Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

etdefender19 11-25-2020 06:09 AM

One of my gorgeous fiancťe’s employees lost his mom to COVID on Sunday and his dad last night.

I’m one of those people who thinks the benefit of COVID is that we don’t have to gather with our families this week, but JFC I don’t know how a person could deal with that

zontar 11-25-2020 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3661510)
One of my gorgeous fiancťeís employees lost his mom to COVID on Sunday and his dad last night.

Iím one of those people who thinks the benefit of COVID is that we donít have to gather with our families this week, but JFC I donít know how a person could deal with that

it's happening right now and very quickly. please don't get together with family tomorrow, folks.

McCready 11-25-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3661492)
Come onóthere is no need for this

He confirmed my assessment and said heís fine with it.

wims 11-25-2020 08:41 AM

I read an interesting statistic from the Norwegian health authority claiming that Covid-19 has a 0.3% mortality rate in Norway. They also published other stats, one was that statistically about 1400 die from influenza every year, so far this year 300 people have died from influenza with a total death count for respiratory illnesses so far are at 600 people in 2020. It's an interesting paradox that a pandemic have caused a reduced number of deaths in Norway in 2020. FWIW Norway have not been hit very hard by the pandemic at all

Monocacy 11-25-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wims (Post 3661538)
I read an interesting statistic from the Norwegian health authority claiming that Covid-19 has a 0.3% mortality rate in Norway. They also published other stats, one was that statistically about 1400 die from influenza every year, so far this year 300 people have died from influenza with a total death count for respiratory illnesses so far are at 600 people in 2020. It's an interesting paradox that a pandemic have caused a reduced number of deaths in Norway in 2020. FWIW Norway have not been hit very hard by the pandemic at all

That is interesting. Norway took strong early actions to control the pandemic: travel restrictions and quarantines; strict shut-downs; restrictions on gatherings; an aggressive testing and tracing program; etc.

The southern hemisphere barely had a flu season this year. Measures to control COVID-19 transmission (masks, distancing, etc.) also control flu transmission. This makes sense because both are thought to spread primarily by respiratory droplets.

Results in Norway have been among the best in the world. Comparisons:

Tests per million:
401,259 Norway
287,826 Sweden
555,801 U.S.

Cases per million:
6,200 Norway
22,768 Sweden
39,067 U.S.

Deaths per million:
58 Norway
647 Sweden
802 U.S.

Source: Worldometer

uncle pennybags 11-25-2020 11:07 AM

I was hospitalized with Covid for 8 days on the got out on November 1st. I have asthma and allergies. When it hit me was the middle of harvest and the temperature dropped significantly. I never had any of what I assonate with flu-like symptoms. I didn't run a temperature until 5-6 days in. Just head cold/allergies like symptoms with coughing fits and vomiting/loss of appetite. No muscles aches etc.

Well I was an inch away from ventilator land. I was on max air from two sources. Part of the problem was that I also developed dual-pneumonia. It wasnít much fun feeling like I ran a marathon, but all I did was go to the bathroom.

Itís been 3 weeks now and Iím just starting to get my O2 levels where the need to be. And my right leg was messed up from the 8 days in bed! But I can walk without my trekking poles now! Iíll be able to go back to restricted work in the next week or so I think.

There is no real point to this post other than this. I always mask up in public spaces. Iím reasonably vigilant in hand sanitizing. But I still managed to get it from somewhere, most likely my work space. So, donít think that it canít happen to you!

Monocacy 11-25-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3661599)
I was hospitalized with Covid for 8 days on the got out on November 1st. I have asthma and allergies. When it hit me was the middle of harvest and the temperature dropped significantly. I never had any of what I assonate with flu-like symptoms. I didn't run a temperature until 5-6 days in. Just head cold/allergies like symptoms with coughing fits and vomiting/loss of appetite. No muscles aches etc.

Well I was an inch away from ventilator land. I was on max air from two sources. Part of the problem was that I also developed dual-pneumonia. It wasnít much fun feeling like I ran a marathon, but all I did was go to the bathroom.

