285)
Looks like we are going to get the shelter in place order today. I was brought out of RN retirement today. I work full time in IT, building and maintaining the electronic medical record system used by nursing and physicians (as well as all other ancillary clinical/non clinical hospital staff).

I have been told that I will move back to clinical work full time and to transition my current workload. Really my worst fear. I am not a young man, I am not interested in working the hardest job I have ever had (by far) again. I am not interested in putting my entire family at an additional risk. Yet, my employer is not interested in what my interests are, lol.

Maybe more personal info than anyone here wants to know, but it is indeed a sign of how strained the healthcare system is already.

Dang. You just got drafted. :(

May your PPE be plenty and your patients be light.

Stay healthy out there, man.

ohtobediscing 03-23-2020 11:07 AM

It's you and your family's lives, ru4por. Tell 'em to **** off if you have to.

Jay Dub 03-23-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohtobediscing (Post 3565299)
It's you and your family's lives, ru4por. Tell 'em to **** off if you have to.

My niece is an RN, she would never tell them to **** off. I doubt many, if any, nurse will.
There's a reason why they picked an unselfish career.

I'm not speaking for ru4por.

BogeyNoMore 03-23-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

You're in my thoughts. Hope this ends up being no more than just a big inconvenience for you. I don't know your person health situation, but you seem pretty uncompromised to me. Regardless, best of luck to you!

DatRedDude 03-23-2020 11:22 AM

disc golfers don't care for some reason, my local club feeds on facebook have lead me to this conclusion. I will be sheltering in place with my family, disc golf can wait as far as i am concerned.

ohtobediscing 03-23-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3565301)
My niece is an RN, she would never tell them to **** off. I doubt many, if any, nurse will.
There's a reason why they picked an unselfish career.

I'm not speaking for ru4por.

I was a public school teacher for 21 years and am still a wildfire fighter for another 21, so don't try to shame me.

On the other hand, none of those jobs threatened my family like this does. If I had young kids or health-compromised parents living with me, I would not come home to the family if I chose to work or I'd quit.

Central Scrutinizer 03-23-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

I work in the vending machine industry. I don't know yet if we're considered critical enough to stay open. We do stock the machines at hospitals and grocery store chains and their distribution centers.

Thoughts are with you, my friend. I still want to hook up and throw whenever this menace is over.

Jay Dub 03-23-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohtobediscing (Post 3565315)
I was a public school teacher for 21 years and am still a wildfire fighter for another 21, so don't try to shame me.

On the other hand, none of those jobs threatened my family like this does. If I had young kids or health-compromised parents living with me, I would not come home to the family if I chose to work or I'd quit.

How you took my post is on you, not me.

I stand by what I said, "boy".

esdubya 03-23-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Yikes dude. Man. This is crazy. To be clear, I'm living just across the river from you (in Canada) however I'd say a really large amount of health care workers (nurses mostly) are crossing the border every day. I saw a social media lost last night from a nurse, she was asking for masks and gloves because the H.F. hospital doesn't have enough! This is super scary, and most of my extended family is in MI. Stay safe Steve.

Orioles_Lefty 03-23-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

While this is a phrase we’ve tied to a particular line of public service, I think it very much applies here and is deserved:

Thank you for your service.

BrotherDave 03-23-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565145)
That is not a source. And a long way from validating, the WHO is a Chinese Communism propaganda organization ,conspiracy theory.

Not going to say that WHO is immune from political influence, or from just making mistakes, but it is irresponsible to promote your conspiracy theories as fact....without proof.

I am curious though....how did the WHO say the virus was being spread?

I did not promote any conspiracy theories, you projected that. Everything I posted was verifiable, in real time. They originally said it just jumped from animal to humans and that there was no human to human transmission.

I can't give you a source you would find acceptable because you're displaying cognitive dissonance and most importantly because there are almost no reliable sources of news/information anymore. All news organizations are wholly corrupt/biased/incompetent to an extraordinary degree. The only reliable sources of news are random anonymous people from the internet that you have to vet and fact-check yourself to the best of your sleuthing abilities.

