Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

agibson 03-23-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565499)
Not sure but I would guess not too much. We only have 2 active cases right now. And I believe they just got back from overseas.

I wish my local media was even reporting the suspected origins of cases. None in my county yet (not a ton of testing... sounds like suspected cases in hospitals/clinics, waiting for tests), but neighboring counties have.

I *hope* that public officials are still contact tracing, etc. But I'n not seeing much reporting of it.

Nick Pacific 03-23-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565487)
Lol....I had to go out grocery shopping for us, my Mom and my Father in Law, this afternoon. Lo and behold, I did fall right into the hoarding mentality. I got freaked out and bought three cases of Oberon in cans.....hell, you just know. Ok, I admit it....I panic bought beer. :o

Only 3 cases??? You're going to be kicking yourself for not buying ALL of them

thrembo 03-23-2020 10:22 PM

Looks like all of our parks are completely shut down now. Luckily I have a massive empty grass field within walking distance.

ThrowaEnvy 03-23-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565618)
Looks like all of our parks are completely shut down now. Luckily I have a massive empty grass field within walking distance.

Damn son, that sucks... field work and putting practice. A broom handle will make you wicked accurate if you can hit that!

Played 9 tonight Envy, Spin and Entropy... I wish I could say it was awesome, but it was more dog exercise than anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565487)
Lol....I had to go out grocery shopping for us, my Mom and my Father in Law, this afternoon. Lo and behold, I did fall right into the hoarding mentality. I got freaked out and bought three cases of Oberon in cans.....hell, you just know. Ok, I admit it....I panic bought beer. :o

I panic bought $5000?? Ish in electrical supplies in case we can work.. And two bottles of screech!! :D

thrembo 03-24-2020 07:25 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/3ttr02.jpg

thrembo 03-24-2020 07:59 AM

Not long after I created/spread this meme this story vanished...

robdeforge 03-24-2020 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565499)
Not sure but I would guess not too much. We only have 2 active cases right now. And I believe they just got back from overseas.

ah, sounds like a west virginia type situation.

"we have no cases!"
"I think my husband has it, will you test him?"
"na he can't have it because we have no cases!!!!!"

Nick Pacific 03-24-2020 11:08 AM


ThrowaEnvy 03-24-2020 11:15 AM

Just a correction.. There may have been a DG tourney on the day in question when golfers travelled.... There was 30 and they were BALL golfers. Very happy it wasn't us.

Seabrook 03-24-2020 12:12 PM

Now that is fake news! They are the ones listening to the experts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3565766)


DiscFifty 03-24-2020 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565673)

Just glad dems have the important issues included in the virus funding bill. I never did get my obamaphone last time, there's renewed hope.

BrotherDave 03-27-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agibson (Post 3565479)
I guess that's what they mean. But, they could have been clearer.



After a paragraph talking about how painful it was to cancel PDGA sanctioned events, etc.

This paragraph could perhaps be understood as reflecting on the canceling of sanctioned events, rather than a *new* call to not play even casual rounds. Without much explanation apart from "help to set a good example for communities everywhere".

With Indiana announcing its version of "lock down" today, I'll have to consider whether or not to play my local course. 2-3 miles up the road. Nearest park where you'd go for a hike. I played my first local round in years about a week ago, with my family, as a measure of social distancing. Had a great time. Only saw a few people the whole time, three conservations, none within six feet.

We'll all have to decide what's "reasonable" for the sort of outdoor exercise that most "lock down" orders seem to allow, I guess.

Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down. NYC's quickly abandoned their strict lock down attempt for the same reason. China's not even bothering to count their deaths after literally welding people into their homes. "Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus. Keeping your distance from others, washing your hands, and disinfecting commonly used surfaces is good. Forcing yourself into solitary confinement is bad.

perklc 03-27-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3567762)
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down.

Correlation != causation

BrotherDave 03-27-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perklc (Post 3567767)
Correlation != causation

Shouting things at people without evidence isn't scientific either.