Itís been 3 weeks now and Iím just starting to get my O2 levels where the need to be. And my right leg was messed up from the 8 days in bed! But I can walk without my trekking poles now! Iíll be able to go back to restricted work in the next week or so I think.

There is no real point to this post other than this. I always mask up in public spaces. Iím reasonably vigilant in hand sanitizing. But I still managed to get it from somewhere, most likely my work space. So, donít think that it canít happen to you!

Thank you for sharing, and best wishes for a full recovery.

Discraft Dad 11-25-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Prayers for a full recovery.

ru4por 11-25-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Crap, that is a world of suck. Sorry to hear you caught it and I hope you fully recover. A hospital stay of that length alone, is going to lay a licking on you. Be patient with your comeback.

The truly frightening part (like all of it is not terrifying), is the symptom free period. Allowing people who are carriers to believe they are healthy. Man, it reinforces the need for vigilance. If pennybags had been a denier (or just lazy :wall:) and active in his community, he could have done some real damage, in turn all those folks could have gone out and done more damage.......wait, you guys have heard this story, right?

Discraft Dad 11-25-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3661623)
wait, you guys have heard this story, right?

Only every day.

Brodysseus 11-25-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3661626)
Only every day.

Well, it obviously hasn't stuck.

Discraft Dad 11-25-2020 12:34 PM

I am usually careful when I am out. I seldom go inside any business and mask up and practice social distancing. Ru4or is overly upset because I said that a few times I have forgot my mask in my car and I decided I would take the risk and go in to a gas station and buy a soda. He can't get over it...lol.

JuanA 11-25-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3661647)
I am usually careful when I am out. I seldom go inside any business and mask up and practice social distancing. Ru4or is overly upset because I said that a few times I have forgot my mask in my car and I decided I would put others at risk and go in to a gas station and buy a soda. He can't get over it...lol.

Fixed it for you. :thmbup:

DavidSauls 11-25-2020 12:39 PM

Quote:

There is no real point to this post other than this. I always mask up in public spaces. I’m reasonably vigilant in hand sanitizing. But I still managed to get it from somewhere, most likely my work space. So, don’t think that it can’t happen to you!

Few points are more important.

Thanks for sharing.

Brodysseus 11-25-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

I am usually careful when I am out. I seldom go inside any business and mask up and practice social distancing. Ru4or is overly upset because I said that a few times I have forgot my mask in my car and I decided I would take the risk and go in to a gas station and buy a soda. He can't get over it...lol.

Ah, so a few times you wantonly endangered lives and your community. But it's cool because you dont't always do it and it would have been slightly inconvenient for you to do the right thing.

Gotcha.

ru4por 11-25-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

No, I don't understand it. I am over it.....I pin it on bad parenting. :|

Discraft Dad 11-25-2020 01:04 PM

You're over it? Reallly?!? I am going to say that if that was true you wouldn't mention it in almost every post you make. Trying to make me feel guilty by taking cheap shots at me I guess? I guess you're parents were not that great either.

Hampstead 11-25-2020 01:14 PM

Simmer down, pops.

ru4por 11-25-2020 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3661667)
You're over it? Reallly?!? I am going to say that if that was true you wouldn't mention it in almost every post you make. Trying to make me feel guilty by taking cheap shots at me I guess? I guess you're parents were not that great either.

You give yourself far too much credit, man. I make many posts, unsolicited mention of you is far from common. What does it say that you feel the shots are cheap? The couple times I have even mentioned your selfish behavior, it was a reiteration of your story.

Halcůn 11-25-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

I was hospitalized with Covid for 8 days on the got out on November 1st.

Not to cut your story short, but others have already copied it. I certainly have an idea of what you went (and are going) through, so it's really good to hear you're recovering. Stay strong, and keep up the good work. :thmbup:

DavidSauls 11-25-2020 01:29 PM

How about some nuance, and a gray area between selfish and imperfect?

Better to go back and get a mask, but the brief encounter in a convenience store isn't exactly the highest risk. Hopefully it's not within 6' for 15 minutes. I buy takeout food from a local restaurant, always masked, which fits guidelines but it'd be even safer if I didn't at all.

