Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

etdefender19 10-23-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3647653)
Hard to explain something that doesn't exist.

Religious folks have been doing it for millennia. Similar to our antagonist here, the target audience isnít often blessed with critical thinking skills.

MikeK 10-23-2020 10:11 PM

Only 65 Covid 19 deaths in Sweden in the last 30 days.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ths-in-sweden/

hiflyer 10-23-2020 10:52 PM

Hampstead 10-23-2020 11:45 PM

Quote:

Simply, you cannot trust the data without knowing the data source. Remember Statista is a data aggregator and most of the time it shows up data from other sources. Those sources can be highly unreliable. So, need to do proper due diligence before using its data

Multiple source correlation is preferred please and thank you.

DG_player 10-24-2020 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3647762)
Multiple source correlation is preferred please and thank you.

How about instead of asking the the guy that cited a data source to provide more, you actually take the time to cite something that refutes it? Oh wait you can't.

You sound like the guy who was telling me everyone who died in a car accident in the past 6 months was labeled a covid death.

Hampstead 10-24-2020 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3647766)
How about instead of asking the the guy that cited a data source to provide more, you actually take the time to cite something that refutes it? Oh wait you can't.

You sound like the guy who was telling me everyone who died in a car accident in the past 6 months was labeled a covid death.

Dude cited a data aggregator. Not a source. Read the quote.

Don't blame me for what is said about Statista.

Oh wait, you didn't read my post.

Fair enough, I didn't cite my source. I just searched Statista, and found that. Is it true? Who knows? Point is, multiple sources are more helpful than one.

DG_player 10-24-2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3647768)
Dude cited a data aggregator. Not a source. Read the quote.

Don't blame me for what is said about Statista.

Oh wait, you didn't read my post.

Fair enough, I didn't cite my source. I just searched Statista, and found that. Is it true? Who knows? Point is, multiple sources are more helpful than one.

Everyone who provides Covid data is an aggregator, unless you're going to your actual county health department. Why don't you look where they actually aggregated the data from before your outright dismiss it.

Hampstead 10-24-2020 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3647769)
Everyone who provides Covid data is an aggregator, unless you're going to your actual county health department. Why don't you look where they actually aggregated the data from before your outright dismiss it.

You are a weird one, friend.

texasissouth 10-24-2020 02:07 AM

Here is another source
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/
It's interesting to note that as more techniques and treatments are discovered, and as testing ramps up to find asymptomatic cases, the mortality rate will improve, so in a way it's more important to be stringent at the beginning (which Sweden wasn't) when the mortality rate will be highest. I mean Sweden "allegedly" has more deaths from it than China right now.

It also means none of the other Nordic countries will catch up to Sweden in terms of deaths, and so they sacrificed those extra people.

Netherlands is close but I don't know if they count?

txmxer 10-24-2020 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasissouth (Post 3647772)
Here is another source
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/sweden/
It's interesting to note that as more techniques and treatments are discovered, and as testing ramps up to find asymptomatic cases, the mortality rate will improve, so in a way it's more important to be stringent at the beginning (which Sweden wasn't) when the mortality rate will be highest. I mean Sweden "allegedly" has more deaths from it than China right now.

It also means none of the other Nordic countries will catch up to Sweden in terms of deaths, and so they sacrificed those extra people.

Netherlands is close but I don't know if they count?

Good points.

On China and dataóIím suspicious of much of the data at this point.

The US may be over reporting, but I think itís likely that MANY are under reporting due to politics.

roggenb3 10-24-2020 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 3647741)

And? We just skipping over all the time before that?

I really fail to see people's point about Sweden. Admittedly, I have not been following closely. But looking at the overall numbers they don't seem like they are doing great.

Sounds like it played out exactly as you would think. They never locked down and are more lax with their laws and regulations. So their economy took less of a hit and they have more dead people.

Why is that enviable again?

DavidSauls 10-24-2020 07:25 AM

I believe their point in citing Sweden is their belief that we could have avoided the mitigation measures we've taken --- and the economic and social disruptions caused by those measures --- and suffered no or minimal consequences from doing so.

Nick Pacific 10-24-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 3647741)

What do you think is going on? Virus has mutated to a much mess lethal form? Or the case counts in March/April/May were of magnitude times higher than they are now? More experience treating the disease? Combination of all three?