Monocacy 03-28-2020 12:11 AM

Mmmkay, how's this for sciencing things up? The reference to "policies" refers to things like closing schools, limiting gatherings, restricting mobility, etc.

Preprint article, usual disclaimers apply (and many disclaimers are included in the article).

Quote:

Because infection rates in the countries we study would have initially followed rapid exponential growth had no policies been applied, our results suggest that these ongoing policies are currently providing large health benefits. For example,we estimate that there would be roughly 621x the current number of infections in South Korea, 36x in Italy, and 153x in Iran if large-scale policies had not been deployed during the early weeks of the pandemic. . . . our empirical analysis of existing policies indicates that seemingly small delays in policy deployment likely produce dramatically different health outcomes.
The Effect of Large-Scale Anti-Contagion Policies on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic (Preprint)

Do you believe that handwashing, keeping distance, and disinfecting common surfaces will keep the number of cases that require advanced medical care below capacity? Why do you think that others disagree?

LateWesternSky 03-28-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3567762)
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down...

"Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus.

You realize the difference between when the virus is spread is much different than when cases are confirmed and deaths are recorded, right?

The exponential growth or "doubling" factor has slowed in Italy / Spain / The U.S. This is undoubtedly due to the stay at home measures. The daily amount of confirmed cases is much more flat in Italy / Spain and the increase in deaths can be contributed to the fact that healthcare systems can't keep up.

TLDR: "Stay at home" obviously helps flatten the curve of this virus and you shouldn't use today's confirmed cases/deaths to determine today's spread or exponential growth of the virus.

ohtobediscing 03-28-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565487)
Lol....I had to go out grocery shopping for us, my Mom and my Father in Law, this afternoon. Lo and behold, I did fall right into the hoarding mentality. I got freaked out and bought three cases of Oberon in cans.....hell, you just know. Ok, I admit it....I panic bought beer. :o

Heh heh---though I know you know that alcohol affects your immune system adversely (granted, mostly when drunk in excessive amounts ). My brother and I just quit cold turkey 3 days ago---my last beer was a Bell's Hopslam DIPA, mmmmmmm.

And a late apology ---I didn't mean tell them "*uck off" literally, but that you do have a right to say "no" to protect your family. Be careful, ru4. :thmbup:

ranger 03-28-2020 11:47 AM

So much bad info in this thread

Streets 03-28-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567886)
So much bad info in this thread

You mean aquarium cleaner won’t inoculate me to coronavirus?

BogeyNoMore 03-28-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567886)
So much bad info in this thread

Why would this thread be different from most other threads (or conversations in real life for that matter)? Everyone has their opinions. Pretty common for quite a few of them to be at least misleading, if not completely baseless.

R-Ogre 03-28-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3567904)
Why would this thread be different from most other threads (or conversations in real life for that matter)? Everyone has their opinions. Pretty common for quite a few of them to be at least misleading, if not completely baseless.

Oddly, a strand of RNA that exists for the sole purpose of replicating itself exponentially (or is it logarithmically? Either way it starts slow and gets really fast) doesn’t really care about people’s opinions.

Jay Dub 03-28-2020 01:28 PM

We're to the point where it doesn't matter if you think this is real or not, the people in charge do think it's real...

Woman Who Coughed on $35k of Groceries Charged With Four Felonies

https://700wlw.iheart.com/content/20...rial&keyid=WLW

wolfhaley 03-28-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streets (Post 3567888)
You mean aquarium cleaner won’t inoculate me to coronavirus?

Unfortunately not. Just drink Purell and use Clorex wipes for napkins like everyone else.

ranger 03-28-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3567904)
Why would this thread be different from most other threads (or conversations in real life for that matter)? Everyone has their opinions. Pretty common for quite a few of them to be at least misleading, if not completely baseless.