I'd have gone back for the mask before buying the soda, myself. But I'm withholding my indignation from people who are 90% conscientious, because I need to save it all for the ones who are 0%.

ru4por 11-25-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3661680)
How about some nuance, and a gray area between selfish and imperfect?

Better to go back and get a mask, but the brief encounter in a convenience store isn't exactly the highest risk. Hopefully it's not within 6' for 15 minutes. I buy takeout food from a local restaurant, always masked, which fits guidelines but it'd be even safer if I didn't at all.

I'd have gone back for the mask before buying the soda, myself. But I'm withholding my indignation from people who are 90% conscientious, because I need to save it all for the ones who are 0%.

The voice of reason. Thanks David.

Fair enough.

Discraft Dad 11-25-2020 01:36 PM

Yes the encounters are very brief. I am usually there pretty early in the morning and few ppl are there. In and out in a matter of minutes.

JuanA 11-25-2020 01:42 PM

I think more about the person behind the counter.

Everyone who goes in for a 'brief moment' adds up to a full 8 hour shift for the person ringing up the cash register.

Jay Dub 11-25-2020 01:48 PM

I think the reason for the back lash to DD is because of the context the comment was made.

DavidSauls 11-25-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3661687)
I think more about the person behind the counter.

Everyone who goes in for a 'brief moment' adds up to a full 8 hour shift for the person ringing up the cash register.

Yes. But I'm a lot more bothered by the people who don't even have a mask in the car to ponder going back to. Unlike our hero with a single, or possibly occasional, transgression, they're doing it with every interaction in their life.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Meanwhile, Discraft Dad, next time please give further thought to returning to the car for the mask. It reduces the slight risk by a little more, and it's not a huge ask. With a side benefit that everyone seen with a mask -- or better, making an effort to get their mask -- adds a tad to the social norms of wearing them.

Riverdog 11-25-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3661692)
Yes. But I'm a lot more bothered by the people who don't even have a mask in the car to ponder going back to. Unlike our hero with a single, or possibly occasional, transgression, they're doing it with every interaction in their life.

Meanwhile, Discraft Dad, next time please give further thought to returning to the car for the mask. It reduces the slight risk by a little more, and it's not a huge ask. With a side benefit that everyone seen with a mask -- or better, making an effort to get their mask -- adds a tad to the social norms of wearing them.

You are a better man than I Gunga Din. My first impulse is to think what an effing nimrod... or words to that effect. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakebake91 11-25-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3661686)
Yes the encounters are very brief. I am usually there pretty early in the morning and few ppl are there. In and out in a matter of minutes.

This story reminds me too much of unprotected sex......too lazy to get proper protection.....the bit there I quoted....

And yet....babies are made everyday by people who are "usually careful".

DavidSauls 11-25-2020 02:10 PM

If everyone acted in ways that just reduced the amount of virus spread -- so that, say, for every 10 people infected, they infected 5 other people -- eventually, we'd be down to a manageable situation.

Not as good as buckling down as much as possible, but much better than those 10 infecting 12 people, or whatever the current rate is.

Hence, my getting take-out is better than sitting down in the restaurant.....even if it's not as good as staying out, entirely.

muptonfish 11-25-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3661680)
How about some nuance,

:confused:

This is an internet forum, on Covid-19....people ain't got time for nuance. Too busy with righteous indignation or complete denial. 73% of the people had to google the definition of nuance.

;)

uncle pennybags 11-25-2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3661623)
Crap, that is a world of suck. Sorry to hear you caught it and I hope you fully recover. A hospital stay of that length alone, is going to lay a licking on you. Be patient with your comeback.

The truly frightening part (like all of it is not terrifying), is the symptom free period. Allowing people who are carriers to believe they are healthy. Man, it reinforces the need for vigilance. If pennybags had been a denier (or just lazy :wall:) and active in his community, he could have done some real damage, in turn all those folks could have gone out and done more damage.......wait, you guys have heard this story, right?

The part you didn't hear is that thinking I was just regular sick and not Covid sick, went to work for 3 days before getting checked out.:doh: (I came down with symptoms on a Saturday. It was a full week before I went to the hospital)

DG_player 11-25-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3661770)
The part you didn't hear is that thinking I was just regular sick and not Covid sick, went to work for 3 days before getting checked out.:doh: (I came down with symptoms on a Saturday. It was a full week before I went to the hospital)

That's the biggest problem with this disease, the people who never get "Covid sick" or the people who think they're regular sick for a period of time. Which is why the advice of if you're at all sick, test or no test, stay at home is the best.