McCready 10-24-2020 07:58 AM

Latitude 64
Salmon
Vodka
Ice hotel
Blonde girls
No lockdowns
Abba Museum
Meatballs

You guys have fun here arguing over the pandemic. You know where I’ll be.

Jay Dub 10-24-2020 09:15 AM

If you want to dispute this make sure to read it all first.
They make three (3) points to prove the number is not inflated.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-are-inflated/

Debunking the False Claim That COVID Death Counts Are Inflated

Now some facts: Researchers know beyond a doubt that the number of COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. have surpassed 200,000. These numbers are supported by three lines of evidence, including death certificates. The inaccurate idea that only 6 percent of the deaths were really caused by the coronavirus is ďa gross misinterpretationĒ of how death certificates work, says Robert Anderson, lead mortality statistician at the CDCís National Center for Health Statistics.

The 6 percent number ..... comes from a weekly CDC report stating that in 6 percent of the coronavirus mortality cases it counted, COVID-19 was the only condition listed on the death certificate. That observation likely means that those death certificates were incomplete because the certifiers only gave the underlying cause of death and not the full causal sequence that led to it, Anderson says. Even someone who does not have a preexisting condition and dies from COVID-19 will also have comorbidities in the form of symptoms, such as respiratory failure, caused by the coronavirus. The idea that a death certificate with ailments listed in addition to COVID-19 means that the person did not really die from the virus is simply false, Anderson says.

texasissouth 10-24-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3647778)
Good points.

On China and dataóIím suspicious of much of the data at this point.

The US may be over reporting, but I think itís likely that MANY are under reporting due to politics.

As much as you will hear the opposite (he died in a car crash but they put covid! - nonsense), the US is decently under-reporting. The best ballpark way to figure out if your numbers are correct is to check expected v actual deaths. Normally we have a decent idea how many people we expect through various weeks. We're way way over right now, which is a double whammy because normal deaths should be down with people not leaving the house and dying in car accidents

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

texasissouth 10-24-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3647792)

I really fail to see people's point about Sweden. Admittedly, I have not been following closely. But looking at the overall numbers they don't seem like they are doing great.

Sounds like it played out exactly as you would think. They never locked down and are more lax with their laws and regulations. So their economy took less of a hit and they have more dead people.

Magic line must go up

DG_player 10-25-2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3647792)

It's not enviable. Germany and their contact tracing are enviable. Asian nations that stamped it out are enviable.

It's more of a reality thing. Sweden has done as well the US, Spain, France, UK, and a lot of other countries that used severe lockdowns. If you're not going to do a good job, why not do the bad job that's least disruptive to the economy and people's lives?

As as aside, I'm curious what people think we're actually doing different than Sweden right now, aside from unenforced mask mandates? I live in a state that is supposedly in the top 10 as far as coronavirus restrictions. Honestly when I look around, most people seem to be operating like it's pre-pandemic. I see people wearing masks but restaurants are open, bars are open. I hear more and more about people getting together with family and friends. Ironically enough the only thing that doesn't seem open is most schools. I don't even quite understand why we're having the discussion any more, in a lot of respects Sweden seems to be doing more than us.

txmxer 10-25-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasissouth (Post 3647824)
As much as you will hear the opposite (he died in a car crash but they put covid! - nonsense), the US is decently under-reporting. The best ballpark way to figure out if your numbers are correct is to check expected v actual deaths. Normally we have a decent idea how many people we expect through various weeks. We're way way over right now, which is a double whammy because normal deaths should be down with people not leaving the house and dying in car accidents

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

I agree with this in general. My statement about "over reporting" is because there will be cases such as the car accident or other things that people choose to latch on to. Then there is the very basic fact that collecting data like this will have some error in the count. It's impossible not to. It may be statistically insignificant, but who wants to hammer through minutia of how statistics works every time the subject comes up?

Even IF the error where 10% over reported, the death toll is ~210k instead of ~230k today, that's hardly relevant to what is happening. And the other side is it could be under reported.

The folks that argue the stats are significantly wrong won't be changing their mind.

My main point in that post is I find it difficult to believe China reporting only 28 new cases and zero deaths yesterday. Same for reporting in a lot of other countries that seems suspect.

