Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Hampstead 11-26-2020 06:40 PM

Levity break


uncle pennybags 11-27-2020 09:12 AM

I work on a factory floor. I can't see any realistic way to produce manufactured goods from home.

But you guys are right, I should have stayed home when it became clear I had more than allergies kicking my ass.:doh:

dysmike 11-27-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3662201)
I work on a factory floor. I can't see any realistic way to produce manufactured goods from home.

But you guys are right, I should have stayed home when it became clear I had more than allergies kicking my ass.:doh:

From the bar? Yep.


****, I'm so tired of this being a black and white issue.. and not the subtle shades of grey that life actually is. Adults should understand this.

Brodysseus 12-01-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoobyPls (Post 3659387)
It's hard not to think GK Pro left that unnecessary scene of Luke Humphries walking maskless into a convenience store in the video on purpose. Also it sounds like at least one of the GK Pro guys is a COVID denier. I can't support that in good conscience. I unsubscribed.

Any follow up on one of them being a covid denier? Because with the FPO coverage and skins I'd love to support... but like you said, can't in good conscience if they really are Covid deniers

McCready 12-01-2020 07:58 PM

I signed up for the Moderna vaccine trial:
https://covidvaccinetrials.com/

It says I’m a good fit and someone will contact me soon. :thmbup:

DavidSauls 12-01-2020 08:13 PM

Cool. In my ignorance, I sort of assumed the trials were over, except following the original enrollees.

McCready 12-01-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3663833)
Cool. In my ignorance, I sort of assumed the trials were over, except following the original enrollees.

Looks like they’re experimenting with different dosages. Maybe I’ll get the high dose and something cool will happen, like I’ll grow some sweet goat horns.

Quote:

This is a phase I, open-label, dose ranging clinical trial in males and non-pregnant females, 18 to 55 years of age, inclusive, who are in good health and meet all eligibility criteria. This clinical trial is designed to assess the safety, reactogenicity and immunogenicity of mRNA-1273 manufactured by ModernaTX, Inc. mRNA-1273 is a novel lipid nanoparticle (LNP)-encapsulated mRNA-based vaccine that encodes for a full-length, prefusion stabilized spike (S) protein of SARS-CoV-2. Enrollment will occur at one domestic site. Forty-five subjects will be enrolled into one of three cohorts (25 microgram [mcg], 100 mcg, 250 mcg). Subjects will receive an intramuscular (IM) injection (0.5 milliliter [mL]) of mRNA-1273 on Days 1 and 29 in the deltoid muscle and will be followed through 12 months post second vaccination (Day 394). Follow-up visits will occur 1, 2 and 4 weeks post each vaccination (Days 8, 15, 29, 36, 43, and 57), as well as 3, 6 and 12 months post second vaccination (Days 119, 209 and 394). The primary objective is to evaluate the safety and reactogenicity of a 2-dose vaccination schedule of mRNA-1273, given 28 days apart, across 3 dosages in healthy adults. The secondary objective is to evaluate the immunogenicity as measured by Immunoglobulin G (IgG) enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay ELISA to the SARS-CoV-2 S (spike) protein following a 2-dose vaccination schedule of mRNA-1273 at Day 57.

txmxer 12-01-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodysseus (Post 3663800)
Any follow up on one of them being a covid denier?

Even for those that get COVID, 85% are minimal effect.

Unfortunate that so many only care if the worst case happens to them.

Monocacy 12-01-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3663837)
Looks like they’re experimenting with different dosages. Maybe I’ll get the high dose and something cool will happen, like I’ll grow some sweet goat horns.

Have you heard back from the trial? I thought the Phase 1/2 trials for Moderna and BioNTech were already completed.

Unless they are testing a new and improved version of the vaccines that are currently in Phase 3 trials.

McCready 12-01-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3663855)
Have you heard back from the trial? I thought the Phase 1/2 trials for Moderna and BioNTech were already completed.

Unless they are testing a new and improved version of the vaccines that are currently in Phase 3 trials.

I just signed up tonight. Will post updates if/when I hear anything.

DavidSauls 12-01-2020 09:49 PM

There aren't any trials near me. If I read it right, yours is the only one right now.

Great opportunity to help out, and get ahead of the line, at the same time.

ru4por 12-01-2020 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3663855)
Have you heard back from the trial? I thought the Phase 1/2 trials for Moderna and BioNTech were already completed.

Unless they are testing a new and improved version of the vaccines that are currently in Phase 3 trials.

I think I read that they wanted to test a lower dose vaccine. Indications were that it was nearly as effective as the higher dose just tested. I will look for where I read it.

