Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Dcinmd 11-11-2020 11:54 AM

One Million Covid cases for the month of November, that is a 10 day period. Which will lead to 1 million cases per week.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EmjpBflW...jpg&name=small

Monocacy 11-11-2020 12:02 PM

Maryland's Republican Governor announced new COVID-19 restrictions effective today. Most restrictions are advisory (travel restrictions, indoor gatherings, nursing homes) but a few are mandatory (indoor dining, state government telework, hospital surge capacity).

We shall see whether that is enough to make a difference.

MD Governor Announces Series of Actions to Slow the Spread of COVID-19

Jay Dub 11-11-2020 12:05 PM

Cin Public Schools went back to virtual only classes.

roggenb3 11-11-2020 12:31 PM

Wow that map is something else. It's almost like it didn't go away on it's own. Weird.

dysmike 11-11-2020 12:48 PM

Arizona's gov asked people to be nice.

txmxer 11-11-2020 01:11 PM

Time to open up!

ru4por 11-11-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3655612)
Time to open up!

A couple of interesting finding in this paper.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2923-3

ru4por 11-11-2020 03:51 PM

My wife just got back from an appointment at her gynecologist. She was fired up....I was like, what the hell, it is only a doctor's appointment. Well, apparently the guy was a huge denier. Spewing anti mask, pseudo political rubbish. Wife said she felt like walking out, I told her I would have.

Here is the thing, I just saw the guy at one of our hospitals on Saturday.....full respirator gear. Not a N95, full head gear/faceshield with circulation fan. What a piece of shiit. Enough belief to protect himself, but not an ounce of care for anyone else. Makes me irrationally crazy that medical persons feel free to spew this nonsense. People tend to believe he is not an idiot, because he is a doctor.

jakebake91 11-11-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3655711)
My wife just got back from an appointment at her gynecologist. She was fired up....I was like, what the hell, it is only a doctor's appointment. Well, apparently the guy was a huge denier. Spewing anti mask, pseudo political rubbish. Wife said she felt like walking out, I told her I would have.

Here is the thing, I just saw the guy at one of our hospitals on Saturday.....full respirator gear. Not a N95, full head gear/faceshield with circulation fan. What a piece of shiit. Enough belief to protect himself, but not an ounce of care for anyone else. Makes me irrationally crazy that medical persons feel free to spew this nonsense. People tend to believe he is not an idiot, because he is a doctor.

Id absolutely walk out. And find a new doctor.

One thing Im noticing that I'm shocked at is that when delivery companies (plural, at least 3) have to have a signature and enter an establishment, they are not required apparently by their company, to mask. The place I work at is technically "closed to public" . We don't have mask required signs. But, three times in the past two weeks I've had drivers walk in and walk right up to me. No mask. Ask for a sig. My desk just happens to be one of the first they see someone at till like 10am. I don't like it.

DG_player 11-11-2020 07:39 PM

My county has nearly 100% mask compliance. I haven't seen anyone in a store without one in a couple months at least. Yet we are experiencing the same surge as elsewhere and are worse than we've ever been in hospitalizations and case counts.

dysmike 11-11-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3655838)
My county has nearly 100% mask compliance. I haven't seen anyone in a store without one in a couple months at least. Yet we are experiencing the same surge as elsewhere and are worse than we've ever been in hospitalizations and case counts.

The mask stuff is all fine and good... but if you've got bars open, or have people having parties.. they just don't help in those situations (they're not being used). Same really with sitting in a restaurant... especially if it's cold, and there's no fresh air ventilation.

DG_player 11-11-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3655839)
The mask stuff is all fine and good... but if you've got bars open, or have people having parties.. they just don't help in those situations (they're not being used). Same really with sitting in a restaurant... especially if it's cold, and there's no fresh air ventilation.

Exactly.

Anyone on here complaining about masks, unless you're having thanksgiving dinner with only your immediate family, you're a complete hypocrite for complaining about someone not wearing a mask at Walmart.

I wonder how many of the sanctimonious voices on here can pledge that they're not?

dysmike 11-11-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3655845)
Exactly.

Anyone on here complaining about masks, unless you're having thanksgiving dinner with only your immediate family, you're a complete hypocrite for complaining about someone not wearing a mask at Walmart.

I wonder how many of the sanctimonious voices on here can pledge that they're not?

It'll be me, my wife and kids ;) Then again, I'm not even allowed on the property at work, we haven't done anything more than take out, and the one time I went to a 'bar'.. I sat outside with one other person and had one beer. Completely appropriately distanced. We've got some side issues that really demand that we take measures to limit exposure within the extended family though. Most people.. don't is my guess (or don't believe in any of this or care about it.. neither are things I'm in the mood to debate at any rate).