Hampstead 10-25-2020 11:54 AM

Quote:

Based on NVSS data, excess deaths have occurred every week in the United States since March 2020. An estimated 299,028 more persons than expected have died since January 26, 2020; approximately two thirds of these deaths were attributed to COVID-19.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...o%20COVID%2D19.

txmxer 10-25-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3648061)
It's more of a reality thing. Sweden has done as well the US, Spain, France, UK, and a lot of other countries that used severe lockdowns. If you're not going to do a good job, why not do the bad job that's least disruptive to the economy and people's lives?

I think this is a misnomer. The US responded to the virus basically during spring break across the country. I know in Texas, the school shutdown was announced while my son was on spring break.

Had the US not shut down, I can't help but think this country would have been in real trouble--the whole "flatten the curve" thing. There are a lot of reasons for this being different than Sweden. Seems to me they killed off a chunk of the most vulnerable part of the population early and the rest of the population is in general more healthy than the average person in the US. They took basic precautions voluntarily.

Had the US gone a similar route from a public policy standpoint, things could have been exponentially worse here. I don' t know that--nobody does, but I think it was a strong possibility.

DG_player 10-25-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3648067)
I think this is a misnomer. The US responded to the virus basically during spring break across the country. I know in Texas, the school shutdown was announced while my son was on spring break.

Had the US not shut down, I can't help but think this country would have been in real trouble--the whole "flatten the curve" thing. There are a lot of reasons for this being different than Sweden. Seems to me they killed off a chunk of the most vulnerable part of the population early and the rest of the population is in general more healthy than the average person in the US. They took basic precautions voluntarily.

Had the US gone a similar route from a public policy standpoint, things could have been exponentially worse here. I don' t know that--nobody does, but I think it was a strong possibility.

I agree that shut downing certain segments of the economy was very important. Certainly restaurants bars large public venues and anywhere with prolonged close contact. However I question the value of shutting down every non public serving business, as well as closing every store and except walmart, target and home depot. My buddy is a landscaper. He was allowed to mow but not plant new flowers. Please explain to me the rationale behind that. I think they did a very poor job of comparing pandemic prevention value vs economic benefit.

Even now I question their rationale. There is this huge hangup on masks. Sure it would be great if everyone wore masks but the pandemic isn't being driven by maskless walmart shoppers. It's becoming increasingly clear that it's being spread by large super-spreader events that then percolate through households and seed new super spreader events. Not hanging out with your extended family and friends is vastly more important than wearing a mask when you go shopping. Yet outside of restrictions on public businesses where this can happen, I don't see any policies being put forth to stop this.

Jay Dub 10-25-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

My buddy is a landscaper. He was allowed to mow but not plant new flowers. Please explain to me the rationale behind that. I think they did a very poor job of comparing pandemic prevention value vs economic benefit.
Planting new flowers involve contact with a stream of people, at the time they were trying to keep contact with others to a minimum. Mowing can be accomplished without contact.
This was new for everyone, people were learning on the fly and trying the best with what information they had. I'm sure in hindsight we can easily find where things should have been done differently. Hindsight is, after all, 2020. :D

MikeK 10-25-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3647795)
What do you think is going on? Virus has mutated to a much mess lethal form? Or the case counts in March/April/May were of magnitude times higher than they are now? More experience treating the disease? Combination of all three?

Could be just dumb luck. My point in bringing up Sweden is that a country that did little as far as lockdowns has death rates no worse than several countries that did lock down.

I’m not convinced that lockdowns have really done much to slow the spread, so I’d rather allow businesses to open and let customers decide for themselves if it’s safe to patronize them. If you’re high-risk, stay at home and let the low-risk enjoy our short time here on earth.

ru4por 10-25-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 3647546)
Am I dead yet? Guess I should be by now. But while we wait for me to keel over, let me just say, the teachers have the freedumb to find another job, as do the store clerks and everyone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3647556)
You make no sense. With your logic, why not let all the shopkeeps go out and start a new, smarter, economy proof business. With your logic, any impacted sector of the economy, should just exercise your "freedom of choice" and find new revenue streams. Why not let all the unemployed just go get available jobs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 3648120)
Could be just dumb luck. My point in bringing up Sweden is that a country that did little as far as lockdowns has death rates no worse than several countries that did lock down.

Iím not convinced that lockdowns have really done much to slow the spread, so Iíd rather allow businesses to open and let customers decide for themselves if itís safe to patronize them. If youíre high-risk, stay at home and let the low-risk enjoy our short time here on earth.