On a quick side note, a life long family friend of my parents (and obviously mine) just went into the hospital. Early 80's and a COVID scoffer. Occasionally donning a mask, but thinking nothing of going to church, visiting with family and friends. His wife is obviously devastated, too late, but devastated. I am heart broken. It quickly drives home the reality. I have turned up the heat on my mom, trying to be supportive, but leveraging it to help with the next few months. COVID sucks.

Hampstead 12-01-2020 10:22 PM

Anyone who thinks death is the only metric worth measuring clearly hasn't been paying attention.

dehaas 12-02-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3663852)
Even for those that get COVID, 85% are minimal effect.

Unfortunate that so many only care if the worst case happens to them.

Hold up a minute, just because a lot of people are asymptomatic now doesn’t mean there won’t be long term implications.

Remember we’re talking about a virus, so something that doesn’t leave your system. I think we’d all like to think we’re in the clear once the initial recovery has happened, but the truth is nobody knows and right now the focus is on the short term, not the long term. If it does most of its damage in the heart, brain, and lungs that can’t be good in the long run for most people...even if you’re currently in good health.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html

txmxer 12-02-2020 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 3663899)
Hold up a minute, just because a lot of people are asymptomatic now doesn’t mean there won’t be long term implications.

Remember we’re talking about a virus, so something that doesn’t leave your system. I think we’d all like to think we’re in the clear once the initial recovery has happened, but the truth is nobody knows and right now the focus is on the short term, not the long term. If it does most of its damage in the heart, brain, and lungs that can’t be good in the long run for most people...even if you’re currently in good health.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html

Sorry, not what I intended. I'm talking about the deniers that suggest this is the common cold or less. They get it and don't suffer significant or obvious issues, they use that as prima facie evidence that it is not serious.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 06:44 AM

I remember hearing stories of soldiers in Vietnam, saying the worst days were at the end of their tour of duty, as they feared dying before they could go home. Now that the vaccine is a near-certainty -- and I'm at the bottom of the priority list -- I'm starting to feel the same way. The touch of fatalism (do your best to be safe, but you can't protect from everything) replaced by a touch of fear of irony ("he almost made it to the finish line").

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 07:24 AM

I was involved in a heated discussion last night in my small group of 9 on FB. Up to this point I thought they ALL were sensible people. Now the lady in that group who is most easily influenced has an aluminum foil wearing conspiracy theory husband who is getting to her.

Now she, and a couple others who are way left (sorry for the politics) is now worried about the vaccine.

NOW you don't want to believe science? :thmbdown:

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3663930)
I was involved in a heated discussion last night in my small group of 9 on FB. Up to this point I thought they ALL were sensible people. Now the lady in that group who is most easily influenced has an aluminum foil wearing conspiracy theory husband who is getting to her.

Now she, and a couple others who are way left (sorry for the politics) is now worried about the vaccine.

NOW you don't want to believe science? :thmbdown:

The flip side of that coin is the science deniers, particularly those of a partisan persuasion, touting the vaccine as a great accomplishment after dismissing the facts about the virus itself.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 08:22 AM

I find some people think that people are dismissing the facts about COVID by simply not living in fear of it.

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663950)
I find some people think that people are dismissing the facts about COVID by simply not living in fear of it.

Describe what this means, please.

JedV 12-02-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663950)
I find some people think that people are dismissing the facts about COVID by simply not living in fear of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3663953)
Describe what this means, please.

Si. Non comprednde, senior.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663950)
I find some people think that people are dismissing the facts about COVID by simply not living in fear of it.

Odd, I find "not living in fear" to be a phrase mostly used by people who equate ignorance with courage.

Probably not you, but the people I encounter every day.

Which is easily recognized, as they spout both this bravado, and false statements about the virus, and science in general. The connection is obvious. And the phrase is thrown out as a dismissal of those who are trying to reduce the real-world damage caused by the virus.

Of course, some may be fully aware of the consequences, and willing to accept them. I'm not about to characterize everyone.

ru4por 12-02-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3663953)
Describe what this means, please.

I find this is usually an unanswered question. :popcorn:

McCready 12-02-2020 09:28 AM

Interesting. Let’s say I was walking from my car into a gas station to buy a soda and realized I forgot my mask. Instead of walking back to get it, I said screw it, I won’t be in there long. Would this behavior be best classified as:

A. Dismissing the facts of Covid.
B. Not living in fear of the virus.
C. Being too lazy & ignorant to bother worrying about how my actions might affect others.
D. All of the above.

etdefender19 12-02-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3663977)
Interesting. Let’s say I was walking from my car into a gas station to buy a soda and realized I forgot my mask. Instead of walking back to get it, I said screw it, I won’t be in there long. Would this behavior be best classified as:

A. Dismissing the facts of Covid.
B. Not living in fear of the virus.
C. Being too lazy & ignorant to bother worrying about how my actions might affect others.
D. All of the above.