ThrowaEnvy 11-11-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3655839)

Well interestingly enough up here in BC we are on the verge of losing control at 450 cases a day. They have suggested that people in the main land region stay put for two weeks, get extra cautious.(haha the f in weekenders are still coming and going as they please :( ) Gym use is curtailed, restaurants are open. But here's the fun part:

Through contact tracing and incident reports the majority of transmission is happening in private residences where people may be letting their guard down and there are very few if any transmissions happening at restaurants and shopping. They have recommended that if you go to a restaurant you only do it with your household. Wear masks indoors if people aren't from your household but for the most part Visit your friends online instead.

perklc 11-11-2020 09:08 PM

It will just be my wife and I for Thanksgiving, same as it always is. It helps that our families live 600 and 900 miles away. The family 600 miles away (my side) couldn't really afford the trip here even if I wanted them to travel. Her family would be here at the drop of a hat if we allowed it, but their version of "we're being good about staying away from people" has them around way too many people.

ru4por 11-11-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3655838)

You probably are not witness to the superspreader opportunities....ie..restaurants, gyms, churches.....

ru4por 11-11-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Exactly.

I will not. I just spent two twelve hours shifts in a hospital. I am in self isolation for two weeks, including Thanksgiving. I am heartbroken not to hang out with my sisters and their kids and my Mom. Watch a little Lions football and stuff myself like a pig.....come on...I live for that stuff!! But, even if I was not isolating, I am not seeing my family, aside from outside and distanced. It is hard, it is heartbreaking, but it could save the life of someone i love. Hopefully next year.

ThrowaEnvy 11-11-2020 09:39 PM

I will second that, I call my parents all the time and they commented to my wife that I never come in the house. My brother still does but we are high risk.. Too many people it's our jobs, we're all "essential services". I'm getting stressed out a couple of my big jobs are ending and we will need to do 10+ short jobs in people's houses a week. Christmas is cancelled ish.. Which sucks. I want sausage rolls and crib. And so much food I feel the need to nap on the floor!

DG_player 11-11-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3655883)
You probably are not witness to the superspreader opportunities....ie..restaurants, gyms, churches.....

I agree and that's sort of my point.

Masks are an important tool. They definitely improve the odds when you're forced into close contact and prevent the odd Walmart transmission. However this whole political mask battle has become a distraction from the important measures: Stay the F away from other people.

I live in a pretty leftish area. I find it quite comical that I get disdainful looks from masked people passing me on the sidewalk on their way to visit at their friends' or neighbors' house.

jakebake91 11-11-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3655888)
I will not. I just spent two twelve hours shifts in a hospital. I am in self isolation for two weeks, including Thanksgiving. I am heartbroken not to hang out with my sisters and their kids and my Mom. Watch a little Lions football and stuff myself like a pig.....come on...I live for that stuff!! But, even if I was not isolating, I am not seeing my family, aside from outside and distanced. It is hard, it is heartbreaking, but it could save the life of someone i love. Hopefully next year.

Same for our family here too. I had originally stumped to continue with our plans, as it's a small gathering. But with the numbers surging, nope. Not to mention, my wife has been having to cover tons of extra shifts in the covid-19 testing area, so she's been in direct contact with potentially sick people. Last thing we want to do is spread it to my elderly grandmother. It'll be out first missed family holiday in my lifetime.

R-Ogre 11-12-2020 12:26 AM

Spent 3 hours in a small airplane with a COVID+ patient in the back.

Fun times. N95, sunglasses, eyepro, headset....

R-Ogre 11-12-2020 12:32 AM

I think with the numbers being what they are it’s hard to make any generalized statements about where most transmission is happening because there’s so much “survivorship bias” of what transmissions are easy to track with contact tracing capabilities that are completely underwater.

Us, we did escape down south to see family during the last lull but if we were scheduled now? Ain’t no way. We have 3 other families we see in-person on a regular basis. None of them are in-person schooling and I am the only one of 8 parents working outside the home. Is it risk-free? No. But it’s pretty low risk. Certainly lower risk than going to any indoor bar right now.

ThrowaEnvy 11-12-2020 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3655931)
Spent 3 hours in a small airplane with a COVID+ patient in the back.

Fun times. N95, sunglasses, eyepro, headset....

Well that warrants the question, why were you there? Pilot or medic?

R-Ogre 11-12-2020 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3655934)
Well that warrants the question, why were you there? Pilot or medic?

Pilot for a medical transport operation. We’re associated with a major University health system that has been dealing with covid since day 1 of the US outbreak and so far they’ve had very good success keeping flight crews from getting exposed at work. As with any educational/health institution they have their moments of bureaucratic nonsense but overall I think they’re doing well by us.

Monocacy 11-12-2020 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3655935)
Pilot for a medical transport operation.