You can continue to trust governments and corporations that only view you in terms of dollar signs for all of your news or you can think critically for yourself.

DavidSauls 03-23-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Not at all. I'm perfectly willing to be reminded that people are doing extraordinary things during this crisis.....when I can't do much to help, except do nothing.

Grayson 03-23-2020 12:17 PM

The best synopsis of this I have seen is the handful of 100 pcs of candy given to you with the advice that 3 are deadly poison, would you eat any of them? Heck no. As a usual rebel, I strive to be the best damn shelter in place dude around. If not for myself, my loved ones! I will not die of cabin fever, this I am fairly certain!

ru4por 03-23-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3565325)
I did not promote any conspiracy theories, you projected that. Everything I posted was verifiable, in real time. They originally said it just jumped from animal to humans and that there was no human to human transmission.

I can't give you a source you would find acceptable because you're displaying cognitive dissonance and most importantly because there are almost no reliable sources of news/information anymore. All news organizations are wholly corrupt/biased/incompetent to an extraordinary degree. The only reliable sources of news are random anonymous people from the internet that you have to vet and fact-check yourself to the best of your sleuthing abilities.

You can continue to trust governments and corporations that only view you in terms of dollar signs for all of your news or you can think critically for yourself.

Yep, I get it. Never said I did not believe the theory could be true, just not buying the conspiracy part. Never really know, though. It did send me to reading some pretty insightful and interesting opinions on the idea.

SD86 03-23-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trifocal (Post 3565161)
Casual observation: Me and the dog walk often and there is definitely an upsurge of people walking dogs that I have not seen ever walk their dog over the past two years.

Extremely cool dog, there. :thmbup:

ru4por 03-23-2020 12:54 PM

Thanks guys, your kind words mean a lot. I am so very close to retirement, but no....I won't turn my back on people that could need help. I suppose the need or want to help people is hard wired and the reason I became a nurse in the first place. I don't have children and my wife is dang healthy. I don't have any underlying health issues, well....old and fat. I am gonna dig out my scrubs and do my part. Life sure has gotten weird.

esdubya 03-23-2020 01:35 PM

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" - Hunter S Thompson

VictorB 03-23-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565346)
Life sure has gotten weird.

Understatement of the century, right there!

I know what you're talking about, about being hard wired to help people. I'm not in a medical field (though at one point I had dreams to do that) but I'm still in a service field, and really enjoy helping people out. Thanks to you and all the people like you who are or will be working hard on the frontline of this war!

Smigles 03-23-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys, your kind words mean a lot. I am so very close to retirement, but no....I won't turn my back on people that could need help. I suppose the need or want to help people is hard wired and the reason I became a nurse in the first place. I don't have children and my wife is dang healthy. I don't have any underlying health issues, well....old and fat. I am gonna dig out my scrubs and do my part. Life sure has gotten weird.

Man, you are inspiring. :clap:

I saw that 40+ people have a 0.1% higher mortality rate than 30+ people and been hiding inside ever since. They would not get me out of my doors. Going straight to the frontline with what i assume must be 60+ years is so selfless.

thrembo 03-23-2020 05:02 PM

Florida governor just announced he is NOT shutting Florida down. Individual cities like Miami are. Miami/Lauderdale is our hot spot. Several Florida counties have no reported cases and some like mine only have 2-10. Of course, the situation has been developing rapidly and I expect this will change if the situation gets worse.

BogeyNoMore 03-23-2020 05:09 PM

Quote:

I'll ask Brad to have an Oberon in your honor.
I'd do it myself, but that'd be a waste of a perfectly good Oberon. :|

thrembo 03-23-2020 05:09 PM

Also just announced, anyone flying into Florida from NY automatic 14-day quarantine.

BogeyNoMore 03-23-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smigles (Post 3565463)
Man, you are inspiring. :clap:

I saw that 40+ people have a 0.1% higher mortality rate than 30+ people and been hiding inside ever since. They would not get me out of my doors. Going straight to the frontline with what i assume must be 60+ years is so selfless.

I have the pleasure of knowing ru4por personally, and can tell you he's a straight up solid guy and I've never known him to not do what he can to help a situation.