You are SO selfish and self centered, you cannot seem to formulate a reasonable opinion.

I am not sure how one can be "not convinced" that staying home, wearing a mask, keeping your distance and washing your hands does not slow the spread. You have some vastly different belief system? Because the science is pretty clear. Is your concern over shut downs, about the owners and employees of shut down industry? Doubtful. It is about your convenience....and sorry, given the number of people that would likely die, so you can go to the bar, restaurant or bowling alley, that is pathetic, IMO. If you try to tell me it IS about the people suffering, you could not believe the bolded above.

Sweden and US comparisons are apples and oranges. But, to prove a point, let's say you are correct. Then I think, if it took all these drastic measure to keep this country at the same level, how much worse and how many more would have died, if we had not shut down? Maybe Sweden is doing a much better job at masking, staying away from people, washing their hands and staying home? Maybe their economy is not flourishing? There could be TONS of reasons why Sweden is posting the numbers that they are.

Keeping high risk at home and letting the "low risk" go out is dumb. First, everyone is at the same risk of catching COVID, given the same behavior. The risk of DEATH is the only difference. So, all your selfish "low risk" folks then become asymptomatic carriers and get all your sheltered high risk folks dead.

What is so hard about a few months of tiny personal sacrifice, to save the lives of your fellow man?

ThrowaEnvy 10-25-2020 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 3648120)

I'm just going to address the first part...though I don't know why I bother, it's like talking to my drunk uncle at Christmas that only knows one thing and just keeps yelling it louder each time...

The biggest difference which was posted here by someone who has a friend/ psychiatrist(?) In Sweden... he said they essentially go on holiday from May thru August to the country etc... There is that! Among other differences...

txmxer 10-25-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3648144)
I'm just going to address the first part...though I don't know why I bother, it's like talking to my drunk uncle at Christmas that only knows one thing and just keeps yelling it louder each time...

The biggest difference which was posted here by someone who has a friend/ psychiatrist(?) In Sweden... he said they essentially go on holiday from May thru August to the country etc... There is that! Among other differences...

Yes. Marc lived in the US for several years. He would say and has said that Sweden and the US are very different places.

Ultimately, I donít think anyone believes there is a perfect response to such an unknown. Still, where we and pretty much everyone failed us being prepared for this event. It has always been known that a pandemic event is potentially on the horizon. But hey, that costs money to plan for.

We worry about hurricanes after billions of dollars in damage. We worry about wildfires after the fact. Lead pipes in the water supply. Terrorist. The list goes on.

The only thing we like to prepare for is yesterdayís crisis. And then, if it becomes a major economic windfall, it becomes critical. Think military industrial complex.

mndiscg 10-25-2020 07:42 PM

I am halfway through my quarantine period after testing positive for COVID last weekend. I developed a sore throat and loss of smell/taste on Friday afternoon/evening. Anybody have any questions?

Ess-dog 10-25-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Yep. When they talk about the Swedish response they shouldn't be able to cherry pick the freedom without the socialism.

I am interested in how Taiwan and Japan do economically. They both took pretty simple measures involving basic PPE, testing and tracing. Taiwan appears to have had less of a lockdown than many places so there GDP has hardly taken a hit. Taiwan had sent their CDC agents to Wuhan mid January and their reports were openly distributed and should have helped inform our response. So anything less than an effective response was a choice and not because we didn't know what we were dealing with.

Seems the big difference between us and them is that we've never embraced the social contract and instead want to vilify others to the point of taking action detrimental to our well being.

Monocacy 10-25-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndiscg (Post 3648159)
I am halfway through my quarantine period after testing positive for COVID last weekend. I developed a sore throat and loss of smell/taste on Friday afternoon/evening. Anybody have any questions?

First and foremost I hope you recover quickly and fully. If you care to answer, I would be interested to know:

1. Do you know how you were exposed?

2. Did the health department do contact tracing in a timely manner?

3. Were you treated medically, or have you been able to ride it out without treatment?

Thanks, and best wishes

txmxer 10-25-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Hoping thatís as bad as it gets and recovery goes smooth.

DavidSauls 10-25-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Do I know you? (Please say no).

Ess-dog 10-25-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Yep. When they talk about the Swedish response they shouldn't be able to cherry pick the freedom without the socialism.