Out of curiosity - do smaller planes (I am assuming) HEPA-filter recirculated air like larger commercial planes?

R-Ogre 11-12-2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3655936)
Out of curiosity - do smaller planes (I am assuming) HEPA-filter recirculated air like larger commercial planes?

Unfortunately, our recirculation system is unfiltered. Which is suboptimal.

jakebake91 11-12-2020 07:47 AM

https://youtu.be/6d9XjnV2iKA

Maybe not eveybodies favorite music genre (I always feel like country music is in the minority lol) but a neat song reminding us that, it sucks now, but it will get better someday.

Therealgoat 11-12-2020 08:03 AM

Pfizer's vaccine sounds promising at 90% success rate. Though transportation and storage will be an issue. It's got to be kept at like -70C, most places (even medical centers / rural hospitals), don't have that level of storage.

jakebake91 11-12-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therealgoat (Post 3655960)
Pfizer's vaccine sounds promising at 90% success rate. Though transportation and storage will be an issue. It's got to be kept at like -70C, most places (even medical centers / rural hospitals), don't have that level of storage.

As in like.... -94 degrees regular people temp scale??? That's aaaahhh.....chilly!

Jay Dub 11-12-2020 08:10 AM

Buy stock in dry ice.

ru4por 11-12-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Therealgoat (Post 3655960)

Definitely a problem. I just listen to our hospital system's "CEO Chat". He was describing the effort and struggles, getting a slew of those freezers. Also states we have nearly hit 2M vaccine syringes. Small, but crucial considerations to the "assumed" vaccine process.

jakebake91 11-12-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3655965)
Buy stock in dry ice.

Seems like a stock that'll go up in......smoke????

Jay Dub 11-12-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakebake91 (Post 3655971)
Seems like a stock that'll go up in......smoke????

So they will need more that will go up in smoke and then they will need more that will go up... :p

jakebake91 11-12-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3655975)
So they will need more that will go up in smoke and then they will need more that will go up... :p

Man.....that's cold!

roggenb3 11-12-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Thanksgiving is just a Thursday to me. I am not sad at all that I don't have to go to any parties during the holidays. It's one of the minor wins of the covid era, for us antisocial folk.

jakebake91 11-12-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3655989)
Thanksgiving is just a Thursday to me. I am not sad at all that I don't have to go to any parties during the holidays. It's one of the minor wins of the covid era, for us antisocial folk.

I wish I could say the same. You'll be hard pressed to find a tighter knit family than mine. So missing these holidays are especially tough for us. But. It is what it is. We will get through it all one way or another.

Here's hoping that by skipping Thanksgiving, we can have a small Christmas gathering. Im not holding out too much hope though......

Monocacy 11-12-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3655937)
Unfortunately, our recirculation system is unfiltered. Which is suboptimal.

That is unfortunate.

But in good news, CDC now says that multi-layer cloth face masks protect the wearer as well as protecting those nearby:
The prevention benefit of masking is derived from the combination of source control and personal protection for the mask wearer. The relationship between source control and personal protection is likely complementary and possibly synergistic, so that individual benefit increases with increasing community mask use.
From the same article, specific to airplanes (probably commercial planes, but still):
Investigations involving infected passengers aboard flights longer than 10 hours strongly suggest that masking prevented in-flight transmissions, as demonstrated by the absence of infection developing in other passengers and crew in the 14 days following exposure.

And one of my favorite studies, from back in May:
An investigation of a high-exposure event, in which 2 symptomatically ill hair stylists interacted for an average of 15 minutes with each of 139 clients during an 8-day period, found that none of the 67 clients who subsequently consented to an interview and testing developed infection. The stylists and all clients universally wore masks in the salon as required by local ordinance and company policy at the time.

Scientific Brief: Community Use of Cloth Masks to Control the Spread of SARS-CoV-2 | CDC November 10, 2020

etdefender19 11-12-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3655989)

Couldn’t possibly agree more!

ru4por 11-13-2020 06:29 AM

Another interesting article. This one might hit home a bit, given the gender and age range or many on this thread. There is a link to the research study within the article, for some even lighter reading.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...s-die-n1247576

Therealgoat 11-13-2020 07:43 AM

Interesting take on the precursors leading up to the situation in Wuhan from which Covid-19 was born, starting in 1887, heh. A good read on how these things start and circulate globally.

https://aeon.co/essays/viruses-are-n...ons-long-story

Depressing that measles was eliminated in the US in 2000, but the US had 1,249 cases last year (of which 89% were unvaccinated), and it killed 207k people globally last year. This is something preventable with the vaccine, but they estimate 94 million people were or are at risk of missing the measles vaccine due to Covid-19 disruption. Looking at measles is not a good sign for how we'll deal with Covid.