You'll never meet a guy who's more fun to play a round with. He knows how to tell a story and always makes me laugh.

Orioles_Lefty 03-23-2020 05:40 PM

PDGA email just arrived asking that everyone stop playing.

agibson 03-23-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty (Post 3565478)

I guess that's what they mean. But, they could have been clearer.

Quote:

While we know you want to be out playing right now, we need your help to set a good example for communities everywhere. That is why we are asking disc golfers to skip the course and stay home. It is something we all have the power to do in this crisis, and while it may seem like a tall task, we are confident it is the best choice to help slow the spread of the coronavirus. This goes for the young and healthy, as well as those considered more vulnerable. We are all in this together.
After a paragraph talking about how painful it was to cancel PDGA sanctioned events, etc.

This paragraph could perhaps be understood as reflecting on the canceling of sanctioned events, rather than a *new* call to not play even casual rounds. Without much explanation apart from "help to set a good example for communities everywhere".

With Indiana announcing its version of "lock down" today, I'll have to consider whether or not to play my local course. 2-3 miles up the road. Nearest park where you'd go for a hike. I played my first local round in years about a week ago, with my family, as a measure of social distancing. Had a great time. Only saw a few people the whole time, three conservations, none within six feet.

We'll all have to decide what's "reasonable" for the sort of outdoor exercise that most "lock down" orders seem to allow, I guess.

Orioles_Lefty 03-23-2020 05:54 PM

It’s not a good email at all (I teach writing such emails) and the most important idea is buried deep in a paragraph. That sentence is clear to me, if also deeply buried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agibson (Post 3565479)
I guess that's what they mean. But, they could have been clearer.

After a paragraph talking about how painful it was to cancel PDGA sanctioned events, etc.

This paragraph could perhaps be understood as reflecting on the canceling of sanctioned events, rather than a *new* call to not play even casual rounds. Without much explanation apart from "help to set a good example for communities everywhere".

With Indiana announcing its version of "lock down" today, I'll have to consider whether or not to play my local course. 2-3 miles up the road. Nearest park where you'd go for a hike. I played my first local round in years about a week ago, with my family, as a measure of social distancing. Had a great time. Only saw a few people the whole time, three conservations, none within six feet.

We'll all have to decide what's "reasonable" for the sort of outdoor exercise that most "lock down" orders seem to allow, I guess.

thrembo 03-23-2020 06:05 PM

Up to a $5000.00 fine if caught on a beach in Ft Myers now

ru4por 03-23-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3565469)
I'll ask Brad to have an Oberon in your honor.
I'd do it myself, but that'd be a waste of a perfectly good Oberon. :|

Lol....I had to go out grocery shopping for us, my Mom and my Father in Law, this afternoon. Lo and behold, I did fall right into the hoarding mentality. I got freaked out and bought three cases of Oberon in cans.....hell, you just know. Ok, I admit it....I panic bought beer. :o

ru4por 03-23-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty (Post 3565478)

Sadly, the message is just preaching to the choir. So...all the responsible golfers, practicing social distancing will stay home. All the knuckleheads sitting 7 at a picnic table sharing smoke will still be out there. I guess I don't really have an answer to make people do the right thing. :wall:

BogeyNoMore 03-23-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565489)
Sadly, the message is just preaching to the choir. So...all the responsible golfers, practicing social distancing will stay home. All the knuckleheads sitting 7 at a picnic table sharing smoke will still be out there. I guess I don't really have an answer to make people do the right thing. :wall:

I'm not wishing ill (or worse) on anyone, but...

... could be some examples of Darwinism in action.

robdeforge 03-23-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565467)
Florida governor just announced he is NOT shutting Florida down. Individual cities like Miami are. Miami/Lauderdale is our hot spot. Several Florida counties have no reported cases and some like mine only have 2-10. Of course, the situation has been developing rapidly and I expect this will change if the situation gets worse.

how much testing has your county done?

thrembo 03-23-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3565496)
how much testing has your county done?

Not sure but I would guess not too much. We only have 2 active cases right now. And I believe they just got back from overseas.