I had high hopes

Jay Dub 03-28-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567931)
I had high horse

FTFY

ranger 03-28-2020 01:54 PM

God, that's a lame joke.


Go back to the workshop

Jay Dub 03-28-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567938)
God, that's a lame joke.


Go back to the workshop

Well you seem pretty lame so I thought it would fit.

ranger 03-28-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3567941)
Well you seem pretty lame so I thought it would fit.

I always forget how basic you guys are. Thanks for the reminder.

ru4por 03-28-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3567762)
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down. NYC's quickly abandoned their strict lock down attempt for the same reason. China's not even bothering to count their deaths after literally welding people into their homes. "Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus. Keeping your distance from others, washing your hands, and disinfecting commonly used surfaces is good. Forcing yourself into solitary confinement is bad.

Come on, man. I want to believe you are smarter than this. Listening to experts and trying to do the right thing by many, is not that hard.

If you don't get that stay home orders are not to stop the spread, but to slow it down so less people die, then you are not paying attention.

Keep sick people away from healthy ones is not revolutionary science. Mostly just common sense. Join the good fight, save lives.

Jay Dub 03-28-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567886)
So much bad info in this thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567931)
I had high hopes

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567946)
I always forget how basic you guys are. Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah I can see that after you well thought out posts. :\

ranger 03-28-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3567949)
Yeah I can see that after you well thought out posts. :\

Yeesh

Go away

BogeyNoMore 03-28-2020 03:21 PM

I'm sure this is already occurred to several of you, but I guarantee it's something that not everyone has considered.

This is a particularly bad time to engage in physically risky activities, because hospitals are allocating everything they possibly can to deal with Covid-19 cases. I'm not saying injuries and other ailments will be ignored, but the system is already being stretched to the breaking point in many areas. Don't tell me you won't be waiting for considerably longer. Plus there's got to be an increased risk of exposing yourself to the virus simply by being there.

The best analogy I can come up with is this is our generation's WWII. It's going to have a widespread global impact in terms of lives, lifestyle, economics,and all of us are going to have to make some sacrifices in at least one way, shape or form.

At this point you can't compare scales, because this has only been happening for a few months. WWII occurred over the course of several years. I don't even want to think about this pandemic lasting beyond the spring, let alone years.

Now think about all our friends working in healthcare on the front lines of this battle (ru4 has been called back into active duty). They're our military in this battle.
Thank you all for your service!

ru4por 03-28-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3567988)
I'm sure this is already occurred to several of you, but I guarantee it's something that not everyone has considered.

This is a particularly bad time to engage in physically risky activities, because hospitals are allocating everything they possibly can to deal with Covid-19 cases. I'm not saying injuries and other ailments will be ignored, but the system is already being stretched to the breaking point in many areas. Don't tell me you won't be waiting for considerably longer. Plus there's got to be an increased risk of exposing yourself to the virus simply by being there.

The best analogy I can come up with is this is our generation's WWII. It's going to have a widespread global impact in terms of lives, lifestyle, economics,and all of us are going to have to make some sacrifices in at least one way, shape or form.

At this point you can't compare scales, because this has only been happening for a few months. WWII occurred over the course of several years. I don't even want to think about this pandemic lasting beyond the spring, let alone years.

Now think about all our friends working in healthcare on the front lines of this battle (ru4 has been called back into active duty). They're our military in this battle.
Thank you all for your service!

Thanks Bogey....you are a kind man and I hope to get out to play a round soon.

Have a buddy that busted up his knee up North last weekend. He was asking for my recommendations. I told him, man you are screwed. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Start on Naproxen, (reports are that Motrin is not a recommended Covid med) around the clock for a while to help with the pain and swelling. Then in a few months (hopefully), make an appointment with an Ortho guy. SMH. Getting hurt would be a bad thing, for sure.

BrotherDave 03-28-2020 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateWesternSky (Post 3567786)
You realize the difference between when the virus is spread is much different than when cases are confirmed and deaths are recorded, right?