All of the above, but particularly C
Go back to your damn car

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3663953)
Describe what this means, please.

At least to me, when people "dismiss the facts", they are denying they are true, exist, etc.

To not live in fear of it, to me, means that even though I recognize the threat is real, I will from time to time take measured risks. Will I go into the gas station for a soda without my mask? Yes. Will I go to a very crowded mall or store without one? No. Will I get unreasonably angry when I see someone without a mask? No.

I think its kind of like cigarette smoking. Everyone knows it can cause cancer, but some people do it anyway. Not living in fear of it.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3663988)
Go back to your damn car

No. I wont.

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663998)
At least to me, when people "dismiss the facts", they are denying they are true, exist, etc.

To not live in fear of it, to me, means that even though I recognize the threat is real, I will from time to time take measured risks. Will I go into the gas station for a soda without my mask? Yes. Will I go to a very crowded mall or store without one? No. Will I get unreasonably angry when I see someone without a mask? No.

I think its kind of like cigarette smoking. Everyone knows it can cause cancer, but some people do it anyway. Not living in fear of it.

Me going back to the car isn't because I feel fear. It's because I care.

Just different types I guess.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 10:20 AM

I guess I am not the type that has to prove how "woke" I am.

ru4por 12-02-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664000)
No. I wont.

You are so blindly self centered, I tend to believe you have little understanding of the entire concept of fear.

Fear is not a choice. How you deal with it is. The least courageous action I can imagine, is the dismissal of how your actions impact your fellow man.

This self proclaimed interwebz badassery routine is stale. Your posting screams narcissism and fear.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 10:21 AM

Where, in the realm of "not living in fear" and "not dismissing facts", does the willingness to promote the virus spread fall?

"I'm not in fear of giving the virus to others."?

"I don't understand that the mask is about not spreading the virus to others."?

"I'll fearlessly accept the risk of catching the virus, and just as fearlessly spread it to others before I become symptomatic."?

Streets 12-02-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663998)
I think its kind of like cigarette smoking. Everyone knows it can cause cancer, but some people do it anyway. Not living in fear of it.

I'm glad you chose this metaphor...it actually fits really well. When you don't wear a mask, it's not just you that's being put at risk but everyone you might be around. Similar to secondhand smoke.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 10:30 AM

True, though secondhand smoke doesn't cause nearly as much damage, nor does the secondhand smoke I give to a stranger, keep spreading to that stranger's family and connections.

If Covid would just afflict the fearless, I'd be much more impressed by their courage.

McCready 12-02-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664006)
I guess I am not the type that has to prove how "woke" I am.

Yeah, it’s clear you enjoy the negative attention you’re getting over this. From people who in your mind are the “woke” types. And this is a good illustration of why we lead the world in deaths. “Not living in fear” is a type of virtue signaling among people of a certain political bent.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 11:12 AM

I am not seeking nor enjoying the negative attention. I am also not trying to prove how tough or unafraid I am.

Monocacy 12-02-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663998)
To not live in fear of it, to me, means that even though I recognize the threat is real, I will from time to time take measured risks. Will I go into the gas station for a soda without my mask? Yes. Will I go to a very crowded mall or store without one? No. Will I get unreasonably angry when I see someone without a mask? No.

I think we all take measured risks, but assessing risk and taking reasonable precautions is different than "living in fear."

For example: I do not want to starve to death so I need food. Different ways of obtaining food have different levels of risk - curbside delivery, masking up and going to the grocery store, ordering take-out food, dining outdoors at a restaurant, dining indoors at a restaurant, having random strangers pre-chew my food, etc.

The phrase "living in fear" is pejorative, implying that there is something wrong with people who assign higher importance to a particular risk. Perhaps those people have different risks than you do (health conditions, grandma living at home, etc.).

I think the main point that people are trying to make is that measuring risk in a pandemic involves measuring risks to oneself AND risks to others.

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664033)
I am not seeking nor enjoying the negative attention. I am also not trying to prove how tough or unafraid I am.

You kind of start these strings with your comments. Claiming those who disagree with you are doing it in "fear" is something that will always get replies.

I am sure you already know this but do it anyway.

BogeyNoMore 12-02-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3664064)
....having random strangers pre-chew my food, etc.

Yum!
I was betting big on this being the next big food fad and invested heavily... thanks Covid! :mad:

BogeyNoMore 12-02-2020 12:45 PM

Seems DD be trolling for ....us.

Make sure you set the hook before you pump and reel DD!

jakebake91 12-02-2020 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3664077)
Seems DD be trolling for ....us.

Make sure you set the hook before you pump and reel DD!

And many of us, myself chief amongst them, just can't helping feeding the poor trolls once and awhile.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.