Just look at college football to see how messed up people's views are. Dabo Swinney is lambasting florida state for canceling their game, after Clemson allowed a symptomatic player to practice and travel with their team for a week. :doh: Why would you even allow a sick player to practice and travel to begin with, but you're seriously gonna accuse the opposing team for dodging the game?!? The NCAA ought to censure him or suspend or something.

joecoin 11-26-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muptonfish (Post 3661718)
:confused:

... 73% of the people had to google the definition of nuance.

;)

Not me. My Mormon uncle got remarried to twin sisters, now I have two nuance.

Smigles 11-26-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3661770)

You dont go to work with "regular sick" either...

robdeforge 11-26-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3661812)
Just look at college football to see how messed up people's views are. Dabo Swinney is lambasting florida state for canceling their game, after Clemson allowed a symptomatic player to practice and travel with their team for a week. :doh: Why would you even allow a sick player to practice and travel to begin with, but you're seriously gonna accuse the opposing team for dodging the game?!? The NCAA ought to censure him or suspend or something.

according to this article: https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2...covid-timeline , dabo might not have done anything that is against ACC covid protocols, which is telling in its own right.

perklc 11-26-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smigles (Post 3661945)
You dont go to work with "regular sick" either...

Welcome to America!

Early on, one of my hopes once we get passed this pandemic from this was that in the US we would start normalizing the idea of if you are sick, stay tf home, and employers would start support the idea of "oh, maybe sick employees shouldn't come into work and get everyone else sick". That's clearly not going to happen at this point. I think at best, for some office anyway, it will instead become "well, if you're sick, just get your work done from home" which... I guess is slightly better?

My hope now is that we somewhat start to normalize the idea that if you're sick and need to go out, maybe a mask isn't a bad idea. I don't see that happening either, but.. maybe?

Emoney 11-26-2020 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perklc (Post 3661963)
Welcome to America!

Early on, one of my hopes once we get passed this pandemic from this was that in the US we would start normalizing the idea of if you are sick, stay tf home, and employers would start support the idea of "oh, maybe sick employees shouldn't come into work and get everyone else sick". That's clearly not going to happen at this point. I think at best, for some office anyway, it will instead become "well, if you're sick, just get your work done from home" which... I guess is slightly better?

My hope now is that we somewhat start to normalize the idea that if you're sick and need to go out, maybe a mask isn't a bad idea. I don't see that happening either, but.. maybe?

Im lucky to work for a company that is forward thinking on this issue. 3 extra days off next year. Plus, i imagine if/when the office becomes a work site again, we will have the capabilities to work from home alot easier than before.
I personally dont care for the type of work i do BUT the company i do it for has been exceptional during Covid.

I know iam one of the few lucky ones.

perklc 11-26-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3662017)
Im lucky to work for a company that is forward thinking on this issue. 3 extra days off next year. Plus, i imagine if/when the office becomes a work site again, we will have the capabilities to work from home alot easier than before.
I personally dont care for the type of work i do BUT the company i do it for has been exceptional during Covid.

I know iam one of the few lucky ones.

My company has been surprisingly good and has continued to let people who can work from home continue to do so even though they were mostly against WFH pre-Covid. Unfortunately for me, my job will require I be in the office 5 days per week beginning in January and will begin seeing a good bit number of people beginning the end of January. I am in a position where I can enforce very strict measures about masks (like.. they can't come in the building if they don't have one/I can kick them out if they refuse to wear it or wear it right), and the my program should be pretty much the only people in my building, but I am not exactly excited about the change especially being so close to potentially having multiple options for vaccines.

txmxer 11-26-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3661692)

Agree totally. Dad, just because Iím not in to bashing on you for an occasional fail, I think itís important to do the right thing and go back for the mask.

Innova63 11-26-2020 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its hard to wear a mask...

just to go to the store...

Try dancing in a parade...