The exponential growth or "doubling" factor has slowed in Italy / Spain / The U.S. This is undoubtedly due to the stay at home measures. The daily amount of confirmed cases is much more flat in Italy / Spain and the increase in deaths can be contributed to the fact that healthcare systems can't keep up.

TLDR: "Stay at home" obviously helps flatten the curve of this virus and you shouldn't use today's confirmed cases/deaths to determine today's spread or exponential growth of the virus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3567947)
Come on, man. I want to believe you are smarter than this. Listening to experts and trying to do the right thing by many, is not that hard.

If you don't get that stay home orders are not to stop the spread, but to slow it down so less people die, then you are not paying attention.

Keep sick people away from healthy ones is not revolutionary science. Mostly just common sense. Join the good fight, save lives.

The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical. The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though. :|

Hampstead 03-28-2020 07:06 PM

If people aren't going out, they aren't touching public surfaces or breathing on each other. It ain't rocket science.

Jay Dub 03-28-2020 07:13 PM

A Californian disc golfer just posted on Facebook that the beaches there are filled with people. So I would say one of the worse places for this break out is not taking it seriously.

BogeyNoMore 03-28-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3568058)
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical. The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though. :|

Sorry Dave, have to disagree with you. I don't understand how you can't see how greatly reducing the amount of contact/exposure people have with other people won't slow the spread of this virus.

Sure, people still need to wash their hands to reduce the spread to surfaces, or reduce their risk if they did pick it up from a surface. But avoiding unnecessary interaction is key. No one's saying one's a substitute for the other. We need to do both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3568070)
If people aren't going out, they aren't touching public surfaces or breathing on each other. It ain't rocket science.

^This.

LateWesternSky 03-28-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3568058)
Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic.

What?

Staying at home means you aren't coming into contact with anyone. Assuming nothing in your house is contaminated, that means there is zero risk.

Even if you wash your hands often and try your best to not touch your face, you are incurring some level of risk by going out in public.

I must not be understanding you. It seems like you are saying that taking a risk and trying to minimize it is better than taking no risk.

ru4por 03-28-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3568058)
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical. The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though. :|

This is the problem. This is exactly why the spread will continue to spiral out of control, too quickly for healthcare to keep up. This is exactly why a lot of people will needlessly die. Keep preaching your opinion, it is your right. But, you are wrong...and it is dangerous.

I see no way to convince you that reducing the opportunity for spread, will reduce the speed of the spread.

Perhaps I also am not understanding what you are saying?

DG_player 03-28-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3568058)
The experts in actuality have no clue if we are flattening the curve of this because there is not enough testing of the population to provide accurate data. Everything you are putting your eggs is based on epidemiological work which is highly theoretical.

You're either being deliberately deceitful or are misinformed. The one thing you don't need tests for is deaths. Italy's deaths are no longer growing exponentially. All you need to do is look at the linked chart. If it wasn't working the logarithmic scale would be a straight line, but it's not, it's flattening, and will likely continue to flatten as the measures put in place continue to have an effect (keep in mind it was only a few weeks ago Italy took drastic measures). https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/



Quote:

The "shelter in place/lock down" order is not what is flattening the curve and reducing the spread, it is a misnomer. What is working is closing borders and people keeping their distance, not touching their face, and washing their hands. That is all people can do. Staying home doesn't do anything if you don't observe those other habits because too many infected people are asymptomatic. I mean, if you guys really want to flatten the curve we can drop nukes on NYC right now before too many of them leave. I don't think you guys are taking covid seriously enough for that though. :|
I don't disagree with that you can minimize your risk and still go outside, play disc golf, etc. Honestly if you're maintaining distance from others while disc golfing I don't see how you could possibly get infected unless you're licking the chains or something (even then it's highly unlikely). The problem is too many idiots won't actually do the social distancing thing voluntarily, which is why you are starting to see all these excessive requirements put in place.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.