I am interested in how Taiwan and Japan do economically. They both took pretty simple measures involving basic PPE, testing and tracing. Taiwan appears to have had less of a lockdown than many places so there GDP has hardly taken a hit. Taiwan had sent their CDC agents to Wuhan mid January and their reports were openly distributed and should have helped inform our response. So anything less than an effective response was a choice and not because we didn't know what we were dealing with.

Seems the big difference between us and them is that we've never embraced the social contract and instead want to vilify others to the point of taking action detrimental to our well being.

mndiscg 10-25-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3648165)
First and foremost I hope you recover quickly and fully. If you care to answer, I would be interested to know:

1. Do you know how you were exposed?

2. Did the health department do contact tracing in a timely manner?

3. Were you treated medically, or have you been able to ride it out without treatment?

Thanks, and best wishes

1. I am in management at a large retail store. Two of the guys that I supervise had it. We have been vigilant about masks and pretty good about distancing but I assume that I got it from one of them. The main reason that I'm not more sure is that I had what I thought were minor cold symptoms for days before anything more severe developed. They had both been out for awhile on quarantine before any of my symptoms showed up. I also talk to a lot of people everyday and the exposure could be unrelated to those two.

2. When the PA called with my results, she told me that the health department might be behind so she briefed me on what to do and what they might tell me. I got my test back on Saturday afternoon and the health department called mid-morning on Monday. Not terrible response time, especially when coupled with the advice given by the PA.

3. I was not treated medically. I never had a fever or any real trouble breathing. I have had a headache that won't go away as well as aches, sore throat, still can't taste or smell, lots of fatigue, and loss of balance. I'm 9 days out from real symptoms starting and still feeling very tired.

ru4por 10-25-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndiscg (Post 3648179)
1. I am in management at a large retail store. Two of the guys that I supervise had it. We have been vigilant about masks and pretty good about distancing but I assume that I got it from one of them. The main reason that I'm not more sure is that I had what I thought were minor cold symptoms for days before anything more severe developed. They had both been out for awhile on quarantine before any of my symptoms showed up. I also talk to a lot of people everyday and the exposure could be unrelated to those two.

2. When the PA called with my results, she told me that the health department might be behind so she briefed me on what to do and what they might tell me. I got my test back on Saturday afternoon and the health department called mid-morning on Monday. Not terrible response time, especially when coupled with the advice given by the PA.

3. I was not treated medically. I never had a fever or any real trouble breathing. I have had a headache that won't go away as well as aches, sore throat, still can't taste or smell, lots of fatigue, and loss of balance. I'm 9 days out from real symptoms starting and still feeling very tired.

Thanks for taking the time and answering questions mndiscg. Your symptoms are pretty close to what I experienced as well. Though, I seem to have has a shorter duration.

Good luck to you and I hope your family and those you know stay safe.

JedV 10-25-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess-dog (Post 3648175)

Yes, that is very much a big difference. I was in Japan 12 years ago and that society is sooooo different.

I went to a baseball game in Osaka. At the end of the game, everyone packed our their trash and discarded in the concourse garbage cans. It was shocking. I'm used to people in that situation leaving an absolute mess and not giving a rip.

Moreover there was no litter to be seen anywhere on the streets. No graffiti or tagging anywhere. Even homeless people would pack up their belongings in the morning and clean up the area they occupied overnight.

Those are but a few examples of the social responsibility we don't widely embrace in the West.

I haven't followed the case counts in Japan, but, I would trust the majority of Japanese people to do the right thing for the greater good ie. Staying home when sick, following rules, etc. I'm sure there are Libertarian types there, but it's likely the exception, not as widely embraced like we see around these parts.

ru4por 10-26-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess-dog (Post 3648175)

This is a great point. Given the awful disparity of the COVID numbers in this country, for the poor and black, I don't think access to medical care and quality, can be dismissed as a reason for number differences.

ru4por 10-26-2020 11:54 AM

This is a nice presentation on the basics of the bodies response to COVID. Also there is a a nice synopsis of a mask study at the end. I don't know who this guy is, and I don't advocate for his opinions, just thought there was some nice info here.

I cannot figure out imbedding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDRORWq4H6s

Jay Dub 10-26-2020 12:12 PM

^^^^ embedded.

BogeyNoMore 10-27-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndiscg (Post 3648179)

Hope you bounce back well, with no lingering effects!